First Review by louis

Not vegan-friendly - Edit

I would suggest that any vegans stay clear of this cafe. The lack of soya milk is strange but when I enquired about this I was met with anger. Even if you chose not to serve vegan milk it is not acceptable to get angry at customers and I walked out when this happened. The level of anti-veganism goes so far that a friend of mine was knowingly served a non-vegan dish when a vegan version was offered. I wish I could offer this place a single star rating, I cannot warn people away from this place enough.

Pros: -

Cons: Anti-veganism, Service

Always a nice buzz. - Edit

This nice cafe is on the uni campus, which is really great that there is such demand. It's not expensive, the selection and food are ok, often good. I will say though that it really is not all that vegan friendly. They often don't have soya milk and have even been a bit surly when asked. Maybe that has changed. I ain't been in about 6 months. But it's recommended for a snack and a brew if you are in the area.

Pros: Good atmosphere , Not expensive

Cons: Could do better for vegans, May be too "student" for some.

Great place - Edit

This is a great little place in the middle of the campus, next to the libary. Since Sep I've been in at least 3 times a week and got to know the place and the staff, and have been kept going by them at times. I'm a vegan and there is always food for me, but yeah, no soya milk which sucks, and the owner is totally not moving on the issue.
The food is good (very good mostly), simple and filling, and I now sometimes get asked what I want later in the week which is great as I get to choose something vegan.
I would avoid the place at lunchtime (yeah I know, ironic) as it gets completely packed, but the rest of the time is a nice place to go and get a cake and drink or a butty, spread your notes out and just relax.

Pros: Location, Price , Good food

Cons: Busy at lunchtime

Rude staff - No soya milk! - Edit

I asked if they did soya milk and was shouted at 'No!" I was a bit surprised by this frosty response and asked why. The woman there said she didn't like it and wouldn't be getting it as it was a vegetarian cafe not vegan. I have never had this reaction in a veggie place, usually always really friendly people.

Later on another woman behind the counter came up to me and said she always gets annoyed when people ask for soya and they all run for cover when she starts! All a bit odd really, I won't be going there again.

Vegans should avoid this place - Edit

A good location and long opening hours, but this has to be one of the least vegan-friendly veggie places I've ever visited. They don't do soya milk, and all their meal options contain cheese or milk. That just leaves hummous sandwiches or sometimes the soup. No excuse in this day and age!

Pros: Long opening hours, Good location for students

Cons: Not that cheap, virtually nothing vegan

Herbivores - Edit

This is a vegetarian cafe tucked away downstairs in the basement of the Burlington rooms, last building on the right of the little street leading up to the main John Rylands University library, Oxford Rd, just past the museum. Seems geared to students and one of the better options on campus for vegetarians/vegans, particularly in terms of convenience and opening hours, other than the Eight Day down the road.

Cosy relaxed atmosphere with long opening hours, til 9pm I was informed by staff. Counter service, mainly ovo-lacto options with about four or so vegan options. The food is decent enough but nothing too fancy. I had hoummous and a pitta bread, very reasonably priced.

Pros: location, opening hours, friendly staff

Cons: no soya milk, could be more vegan options

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Herbivores Vegetarian Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6095 times since Feb 2008.