Herbivore - Zen

Contact 68831586

190 Middle Rd, Fortune Centre, Central Singapore, Singapore, 188973

Also known as Zen restaurant, the kitchen makes traditional Japanese food in vegetarian style. Moved to this location in 2012, same menu as before. Reported using mayonnaise in the sushi and dairy in the desserts. Owner confirmed food is all-veg Dec 2015. Confirmed open Sep 2016. Mon-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:30pm-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Japanese

First Review by Coolman7528

Great for vegetarians. Trickier for vegans. - Edit

When a restaurant makes a longtime vegan stop and ask if the sashimi really is veg-based, that's how you know it's a well-done meal. I'm used to analogue meats that are very good, but this was my first go with vegetarian sashimi and it was freakishly good. The texture and taste was spot-on, which admittedly was a bit disturbing, but it was tasty. Servings were large, and you order from a tablet attached to the table, which is nice for seeing photos of what you're going to order, but I would have liked to see some descriptions or ability to comment with special requests.

I'm taking away a star because the service wasn't very attentive, and I really wish they labeled the differences between vegetarian or vegan to make it easier for the vegans to order. They have the tablet ordering system, so it would be super convenient to simply have a special request option to "make it vegan" without having to grill the server for information. While they don't use eggs, they do use dairy, so you have to make sure to request no sauce/mayo, which is dairy-based.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-29

Pros: Creative food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Inattentive service., Impossible to tell vegan from vegetarian., Crowded restaurant

helpful staff - Edit

a stylish restaurant in an area where there is so much competition.
fancy tablets to order food, which staff kindly helped with, and they were also really helpful with vegan options. literally any dish they have can be made vegan and they said it was not an issue.
I had a big noodle dish with some sides, my partner in crime had a big bento box and my wee one had a satay and corn on the cob.
it was a but pricier than most ot it's competitors but the portions were huge. we did end up with a couple of things we weren't keen on, but that's often the issue with bento's, it's almost impossible to like every dish.
overall a great restaurant, a little oily, buy really good quality.

Pros: vegan options, staff, location

Worth a visit - Edit

We went here for dinner one evening and liked it so much we came back a few days later. The food was excellent, service was good and prices were reasonable. We were seated near a window, and a woman passing by saw me struggling with my chopsticks. She came into the restaurant and tried to show me how to use them. Then she started talking about her ex-boyfriend's mother and other personal things, and we couldn't get rid of her! She finally left, and I finished my meal using a fork.

Pros: Very good food, Good service, Reasonable prices

Favourite Singapore restaurant - Edit

This was the best restaurant we tried in our brief stopover in Singapore in March this year. The food was absolutely heavenly.

Not everything on the menu was vegan, but the staff were very knowledgeable and helpful about what was in everything so we could feel confident.

I can't remember everything we had - see photos above. Some wonderful braised veggies, seitan skewers, a bento set and desserts.

It's not a low budget place, but prices are at par with what we are used to paying at home for this kind of high quality and beautiful setting.

I will definitely be returning to Singapore again in the future to eat here and the other range of great vegan and vegetarian restaurants.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 15, 2014

Pros: Fantastic food, Helpful staff, Lovely decor and ambience

Cons: Not 100% vegan, but staff are helpful

Vegans Don't Have to Give Up Sushi! - Edit

Herbivore offers fantastic vegetarian Japanese food.

The staff are very friendly and remember customers who visit multiple times and any specific food requests they have. (I.e. no mayonnaise, vegan, etc)

They have an expansive menu which is bound to have something for everyone. The avocado, "eel" and "salmon" sushi are our favorites as well as the roasted eggplant appetizer.

We've taken carnivores here who loved it too. Herbivore is a terrific example of vegetarian Japanese and proof that you don't have to give up good tasting food to eat with compassion!

Pros: Friendly staff, Outdoor seating, Sushi!!!

Herbivore - top Japanese vegan stall - Edit

We went there on Father's Day, being more expensive than its cousin Zen restaurant next door, which was closed due to building renovation. The bento set is $21 but full of goodies.. What to say ?? Everything is nice there ! The food taste good, the cooking smelled good in the dining room. We ordered vegan versions of noodles, tempura, tofu and kongbu (sp) a lovely green seaweed. Expensive but excellent... for three people easily top $80.

Pros: wok-energy, vegan mostly, great taste

Cons: expensive

Lured to Herbivore ... - Edit

Live to eat... Eat to live. Great tasting Vegetarian Japanese Cuisine at Herbivore. Herbivoure is a Japanese Western Vegetarian Restaurant located in the one of Vegetarian Food Havens - Bugis. Although it serves Western Vegetarian dishes, we decided to go for Japanese Vegetarian Food, the reason was that it looks appetizing and authentic Vegetarian Japanese Food is not so common in the vegetarian food scene.
Was glad that the dishes were not only well presented but also tastes good too and we have a satisfactory meal. A meatless lover does not have to forgo great tasting food! How wonderful.

