Hermans Vegetariska Tradgardcafe

Contact 08-6439480

Fjallgatan 23 B (at Tube: Slussen), Stockholm, Sweden, 11628

Stockholm vegetarian restaurant with harbor view. Features a sixteen-course buffet with changing themes for each weekend. Fresh juices include carrot, beet, apple, spirulina and ginger. Previously named Hermans Hojdare. May 2016 reported now fully vegan. Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan, International, Western, Buffet, Juice bar

First Review by Poundie

Great restaurant with very good food! - Edit

The restaurant offers a buffet with plenty of choice for a very reasonable price (which even includes tea or coffee).
The food is really good and spicy with exotic flavours.
The staff is nice and always willing to help you with any information.
The place is located just near the Fotografiska Museum which is perfect is you want to have a meal after seeing an exhibition there!

Pros: Excellent food, View, Price

Cons: No desserts included in buffet price

heavenly food - Edit

let me start by saying i really had no choice but to try everything, so I ate too much and my belly was sore. but everything was absolutely delicious- the lasagne, hummus, potatoes, salads. and the best thing was thay you didnt have to ask if it was vegan. of course it was. and so many people were there which made me happy.

Pros: all vegan, cosy

Love this place! - Edit

Wonderful buffet which had so many options available plus tea and coffee. The night we went there was a BBQ out on the terrace too which was included in the price. Would recommend!

Pros: Range of food, Lovely staff, Beautiful view

Just awesome! - Edit

Great view, all vegan buffet, very friendly staff and super yummy. Nothing to complain it was just perfect. When I visit Stockholm again, I'll definitely come back!Btw if you have - bring your student ID for discount ;)!

All vegan buffet - Edit

I can confirm everything is vegan here, it was the first question I asked! Basically it works like this: you pay first, and then you fill your plate with as much as you can eat. If you want to add dessert to the meal, you will have to pay extra. It is a bit expensive: a meal for 2 was around $53 after the conversion. The food selection was great and I'm glad they have a sign reminding you not to be wasteful and fill your plate only with the amount of food you really need. It's a very generous meal, so pace yourself. We sat inside because it was chilly outside, but you also have that option if you have warm clothes.

Pros: Great vegan food, as much as you can eat, Friendly atmosphere, Outside seating available

Cons: Expensive

Its all good - Edit

Went on a Tuesday after 3p and it was 195DK per person and desserts were half off with purchase of buffet. Coffee and tea included. No alcoholic beverages available.

Went on a Thursday before 3 and it was 100DK per person for takeaway. Desserts were full price. Dine in was 130DK. With takeaway we were given 2 containers per person about 5"x8".

My choice of seating was the patio with umbrellas (and heaters) right off the indoor dining. The open patio just done the steps from the indoor dining/umbrella covered patio had great views too!

Pros: ample options, great views, friendly staff

Cons: not enough to detour me from going, but no alcohol

Lovely - Edit

With so many options on the buffet it's hard to know what to try next. everything was really tasty.The only slight downside is that when we entered it wasn't clear what to do, eventually found the till where you pay and pick up the plate.It would have been nice if some sweet option was part of the buffet as the cakes were a little expensive.We loved it so much we went twice in the short weekend we visited.

Pros: Lots of options, everything vegan

Cons: No desert included in the buffet

Amazing food with a view - Edit

We ate here twice during our visit - once for a late lunch and once for dinner. The evening we went there was a vegan BBQ - including lots of fresh veg and vegan sausages and meatballs. The food is delicious, freshly made and tons of choice. Plus great (free) coffee and amazing cakes and pies! Lovely in summer when you can sit outside and take in the amazing view. Definitely recommend.

Pros: excellent food, great location

amazing vegan food - Edit

I really enjoyed Hermans. The food was amazing and so was the view. I loved the chole masala dish they had. The grilled items were also great. All the food is vegan and the staff were very friendly. Like other buffets, you pay as you walk in then eat! The pay line is also the dessert line which slows things down. Hermans is in the basement of the building.

Pros: all vegan buffet

Cons: confusing to find the first time

A must go in Stockholm - Edit

if you only have 1 day in the city and have to choose for 1 place to eat, this is the one. Everything in the buffet is delicious, cozy environment, amazing view (specially if there are no huge cruise ships on the way:). Went with a meat-eating friend and we all loved it. There is a 50% discount for students which is great but I still found it a bit expensive, but it is totally worth it. Desserts should be included in the buffet though. I had an apple pie with vanilla sauce and it was delicious. Staff is friendly and speak perfect english. I personally think it is great that a restaurant at this beautiful and touristic location offers such good quality vegan food, it promotes the message that vegan food can be delicious to omnivores that decide to stop by unwarned

Pros: great view, great food, discount for students

Cons: a bit pricy

Veggie with a View - Edit

A good selection of items and friendly service. You pay for your plate and then help yourself. Probably not the most inspired set of dishes; fairly familiar if you've been to other restaurants of this style. But everything was fresh, well made and tasty and if you can sit outside or at a table with a view of the water then it really makes your meal special.

