Hidden Peak Teahouse

831-423-4200

1541 Pacific Ave Ste C (at inside alleyway), Santa Cruz, California, USA, 95060

A teahouse that asks the guests to put away digital devices at the door. Offers a large variety of loose leaf teas by the cup or brew. Small plates of food available include dumplings, hummus with raw crackers, and sweets. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-9:30pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, Chinese

First Review by Conniemm

Nice break from the hectic world - Edit

We visited in the afternoon for tea, knowing from previous reviews that the food options are limited. The server taught taught us the tea ritual, and we enjoyed trying two different types of tea. The vibe is so relaxing and quiet, and I loved that we had to turn our phones off. We had a snack which was good (sorry, can't remember the name), but really the tea house is about the experience. I have to say I really loved it, but again do not come here hungry!!

Pros: calming tea house, all vegan snacks

Cons: VERY limited snack options

Great place to get some quiet time - Edit

Sip some tea, eat some snacks and read. Do something other than playing on your phone (I really like that they have a no electronics policy). Really relaxing. Its tucked away in-between the antique store across the street from jamba juice and the free 3 hour parking lot behind the antique store.

Pros: Good tea, No electronics, Quiet and relaxing

Cons: Portions for snacks aren't great for price

Not a restaurant! - Edit

This is not a restaurant. It's a tea house.
The place serves snacks - mainly hummus and a variety of nuts and dried fruits.
There are also raw desserts - we had the peanut butter and chocolate which was okay, and the orange cashew cream with chocolate which was really good!

Pros: good raw desserts

Cons: not a restaurant, the snacks are mediocre

Snacks only - Edit

I stopped by for tea. They have a wide variety of teas. I tried the pu-erh, elaborately served. for snacks, I had the live flax crackers with hummus and tomato "pizza". These were nice, but just snack sized.

Relaxing experience/good snacks - Edit

While the tea is the star at this tea house, I came to check out the snacks. If you're into tea and tea rituals, you would probably love this place.

The tea house serves only vegan food. You can sit outside on the patio, which we did, or inside which has a nice peaceful ambiance with soft music playing.

We ordered the Vegetable Dumplings which were my favorite. They were small dumplings stuffed with veggies and garnished with pickled vegetables. Really tasty.

We also had the Vegetable Baozi which is described as a large hand-made steamed bun filled with local organic cabbage, ginger, and sesame. It was bready and the filling was delicious.

The third thing we tried was the Gomashio Rice Balls which were good but not my top pick because while the outside flavoring was good, the inside was just plain white rice.

The very friendly owner chatted with us and before we left he did a little tea ritual with us which was pretty fascinating. He explained how the aged tea comes in pressed blocks and he poured boiling water over the cups and into the little pot before serving us. It was pretty cool.

These are advertised as snacks so I don't necessarily think this is a lunch or dinner destination but I think that if you want to come for tea and eat with it, you would feel satisfied.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Tasty snacks, Friendly staff

Conniemm 16 Nov 2016 - I visited again in November 2016. Unfortunately, they have cut way back on their food menu. The only savory food they have now is the crackers and hummus and raw tomato tartine. If you're coming for the tea you have a lot to choose from but if you're looking for lunch, as we were, you might be disappointed.

Return to Santa Cruz Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hidden Peak Teahouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.