CLOSED: Herbivore - Mission District

Contact 415-826-5657

983 Valencia St (at 21st, Mission District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94110

Serves contemporary vegetarian cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Wide range of offerings from fresh squeeze juices and pancakes to sandwiches, salads, main entrees, and cocktails. Breakfast served daily til 2pm. Casual, modern decor. Prices cheap to moderate. REPORTED CLOSED, AUG 2016. Mon-Thu 9:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 9:00am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by juliotnunes

Great! - Edit

I was excited to try this place since its an all vegan restaurant. The waiter was really nice and had a multi colored beard. There was a lot of options to chose from on the menu. I got a bahn mi sandwich and my boyfriend ordered macaroni & cheese with broccoli. The bahn mi was good and the bread was super fresh. The macaroni was nice and creamy and the broccoli was great mixed in it. My only complaint is that we ordered garlic bread and didn't really care for it.

Pros: good food, great service, big menu

fast food for vegans - Edit

My overall experience was unsatisfactory. The menu had way too many items making it apparent that all the items were brought in, not made in house. The food was very poor quality as it was huge potions and extremely cheap in price. The taste wasn't too bad but you could tell it was all junk food. The setting was cafeteria style and seemed a bit grungy. They sold way too many fake meat products which is a total turn off. If you're looking for a clean eating vegan establishment, I wouldn't go here. If you're looking for fast, cheap vegan junk food, this is your place.

Pros: friendly staff, cheap (a pro for some people)

Cons: cheap, poor quality, fake meats

amazing food - Edit

Very fresh flavors and a good drink menu to boot. I wanted to try everything.

Couple of notes. Service was a little too laid back. The meat is all vegan substitute not the real thing.

No wow factor - Edit

I found this restaurant to be neat, clean, and casual. The food and drink items are a bit pricey, but hey they have bills to pay and not to mention its San Francisco location. The service was friendly. My order was served quick and accurate. I ordered the vegetable sampler. It tasted phenomenal! Thanks for your service guys. Nice job!
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 07, 2016

Pros: Tasteful, Affordable, Good music

Cons: Location

Wonderful vegan menu! - Edit

So many options to choose from. I ordered the gluten free pizza with several toppings and asked to have half the pizza with the traditional red sauce and half with the pesto sauce. Get the pesto sauce!!!!! It's Devine! My friend ordered the vegie sampler. Dipping sauces were really yummy!

The restaurant itself is cute and has an outdoor seating area. Our food was amazing so Go the kitchen staff! You guys know how to whip up great vegan food!

The service left something to be desired. Which would have been excusable if it was busy but it wasn't so not sure what happened there...

Would I return? Yes bc the guys in the kitchen are amazing Chefs

Pros: 100% vegan, Extensive menu

Cons: Lots of soy products on the menu

Great Breakfast - Edit

Breakfast is the hardest meal for eating out vegan. I get really tired of ordering oatmeal and toast at places, especially when they serve them with milk and butter, even after I ask them not to. So it's a relief to be able to sit down at Herbivore with a full breakfast menu of scrambles, pancakes, French toast, lots of juices, and even a breakfast burrito, all with the confidence that they are 100% vegan. I don't live close enough to be a regular here, but I will be back whenever I can.

wasn't keen - Edit

This place was recommended to me by a lovely chap in the Castro. I must say I was a little disappointed it wasn't exclusively vegan as there is meat on the menu but there are loads of options. I ordered a burrito and carrot and almond milk over ice. the drink was lovely but I couldn't finish my meal as there was a big black stone in my burrito. I didnt want another because I'm easily put off by foreign bodies in food, so I just paid and left. It wasn't a nice experience at all. Won't be going back.

Pros: lots of options. price was reasonable for portion

Cons: foreign body in food. not super pleasant staff

Definitely All Vegan - Edit

I visit occasionally for a casual meal, but don't expect too much as the food isn't amazing. I recommend Herbivore mostly for breakfast and lunch.