Pros: Great location and good size restaurant, Tasty food and good range of tea options included, Friendly staff

Cons: Fairly standard set of dishes

LOVED IT! - Edit

I ate here for lunch with my (meat eating) parents and we all loved it, the food was absolutely delicious. Mouth watering hummus and a fresh bread, along side dishes and dishes of salads and veggie mixes that tasted incredible! You pay per person, then serve up as many times as you like, for someone as passionate about eating as myself, you will find that you will leave this place filled up and happy. The desert bar is also top notch. Highly recommend this place to those who eat large portions of food and want to get a beautiful view of the city

Pros: nice view, nice staff

Cons: kind of hard to find

huge buffet with a view - Edit

We came for an early dinner and verified everything on the buffet was vegan as they were still listed as vegetarian at the time (glad it's been updated). The buffet was huge with lots of variety. The staff were constantly bringing out more food as it was needed. We sat outside on their large multi level patio as it was a perfect Spring evening in May. The view is gorgeous and we got a choice table as we were early. We ate so much. Hermans was by far our favorite place in Stockholm. We wish we could have made it back again.

Pros: now all vegan, huge buffet, gorgeous view

no bio food - Edit

Disappointed that they do not use bio food.
so we must eat the Chemicals.
and they use normal cheap gmo rice also and add sugar to food.

This need to be changed totally Before i would consider to go there again.

Pros: view

Cons: no bio food, gmo rice., added sugar in food

Disappointed - Edit

Mostly cooked dead food, non-organic, loaded with chemicals, dessert is not included in the buffet. You get one plate for the entire meal. The only good thing about this place is the beautiful view. My recommendation is to go there just for dessert and herbal tea and enjoy the view.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-10 21:19:32

Pros: The view is spectacular

Cons: Cooked non-organic vegan food

One of my favourites! - Edit

The food at Hermans is simply great. A wide variety of dishes and flavours, but still a good harmony in flavours so it doesn't get overwhelming. When I visited they had lasagna, multiple salads, a "chicken" salad (vegan and so good), hummus, tapenade and a couple other spreads, roasted potatoes, yellow rice, chana masala, thai green curry and localy baked bread. They also have some seeds and spices that you can sprinkle on your food. I ate almost 3 plates of food and a cup of organic tea. The price is great considering the amount of food you can eat and that everything is organic. The view of Stockholm is one of the best and the garden outside is really nice.

Pros: Organic and awesome food, Great place

Cons: A little pricy (although you get a lot of food for, Crowded inside and birds outside

Lovely view & many options - Edit

The terrace view over Stockholm was definately worth the climb! We shared a family lunch here and were not disappointed. Athmosphere was welcoming, staff was friendly and there were many sitting options inside and outside. Family of two adults and two kids (10 & 2) cost around 330kr. There were several warm food options, many different salads, a few different spreads for bread & coffee and tea included. Hummus was excellent. Everything vegan. I think it was a good place to go with kids, hence the many options + quite spacious and not very crowded (we went quite early on a monday, though.)

Pros: The view was amazing, Many food options, Outside patio was nice

Cons: Toilet was situated upstairs, We were warned not to leave luggage unguarded

Underwelming - Edit

We were excited to eat here because of the reviews. When we got there, the place was packed and we thought that was a good sign. They only give you one plate and you have to use it over and over (this is extremely unsanitary and I saw people touch the serving spoon to their dirty plates.) We took very small servings so we could taste and not waste but still ended up with food left on our plate. It was very bland and disappointing, especially when you know how good vegan food can taste. The vegetables in cooked food were hard. I tried a curry hoping it would be good and the flavor was dull and the cauliflower hard and raw. We skipped dessert because it costs extra and we were afraid it wouldn't be good.

Pros: Nice view

Cons: Bland food

Fantastic! - Edit

My family and I went to eat the lunch bufe when it was all vegan. It was simply delicious! And I couldn't resist trying on of their baked goods (everything on display was also vegan), Pekan tarte - DELICIOUS. The staff was a delight and I would definitely go back to eat there again!

Super Delicious Food and good price - Edit

My friend and I have been eating to Hermans vegetariska Tradgardcafe during our trip in Stockholm and we have not been disappointed.

The restaurant is located in Södermalm, near the fotografiska museum. The indoor is really nice and cosy.

The buffet costs 125 kr on weekdays (price includes coffee/tea), which is a really good price as the food that is proposed is really tasty and there is a huge choice in terms of dishes. The buffet is now fully vegan.
There are lasagnas, pasta salad, rice, curry, potatoes and many other surprises !

The bread was fresh and the toppings (hummus, tapenade and garlic cream) were really great.
I also ordered beside the buffet a raw brownie, which was really tasty as well.

I highly recommend this place and if I ever come back to Stockholm, I'll definitely return to eat there.

Pros: Great Food, Good Price, Good Location

Great food!!! - Edit

We arrived at the end of the lunch rush, around 2pm on a Saturday. Really crowded and queues everywhere. Luckily it calmed down as we ate, before we got back for seconds. Really good food at a slightly steep but not bad price. I would definitely go again. If you don't mind a late lunch go after 2 on a Saturday!

Pros: good food

Cons: not so well marked on allergies., typical bohemian style and cramped seating space

Really good buffet - Edit

A great sortiment of different vegan foods - homemade kimchi, lasagne, samosas... Ordinary pricr was 189 kronor, but we got a student discount, half the price when you also brought a drink.

Vegan Buffet with 15+ choices! - Edit

The previous reviews say it all.
Hermans is a buffet restaurant, turned vegan at the end on 2015; which means that all the buffet is vegan now!

