Het Zaanse Bakkertje

• Bakery Bakery

Lagedijk 11a, Zaandijk, Netherlands, 1544 BA

Bakery offering a lot of vegan options like croissants, muffins and savory stuffed breads, especially on Friday and Saturday. Also some traditional Dutch delicacies such as 'gevulde koek'. Vegan options are labelled and the staff is knowledgeable about veganism. Could eat on the little terrace outside the store or take the food to the Zaanse Schans across the river for a picknic. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-5:00pm.

First Review by Cornelie

combine this place with a walk through the Zaanse Schans - Edit

This is a regular / traditional bakery with a vegan bakery within. On saterday they have all the vegan food they offer, other days just a part.

If you want to be sure they have your required food at the day you visit please make sure you have already ordered it in their webshop. (And even in that case you are not sure they still have it. I made a big order once, and had to pay (a lot of money) in advance. When I came to pick up my stuff at the time we agreed, they sold a part of my already payed stuff to other people!!!!!)

Staff can be incredible rude and unfair. One guy who is working there is completely different, he is very respectful and works in a very hygienic way (he also works at veg festivals sometimes)!

It is nice that they have all these vegan options (you can also order online and choose delivering in the Netherlands (and probably Belgium). Which is great of course!

Not everything of their vegan food is spectaculair in my opinion. Most of their bread is -in my opinion- not good enough for a bakery.

If you can't choose between the amount of vegan food that will overwhelm you, check out the 'gevulde kook'(filled cookie, typically Dutch) which is amazing!!! As are the nusstorte, and the nussrondo.
Savory nice options are the seitan, mushroom or sweet potato or the cheese croissants / pesto variation. (They don't look like croissants though). Note that the savory once are actually only tasty if served warm.

If you come at Saturday to check out their full vegan selection note that some stuff are really early sold out... No inside seating.

Updated from previous review on 2018-01-23

Pros: Lot of vegan options, some options are amazing!, close to Zaanse Schans nice combination!

Cons: mostly very rude staff, expensive, already payed doesn't mean they won't sell again

Yunus 10 Feb 2018 - Dear Aplant,
first of all thank you for your extended review and your nice words for the boy (that's me! :D). Although most of your text isn't constructive feedback, we took this as feedback as well and we've communicate this to all our workers. Your opinion that our bread is not good enough for a bakery hurts us a little. Our bakery stands now for 22 years and since 2016 we extended our assortment with vegan products as the first vegan bakery in the Netherlands. Our bakers are in love with bread, and the love from our vegan customers and positive reactions/vibes for our vegan assortment motivate them to go further. You mentioned the products are expensive. This is suprising, because we try to keep the prices the same with our regular non-vegan products despite of the vegan products is more costly to make for us. Comparing the prices of a traditional hand-made bakery with prices of long shelf life packed croissants in the supermarket is not fair.
We are sorry that your payed stuff was not available anymore, but i think this is an exception (fault) rather than the rule and in your review it sounds like generalization.
Please contact our bakery by mail (info@veganbakery.nl) so we can compensate your dissatisfaction. We love baking delicious stuff, we love the vegan way of thinking and we try to do our best for satisfied and happy customers!
Kind regards, Yunus (Team Dutch Vegan Bakery)

Wow wow wow - Edit

Super cute little bakery located next to an even cuter windmill town! They had plenty of vegan options clearly marked. Everything was delicious and the cashier was really friendly. Also, everything was super cheap! This shop is perfect for stopping in before walking around the area.

Updated from previous review on 2017-07-01

Pros: amazing pastries, great value

Definitely worth a visit! - Edit

Planned to stop there on a bike ride. Thanks for the little snacks, all delicious and prices are okay.

Had the Bospaddestoelen (mushroom puff pastry) snack and the almond cream sweat treat

The city Zaandijk was smelling chocolate (due to the biscuits and chocolate factory) yumm
please stop there and support vegan options outside the big cities!

Pros: Vegan friendly bakery, excellent food, fair prices

Nice little bakery! - Edit

The bakery is small but has some seating places and, most importantly, a lot of vegan options, both sweet and savoury. Moreover, the staff is wonderful, so friendly and kind. I tried a couple of things and they were all absolutely delicious! Give it a try, you won't regret it.

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-19

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Friendly staff, Dutch specialities

Traditional Dutch Delights! - Edit

Located in a touristy and beautiful place just outside Amsterdam, this bakery is a must! Vegans, and everyone, can sample the typical Dutch treats like filled spice cookies, apple tarts, chocolate brownies and more. There's also great coffee. Many non vegan things but the labels are clear.
The two women working were super friendly and spoke great English, plus the prices are fair.
I just wish there was a bigger seating area so I could stay and enjoy the vibe! So many locals were popping in and out all the time, it was great to see the real Netherlands away from the tourist spots.

Pros: Very friendly, Tasty local treats, Traditional bakery atmosphere

Cons: More seating would be nice

Thanks for baking delicious vegan food! - Edit

They keep making more and more stuff vegan. And I like that they now have a site where you can order, so it is accessible for anyone (I am privileged to live nearby the bakery).

I am in love with the chocolate muffins and the cheese-pesto croissants. Never had anything vegan that tasted like the "original" so good. Everything is nice and moist.

I really wish the bakery and the owners all the luck in the world, as they deserve it. Keep up the good work

Pros: Vegan , Perfect taste, Order online

Best vegan bakery - Edit

I love this place. They have so many delicious vegan things. They also recently opened a webshop: www.veganbakery.nl. If you come to the shop, I recommend ordering ahead or coming early if it's the weekend, otherwise you will be disappointed because the vegan items are very popular!

Pros: So many delicious options, Ordering online is possible

Traditional Dutch bakery goes vegan! - Edit

Lovely little bakery with a rapidly expanding vegan corner. From 'pain au chocolat', cheese onionbread, muffins, (cheese)croissants to white buns: the bakery is making more and more vegan versions tasting just as good or even better :-)

It's definitely worth the short drive or trainride from for instance Amsterdam.

Ask the staff for their vegan options because they often have other (frozen) products in the back.

Pros: Vegan products are clearly marked with a 'V+' in g

The Best Vegan Bakery - Edit

I love het Zaanse Bakkertje.
They are making more and more vegan bread, muffins, croissants, pizzas and so many other delicious goodies.

The staff is really informed and enthusiastic, which is awesome.

This is the only bakery I know that sells all vegan food. And trust me on this, it is soooo good!

Enjoy!

Pros: Delicious food, Only vegan bakery in the neighbourhood, Best service

Contributions +32

Delicious vegan treats! - Edit

Finally a bakery that understands that bread and other treats should come cruelty-free. Please try the "gevulde koeken", they are the best! It is still in process, so I hope that in the near future all the vegan stuff will be in the showcase instead of in the freezer and that the prices will be a bit more profitable to travel for.

Pros: Optional vegan

Cons: Expensive

This place makes me very happy - Edit

This bakery has only just started making vegan stuff and it is already a regular stop on our grocery trips. Everything is delicious and the staff is very kind. Reasonably priced too.

If you are staying in Amsterdam and want to visit the windmills on the Zaanse Schans this is the perfect place to stop by on your walk over from the Koog-Zaandijk train station and get some goodies for a nice picknick.

Pros: Delicious baked goods, Helpful staff, Near the Zaanse Schans

Return to Zaandijk Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Het Zaanse Bakkertje closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.