Hermanos Cocina Mexicana

Contact 603-224-5669

11 Hills Ave, Concord, New Hampshire, USA, 03301

Serves meat, vegan options available. Long-time operating Mexican food restaurant, lounge, and bar. Could ask to substitute most dishes with vegan spicy crumbles and vegan cheese instead of meat and dairy. All rice, beans, and sauces are vegetarian, and many lacto vegetarians selections on the menu. Live jazz and music in the lounge some evenings (no cover charge) - see website calendar. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm, Sun 11:30am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Roger in PA

reliable vegan options - Edit

I have to agree with the positive reviews on this site. It is a pleasure to return to this restaurant every year and find vegan options. We have tried many of their dishes (you can get just about any of them vegan even if not listed as such), and we like the vegan enchiladas (with seasonal vegetables), but yesterday i had one of their chimichangas (just asked for vegan cheese) and loved it! Also the chocolate cake (vegan), pretty and enough for 2 people is quite tasty.

Pros: many vegan options, friendly

Good vegan choices - Edit

And great vegan desert!!! --
Owner's son is vegan, so they know how to do it right.
They have a vegan filling that replaces beef, etc. for all of the relevant mexican dishes. ...
And their chocolate cake is vegan and absolutely great
We have eaten there for some years, enjoyed it pre-vegan days, and were delighted when we found they had explicit vegan dishes/options.

Pros: Vegan options as part of std menu, delightful, well established operation

Cons: the immediate parking lot is metered

MeatfreeKD 01 Jul 2015 - Thanks for sharing this since I had no idea they had some vegan fillings - do they have vegan cheese?

Many Vegan Options, Good Prices, Great Date Spot! - Edit

I have frequented Hermanos too many times to count. I am never bored and am able to choose from a variety of delicious vegan options. They even have vegan chocolate cake!

Favorite meal: Ensalada de Avocado. I get it with the "spicy veggie crumble" (seitan). Ask for the garlic dressing instead of the creamy avocado dressing. The garlic dressing is vegan and tastes great.

Nearly one year ago I tried one of the vegan dishes at Hermanos and thought, 'This is amazing...maybe I could be vegan!' I have happily been vegan ever since, and knowing that Hermanos is always there for a great meal helps it to stay easy and interesting.

I'm a regular (WAS. Updated review) - Edit

Update: We are no longer regulars. We've had one too many mess-ups, where animal products were included in our meals, that we've given up. It's great that the owner wanted to include us, but it doesn't seem that the staff cares nearly as much about the vegan menu. Completely turned off.
--------
To the person who complained about the cheese & suggested they use Daiya...they do! The crumbles are also locally made, at Cafe Indigo. Hermanos is a fantastic place, with great vegan options. They also offer Tofutti sour cream. Never tried the soup that this 'one-cow' person spoke of, but the nachos (make SURE you get the garlic oil!) are wonderful. The chimichangas & enchiladas (get the red AND green sauce) are stellar, their guacamole is without rival, and their house margarita is killer! I also really like their refried beans. Plus, they offer a vegan dessert, but it isn't for every palate (spicy chocolate). Overall, if you like Mexican, you should be quite pleased.

Pros: Endless combinations, Friendly staff

Cons: Needs more vegan dessert, messes up vegan order

Unbelievable!!! - Edit

Hermanos is definitely my favorite vegan spot in Concord. If you like Mexican food, you will love this place. The owners son is a vegan, and one employee is a vegan, so I am very trustworthy of their food preparations. They have a vegan replacement for their animal ingredients (milk, cheese, sour cream, milk, beef) and they are all FANTASTIC. The staff is very friendly, great atmosphere. Prices are high, depending what you buy, always expect to spend a pretty penny there. In my opinion, definitely worth the money!

Pros: Vegan alternatives for ingredients, Variety of vegan dishes, Atmosphere

Cons: Pricey$$$, Wait can be long

Unimpressed - Edit

After hearing mixed reviews of Hermanos, I finally decided to try it and see for myself. We went for dinner on a Monday night, and the restaurant was very busy (surprisingly - the food really wasn't great). We ended up having to wait an hour for our burritos to arrive, even though everyone who had arrived later than us received their meals much earlier than we did. My burrito, when it did come, was missing several of the vegetables I'd requested, and also the rice. And though I'd asked for guacamole, I could barely taste it - they must have added less than a teaspoon. A waste of $2 for the guacamole, and a waste of $6 for the burrito. Though Hermanos wasn't the worst restaurant I've been to (our waitress was actually very nice!) it would have been better if my food had arrived earlier, if it had been made right, and if it had tasted like something other than a burrito I could make right in my own kitchen. It was really nothing special, and I certainly will not be eating there again when I can make the same meal (much better!) in my own house for a third of the cost.