On the day I visited, they had lasagna, curries, grains, salads, pizza, and even kimchi!
Te buffet also includes teas (from Pukka) and coffee.
On the dessert menu (not included in the buffet) there were some raw cakes, cookies, and churros!

Staff is friendly and attentive.
But the place is super popular, especially now that the warm months are coming, and you can sit in the terrace (unfortunately, it's allowed to smoke in the big terrace).
So, I'd recommend to make a reservation (you can make it through their homepage also).

Contrary to other posts, I didn't find it expensive.
The buffet during weekdays costs 125SEK, which is roughly 13.5 euros; which I think is a great value for a buffet.
On the weekends I think the buffet is round 20euros, so still, it's fair.

And, did I mention it's opened 7/7? :)

Pros: vegan buffet, good value, nice view

Cons: can get pretty packed

Hermans is by far one of the best places to eat in Stockholm. Their food and options in the (all you can eat) buffet is just amazing, try their hummus! Also if you enjoy cakes and other goodies they have a wide range of amazing options.

Pros: best view in Stockholm!, the staff working is very nice

Cons: it's a bit far from any subway station, so if you

Even more vegan now - Edit

Hermans was renovated and opened up as even more vegan place in summer 2015. I visited it i january 2016 and was pleasantly surprised to learn that nowadays it's almost totally vegan. There will be some exceptions from time-to-time but they would be clearly marked, told the personnel. They just don't want to be profiled as "vegan" so that even the most timid of vegetarians and omnivores would feel it's okay to come.

Which it is. The food is fresh, healthy, full of taste. It's about the same as in many other vegetarian restaurants with delicious cold salads, lasagne or something like that, spicy stews with rice and oily potatoes. They do have some themes for different weeks (check out the homepage) so maybe it varies from week to week. When I visited it was what mentioned above. Nothing new to me, but for someone who is not used to eat out in a vegetarian place this would surely be interesting, too. So I can recommend Hermans as a place to take those curious but suspicious friends and relatives to.

For dessert and drinks you pay extra, but the sallad, bread and hot dishes it's a buffet price - eat as much as you want. As desserts they have cakes, berry pies and such.

Pros: Good food., Vegan., Location.

Cons: Always full., Lack of imagination?, Rather though not very pricey.

Better than expected - Edit

Visited last spring (2014) for the first time in a decade - and was pleasantly surprised. Good and tasty selection of food, that differs from week to week so who knows.

Pros: Cheap enough with discounts, the view - if you can get a good table

Cons: Cramped, no alcohol

Great view, great buffet and BBQ but expensive! - Edit

This is the most pleasant veggie restaurant of Stockholm with a magnificent view over the sea, Gamla Stan and Djurgarden. It has different levels of terrace where to eat but they are often crowded. The place is really pleasant, as well as the food. The buffet offers different kind of dishes (thai, salads, potatoes, rice, lasagna) most of which are vegan. And there is also a barbecue outside where several vegetables and fruits (such as pineapple) are grilled, as well as soya-meat-balls. It closes at 9:00 pm but is excellent so don't miss it! It is an all-you-can-eat buffet but I found it really expensive in comparison to other veggie buffets in Stockholm (250 SEK). You should to be very hungry to go there. All the desserts are vegan, and really good but it will cost you an extra price. To sum up, it is one of the best veggie place of the city (open everyday until 10:00 pm), but also one of the more expensive.

Pros: tasty, barbecue, all you can eat, very nice view, closes at 10:00 pm, great cakes

Cons: expensive!

Overpriced - Edit

I ate dinner here with a friend and wasn't impressed. The food was good but nothing I couldn't cook at home. The location/seating is of course beautiful but not worth the buffet cost which is 250 SEK ($30 US) for dinner.

My personal take is this: If you're into staying a couple of hours and stuffing yourself with so much food so you can barely walk out at the end of the night then it's worth the price. If you're looking for quality over quantity, find somewhere else to go. There are plenty of great choices in Stockholm where you can get a nice vegetarian meal for less.

Pros: Location/view

Cons: Expensive, Busy, Average food

Limited menue, but worth a visit though - Edit

The kitchen is currently under renovation, so they have a limited offer. As they currently do not have any dish washer you will get a paper plate and plastic cutlery. For 129 SEK we got a good thai curry with rice and a choice of 3 fresh salads.
Later they also had a barbequeue in the garden which did not really convince me as the corn cobs were a bit burned and dry and the other vegetables and tofu meat balls you had to eat with sauces as they were not seasoned at all.
Overall it was a good value for money as water, coffee and a huge choice of nice organic tea were included.

Pros: Friendly staff, Food except barbequeue tasts great , Big choice of tea and plant milk

Cons: No big buffett , Desserts not included in the price , Construction work at the moment

the dominant place in town - Edit

I guess this is the "big daddy" of Stockholm vegetarian restaurants. It's certainly a very nice place, and a large property (by Stockholm restaurant standards), though correspondingly crowded.

I went for a lunch buffet and was not overwhelmed. There were decent choices, some tasty and some healthy, but overall I was not awed by the options or by its diversity. There was a fair bit of generic or of the sloppy, indifferent over-sauced variety. You could carve out a tasty and decent meal, but it was by no means one of the best vegetarian buffets I've been to.

The location is spectacular, with great views over the water and town, just up the cliffs of Södermalm from the photography museum. The view alone is worth it on a pleasant day. Perhaps that means they don't work quite as hard on the food as they could. Also, if you're traveling alone, be prepared to figure out what to do with your belongings as you make multiple trips indoors to the buffet.