Pros: 100% vegan, serves alcohol

Cons: understaffed, underwhelming food

Perfect for brunch, lunch and supper - Edit

I love this spot for a lazy morning brunch. Have been visitng for years whenever I am in town. Great for comfort food like pancakes as well as heaps of healthy options. It's not the cheapest option in town but it's quality fare, well prepared and presented with excellent staff. Just try it!

Pros: Delicious varied menu, Attentive informed staff, Great neighbourhood

I will never go here again - Edit

I will never go here again. Terrible is an understatement.

I was at this location on Saturday visiting from out of state. The sign said opened for breakfast at 9:30, we arrived promptly at 9:30 because we had a plane to catch. The cooks were laughing and said they were not ready, come back in 45 mins. That should of been the first sign to leave and never come back. Then, the waitress charged me three times incorrectly on orders that were not mine. She informed me that the charges would be voided. I unfortunately believed her. I spoke with the "manager" today who told me he was at the Berkley location and he would call me back within the hour when he got to the Valencia location, I called him twice and got the ignore button. and went to voicemail. I called the Berkley location and the waiter told me he had left for the day. All day while trying to reach the manager I spoke with very rude employees that were just as incompetent. I have all nine receipts saved, I told the manager I would be happy to fax them over. This place is very unorganized and it is a shame because their food is good and I loved it there. After this terrible experience I will never go there again and tell all of my vegan friends to avoid at all costs.

Cons: terrible management, staff's inability to multitask

My go-to spot - Edit

I eat here nearly every week. Everything is good, my carnivore fiancé loves it, and it's the only restaurant I want to meet my friends at. Great prices too, especially for SF. Eat here, you won't be disappointed!

Pros: price, options

The best. - Edit

The place is an absolute gem. The choice of food is amazing: there's something from different world cuisines: American, Mexican, Indian, Thai, Japanese.
But the breakfasts are absolutely the best breakfasts I had in my life. They also do an amazing banana and blueberry ice cream shake - it tastes like heaven.
I wish there was one of these places in UK, it's really special.

Pros: choice, fast service, nice ambience

Cons: none

Strongest point is American vegan comfort food - Edit

Herbivore, despite being 100% vegan, falls a little flat on dishes like salads with lots of fresh veggies, but they have amazing breakfast/brunch (breakfast burritos, tofu scrambles, French toast, etc.) and comfort foods like lentil loaf and chili cheese fries. I wouldn't order their "ethnic" food here either-- their Pad Thai and curries are not as good as the vegan versions of those at restaurants that specialize in those dishes. That said, great find in the Mission for all vegan fare, which of course we love to support, and omnis always find something they like too! Very reasonably priced for their generous portions.

Pros: good value, breakfast, substitute meats/cheeses etc.

Cons: salad game not strong, hit or miss ordering

Herbivore - Edit

I love the Herbivore. Heaven for vegans and very affordable. I just wish they had one in Marin. My favorite is the Baked Falafel Deluxe and the Blueberry Pancakes for breakfast. Desserts are delicious.

Lotsa options on their menu - some meh, some great - Edit

Since the Valencia & Divisidaro locations are convenient for me, I’ve been here more than a few times. Agree that the service is slow and average. A few weeks ago I was at the Divisidaro location and there was only one wait staff and she preferred chatting on her cell phone at the back of the restaurant over waitressing :(

Food is hit and miss - didn’t care for the tempeh sandwich and the blueberry cornbread is way too sweet. But the corn cakes with black beans and hash brown is a winner.

Pros: 100% vegan, some of the dishes

Cons: slow service, some of the dishes

Back to Herbivore - Edit

Had a bad experience at the Berkeley Herbivore, bad food, bad service, careless staff, so when someone told us to try the Mission Herbivore, we mentioned what happened in Berkeley. She said she eats here all the time, and it is always excellent. We weren't disappointed. Great staff, great service, and the food was incredible.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Nice Ambience

Very Average Sandwich / Slow Service - Edit

There are few vegan restaurants in San Francisco that serve breakfast, and Herbivore seemed like an obvious choice based on the reviews I read.

