Hicuri

• Vegan
Contact 858987473

Calle Santa Escolastica, Esquina Plaza Girones 4, Granada, Spain,

Long established vegetarian restaurant and bar, switched to vegan in 2013, and added a shop in 2014. Offers natural juices and smoothies, roasted veggies, and house specialty lasagna. Options without gluten, sugar, soy. Artistic space.

Category: Vegan, Italian, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Spanish

First Review by Zach S

excelent! - Edit

During summer they open from 11am to 4:30pm, i went for lunch and had the tofu and mushrooms over rice and it was amazing!!! I loved it, they even refered me to other vegan restaurants.

They constantly change the 'plato del día' so you can have a first course dish, second course, beverage and dessert for €13 or you can decide directly from the menu.

Cons: they only open for lunch during summer time

Good daily menu - Edit

We had a nice daily menu at Hicuri. The food was tasty, the staff very friendly. They also sell good smoothies.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

Cons: Closed in the evenings - check the opening times!

go here! - Edit

Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, and good food with many many choices. I got the 13.40 menu del dia option which seemed worth it for all that I got. More restaurant like and slightly less casual than other nearby vegan option El Piano.

AMAZING!!! - Edit

Hicuri is such a good little restaurant. The waitress was very friendly, and the food was delicious. I got the Ratatouille, and it was amazing!!! It had potatoes, vegetables, and vegan sausage in a tomato sauce. Sooo good. The sausage tasted like real sausage. It was impressive! The portion was perfect for me. I left feeling satisfied but not overly stuffed.

Quality food, cozy restaurant - Edit

We tried this restaurant upon happy cow user ratings and it was a good choice indeed! Beautiful paintings on the wall, good atmosphere, very friendly service with good English. The food was excellent including juice and dessert, we tried lasagna (5*), seitan (4), energizing juice (5*), coconut ice-cream and carrot cake (5-5). The amount could have been more, cause the main dish + dessert was not enough for dinner.
We would choose it next time again!

Pros: polite and friendly staff, quality food, cozy place and nice music

Cons: not so cheap, small main dishes

Great food - Edit

Being a vegan/ macro, eating out in Granada is very difficult but yesterday I discovered Hicuri! Great food, juices, & service & above all some of the delicious desserts are sugar free! Yes! This place is highly recommended!

Busy friendly restaurant - Edit

We had lunch here. The hot soup was really delicious and just great on a cold wet day. My friend had couscous which was tasty and the cakes were really tasty. They have a good variety of hot and cold drinks including juices. staff very friendly. Warning at lunchtime around 2pm it gets very busy and hard to get a table. Seems to be very popular with local families.

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff

Cons: gets busy

Great Flavour - Edit

We were only here for "happy hour" and had a nice little taste of veggie curry with rice for our tapas. It was quiet mid-afternoon but usually looks pretty busy for normal spanish eating times. We also had a delicious slice of vegan berry cheese cake. Great selection of tea!

Pros: Great food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: No wifi, No outside seating, Expensive

Perfekt vegan Restaurnat / Cafe - Edit

I have been there several times on my visit in Granada. Extensive vegan menu, perfekt friendly service, tasty food and smoothies. Would love to have in my neighbourhood at home !

Pros: perfekt service, nice vibes, delicious food

Delicious food - Edit

I visited this place with 2 friends of mine. The portions were good, the food was presented well and it was affordable. They also had a number of products on sale. Well worth a visit.

Pros: Plenty of options, Good portion size

Cons: Difficult to locate

Busy restaurant, good food, good atmosphere - Edit

We came in here for lunch on a Monday afternoon. It was very busy, and to have a vegan restaurant that busy is pleasing but we did have to wait half an hour for a table. Staff were really helpful and friendly despite the clear pressure. Not sure if it is always this busy but perhaps worth booking ahead. Nevertheless it was worth the wait.We had the menu of the day which offered a good choice. Starters that we shared - lentil soup, salad - were fairly standard. Tofu rice dish for main was pretty good, and burger was just a burger but still nice. The menu includes a drink and the juices were really really good, and as for desert - yum yum yum -oh my the carrot cake was incredible. I left feeling full and satisfied.