Pros: decent buffet, great view

Cons: not inexpensive, food is decent but not spectacular, seating/safety of bags a bit of an issue

Great restaurant with even better views! - Edit

Hermans is a fabulous place with buffet style veg*an food with lots of clearly marked vegan options. The location is fantastic with outdoor seating on a terrace overlooking the harbour. Their vegan cakes are particularly divine!

Pros: Great location, Great Atmosphere

Nice to sit outside in the summer - Edit

The buffet (179 SEK) included many cold dishes, a few warm ones, water, tea, and coffee. Almost all dishes were vegan, but you have to ask the staff which ones aren't (why not simply mark them?). There is no a la carte menu, just the buffet and separate desserts.

There was a very long queue at the counter just to pay for the food, so I think the place is a bit understaffed. The buffet is self service and the cold dishes were good, felt fresh, and were all vegan.

One of the warm dishes had an odd taste according to all three of us, but the other one was good. There was no dessert included in the buffet apart from some water melon, which was quite disappointing considering the price. All in all, the buffet is ok but not great value for money in my opinion.

The outside sitting area is lovely in the summer with a nice view over the water, so come here if you're looking for a nice place to sit down and enjoy beautiful Stockholm while eating veg*n. I'll probably come back to try their cakes since vegan cakes are still not so common in Stockholm.

Pros: Lovely outdoor sitting area, Good variety of cold dishes, Spacious

Cons: The buffet is a bit expensive, Very long queue to pay

I love this place - Edit

The buffé is allways amazing, and the view stunning. It is a little bit prizy, though they usually have an offer for students at mondays.

Pros: good variety, the view over Djurgården, nice atmosphere

Cons: a little bit expansive

En av Stockholms sämsta restauranger - Edit

Hermans lever på sin fantastiska utsikt över Stockholm. Slitna tallrikar o plastglas värre än en skolbespisning. Ett gammalt koncept som inte uppdaterats på många år. Dålig reklam för Stockholm o Sverige med tanke på alla turister som hamnar här. Publiken var inte backpackers. Idag ställs högre krav även på en vegetarisk eller vegan resturang i en storstad. Smutsiggt, slabbigt och ingen god mat. Allt saknar ett modern service tänkande. RYCK UPP ER och anpassa er till dagens verklighet

Expensive but fantastic buffet - Edit

The buffet is always really good and gets you really well fed. It's not just potatoes and salad. It really gets you full. Once you're full, you can enjoy one of Stockholms best views. It's a bit expensive, but their student discount is really big (but you have to be two students to use it).

Just amazing! - Edit

We had the all-you-can-eat buffet for dinner and wished we had a second stomach! It was so delicious and there was a great choice; it was always fresh and nicely decorated. It was a bit pricey but for Stockholm conditions absolutely ok and it is really worth it. I have also read that they have special student and lunchtime offers.
The view over the harbor is also very nice; we've spent hours in this restaurant. It is a bit crowded though, so if you are more than 2 persons and want to make sure you get a table with harbor view, I'd recommend to book a table before.

Buffet with a view - Edit

Hermans is a mostly vegan buffet (except on all vegan night - Wednesday?) with a great view out over the water. You'll need to book ahead as it's very popular, but it's no problem as the staff all speak English. Dessert and drinks are sold at the register, but the rest is an all you can eat self service buffet, which includes tea and coffee (Swedish coffee, not espresso). The self service aspect includes a scullery where you are expected to scrape and stack your dishes, empty your glasses etc so that the staff can wash them.

The buffet food is pretty good but the desserts are pretty bad, very much in the undercooked or raw food vein. Even the cooked ones were basically warm dough. Overall I enjoyed Hermans and would happily eat there again.

Pros: Mostly vegan, GF options, Booze (but only up to 3.5% ABV)

Cons: Poor desserts, Limited selection, No waitstaff or a la carte

Perfect in summer - Edit

Best view in Stockholm! Good and a lot of food, but not a very chic restaurant.
PERFECT in a warm summer day with good friends, big garden with sun. Very good!

Nice studentprice!

Pros: View, Lot of food

Love it - Edit

Possibly my favorite veg restaurant of all time! I've been there soo many times, I always visit when I'm in Stockholm.
The food is always delicious- though can be a bit spicy, which I'm not a big fan of.
It's buffet style which I really like, coffee, tea and water are included in the price. All of the desserts are vegan- my all time favorites are the raspberry and blueberry pies (hallon and blåbärspaj), just be sure to say you want vegan vanilla sauce, since they offer non vegan one as well.
And the view is beautiful! It's sooo nice to sit in the garden during the warmer part of the year.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 30, 2014

Pros: Buffet style, Friendly staff, All vegan desserts

Cons: Food can be a bit spicy, Not all- vegan

Herman's - Edit

I Ate there before I Began being veg., so it wa i while ago, but as from what I remember I loved the food but my friends didn't seem to want to eat since it was vegetarian. Prejudicent bastards. The restaurant/café had a really nice view over the water and so on however.

Best place in Stockholm - Edit

Last June I was in Stockholm, and Hermans is the best place for Vegetarian/Vegan people. It has a wonderful view over the Harbor.
The food is tasty and they have a wonderful buffet.

