Het Lachende Varken

• Vegetarian
Contact +31104116148

Vlinderstraat 3 (at near Gerdesiaweg subway station, Kralingen), Rotterdam, Netherlands, 3061 VJ

Neighborhood canteen "The laughing Pig" is a trendy restaurant with eclectic interior. Offers a weekly changing 3-course menu. Vegans call ahead to see what's offered. Reservations recommended. Different chefs and dishes see on FB (in Dutch) for more details. Reported re-opened to HappyCow Jan 11, 2014.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine

First Review by Marco

great place - Edit

I loved the fact that the cook is in the middle of the room and you can watch (and learn) what he actually does. The waiters are kind and the food simple but tasty. A bit far to reach...

Pros: reasonable prices, nice waiters, original setting

Cons: location

Make reservations - Edit

Be sure to make reservations; I once just showed up and got turned away (even though 70% of the tables were still empty). When I did eat dinner there around December '07, it was very reasonably priced and filling. The soup and main that night were Russian-themed, which my companion loved but I felt indifferent to (cabbage - meh). Still, I will definitely go back and bring vegetarian friends with me.

Pros: Cozy atmosphere, Reasonably price, Hearty food

Cons: Need reservations

This pig deserves to laugh! - Edit

If you are into eclectic interior design this is a must see: every lamp and every chair is different, yet it all fits together. The three course dish changes weekly, based on a cuisine type. We happened to be there in the Japanese week. Although we don't care much for Japanese food, the courses looked great, tasted fine and were nutritionally well-balanced. So we will go there again in another week. The location is not in the city centre, but near the 'Gerdesiaweg' subway station.

Pros: good food, distinct interior

Cons: limited choice

Return to Rotterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Het Lachende Varken closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2757 times since Aug 2007.