I was initially going to order a breakfast burrito, but after looking through the menu, I figured I would try the tempeh bacon BLT.

I felt I could have done much better myself on such a simple sandwich. It was merely bland tempeh strips with lettuce and tomato on average store-bought bread.

The service was also slow. I was left for most of my meal with an empty glass of water, and the waitress was talking in the kitchen the entire time I was eating.

The restaurant had a really strong stale frying pan smell which wasn't pleasant.

I was going to order dessert, but being that my sandwich was so average, I decided to go elsewhere. I do love supporting vegan restaurants, but Herbivore is not a restaurant I would care to eat at again.

Cons: Average food, Slow service

Non Vegetarian

Contributions +26

Bland, Boring but definitely Vegan - Edit

Standard tofu, wheat, fast food kinda place. Skimpy on beets, mac n cheese was watery yeasty mess. Not recommended there's better.

Deeelicious - Edit

The food I had here was the best I had in San Francisco for sure. They have a great varied menu. I just had a falafel sandwich but it was pretty phenomenal with a yummy salad. They really stuff it with a lot of yummy things and don't skimp on the falafel balls AND it's not fried! It was an excellent amount of food for the price. I don't know what other people are talking about, the service I had here was exceptionally friendly and nice. Recommended!!!

Pros: Delicious and yummy food, Big portion, great menu, all vegan

best vegan breakfast - Edit

Basil pesto tofu scramble, sourdough French toast, sausage biscuit & gravy...everything was phenomenal. Great service too. Winner!
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 20, 2013

Pros: tasty, breakfast, all vegan

Great! - Edit

Extensive all vegan menu with options for meat lovers, health nuts, and everything between.

Nice brunch selection, good beer and wine, reasonable prices, solid service.

Pros: Tasty vegan food, Wide selection, Fair prices

Cons: Not closer to my house, Not open 24 hours

Best menu and great food! - Edit

We had another amazing gluten-free vegan meals here last night. Wish I lived closer! The prices are fair, food is great, and the desserts are scrumptous - just wish there were more gluten-free dessert options.

Not that great - Edit

At Herbivore, there is a bit of everything. Italian, Thai, Mexican, Middle Eastern... Maybe if they stuck to one specialty the food would be better.
I thought it was bland and boring and maybe, just maybe, we picked wrong on that day. We had ravioli with a creamy marinara and mac and cheese as well as salad.
The menu is huge so I hope that some of the items are great but sadly not what we had.

Pros: Tons of choice, All vegan, no need to ask questions, Cheap

Cons: Bland

Vegan American Food - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and haven eaten here 2 or 3 times, on trips to San Francisco Mission District. Was just here in October 2012. Here's my Herbivore review.

The space and decor is similar to their other location on Divisadero, which I had eaten at a few years ago on a past trip to SF. Clean lines, modern and simple, with warm lighting and large front glass windows. This location, however, seems to be getting a bit dated/older.

Nonetheless there were people coming in one after another -- a popular vegan joint, it seemed. It's conveniently located in the Mission District in a trendy walking section of Valencia Street alongside other restaurants, shops, and artsy places.

The menu is varied and reasonably prices; actually, rather inexpensive. My green juice was only $5 where it would cost me $6-7 at a juice bar in LA. Tasted great, too. The breakfast pancake is all right, a bit more doughy than I like but still yummy with banana slices on top and syrup on the side.

One large wooden table with benches sits out front for seating. There is also a small patio in the back though didn't seemed to be in use the last two times I went.

Overall a good place for American vegan cuisine and fresh juice.