Pros: Good range of choices on the day menu, Inexpensive, Amazing juices and deserts

Cons: Busy - perhaps worth phoning ahead

Hit and miss food and service - Edit

This place wasn't bad by any means, but the food and service could've been better. While there was a large range of food options, some of it wasn't very nice (though some options were quite tasty). Furthermore, on some items the portion sizes don't seem very good for the amount that you get. The people there are nice, but at night time the service can be just a little slow. Would still recommend :)

Pros: some nice food, mostly good service, great, central location

Cons: some quite unpleasant food, occasionally slow service

First class food and service - Edit

Excellent choice of food, served in pleasant modern surroundings and served by friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Great value menu del dia. Take away available and products available for sale.

highly recommended - Edit

We went here on our last night in Granada and wished we had tried it earlier. We both got the menu which was very good value including three courses of food and a drink. The food was of very good quality and tasty and the guy who served us was very friendly and helpful. If we'd this place earlier in our visit we would have come back to try more of the menu.

Pros: Good value, Good food, Friendly staff

good variety of food for vegans - Edit

I liked the food and especially the restaurant itself which is nice looking. It's good that they also have some vegan messages, for example on the menu. They have quiet a broad choice but most of the main dishes are made with either soya or wheat which makes it easy to create nice looking dishes for people who are not familiar with veganism but I personaly prefer not such supplements in my meal. It was delicious though, nothing to say about that.

Pros: all vegan, attracts also non-vegans

Cons: lot of soya and wheat products in the me, a bit pricier than others

Nice range of options for vegans in Granada - Edit

This was a nice little cafe/restaurant not far from the Alhambra. There was a good range of choices on the menu, and the staff were friendly and helpful. I had a vegan burger which was decent and tasty, though not the healthiest thing on the menu. Desserts were a highlight, especially the tiramisu, as well as the delicious smoothies. All in all we had a good meal in a great environment.

Pros: Great range, Nice atmosphere, Vegan desserts

fantastic! - Edit

We have been twice already and brought non-veg family with us too. It's got fabulous juices and we love the tostadas, the thick gazpacho soup, the croquettes, seitan dish and the smoothies. We will like go back the next few days as well :)

Pros: good selection for all tastes, vegan. no questions needed , open all day

Cons: a little slow - esp when busy, wish they were open for breakfast!

Smashing place to eat - Edit

Found this oasis of 'real food' on the edge of all the tapas restaurants in the centre. Extensive vegan menu, not too expensive and well worth the little extra not to have to hunt for rare vegetarian dishes elsewhere ! And unlike many veggie restaurants it is open all day and evening. Friendly staff who understand English; and attractive interior decoration.
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 07, 2015

Pros: Real food, Nice atmosphere, Open all day

Cons: Use of meat substitutes in some meals

yummy vegan food and great variety - Edit

My partner and I visited Hicuri 3 times over our 2 day stay in Granada! Twice for lunch and once for dinner. The menu is the same so we enjoyed trying all of the dishes. I would recommend the lasagne and croquettes they are both very tasty! Every juice and smoothie we tried we really enjoyed, the smoothie with peanut butter is amazing! The staff are very friendly and speak great English.
The only downside to this restaurant is that there is a lot of mock meat. I prefer fresh vegetable dishes over mock meat but understand why they use these
Proteins. Thanks for feeding us for two days Hicuri!

Pros: tasty, many options, juices and smoothies

Cons: mostly mock meat

Good food - Edit

We ate dinner and lunch here while in Granada. The food was all very good with generous portions. The tostados (toasted bread topped with avocado, etc.) were very good. I really enjoyed the couscous veggie meal and my husband liked the lasagna. Most of the items on the menu contain tofu/seitan which I'm not a big fan of but there were a few other options. The chocolate cake and tropical smoothie were really good. They have a combo on the menu where you can pick a starter, an entree, a dessert, and drink for 12.80 euro. The servers were all friendly and spoke some English. The location is close to Plaza Nueva so it's convenient if you're in the tourist area of Granada.

Great Quality Although Not Inexpensive - Edit

This is indeed what you would call a good restaurant. The environment is very friendly and relaxed, the food is of great quality and you can tell the staff puts their hearts into their jobs. They even have a small corner reserved to selling a good variety of vegan goodies (cheese, sausages, frozen meals, snacks) for actual cheap prices - however, I'll have to disagree both with the classification of "inexpensive" this place holds and the generous portion sizes it was claimed to have which are quite relative concepts anyway (the majority of restaurants in Granada are quite expensive, yes, but that doesn't make Hicuri cheap and I like to feel full after a meal, which resulted in me feeling compelled to buy an entrée and a dessert).
Many people make reservations in advance and the place is busy (when I went there about 4 tables were being prepared) so perhaps try and come a bit before regular Spanish eating hours.