Updated from previous review on Monday February 10, 2014

Enjoy the taste and view - Edit

One of the the best vegetarian I've ever been. You can find several dishes for your choice, but with higher quality that is usual in a buffet. But mainly the best attraction are their views over Stockholm, specially in summer if you sit outside in the terrace.

Pros: View over Stockholm, Good quality buffet, Fair price

Cons: Overcrowded

Everybody's favourite? - Edit

Probably the best place in Stockholm.
Nice and cosy. Great location (the view is magnificent).
Too bad it doesn't have a sneeze protective grass over the buffé.
It is however the best place I've ever been to so far in Stockholm.

Pros: The variety of foods, The view

Cons: No sneeze protective glass over food

My favourite cafe in the world! - Edit

This cafe can do no wrong. Lovely food, great views, pleasant atmosphere, imaginative buffet style, themed days including vegan, middle eastern, indian. I could eat here every day and always do when I visit Stockholm.

Pros: Delicious food, Variety, Views/location

Cons: Can be busy, That I can't visit every day

My absolute favorite in Stockholm! - Edit

Great variety of food, nice location and atmosphere - it is absolutely recommendable to go here, if you are looking for vegan / vegetarian food in this city!
Price is ok for the buffet and drinks.
My advise: make a reservation :)

Pros: great food, nice view and location

Cons: reservation makes sense!

Fantastic food, location, setting...! - Edit

Update from August 7, 2013:
This went straight on the itinerary when I went back to Stockholm! Enjoyed it just as much this time, still more salads than hot food, but also tried desserts this time - cake, brownies, raw ice cream, all amazing and all vegan. The fact that the only non-vegan item was veggie lasagne does make me wonder why this isn't a fully vegan restaurant. but it's good to see it's getting there.

Original review on Thursday June 25, 2009:
Fantastic! A nice walk there and a lovely atmosphere in a big old building, quite rustic. Terrace seating with views on the harbour is still sheltered, but cosy back room as well where the buffet is. Great selection of food although more salad bowls than the (four?) hot dishes. All good quality food and water and tea/coffee available to help yourself to as well. Options for buffet menus (e.g. with/without dessert and extra drinks). Would definitely recommend.

Pros: Excellent food, Great choice well labelled, Lovely atmosphere

Cons: Expensive (but not for Sweden), Has the odd non-vegan dish

Go for the view and stay for the food - Edit

We enjoyed ourselves so much we ate lunch here two days in a row. There is a good variety of food, the bread is fresh and the desserts are hard to pass up. For Stockholm, we felt that the price was reasonable. We especially liked the setting high above the water overlooking the skyline of Stockholm. We spent an hour or so after eating, drinking coffee and lounging in the hammocks. We brought our little one year old and he had plenty to eat and space to crawl around. One drawback was the lack of fruit at the buffet, but we got our fruit via the dessert bar.

Pros: View, Hammocks, Bottomless coffee and tea

Cons: Minimal fruit available, Can be crowded

So many delicious times in my mouth and belly mmmm - Edit

Today, we went to herman's and ate buffet for over 2 hours! It was nothing less than wonderful!! Inside, they have many different dishes, all delicious. Outside they have BBQ tofu, corns, pepper, sweet potat and mushrooms! So good! Ate so much then waited, then ate so much more!! We came from far away across big ocean and some land to eat here and wow it was so yum!!

Pros: YUM, Many foods, Mmmmmmmmmmm

Cons: Buffet ends at one point

good but expensive - Edit

Like most of the other reviewers say; the location is simply fantastic and if that matters a lot to you, go here! The place is very popular and so pretty crowded. The buffet never really seemed to be too busy though, and you won't stand in line probably.

That said, the price was a bit too high for the type of food (paid 175kr, student rate). Something like 120-140 would've been more reasonable. The food was pretty typically vegan/vegetarian: tabouleh, salad, humus, aubergine+tomatoes etc. All very very tasty though!

Pros: really good food, great location

Cons: expensive, no surprises regarding food

The best thing about the place is the view from it - Edit

This is one of the most known vegetarian places in Stockholm. Maybe because of that, and because it lies in a good location, in the center and with a great view, it has become the place that attracts more upper-class folks. Therefore it is quite pricy there now. The food is relatively good, but vegan options are not marked, you have to ask every time.

Pros: great view onto the city, great variety of foods

Cons: pricy, vegan options unmarked

extraordinary!!! - Edit

excellent view over stockholm and a very very special and the most cosy atmosphere i've ever experienced in a restaurant. the stuff is loveley, the buffett great, i love that you get organic tea, coffee... as much as you want (like nearly everywhere in sweden). the whole house is designed with some much love, many pictures and quotations... i had a great evening there and recommend it to anybody visting stockholm! it's not very inexpensive but it's really worth it... they have special prices for students some days.
i also love the sentence on the staff's shirts: "give peas a chance"

Most delicious great choice - Edit

As an early bird in the afternoon I only paid 175 Swedish Crowns for the buffet. I wanted to taste everything and only took a tiny bit of all preparations with the result that I ate 2 big plates :-) which was far too much, but I could not resist and wanted to try everything. Only too preps were non-vegan (with cheese or cream). As dessert, I had a incredibly delicious raw mango cake (with banana, coconut cream and avocado!!!)... and I don't know how the other cakes tasted (they offered three more cakes that all looked extremely yummy). Probably, this was the best cake I had ever eaten in my life!! I also took some other desserts with me as take away. What I liked was that one could take as much as he liked. Also tea and coffee were included in the buffet price. For the dessert you had to pay extra. The view on the harbour was fascinating and the atmosphere of the interior was cozy and enjoyable. Thanks a lot for this evening! I was so glad to get to know this restaurant. Highly recommandable!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 04, 2012