Pros: all vegan, friendly staff, popular with locals

Cons: needs better ventilation

Disappointing - Edit

I went around 10 am on a Monday for breakfast. After reviewing the menu, I had narrowed my options down. THe waitress came over and told us they were out of the french toast, crepes, bacon, and sausage. Which was everything I wanted to try, and only left a few items on the menu. I got the pancake/tofu scramble/potatoes. The pancake tasted weird. The scramble was just OK. After I left I immediately felt really sick. The area is really crummy, and didn't seem safe to me. I wouldn't go back.

Cons: out of everything on the menu, unsafe area, made me sick

ocean of options :P - Edit

~ Lasagna - cute, not impressive (me)
~ "Chicken" fried rice (I'm not sure it was this...) - delicious and special (my mom+me). My meat-eater mom said it was like real chicken. I didn't think like that but who cares :P
~ Baked falafel wrap - nice (my dad)

The waitress was confused with my dad's dish, and replaced it.

I would come every week If I could, 'cause the menu is sooooooo varied and takes an hour to read everything :P Unfortunately it was my only day in SF :P

p.s- there was nice music

Pros: varied, kind service, nice prices

Cons: desserts are hidden

tasty - Edit

As an out-of-town vegan I was a bit surprised to find maybe half of all dishes were meat dishes. There were quite a few tasty vegan meals on the menu, and I picked the green papaya salad with chilli, peanuts and tofu. The dish was good.

The green juice was yummy too.

The ambiance was only OK, the servers were friendly.

Pros: plenty of veggie/vegan dishes, fresh juice

Cons: teas were poor, decor/ambiance could be better

good, reliable restarant, lately much better! - Edit

I've been going here on and off since they opened. Their menu has not changed much but that's also blessing. Tonight I had the potato-soy pie with mushroom gravy and a side of greens, and it was excellent! I've had pretty much everything on their menu a few times. I recommend the ravioli (with the basil pesto), the seitan burrito, the coconut noodle soup, the spinach sald, and their fresh juices. For the price you can't beat it in San Francisco for good healthy food.

Pros: tasty, price, nice servers

Fast Food Vegan. Worst Wait Person ever - Edit

It is all Vegan which is great but I never have the feeling after eating here that Ive had anything prepaired fresh or individually. Instead things taste like the base ingred. are prepped and mass assembled.

There is a large variety of Intl foods (Mex, Thai, etc) but nothing tastes really authentic but like an Americanized fast food version. I cant even remember anything Ive had here that really stood out. I think Trader Joes actually has better Vegan Entrees.

I had the rudest wait person ever and when I called the owner to complain his response was 'What do you want me to do about it?"lol. Which I thought was an interesting approach/attitude from a business owner. I thought maybe he was having a bad day so Ive tried his rest. several times but I think judging from my recent experiences and other comments on here customer service is no priority here.

Also, this area of the Mission can be dicey at night so I would recommend tourists be aware of their surroundings.

Pros: Vegan

Cons: Rude Wait ppl, Indifferent Mgmt

AMAZINGLY AWESOME food - Edit

I was in San Francisco for 4 days/nights and I went to Herbivore at least once each day. Soooo many choices and everything is amazing. The chocolate shake is the best shake I've every had (vegan or not). The only thing better than the strawberry shake is the chocolate shake. I wish I had more time there to try every single thing on the menu but whether I was there for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a quick snack, it was all really really good.

Pros: Chocolate Shake, Strawberry Shake, Several options

good from beginning to end - Edit

Love herbivore. Love it! It's a great starter for anyone looking to become vegan, vegetarian, or to show friends and family there's more to vegetarian cooking than salad. Personally this is my favorite herbivore to go to. . . They seem to have the best cooks.

Pros: full vegan menu, quick service

Cons: expensive drinks

Brilliant - Edit

The menu at herbivore is so huge - it's heaven for vegans!! The staff are lovely and the place itself is really nice, and conveniently close to other things as it is in the mission district. My partner and I both had pasta / gnocci dishes which were really nice, hearty tasty meals and good prices. My gnocchi had a pesto sauce which was really good. We also had an oatmeal raisin cookie (best I've ever had!) and a slice of the rhubard strawberry pie, which was delicious.