Pros: quality of food, environment , location

Cons: portion sizes, more expensive than expected

The burgers are good - Edit

I got the "pollo" burger for 6,90€ and it was very good but didn't leave me full.
It has lots of things on the menu and all sound good.
The bad thing, in my opinion, is that, for main dishes of around 7€, the portions were not big enough. Since it seems too have a lot of clientele I hope they change that.

The place also sells vegan stuff like cheese and other goodies.

Pros: good food, nice staff, comfortable

Cons: small portions for the price

Delicious food; good value - Edit

Food was excellent; portions were large; service perfect - that about says it all. For a Wednesday lunch the place was packed. As best we could tell we were the only non-Spanish people in the place. At one table there were 6 older women showing pictures (grandchildren we think); at another table were six adults and two toddles (who were wandering around the restaurant food in hand) having a leisurely lunch, at another table a young couple; my point - the type of dinner was very varied and everyone seemed to be enjoying their lunch. As they say, eat were the locals eat and you rarely go wrong. Eat here and you will eat right.

Pros: food quality, portion size

Cons: noisey, crowded (but in a good way)

Tasty Tostadas! Great Location. - Edit

Cool, artsy vibe. Very good menu. The Vegan cheese on the tostadas was the best I have tasted. Thank goodness I bought a few to take away for my train journey. Nice deli fridge to buy packaged goods from. I stocked up. Great friendly service. Excellent location en route to the Alhambra, it's basically at the foot of it - near the bus stop that takes you up to the palace.

Pros: Menu Selection, Well located, Takeaway

Excelent! Highly recommended! - Edit

One of the best vegan restaurants I had ever been. They have a very varied menu, with a delicious menu of the day. Hicuri offers many options not just for lunch, but breakfast or even if you want some snack.

Don't forget to see the products in the store.

Pros: Excelent food, Good price, Service

Yummy! - Edit

This was my first taste of what vegan food is like in Granada. The place was quite busy for a Monday morning, and the staff was polite. But the food was nothing extraordinary, especially in comparison to what vegan restaurants in Sevilla have to offer. I had sopa de garbanzos, lasaña vegana, and la tarta de chocolate as the plato del día. The soup was quite good, really. The lasaña was mediocre, but not bad. Perhaps I had high expectations because a previous HappyCow user had been raving about it! The tarta was alright, but a little on the dry side. The house white wine was very refreshing and the dipping sauce they provided with my tapa of carrots and crackers included the perfect combination of spices. I'm really looking forward to returning, and being able to try some more of Hicuri's dishes!

**I must have just selected the wrong dishes when I first went, because I've since returned and everything I've ordered has been extraordinary! The juices are delicious, the gazpacho is everything gazpacho should be, and the seitan and veggie dish was super tasty! Also, try the Tiramisu, it's the best I've had!

Updated from previous review on Thursday October 02, 2014

Pros: Inexpensive, refreshing house white wine, tasty soup

Cons: Tarta de chocolate was a little dry, lasaña vegana was mediocre, portions could be slightly larger

Outstanding Gourmet Vegan Food! - Edit

I have eaten there 3 times and I found the food to be amazing. The entree, the 2 types of soup I've had, the green detox smoothie, and desert all taste very gourmet - such wonderful flavors. On the menu, there is a reduced price for ordering an entree and 2 other items from a special section. The restaurant is very charming in decor - the photos do not do it justice. The staff is very helpful, friendly and attentive. The only thing is that sometimes the service is slow - not because the waitress is inefficient - she is in constant motion and seems to be well attuned to everyone. It could be because I went during the busiest time or maybe they are short staffed. Their hours are longer than other restaurants in Granada. Most close about 2 hours earlier for siesta during the day.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 16, 2014

Good value for money - Edit

The food was not special and actually it wasn't even hot when served but I still think this place is a nice option for vegan food in Granada as the value for money is good.
The staff is also really friendly.