Pros: a lot of choice, Extremely yummy, best raw cake ever eaten

Cons: desserts expensive, no "v" for vegan, -

Too expensive for what you get - Edit

Considering how cheep most of the food would be for them to make the price is too high in my oppinion. The restarant has different themes different days but the food pretty much tastes the same regardless of the theme. They never write down which of the dishes are vegan so you have to ask every time. It wouldn't be that hard to fix but they don't. Food is ok deserts are very good. Nice view over stockholm. Also nice in winter when they have blankets and heating.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 04, 2012

Pros: Good deserts, Ok food, Nice view

Cons: Expensive, No indications of what is vegan, Little variation

Great bbq-buffet - Edit

The view from Hermans is one of the nicer ones in Stockholm. If you go here dureing the summer they have a bbq-buffet. The items off the bbq was delicious! The negative about Hermans is that it is quite expencive (if you, like me are a student) but it is the best buffet I have been to when it comes to vegan food. That said it was hard to know what was vegan if you didn't ask, but the staff was polite and that solved the problem. They have student discounts during the weekdays taht allowes you to eat two for one if you buy drinks. This makes it more affordable. All in all a good place to eat great tasting vegan food.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 31, 2012

Pros: lot of differnt foods, suitable for vegetarians and vegans, student discounts

Cons: Expensive

Great food and great view over Stockholm - Edit

Hermans has a very good reputation in the vegetarian/vegan society in Sweden, and they deserve it!! The food is always fresh and there are a lot of different dishes to choose from. The restaurant has a good location and if you sit outside/on the terrace, there is a fantastic view! The place is often crowded at lunch/dinner. I think that it's a bit too expensive (I'm a student=poor), but I guess that the prices are normal compared to other restaurants in Stockholm.

Pros: Delicious, A lot of different dishes, Great view

Cons: Often crowded, A bit too expensive

A Vegetarian Gem - Edit

I'm glad a Swedish friend brought me here, otherwise I don't think I would have found this place! I would brave the winter chill for the delicious buffet and the great location.

Pros: great variety, scenic location, good value

Classic in Stockholm - Edit

Go here and eat their bufe at least once. They were a bit better a couple of years ago, but still have the edge. Very popular. They are one of the reasons that convinced it's possible to go veggie full-on and not miss a single thing in food-experience!

Simply wonderful! - Edit

Just off from Gamla Stan after a lovely walk along the waterway, Herman's is a divine find. Friendly & warm. Probably the best place to eat vegan/veg in Stockholm. Nothing but happy memories for me. I eat there every single time I'm in Stockholm.

Pros: Yummy, Scenic, Friendly

Cons: Downhill stairs entryway, May not be handicapped-accessible (?)

Good food, not central... - Edit

I agree with all the reviewers that this buffet is very tasty, and when we were there it was packed, but there was always plenty of every dish. My issue was that it is hard to find, and is at least a 30 minute walk from the south part of the city. We had a hard time finding any bus or tram that went that way and the maps are useless. It's also expensive, and in Stockholm that means crazy expensive. But if you know these issues going in, you'll be fine.
The tea and coffee are included in the buffet price, but not other drinks or dessert. You can reserve a table, and I'd recommend that if you are going for dinner. Then, you can ask for specific directions, too!

Pros: Good, hot food, Tea/coffee included

Cons: Expensive, Expensive, Expensive

a veggie bounty - Edit

This excellent buffet-style vegetarian restaurant is a delight. We went there twice (out of 4 days in Stockholm). It has a great cook, and a large selection of salads (mostly vegan), cooked dishes (mostly vegan) and yummy, ALWAYS vegan cakes. Great views off the enclosed porch but need reservations for that. Would recommend very highly.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, all you can eat

The best vegetarian in Stockholm! - Edit

Great place for vegetarians - amazing buffet that has great choice of very interesting dishes, not just boring salads, but the food that is cooked with knowledge of vegetarian options.
Great to come in summer as outside they grill pepper, mushroom, corn and different other veggies.
I would recomend to book as it can be busy,
In summer lunch or dinner seating outside is amazing - such a nice view!

Pros: Great choice, Nice location, Friendly staff

Cons: Busy, Walk from metro, A bit expensive

Lived up to the hype - Edit

Finally tried this place with my partner and it didn't disappoint. We came on a Wednesday and everything happened to be vegan. Food was tasty, selections were promptly refilled, they even got a grill fired up. But above all it was the SETTING, excellent view from up there. This and the food together already made the money worth it.

That said, now that I'm thinking back, the selections in the buffet tended to be pretty stodgy. There were around 15 warm/chilled dishes there, and the majority were all high-carb: pasta, potatoes, grains, and beans. Would be nice to have more variety in this regard.

I did reserve a table online because it seemed to be a very popular restaurant. When I got there I found out it wasn't necessary at all. Place was huge, lots of seating, plus they put all the reservations in the indoor area and you will have to move outside anyway. Just arrive early to beat the crowd to avoid the long waiting line.