Pros: Our waitress was very friendly

Cons: long wait for food to arrive, our meals were made incorrectly , nothing special

Worth checking out - Edit

I don't drive through Concord often, but when I do this place is on the mind. There are lots of vegan options with quality ingredients. They buy mock meats from Cafe Indigo, so they won me over right away.

“Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

Pros: Vegan Options, Cafe Indigo Mock Meat, VEGAN NACHOS!

Very vegan-friendly Mexican food! - Edit

They have many vegan ingredients, including rice and beans, cheese (it tasted like Daiya), veggie crumbles, and seitan from the nearby Cafe Indigo. So you can get a vegan version of most dishes. I had a Happy Burro (A whole wheat tortilla wrapped around a filling of our spicy Cafe Indigo seitan crumble, Mexican rice, black beans, fresh avocado, scallions and vegan cheese, sprinkled with cilantro and garnished with lettuce, tomato and guacamole). It had a great taste, but was served luke warm. The chips and salsa aren't anything special. There is a vegan chocolate cake on the dessert menu, but I ordered a dessert special, blueberry mango crisp, which was delicious.The day I went there was also a vegan soup that I didn't try.

Pros: Seitan, Dessert, Soup

Cons: No outside seating, Noisy

Great vegan friendly option - Edit

I was visiting some friends in Concord and they suggested dinner at Hermanos. It was a great choice and my omnivore friends as well as my vegan self were happy. They have vegan options of a lot of the popular ingredients in Mexican food - ground meat, sour cream and Daiya vegan cheese. I had a tostada which was like a flat pizza. The food was good and prices reasonable. The service was good and they were knowledgeable and accommodating for vegans. Parking was a breeze and the atmosphere was fun.

Pros: good food, accommodates omnivore/veg mixed groups, Great choice of vegan substitutes

We wanted to love this place - Edit

On a visit to NH recently, we made a special trip over to Concord to eat at Hermanos Cocina Mexicana after reading about it on Happy Cow. The hostess and our waitress were both very welcoming and professional, and the menu -- which includes many vegan options -- is huge. We split a cup of the special sweet potato soup of the day. It could have used a little spiciness or more seasonings. We added salt ourselves. For entrees, we got a veggie burrito platter and a veggie chimichanga platter, both with the vegan "beef" crumbles and vegan cheeze. The cheeze brand/flavor used (which tasted like old school Kraft American singles) did not complement the Mexican dishes flavor-wise and was electric orange colored. I would strongly recommend that they look into trying Daiya pepper jack cheeze or some of the newer vegan cheeze products that are on the market which have a more realistic taste, texture, and color. We think it wonderful that Hermanos makes an effort to offer vegan items on their menu, and the staff were outstanding.

Amazing vegan dessert - Edit

Passing through Concord on the interstate at lunchtime, my expectations were low, so lunch at Hermanos Cocina Mexicana was a very pleasant surprise. We found attractive and interesting decor, some of the best, friendliest and most helpful service I've ever received at any restaurant, and a very tasty and satisfying vegan meal. My partner and I had no intention of ordering dessert but had developed a fun relationship with our server, so when she asked if we wanted dessert we jokingly asked if there were any vegan items on the dessert menu, with no expectation of a positive answer in a small-town, non-vegetarian restaurant. She said, "As a matter of fact, there is one," followed by a description of a chocolate cake that was so tempting we broke our never-have-dessert-in-a-restaurant rule and ordered one to split. Well, that chocolate cake was so scrumptious we were in heaven for the next ten minutes and it was a recurring topic of conversation for a couple of days afterward! The only downside of the otherwise entirely delightful lunch experience was the acoustics of the place -- the hard walls and ceilings are very noise-reflecting and other tables' conversations and loud taco chip crunching somehow carry very distinctly. I don't mind even loud noise if it's just a general hubbub but I don't want to hear every word and crunch. "White noise" like that made by a fan would help cover the details of other diners' personal output. Overall, very much worth it and a good value for the money.

Pros: superb service, excellent food, satisfying portions

Cons: poor acoustics

Return to Concord Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hermanos Cocina Mexicana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.