Hierbabuena

4362-2542

Av. Caseros 454 (at Defensa), Buenos Aires, Argentina

Serves meat, vegan options available. A nice place that's nearly all vegetarian, with occasional fish dish. The focus is on natural ingredients, fruit and vegetable. Interesting range of salads (all vegan) including a falafel salad and a green curry salad with vegan cheese. Variety of fruit/vegetable smoothies (some with yogurt), lemonade, and other fruit juices.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Blacklizard

No place for a vegan - Edit

Yes, the restaurant is really beautifully decorated, has a nice location and super friendly staff... BUT as a vegan you are seriously limited here.

Every meal opens with bread and a spread... which is not vegan. Then every client gets an appetizer, except if you're vegan, then there's nothing for you. There is one, I repeat ONE, vegan main course, which is a bit of rice and vegetables wokked in soy sauce... basically what I make if I'm too lazy to cook well (but still it tastes better than what's served there). There's one other dish they can 'veganize', which is the mushroom burger: you get the simple bread then as their awesome homemade bread that makes this dish awesome has eggs, they then leave out all non-vegan ingredients without replacing them. The burger was ok. There are some salads though, if you're a fan. Getting 2 entrees (of which there are about 3 vegan) is also no solution as they cost almost as much as the main course and are seriously small (never paid like 15 dollars for 1 roll - 5 little pieces - of sushi, especially not in Argentina). Yes, it's really expensive here too, compared to the standard (even upscale) restaurant in Buenos Aires.

You can tell the cooks are not vegan, as they don't know how to make vegan food taste really good, other than throwing vegan ingredients together. My omnivore mother, who ordered vegetarian quesadillas, DID love her food, and she had a whole menu to choose from...

Because oh yeah: The sign outside says its a vegetarian restaurant... but unless you don't consider fish as animals, I beg to disagree.

Nice restaurants for omnivores, but it doesn't belong on Happy Cow... because I found it here I was mislead to go there.

Pros: Beautiful decoration, Super friendly staff, Nice location

Cons: VERY limited vegan options, The vegan options you have don't taste good

BudgetBucketList 10 Dec 2016 - Oh and reading the other reviews... there is a table charge now, charged p.p.

Amazing food! - Edit

This was, hands down, the favorite restaurant we ate at in Buenos Aires (and a group of 7, including 5 meat eaters, mostly agreed on this). The menu is not huge but has a nice variety, from sandwiches to salads, curries, and artichoke gnocchi. I really cannot recommend this place highly enough. Plus the atmosphere is warm and quaint. The only downside is that it is in a bit of a dangerous neighborhood, so you should asked the staff to call for a taxi in advance (rather than waiting outside) if you go there at night. Also, they seem to expect reservations and appeared a bit put off that we arrived there without one.

Pros: excellent food, nice variety, cozy atmosphere

Cons: dangerous neighborhood at night, should make reservations

Beautiful restaurant, good choice in San Telmo - Edit

We ate at Hierbabuena twice. It is a lovely restaurant on a picturesque block of Avenida Caseros, with nice outdoor seating and a nice interior as well. The menu is virtually 100% vegetarian, with only one token chicken dish and one salmon salad that I could see. The first time we ate there was for lunch (be sure to get there by 4:00 PM, they stop serving most of the menu after that, and dinner does not start until 8:30 PM). I had the falafel salad, and my wife had a curry salad, and both were delicious, two of the best salads we have had in BsAs. They served a free appetizer(sushi rice with pickled cucumber) that was outstanding. I checked the bill -- it really was free, there was no "cubierto" table service charge. One of their specialities is lemonade with other fruits mixed in -- they have several different varieties, and the one we had was great. The service was great, and I really fell in love with the location, so I wanted to go back for dinner. Everything we ate was vegan -- there are many vegan choices on the menu.

Dinner one week later didn't turn out quite so well. The main problem was the service; the waiters seemed very disorganized, and they left us sitting at the table without menus or anything until we finally had to ask for menus. We saw several other tables waiting for a very long time to try and get their bills, so we wisely asked for our bill as soon as the waiter brought our dinner orders. Our friend had the vegetarian pizza, which came with just a small amount of parmesan cheese and a lot of leafy greens -- it was very good, with a good crust. I had the mushroom burger, which I did not like as much, but the potatoes and side salad were excellent. My wife had the yamani rice wok dish, which she found to be bland and boring, with too much soy sauce and too few vegetables or any other spices. Nevertheless, I'm still fond of this restaurant, and think it is a good choice in San Telmo.

Pros: Beautiful location, Diverse menu, Many vegan options

Cons: Service can be very slow

Return to Buenos Aires Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hierbabuena closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.