Pros: good price, friendly staff

Great choice! - Edit

Staff are really friendly and attentive to what you do/don't eat and made me a dish especially to my needs (vegan/dairy & gluten free). Great smoothies too, including fruit, green and milk (soy available). Wide range of veg/vegan dishes off the menu and the daily menu also have choice. Nice chilled vibe.

Pros: Inexpensive, good quality food, attentive and friendly staff

Cons: no outdoor seating

Amazing! - Edit

We went to three vegan places in Granada and this one was our favourite by far. The atmosphere is great. The waitress is super nice and the food is the best. It was so good that we had to go back a second time. I had the oriental seitan and a crepe with banana ice cream and chocolate sauce for desert. The second time I had the burger which was the best veggie burger ever (because of its delicious salad creme). I can only recommend this place! Prices are good. Mains, deserts and drinks for 2 people around 25 Euros.

Pros: Freshly prepared Food, Lovely service, Great selection

Lots of vegan options, okay dinner - Edit

We visited Hicuri in May 2013 while in Granada. The menu seemed entirely vegan, which I loved. So lots of options. We ate inside and we were the only ones there, though it was early for Spain (7pm). The inside wasn't great - we definitely would have preferred outside seating. We ordered several dishes - falafel, curried seitan, cous cous, with the chocolate crepe for dessert. Everything was pretty good...though not the most flavorful or seemingly fresh. The staff was nice and helpful.

Pros: Wide vegan variety, Really tasty dessert, Large portions

Cons: No outside seating, Not the most flavorful or fresh

really good food - Edit

we have been there in summer 2012. the food was the best food during our spain trip (some cities). really nice choise and it was very delicious and the price was ok.

atmosphere was nice, not too many people and the waitress was very kind.

Great place - Edit

We had a pleasant lunch here and returned for dinner the next day. The waiter was careful to ask what kind of vegetarians we were and what we could eat and not eat. There were lots of choices on the menu. A number of items were marked as gluten free. Friendly staff, pleasant decor and warm room for December.

Great Local Lunch Spot - Edit

Not sure why this is listed as having meat dishes. It was all vegetarian with a good amount of vegan options when I was there earlier this month. I had a wonderful Asian noodle dish with seitan. Freshly prepared I was happily surprised to find it tastier with delicate flavors that I was not expecting. I was in a rush to make it to my appointment at the Hammam and they were able to take care of me. A great local spot. Hours have changed recently so be sure to double check.

Pros: Food, Value

Nice Food - Edit

There are not many vegan options in Granada, and that is the best I have tried so far. The waitress asked several times the cook about the ingredients so that we could eat, and offered some solutions whenever the dish had something that was not vegan. Prices are OK.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, cosy place

Cons: serves meat

curious place - more for locals - Edit

i had the feeling that this resto was better for those in the know... some of the "rules" regarding the prix fixe menu, opening times, and what could be served at certain times (even where we were allowed to sit) were under some sort of established formula an outsider could not fathom. however, the food was decent for the 12.50 euro price (3 courses), and the waiter was patient and spoke english. smoking indoors (perhaps even 420 friendly?) but the ventilation was so good it didn't bother us.
smoothies & driinks only until dinnertime, about 8 or 9pm. small menu, which indicated a breakfast. seasonal gazpacho only (apr-oct). Tried the soup, salmon on rice, coucous with avocado, and a mystery wine.

Pros: good value, english, informal

Cons: esoteric, odd hours, smoking

Good Food, Great Vibe, Friendly Staff - Edit

My wife & I arrived hungry, a short while before they were changing from Breakfast to Lunch. We had a fine tea & toast as we briefly waited for mixed vegetables over rice. The staff was singing & dancing to the radio as they changed meals & menus. Great decor & ambiance. It wasn't elegant or gourmet, but it was very satisfying.

Pros: good vegan food, super friendly, good vibe/ambiance

Comida Excelente! - Edit

This wonderful cafe advertises on their card that they specialize in vegetarian cuisine and teas. Their tofu with spinach and whole rice is absolutely delicious and only 5.50 eur. Their couscous with vegetables is also quite good and is available for the same price. Although not 100% vegetarian, it's some of the best food a veggie will have in Granada. Unfortunately, like nearly every restaurant in the city, they allow smoking which can occasionally ruin an otherwise great experience.

Pros: Delicious Food, Reasonable Prices, Pleasant Staff

Cons: Smoking, Limited Dinner Hours

Return to Granada Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hicuri closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8626 times since Aug 2007.