CLOSED: Herbivore - Mission District

415-826-5657

983 Valencia St (at 21st, Mission District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94110

Serves contemporary vegetarian cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Wide range of offerings from fresh squeeze juices and pancakes to sandwiches, salads, main entrees, and cocktails. Breakfast served daily til 2pm. Casual, modern decor. Prices cheap to moderate. REPORTED CLOSED, AUG 2016. Open Mon-Thu 9:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 9:00am-11:00pm, Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by juliotnunes

Great! - Edit

I was excited to try this place since its an all vegan restaurant. The waiter was really nice and had a multi colored beard. There was a lot of options to chose from on the menu. I got a bahn mi sandwich and my boyfriend ordered macaroni & cheese with broccoli. The bahn mi was good and the bread was super fresh. The macaroni was nice and creamy and the broccoli was great mixed in it. My only complaint is that we ordered garlic bread and didn't really care for it.

Pros: good food, great service, big menu

fast food for vegans - Edit

My overall experience was unsatisfactory. The menu had way too many items making it apparent that all the items were brought in, not made in house. The food was very poor quality as it was huge potions and extremely cheap in price. The taste wasn't too bad but you could tell it was all junk food. The setting was cafeteria style and seemed a bit grungy. They sold way too many fake meat products which is a total turn off. If you're looking for a clean eating vegan establishment, I wouldn't go here. If you're looking for fast, cheap vegan junk food, this is your place.

Pros: friendly staff, cheap (a pro for some people)

Cons: cheap, poor quality, fake meats

great food beats millennium - Edit

Grilled veggie appetizer beautiful. Red curry tofu , lemon grass noodles , finished with chocolate cake . Even a meat eater would enjoy

amazing food - Edit

Very fresh flavors and a good drink menu to boot. I wanted to try everything.

Couple of notes. Service was a little too laid back. The meat is all vegan substitute not the real thing.

No wow factor - Edit

I found this restaurant to be neat, clean, and casual. The food and drink items are a bit pricey, but hey they have bills to pay and not to mention its San Francisco location. The service was friendly. My order was served quick and accurate. I ordered the vegetable sampler. It tasted phenomenal! Thanks for your service guys. Nice job!
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 07, 2016

Pros: Tasteful, Affordable, Good music

Cons: Location

Wonderful vegan menu! - Edit

So many options to choose from. I ordered the gluten free pizza with several toppings and asked to have half the pizza with the traditional red sauce and half with the pesto sauce. Get the pesto sauce!!!!! It's Devine! My friend ordered the vegie sampler. Dipping sauces were really yummy!

The restaurant itself is cute and has an outdoor seating area. Our food was amazing so Go the kitchen staff! You guys know how to whip up great vegan food!

The service left something to be desired. Which would have been excusable if it was busy but it wasn't so not sure what happened there...

Would I return? Yes bc the guys in the kitchen are amazing Chefs

Pros: 100% vegan, Extensive menu

Cons: Lots of soy products on the menu

Great Breakfast - Edit

Breakfast is the hardest meal for eating out vegan. I get really tired of ordering oatmeal and toast at places, especially when they serve them with milk and butter, even after I ask them not to. So it's a relief to be able to sit down at Herbivore with a full breakfast menu of scrambles, pancakes, French toast, lots of juices, and even a breakfast burrito, all with the confidence that they are 100% vegan. I don't live close enough to be a regular here, but I will be back whenever I can.

wasn't keen - Edit

This place was recommended to me by a lovely chap in the Castro. I must say I was a little disappointed it wasn't exclusively vegan as there is meat on the menu but there are loads of options. I ordered a burrito and carrot and almond milk over ice. the drink was lovely but I couldn't finish my meal as there was a big black stone in my burrito. I didnt want another because I'm easily put off by foreign bodies in food, so I just paid and left. It wasn't a nice experience at all. Won't be going back.

Pros: lots of options. price was reasonable for portion

Cons: foreign body in food. not super pleasant staff

Definitely All Vegan - Edit

I visit occasionally for a casual meal, but don't expect too much as the food isn't amazing. I recommend Herbivore mostly for breakfast and lunch.