Pros: Huge choice , good prices, cake!

Great Food! - Edit

Only had a chance to eat here once because I don't live in California. A very large menu to select from. The smoothie was great. I ordered the Soy "Chicken" Schwarma Wrap. it was really tasty. I'll definitely be back when I'm in the area again.

Pros: Great Food, Large menu selection

Great food and awesome selection of items - Edit

Herbivore is where we eat when we're in the City for the most part. It's got a great selection of items and I have never been let down by their daily soup. The deserts are super good too.

Pros: Good food, Great selection, Tasty deserts

Cons: I suppose parking can be a hassle

Yum! - Edit

So I decided to check out all three Herbivore locations, this one is definitely good! I was starving one morning and had to have a huge tofu scramble, and did this place deliver! I ordered the southwestern tofu which consisted of tofu, black beans, salsa, and potatoes. It was so good that I finished the whole thing. My friend got the pancakes and she loved them too. I'd recommend staying away from the desserts here, as I've certainly had better. With that said, their food (less the desserts) is absolutely fantastic.

As a note about the neighborhood, it's really cute and has some small boutique shops near by; however, just a few blocks away is a highly sketchy area. If you decide to take a bus there, be mindful of your surroundings, but know that a safe area with good vegan food is within a few blocks.

Love this place - Edit

The quality is excellent and the prices are way affordable. I had the spinach and beet salad with hemp dressing..tons of fresh beets, lots of spinach and just the right amount of dressing. I also had zaatar which was really delicious. Their deserts are great too. The service was great and the place was spotless.......I've been to all the vegan restaurants in town and Herbivore is the most consistent......

Pros: price, fresh, delicious

Solid option - Edit

This was my second time to an Herbivore restaurant after a long gap. Now i remember why I haven't been there in awhile! Not that it's a bad option, far from it. The menu gets you going with excitement, as there are tons of choices. And, truth be told, all of them were good, some even very good. But this is not a "five cow" place, which is why I remember not rushing to go back. If you're in the area, it's a very good option, but you need to order carefully. Our meal was mixed: the char-grilled portobello sandwich was lovely, and the seasoned potatoes accompanying were solid. The potato salad was also fresh and well made. But our burrito was not particularly good, though it was huge. It lacked any real flavour, and was very light on the sour cream. The Indonesian salad was also just OK, and the strawberry-rhubarb pie seemed to have had better days.

To reiterate, everything was at least good, but only the sandwich and potato salad were really memorable. Service was erratic, as they seemed to lack enough waitress(es) for the place.

Pros: Huge portions, diverse menu

my 2nd favorite restaurant in SF-all vegan! - Edit

I love this place. I know some of my SF friends think it's just ok, but I've never been disappointed in anything I've eaten there and the staff has always been friendly. My partner and I enjoy it so much that on our trip this past weekend, we went straight there for breakfast from the airport. I recommend the vegan donuts, the tofu scrambles, the pancakes, the roasted almonds and the lemongrass noodles. I also enjoy the mac and cheese, though it has a strong nutritional yeast flavor that my partner isn't a fan of, especially since we've discovered daiya cheese and can make great mac and cheese at home. The restaurant is cozy, but it's SF after all and I enjoy the fruit and veg photos that decorate the place. This is my "2nd" favorite place only because a new restaurant-Gracias Madre has better atmosphere and a changing menu.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, all vegan

Wish I had read the last review beforehand! - Edit

Had dinner here on the last day of our visit to San Francisco. I ordered the shish kebab with homemade seitan on quinoa. It only got one piece of seitan on each of the two skewers and it was just so-so; the side salad that came with it was good though. My boyfriend did the Indonesian udon noodle. The flavor was too mild, and the "udon" wasn't even udon to begin with, more like linguine. That said, portions were big, so it was rather cheap in that regard.

