CLOSED: Herbivoro

• Vegan

Contact +56-978783416

Av. Rancagua 188, Providencia, Santiago, Chile, 7500919

Vegan store and deli cafe, opened in July 2013. Offers vegan treats, sandwiches, smoothies, empanadas, and cakes. Share an entrance with a bike store. Reported closed to HappyCow Jan 2015.

Category: Vegan, Western, Take-out, Chilean

First Review by CataHerreraBarros

Cool place, strange food, nice cat - Edit

A vegan cafe under the same roof as a bicycle repair shop is a really cool idea. The seating area was small, but cosy, the staff were friendly, and there was a nice looking cat asleep on the bike counter.

Unfortunately the food was not that great. I ate lunch here which consisted of a salad and a main course. The salad was very uninspired and the main dish was quite an odd combination of a huge pile of mashed black beans alongside a small portion of stir-fried vegetables.

It wasn't bad, but it felt a bit like a meal that was made up of the leftovers in your cupboard. I really liked the place and the people and i just hope that they were having an off day with the lunch menu.

Pros: Cool place, Inexpensive, Nice cat

Cons: Food not that great

It's all about the food - Edit

It's an interesting combi between a bicycle workshop in the back and a vegan place in front, where you can buy different products and get food, take out, coffee and desserts, all strictly vegan. They open at 11am and they close at 9pm. From Monday to Saturday, you can choose between 2 options at lunch at 1330. The place is a little bit small, not that easy to find, but the people there care about you and deliver great fresh food. The owner speaks as most of the staff fluently english and it's not at all expensive.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 24, 2014

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 06, 2014

Pros: Good food, drinks and desserts, kind and attentive staff, unexpensive

Cons: Small capacity, less than 15 seats, not easy to find

The Most Conscientious New Vegan Spot in Santiago - Edit

I was shocked to discover that Herbivoro has been open less than a year. Everything from the fruit smoothies, to daily lunch specials, desserts and the grab-and-go section is really delicious and well thought out. Every staff member is so knowledgeable and friendly, once I found this spot during my month long stay in Santiago, I hardly went anywhere else for vegan fare! The owner is one of the most forward thinking people I met during my stay in Chile. His expertise alone is worth the trip to check this place out. As for my meals I was really impressed by the balance of flavor on each plate: lots of fresh, crunchy, well chopped vegetables with tofu that had been very well marinated with a touch of perfect acidity. Herbivoro offers delightfully simple dishes utilizing fresh, local ingredients and prepares it really well. No need to show off or go over the top, Herbivoro lets the purity of their ingredients speak for themselves while also highlighting local artisan brands of super foods, drinks and snacks. I also have to mention how much I love the location, sharing a space with a very cool bike shop. The tables and chairs are modest but fit the space so well. I think the idea was absolutely genius to have these two entities side by side. I would definitely go to Herbivoro for a lunch date or grab a stool by myself for a quick bite. They really add to the vegan movement and the community in Santiago and I cannot wait to return to eat with them again.

Pros: wholesome, great meals, excellent value for really good price, wide variety of grab and go items

Cons: not enough locations!

Great variety and interesting daily menu - Edit

I've visited Herbivoro many times during lunch, and am always impressed by the flavors and preparation. It's a very healthy meal and leaves you satisfied; I rarely have room for coffee or dessert. The owner and staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The cost is very reasonable and makes it worth a trip across town to eat here. I can easily say that this is my favorite place to eat in Santiago.

Pros: All vegan, Great low prices, Great flavor

Cons: Parking, Location, Small restaurant

Lunch/Take-out spot with empanadas, desserts - Edit

This is really more of a lunch/take-out spot. I was told 1-4pm are the best times to go. They have empanadas around that time until they sell out. But at any time you can get desserts.

Everyone was very friendly, and the guy I spoke to, not sure if he's the owner, was completely proficient in English.

Bike shop with food - Edit

Actually it shares more than the entrance with the bike shop. You also eat in the bike shop.
It might be OK for take-out but the smell of rubber and the atmosphere of the bike shop turned us off and we went to Planta Maestra instead.

Cons: Bike Shop Atmosphere

Hervíboro - Edit

Mi local vegano favorito.
Excelente atención, y una tremenda variedad de productos que no se encuentran fácilmente. Los sánguches y la pastelería son insuperables.
Recomendado 100%

Pros: Variedad de productos, Atención, Ubicación

Amazing tofu burger! - Edit

This was the first time I had used Happy Cow but my experience was so good that I had to make an account and leave a review.

Herbivoro is great. Located in the coolest bike shop I have ever been in, they have a small kitchen in the back. The menu is limited but the tofu burger I had was amazing! you can 'eat-in' if there is nobody else there, or just get it to go and sit in the park like 50m away.

My only regret is that I didn't ask for ice in my smoothie.

Would visit again! 9/10

Pros: Great food!, Friendly staff!, Cool shop!

Cons: Small seating area

Simply real food - Edit

A brand new vegan shop soon to be also a coffee shop with sitting area.
Good wholesome vegan food, balanced meals you can order until 10.30 am to be delivered within Santiago. Very nice food that feels like home cooked food, nothing fancy, just proper vegan food with good ingredients to get you going. No refined crap.
They feature pretty much everything this city has, such as vegan cheese, lupine pasta and pizza (don't leave without these!), different types of sweets and chocolate, tofu, tempeh, frozen vegan meats, etc, from both local and imported brands.
A MUST!
It's almost on the corner of Seminario street, my GPS sent me somewhere else the first time I went, watch out for that!

Pros: Healthy vegan food, Good array

Cons: Caffee area still not available.

They Care! - Edit

Herbívoro its a small shop located inside a bike store, wich is amazing, you will never feel alone there. They care, and they care a lot, not only about making really good vegan treats and amazing smoothies, but also your opinion about how they do their job, what products they should have and how it was everything. They care about the right things! If you are vegan, you gonna feel in home, beware, if you are not vegan their love for what they do and their attention gonna make you think twice about it!

Also, they speak fluent Portuguese, English and Spanish

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Friendly staff

Cons: Small Place, Hard to find, Only accept cash

Rico y amable - Edit

Herbívoro es un lugar acogedor, la gente que atiende se preocupa de darte sus mejores productos, y te conversan casi como si fueran tus amigos que no ves hace mucho. Hay mucha variedad de productos vegan, y unos batidos exóticos pero potentes. Un muy buen lugar en un área céntrica de Santiago con gente buena onda. 100% recomendable.

Pros: amable, variedad

Cons: local pequeño

Return to Santiago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Herbivoro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2802 times since Oct 2013.