Excellent but might not suit those on the budget - Edit

Japanese style food, a bento at around SGD 22. All food we ordered were well done, taste really good and well presented. We (4 adults, a child and a baby in pram) went there for dinner on Saturday night and we had to leave almost right after the meal as there were people q up for a table. Excellent place to eat, but surely not to hang up during peak time. The space between one table to another is not generous as the restaurant is not very big. They have high chair for children and breastfeeding in the restaurant is accepted (i asked and the waiter said no issue).

Pros: Food

Cons: Price

Impressive Food! - Edit

This was one of my favourite restaurants in Singapore. I've never been to a vegetarian Japanese restaurant and their food was so delicious! I had a Japanese mock meat curry set which was so good I ordered the same the second time we went there. I only missed some matcha drinks/deserts on their menu. And the prices are not exactly cheap, but it's really good quality.

The Jamaican in China's Top Pick in Singapore - Edit

I went to Singapore recently, found it to be a "vegan's heaven," had to leave to visit a friend in Manila, and promptly returned within a few days, for no other reason but the great food selection, AND specifically for this restaurant!

Zen Japanese Restaurant is on the 2nd Floor of Midlink Plaza and was walking distance from the relatively inexpensive hostels in Little India.

The food at Zen was fantastic! And while that may sound like an indulgence in hyperbole, after spending the previous six months in various cities in China (which were great, but not particularly vegan-friendly)the Singpore restaurant landscape was a dream come true.

Zen offers soups, several kinds of rice dishes (no brown rice, though) lots of mock meats, sushi and the crispy chicken nuggets....ahhhhhh! My favorite dishes were, yes, the crispy chicken nuggets (in photo), and the tomato spring rolls (also shown). You can mix and match several dishes by ordering in "sets." I went back about four times in one week and still have pages of menu to get to! I got stuck on page one.

The staff was friendly, the presentation of the dishes was visually appealing, and a second floor window seat gives a nice view of the comings and goings of the Singapore street traffic.

Not only would I recommend it, but I would consider it an unforgivable offense if, after being convinced by my review, you didn't wrap up a serving of chicken nuggets and mail it to me after you visit!

[This is an extended appetizer taste of the Jamaican in China Singapore Restaurant Review featured in "Jamaican in China: Guess Who's Coming to Dim Sum" book version of my blog!]

Location: 122 Middle Road #02-02,
Second floor of Midlink Plaza
Tel: 6883 1586
Opening Hours: 11.30am to 2.30pm, 6pm - 10pm

Pros: great food, great service, great presentation

Cons: closes between 2:30 and 6pm

Love It! - Edit

Just our first meal there a couple of weeks ago, and all six in our party were very pleased and we will be returning very soon. The tempura and gyoza were nothing to shout about, but the unagi sushi and the avocado sushi were absolutely to die for!! In fact, I can have some of that sushi right this minute! The two at our table that had the cold green noodles were happy with their choices, and the miso soup had the thumb-up too. And everybody should at least try the sashimi -- it is as real as anything can possibly get! The prices were reasonable, considering the sizes of the servings and the quality.

Pros: yummicious, reasonably priced, good-size portions

Cons: noisy acoustics

I Love Herbivore! - Edit

Japanese vegan food is quite rare in Jakarta, so I tried Ebi Maki Roll and Uh... I forgot the name and it taste so yummy!! I really love the desert! Yum~~ Recommended!

Pros: Clean, Friendly-staff

Cons: Quite expensive

Nice dinner at Herbivore - Edit

I highly recommend their avocado sushi, it is very light on the tummy especially if you are looking for a healthier option. $12

My friend ordered the rice set meal which is full of variety, I have uploaded pictures here for you to see. $14.50

Luv the food & ambience!! - Edit

Juz know this Japanese Veg. Rest recently & went to the restaurant quite a few times already...

I Luv the food very much! the soba, sushi, set meal is worth trying too!! The Eel SEt Meal is very tasty but my friends who dun like rice stuff, dun really fancy it but we both luv the green tea soba & cha soba v.v.much!! BEancurd sushi & california maki is definitely Muz Try for the restaurant!! If you would like dessert, the ice-cream is worth trying too!! Will definitely go there real soon again!!

Pros: Very Tasty Food, Gd Ambience

Return to Central Singapore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Herbivore - Zen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7898 times since Jun 2011.