Heureuse Vie

Contact 011-2138678

Odori Nishi 25-chome, 1-2 Heartland Maruyama, Building 5F, Sapporo, Japan,

Vegan cafe in Sapporo. Has vegan burger and small plates, raw food and cakes, herbal drinks, coffee, and smoothies. Directions: take Tozai line to Maruyama Koen stop, exit 5. The cafe is located at on the 5th floor of the Heartland Maruyama building. Open Wed-Sat 11:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Organic, Raw, Juice bar

First Review by eatinggreen

Fantastic! - Edit

I went visited this restaurant in 2011, and I am still thinking about it years later. I got their raw lunch set and it was sooo good. If I ever go to Sapporo again I will definitely stop by. It looks like none of the other reviewers tried the raw vegan set. You guys are missing out on the main appeal! I also got a smoothie, which was fantastic as well. I love this place. I'm so happy to see they are still in business years later.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 30, 2015

Pros: Awesome, Amazing, Fantastic

Cons: None!

Really delicious crunchy soy meat ! - Edit

We got there just as it had opened and as a previous reviewer mentions, the menu wasn't in use and there were just two lunch sets to choose from, one was a raw set but we chose the "vegan lunch set" which was soy meat (daizu) with tomato sauce.

It came with salad, rice and a couple of little sides like hijiki (a type of seaweed), sauerkraut and a delicious little cookie. The tomato sauce had a great flavour and the soy meat was really crunchy and delicious.

Afterwards I asked if they had any raw cakes and they said they had Tirimisu. The cafe had become very busy by then so after a long wait, they finally came, but it seemed they hadn't had enough time to defrost as the middle was still hard and frozen. It was still delicious, but if you plan to order cake it might be good to try asking at the beginning when ordering your meal.

I felt like since there were only two members of staff, the waits for food were longer so it's better to go on a day you have a lot of time.

Pros: Really delicious food !, Right next to the station

Cons: Not enough staff, Raw cakes needed more time to defrost

Unreliable opening hours, but good food. - Edit

Whenever I go to this place it is closed for serving.
The cafe is run part time by a mother with small children, so she has often apologized to me for not being able to serve (they run a bento service, so the cafe might be open, just not for customers)at times.

They speak no English, but are very nice people. The desserts are very good and the food is delicious. I would try to get here, if you find you can't get any food, there are two other vegan restaurants in the same area in walking distance (Itadakizen and Aoi Sora).

Pros: Good food, Vegan friendly neighbourhood, Hokkaido Jingu close by

Cons: Unreliable opening hours

High on flavour, low on veges - Edit

We arrived for a late lunch to find they had only one lunch set available that consisted of a vege version of fried chicken and rice. Feeling quite disappointed (was hoping for a vege burger and some raw food as the menu suggests are available), we went along with it, having few other options.

We were pleasantly surprised with the flavours. The fried "chicken" was the closest to the real thing we've ever tasted and was made of seitan so no MSG laden concoctions. Highly commendable. Upon our request they provided us with an extra large salad, which to be honest still wasn't sufficient as it was the only vegetable in sight and was a side plate at best. Don't come here for a nutritional boost. Even the "green" smoothie was struggling to maintain its green hue for all the fruit in there. The purple and orange smoothies were essentially all fruit as well but all tasted good.

We're not sure if the lack of options was because we got there late or because they are cutting back to achieve some cost efficiencies. We suspected the latter but may be wrong. Didn't get the feeling the raw desserts were likely to be forthcoming on future visits either.

The location is in a shopping mall which is not a plus for us (that stale fluorescent vibe) but there aren't any other shops around it so it's not too terrible.

When we were there a raw chocolate making workshop was in swing. We overheard some rather interesting claims being made, such as "raw nuts contain live enzymes so they won't make you fat" etc which raised our eyebrows somewhat (we love raw chocolate but are not deluding ourselves here!)

All in all, we would go back again but not for a serious meal, it'd be more just a flirtation with flavour.

Pros: flavours/textures are well constructed, organic ingredients, clean, well lit environment

Cons: not so nutritious, not a lot on offer (menu not in use), shopping mall location

Return to Sapporo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Heureuse Vie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.