Pros: setting, good value, quick in refilling

Cons: stodgy food

Disappointing - Edit

What a disappointment !
I went there because of the great reviews from this website.
It was awful.

I agree that the setting is nice, but the food is really terrible !
Firstly, they grossly overuse GARLIC and ONIONS. I have never eaten anything so full of garlic in my entire life and I am still detoxifying from it two days later. It seems like there is garlic everywhere and I didn't taste much of anything else in my entire meal. The "indian" dahl was the worst I ever tried. The spices were just burning the mouth without any flavor. There was no flavor anywhere to be found, only the bad taste and smell of garlic.

Secondly, the choice was very poor : 2/3 hot dishes (all of them gross), fried potatoes, fried rice, bread, and then the "salad bar". The salads are vegetables swimming in some thick cream-like sauce to the point where it is impossible to know what kind of vegetable it is. Be prepared to find garlic and onions there as well, even in the grated carrots.
It is very funny to find people who believe that such food is "healthy" because it is vegetarian. This food was so gross I still cannot believe it. I feel nauseous thinking about it again.

Oh and then the restaurant was just over-crowded. People had to stand in the line with their plate in the hands for like 15 minutes before reaching the buffet. It felt like a cheap school cantine.

This is my first restaurant in Stockholm, so maybe the swedish just have very gross taste and this is all normal, but you won't find me in another restaurant there !

Pros: Setting

Cons: Tastes only garlic, Gross and heavy food, Poor choice

Great food, nice location - Edit

I loved the place very much. It's cosy, the staff is friendly. The food is delicious and healthy. I am very content with the cold and the hot buffet. Tsatsiki and hummus are my favourites. The prices are a bit too high, but it's Stockholm, everything is expensive here:)

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

Cons: not cheap

Buffet and deserts with a view - Edit

Varied buffet with many vegan options. Deserts are to die for: try carrot cake! Not cheap, so consider buffet + desert package to get the price/value right. The view to old town from above is excellent. A must visit place while in Stockholm. Good service.

Pros: Variety, Deserts, View

Just amazing - Edit

This is a gem of a place!

An all-you-can-eat buffet for about 150 SEK. You can either sit overlooking the beautiful Stockholm harbour or in the back where the buffet is kept. You pay when you get there and pick up a plate (be careful the cakes are all by the cash register just to tempt you!!)

The buffet is just phenomenal! Delicious quinoa salad, houmous, sweet and sour veg, indian dahl, homecooked potato wedges and much, much more! Help yourself to fresh baked bread and smother it with herb infused vegan butter.

We made the biggest error of not leaving room for cake! We came back the next day for afternoon tea and sat overlooking the delights of Stockholm and tucking into vegan caramel & hazelnut flan and vegan Belgian Choc tort (all the cakes on that occasion were vegan). A (generous) slice of cake cost about 45 SEK.

The restaurant was popular both times we went and there's a yoga centre above. For me, this was my favourite veggie place in Stockholm - the atmosphere, food and very friendly staff made this a fantastic experience.

Pros: Huge vegan selection, Good value, Great atmosphere

Cons: My stomach wasn't big enough, I don't live in Stockholm

Terrific - Edit

I really enjoyed the food, atmosphere and views. I disagree that the food is boring, it was the best buffet I had in Sweden. The best vegan pizza I've ever had. I thought things were very tasty. I did get the student discount - which was great - but despite other reviews I think the normal price is still good for what you get in Stockholm.

Pros: great food, great location, laidback

great place! - Edit

We happened to visit this restaurant on Vegan wednesday, and it was absolutely great! All dishes were vegan, freshly made and tasted amazing. There was a grill outside where you could get grilled veggies. The food was in fact so good that no-one would have noticed if it was suddenly vegan wednesday every day. The pies were also great, and since I am a sucker for pie, this was definitely a winner.

Highly recommended

Pros: vegan wednesday, all you can eat, pie

Cons: very busy, rather expensive

really expensive - Edit

nice feeling, great view, good food (selfmade bread) nice vegetarian restaurant +vegan wednesday&bqq. BUT buffet ist not worth to pay 200 kroner, that is 22 euros! you can eat as much as you want, but this is really to much! cakes cost 5 euros.

Pros: nice, good

Cons: expensiv

Great place, lovely views - Edit

Really liked this place apart from the crowds, there was a queue all the way up the stairs and this was a Monday! Great food, plenty of stuff in the buffet, staff a bit mixed, some nice, some surly, but they were probably stressed out! Lovely terraces with views over the water, great place to be in the summer.

Pros: great food, good portions, lovely views

Cons: TOO crowded, staff a bit mixed

Expensive, but nice. - Edit

Actually this was my first vegetarian restaurant i've been too during my vacation in Stockholm.

I was a bit shocked by the price, cause it's quite expensive compared to Austrian average. But someone told me, on mondays there's cheaper prices for students, reservations needed though!

The food itself was okay, there were also enough things to eat for a vegan. The taste was good, but nothing special.

While inside the athmosphere is not too comfortable, the outside-area is fantastic. Very beautiful with a lot of space and a stunning view over Stockholm.

I also tried some vegan cakes and they were awesome in taste, but again too expensive.

Staff is very friendly.

All together it is a nice place to spent some good time in summers but nothing i would go to regularly, cause of the prices.