Pros: cheap

Good Vegan Cuisine in the Mission - Edit

I've eaten at Valencia Herbivore... so many times. I've had great experiences and I've had not so great experiences. They have a high turnover rate, so I'm guessing they don't treat their waitstaff that well. Sometimes the service is GREAT, sometimes TERRIBLE, but most of the time it's so-so.

The food is pretty good. I could rundown everything on the menu, but I'll keep it short.

First my favorites: Breakfast here is really good. I like the savory crepe with basil, the pancakes, the southwestern scram, the breakfast burrito and the TLT.

Lunch is good as well- The soy chicken shwarma is my favorite. They also have a really good veggie burger and the salads are great as well. They make good soups, but I would ask what the soup of the day is because the ones on the menu aren't very good.

For dinner I like the portabella with polenta, the ravioli, the potato soy pie, the moussaka and especially the lentil loaf.

My favorite appetizer is the crispy tacos. The mushrooms are really good as well.

The dishes I would advise avoiding are: the ceviche (a good idea but on bread? blah), the shish kebob, the kung pao, the lemongrass noodles and, well everything else that is Asian inspired. They do not do Asian cuisine very well in my opinion.

Pros: Good menu, lots of choices, Great location

Cons: Service is pretty hit or miss

Can't wait to try lunch or dinner - Edit

As the last stop of our veg'n tour of San Francisco, we had breakfast here before flying home to Seattle. Was delicious. They were out of vegan donuts though! We were looking to compare something to mighty o'.

Will definately be on our list for our next trip for something other than breakfast. The lunch/dinner menus looked awfully tasty!

Pros: inexpensive, great service

Love it, love it, love it! - Edit

I swear, Herbivore, one of their two locations, is my first stop the next time I'm in San Francisco. I have only been once but everything was delicious and trying to pick just one entree to order was excruciatingly difficult. When I focus I can still taste that delicious "green juice" smoothie.

I ordered the potato-soy pie which I haven't seen on other menus before; if I did, I can't imagine it could be anywhere near as I had at Herbivore. My friend has he moussaka which I was able to taste and it was delectable.

Just go to Herbivore, it's fantastic. I'll see you there!

Pros: Incredible menu, Breakfast served also, Location

Cons: Service could have been better

Used to be a favorite - Edit

This restaurant used to be a favorite of mine. Boy are those days looong gone. I remember back in 2005 visiting San Francisco - heading straight over to Herbivore and getting one of the best vegan meals I'd had in a long time. The following year I visited again and found the food had somewhat changed in quality - from the time it took to get the food after ordering (15 minutes on a non-busy day) to the fact that most of the food was warmish and bland. Two more years go by and I visit again just to be served bland "I just learned to cook vegan this week" type of food. I had gnocchi which was so soft and 'fall apartish' with a red water sauce trying to pass for pasta sauce. I for some crazy reason went back again the next day and tried the sweet and sour noodle soup. This dish really confused me. How can you have upwards of 8 items in a soup and yet it still tasted bland and boring?? I've worked in a few restaurants and know when a chef is preparing the food and when a new barely trained line cook is 'making' the food. It just seemed like the people making the food were no more vegan than a cattle rancher. I doubt they even know what vegan is. I am now highly disappointed in this restaurant and doubt I will return. Having said all of that..I will add that their french toast and carrot cake is pretty tasty. That's about it.

Pros: french toast/carrot cake

Cons: bland food, can make better food at home, appears to be non-vegan line cooks

i tried - Edit

after living in Brooklyn and having the vegan american style food there i was excited to try Herbivore. Boy was i dissapointed. Assured by others it must have been an "off day" i tried it several more times. Still never that good. The food is WAY overpriced for how much you get and how good it is. Seriously.

Pros: all vegan

Cons: too exspensive, over hyped

as often as i can - Edit

i bring friends here when we come to the city, be they vegan vegetarian or carnivore. everyone only ever loves this place. the food is always exceptional, the service hip cool and timely, and the prices are great for such large portions.
parking can be a major hassle. i have never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a table.
the food is a blend of asian, western and maybe south american, all of it flavorful and all of it well made and perfectly spiced and seasoned.
for a fast, healthy (meat free, not necessarily low oil) meal, there is little reason to go elsewhere in san fran.

