First Review by Cam

One of my favourite places in Brussels - Edit

I'm a big fan of la Rue Haute so of course I love this place.

They have nice organic beers and vegan food and this for decent prices.

Also, I never had any problem to get a decent vegan meal, at worst one of the items is ovo lacto, but in this case they just replace it by something else ("could I just get more aubergines then pleaaaase?"). So they definitely seem to pay closer attention to vegan needs now - compared to last year's comments

Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 27, 2015

Pros: good food, organic beers, lovely terrasse

Cons: not 100% vegan

Vegan disappointment - Edit

This place is very nice, in a great location in the Marolles and with friendly staff - unfortunately not the place for vegans!

If seems that you're as lucky to find food here as in any other random restaurant around..

They only have one dish/day on the menu - which might be vegan but most of the times contains eggs and/or dairy.

I went there for lunch and they offered some sort of improvised vegan dish as most of the elements in the lunch menu were not vegan.

Finally they gave me a small soup, a small salad (marinated carrot and cabbage) and a ball of white rice (overcooked and plain basmati).

The problem was not only that it was not a proper meal, but also that the flavours were not there - everything was quite tasteless which made me disappointed.

They were nice and tried to offer something but honestly for what they charged (8.5 EUR) I would have been better off going to the supermarket next door and buying some hummus.

Please make sure they give you a proper meal in case they're improvising with what they are serving that day.

Fully vegetarian, hit and miss for vegans - Edit

I hoped to eat lunch here, but the very friendly lady behind the counter informed me that only one soup and main are available each day (fair enough for a co-op!) but that on most days dairy products are used. It really looks like a lovely place to eat, with a great atmosphere, but I'd advise vegans to have a back-up plan in case the meal isn't suitable on that particular day.

Hot water - Edit

L'eau Chaude/Het warm water is a co-op, a little place in the heart of a traditional Brussels neighborhood called Les Marolles.
They serve food from Thursday to Sunday: no menu but a changing dish of the day and soup on Thursday and Friday. Saturday, they make breakfast and Sunday brunch.
I had the brunch (8€ for a small plate, 12€ for the big one), it was simple yet good food: pita bread, hummus, seitan with mushroom, mashed vegetables, gazpacho and a almond pastry. It's cheap and the small plate was enough for me!
A big plus is their selection of drinks and especially their beers: artisan beers from small Belgian breweries! Excellent selection!
I liked the spirit of the place that perfectly fits the neighborhood. I will definitively go back!

Pros: Unexpensive, Cool atmosphere and neigborhood, Simple yet good food

Cons: Not many choices

Return to Brussels Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Het Warm Water closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.