Pros: Fantastic view from outside-area, Good desserts, Friendly staff

Cons: Very expensive, Too little space in winter, Food could be more tasty

Overrated - Edit

Some decades back "Hermans Höjdare" was my choice and I ate there frequently. Now a days the food is ok but much less value for the money. These days a better choice is restaurants like Hermitage and Seyhmus. At Hermitage you can find the best vegan food in Stockholm!

Can't miss it! - Edit

We went there last July. Our B&B host suggested the place, and we really loved it! They serve a vegetarian buffet with a big choice, food is good and the location is superb! If you can sit outside and enjoy the view over Stockholm. I would definitely go there again.

Pros: choice, view, not expensive

Cons: none

Great Food and A Good Deal - Edit

The food was excellent; most of it seemed really healthy as well as tasting good. The night we were there, nearly every dish on the main buffet table was vegan. It's simple and informal and has a young student/backpacker/crunchy kind of atmosphere. Since it's an all-you-can-eat buffet, it's a good deal, especially by Stockholm standards.

Pros: Great Food, Healthy, Good deal for the money

great food, not cheap - Edit

i went there for the christmas buffet. the food is great, but compared to other veggie restuarants it's rather expensive. it's a busy place so you should consider making reservations on beforehand, especially if you want to enjoy the view.

Pros: food, view

Cons: expensive

Great location - Edit

The location of the restaurant is already worth a visit: up on the hill you get a complete view of the harbour and the city. And you can hang out in a garden. The food is a buffet with many, many mediterranean-like dishes: olives, beans, many sauces, etc. Not exactly my personal favourite food and nothing very special either. The place is very busy and it is quite expensive. You feel that it is a very professionaly run restaurant and that it is a vegetarian business.

Pros: Location, Large buffet

View nice but food bad - Edit

Very nice view but the food wasn't too good. Very oily and a bit boring. Mostly beans and rice.

the perfect place for warm summer evenings - Edit

At several occasions, I have been able to get 2 meals and pay for 1 thru a flyer that has been handed out at local events over the years. Well, they don't hand them out any more, but I don't mind paying the full price nowadays. The buffet has shaped up considerably the last 2 years, I found it to be constantly fresh and very tasty. The hommous is absolutely fantastic, and on itself a good reason to come here. It's also a great hang-out on a warm summer evening, my kid loves to pick out exactly what he wants to eat, and to use the hammock after the meal. Eventhough the buffet is very filling, I must recommend the cakes, one is enough for the whole family! A belgian chocolate cake and the sundown over Gamla Stan- lovely!

Lovely location! - Edit

This is a buffet style restaurant at a beautiful location in Stockholm with a great view. The interior is really nice aswell as the staff. When it comes to the food, its really good. The lasagne especially :) Perhaps a bit dull though, but still the best vegetarian buffet i've tried in Stockholm. However, it's really expensive (according to me, but students get discount, so that's good). They have good desserts too!

You're paying for the view - Edit

Herrmans is very pretty - even in winter, with the balcony having little firetubes to keep you warm. They had a huge range of salad, which didn't intrest me, and even the mains were a bit too complicated for my liking. My partner however thought it was the shit and would totally go again in a heartbeat. I have to say - that the satay daal was awesome.

Pros: buffet, huge variety, good food

Cons: expensive, nothing simple

summer bbq - Edit

Perhaps a little bit expensive (although everything in Stockholm is!) this place has it all for vegan/vegetarian.
During summer, on days with good weather they have a barbecue outdoors on which they do up tofu and mushrooms (the best ever!) amongst other things to complement the buffet. And when it's raining then it's pizzas instead! I make sure I go here at least once a month. Oh, and the view is an added bonus.

Pros: Healthy, Easy to find, variety

Cons: Expensive, buffet (food gets old)

Be prepared to share your table - Edit

I went to this restaurant tonight after not being there in over 10 years. Always happy to see a good vegetarian restaurant after all these years. Cold, wintery evening, I was there at 6 pm, waiting for my hunger to happen. This place is unique in that it stays open from lunch into dinner, so you're not starving by the time you get to eat at 7 pm. Because it was a Saturday evening, 6 pm meant that I had to find the less likely to start making-out couple to join their table. They didn't speak English, I didn't speak Swedish, so we got along fine. Very few solo diners, mostly young couples. Good food, I got the cheapest choice, buffet only, smuggling in my bottled water in my coat pocket. I have also been here in the summer, and the view and eating outside makes this place very desirable in the summer. I was a bit squeamish about the communal serving spoon in each dish. I wonder how many cold and flu germs I picked up? Not a low-fat meal. But very good hummus, and lentil dishes.

Pros: good food, great views in summer season, still open

Cons: had to share a table, communal serving utensils, too crowded around smorgasbord table,

Nice but too expensive - Edit

Nice food but too expensive. Was here in the winter so I could not experience the wonderful view, and the inside areas was very cramped with people. The buffet table was not very well looked after as some of the dishes were left empty and spilled out food remained for too long.

Pros: Good dishes, Nice location and environment

Cons: Price

Good food - Edit

This is a self-serve, self bus place with a nice relaxed atmosphere and great views of Stockholm. The price is great, and since it is buffet you can stuff yourself to the gills. I enjoyed the food a great deal, though it is not as health-oriented compared to many other vegetarian places.

Pros: Filling, great views, good food

Cons: not over-healthy oriented

Return to Stockholm Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hermans Vegetariska Tradgardcafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 13995 times since Aug 2007.