First Review by kothariadi

Lots of stuff - Edit

I'm a regular in this shop, because it offers a wide range of options for vegetarians, vegans, ... I also come here to buy products without refined sugar.

I love walking around here discovering new products every time!

Pros: wide range of options, location

Cons: price

Wide Selection of Healthy and Alternative Products - Edit

Het Natuurhuis is a large supermarket in the centre of Antwerpen, specializing in organic, vegetarian and health food produce.
It had an impressive and wide selection. I enjoyed strolling through the aisles seeing some new foods I had never encountered before.
Some of the prices were a bit expensive but it is to be expected in these places.
One downside is that the staff member serving us at the till was quite unfriendly, not making any effort to smile or make us feel like valued customers.

Pros: Great selection, Vegan stroopwafels!, Nice location

Cons: On the expensive side, Some unfriendly staff

A lot of stuff!!! - Edit

I "surfed " trough the shop, scanning on things I wouldn't see elsewhere. I am not so fond of chickenless or meatless replacements , but they are there. I also discovered a lactose free emmental cheese. And above all I found a whole freezer with ice cream, soy free and diary free. Didn't buy it but will return soon with a special bag to bring it home. I see a lot of women arriving with a bike and a backpack in which they do their groceries. But how do they do when they bought a lot? No parking space for the car. (I'm spoiled with a parking lot in front of the Bioplanet at 300 meter of my home).

Unfortunately, there aren't other options - Edit

This is one of the biggest bio shops in Antwerp (if not the only big one). This company got shops all around Belgium. Unfortunately, they are killing all other little shops. Alas, Natuurhuis offers organic products of all kind, and some non-organic. You will also find vegan options, although it's not nice to have to walk by dead animals while searching for them. The trend in Belgium is to be "bio", however people don't seem to think about the murder of animals as such a bad thing as long as they are "bio". Strange. They even have posters of a so-called "eco" organization promoting their "meat" (Natuurpunt). Anyway, I recommend you to weight your fruits and veggies yourself before going to the cashier, and always check your receipt straight away, since they will overcharge you 3 out of 5 times, believe me, especially with the pay for weight products. Don't be afraid of telling them when they do so.
It's a disgrace that you cannot find a vegan (or even vegetarian only) shop in a big city like Antwerp (or in the flemish part of Belgium! -don't know about the french part-). More shops like Vega-Life in Amsterdam should exist.

Pros: Almost 100% Organic, Some vegan products

Cons: "Bio" animals also suffer, They will overcharge you

Bio shop - Edit

One of the few bio stores in Antwerp.
It's a big shop and they have tasty drinks, rice ice coated with 'milk' chocolate,...
Don't ask anything to the staff , because they are incompetent (they even don't know what vegan is).

Pros: Vegan cookies ..., Big, Central location

Cons: unfriendly staff

Simply excellent! - Edit

With rather few health stores in Antwerp, I was very surprised when I walked into this place. It's literally as big as a medium-sized supermarket!
From fresh grains, nuts, muesli, vegetables, (red) quinoa, soba noodles to teas and medicines ... everything sold in the store is organic and many products are fair trade.
I was delighted to find premium organic Greek extra virgin olive oil, a very large selection of tea bags and tea leaves ... even bio shampoo and soaps.
They even keep organic soft drinks.
Only thing I could not find is fresh acaï berries ... which I've never seen being sold in Belgium anyways.
Also, it is not crazily expensive at all.
From one pure-vegetarian to another, I highly recommend this place.

Pros: Variety, Friendly staff

Return to Antwerpen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Het Natuurhuis Antwerpen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4686 times since Aug 2007.