Pros: 100% vegan, serves alcohol

Cons: understaffed, underwhelming food

Perfect for brunch, lunch and supper - Edit

I love this spot for a lazy morning brunch. Have been visitng for years whenever I am in town. Great for comfort food like pancakes as well as heaps of healthy options. It's not the cheapest option in town but it's quality fare, well prepared and presented with excellent staff. Just try it!

Pros: Delicious varied menu, Attentive informed staff, Great neighbourhood

I will never go here again - Edit

I will never go here again. Terrible is an understatement.

I was at this location on Saturday visiting from out of state. The sign said opened for breakfast at 9:30, we arrived promptly at 9:30 because we had a plane to catch. The cooks were laughing and said they were not ready, come back in 45 mins. That should of been the first sign to leave and never come back. Then, the waitress charged me three times incorrectly on orders that were not mine. She informed me that the charges would be voided. I unfortunately believed her. I spoke with the "manager" today who told me he was at the Berkley location and he would call me back within the hour when he got to the Valencia location, I called him twice and got the ignore button. and went to voicemail. I called the Berkley location and the waiter told me he had left for the day. All day while trying to reach the manager I spoke with very rude employees that were just as incompetent. I have all nine receipts saved, I told the manager I would be happy to fax them over. This place is very unorganized and it is a shame because their food is good and I loved it there. After this terrible experience I will never go there again and tell all of my vegan friends to avoid at all costs.

Cons: terrible management, staff's inability to multitask

great job - Edit

Awesome food, lovely people, great atmosphere. Buffalo chicken great, carafe of wine is like a litre

My go-to spot - Edit

I eat here nearly every week. Everything is good, my carnivore fiancé loves it, and it's the only restaurant I want to meet my friends at. Great prices too, especially for SF. Eat here, you won't be disappointed!

Pros: price, options

The best. - Edit

The place is an absolute gem. The choice of food is amazing: there's something from different world cuisines: American, Mexican, Indian, Thai, Japanese.
But the breakfasts are absolutely the best breakfasts I had in my life. They also do an amazing banana and blueberry ice cream shake - it tastes like heaven.
I wish there was one of these places in UK, it's really special.

Pros: choice, fast service, nice ambience

Cons: none

Strongest point is American vegan comfort food - Edit

Herbivore, despite being 100% vegan, falls a little flat on dishes like salads with lots of fresh veggies, but they have amazing breakfast/brunch (breakfast burritos, tofu scrambles, French toast, etc.) and comfort foods like lentil loaf and chili cheese fries. I wouldn't order their "ethnic" food here either-- their Pad Thai and curries are not as good as the vegan versions of those at restaurants that specialize in those dishes. That said, great find in the Mission for all vegan fare, which of course we love to support, and omnis always find something they like too! Very reasonably priced for their generous portions.

Pros: good value, breakfast, substitute meats/cheeses etc.

Cons: salad game not strong, hit or miss ordering

Herbivore - Edit

I love the Herbivore. Heaven for vegans and very affordable. I just wish they had one in Marin. My favorite is the Baked Falafel Deluxe and the Blueberry Pancakes for breakfast. Desserts are delicious.

Lotsa options on their menu - some meh, some great - Edit

Since the Valencia & Divisidaro locations are convenient for me, I’ve been here more than a few times. Agree that the service is slow and average. A few weeks ago I was at the Divisidaro location and there was only one wait staff and she preferred chatting on her cell phone at the back of the restaurant over waitressing :(

Food is hit and miss - didn’t care for the tempeh sandwich and the blueberry cornbread is way too sweet. But the corn cakes with black beans and hash brown is a winner.

Pros: 100% vegan, some of the dishes

Cons: slow service, some of the dishes

Back to Herbivore - Edit

Had a bad experience at the Berkeley Herbivore, bad food, bad service, careless staff, so when someone told us to try the Mission Herbivore, we mentioned what happened in Berkeley. She said she eats here all the time, and it is always excellent. We weren't disappointed. Great staff, great service, and the food was incredible.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Nice Ambience

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Herbivore - Mission District closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.