Pros: clean, with clean restroom, wide menu selection, seasoned waiters

Cons: parking, wait for a table, sometimes

Best Tofu Scramble - Edit

Was here a year and half ago. Service was a little unfriendly (compared to the typical NYC vegan waitstaff), but the food was out of control good. I had a tofu scramble with spinach and tomatoes and fried potatoes, fruit, and toast with tea, and it was all so good and inexpensive. Since then, I have yet to have as good brunch anywhere else, either in SF, europe, or NYC. Though I was only there once, all the food coming out of the kitchen looked fresh and flavorful. The space is airy and pleasant with a large window and walls painted in vibrant colors and the menu is huge. My friend and I lingered. Great brunch spot right on a main drag in the mission. Perfect for a sunny late weekend morning or early afternoon brunch. Definitely one of my favorite SF dining experiences!

Pros: delicious, huge menu , in the Mission

Cons: closes early (by NYC standards), unfriendly owner/manager/waitress?

Worth driving those 400 miles - Edit

The food here is well prepared and they serve big portions of it too, so it is worth every penny. Herbivore is located in a friendly neighborhood, therefore; the waiters and waitresses are very nice. It is a must to try the chocolate cake dessert with a serving of either chocolate or vanilla shake. For beverages, alcohol is an option. Overall, it is a great place to dine. Fearing friends won't like it? WRONG!! MY father who is the number 1 omnivore enjoyed it more than I did.

great - Edit

I had a very enjoyable breakfast here. my breakfast burrito was not unlike the one Chaos Cafe in Portland OR offers, but thats a good thing! It's much smaller than the one in Berkeley, and darker (no sun in your face).

Pros: good food, healthy, location

Great food, great service - Edit

I really liked Herbivore. The service was super-attentive and efficient. The ambience is nice. My "chicken" sandwich was delicious and filling, with unusual flavors of garlic-lemon sauce. I also loved the vegetable-protein taco appetizers. I hadn't had quality vegan Mexican food in a long time, so that was a treat. Finally, they had Maggie Mudd ice cream, which was a great dessert. On a whole, the food and service were great and the prices were reasonable, too.

Pros: Service, Taste, Selection

Cons: Location

Great Food - Edit

This place is really good, its so nice to go to a restaurant as a vegan and have everything on the menu available to you. Only thing: I wouldnt recommend the mac and cheese its not that great. also the milk shake is ok, not great(:

Pros: great menu, not too pricey, fresh and delicious

Cons: mac and cheese, milk shake, overpriced cookies

good food; all vegan ( : - Edit

I've been here three times, and each time the food was great overall. It was extremely busy at night, and we got seated in the back next to the bathrooms... it's a little more private, but also... next to the bathrooms. The hard tacos were a bit of a let down; I like the ones that I make at home better (the "cheeze" on them was just plain cold tofu... boo). The ravioli in creamy tomato sauce is absolutely delicious. The mac and cheeze didn't taste like I was expecting it to, but it was still really good. The donuts are great. The lasagna was alright, not great, but not bad... a little on the dry side. The bbq soy "chicken" sandwhich is AMAZING! It comes with a salad and potatoes, which are also good. I've gotten it twice, and I'd probably eat it every day if I could. Vegetable sampler was okay/good... one of the sauces was pretty nasty, I don't remember any of us wanting to finish it, but the other two were good. Linguine primevera with creamy tomato was sauce was decent, but not great. The vanilla shake was delicious.

Pros: good food, decent prices, large portions

Cons: lousy set up, too busy at night

vegan diner with tex-mex flair - Edit

i didn't expect this "chain" to be vegan-- it was a little surprising for a place which felt mainstream to effortlessly put forth cruelty-free meals. came here for both dinner and breakfast, and there always was food left on the plates... in fact, my dining companion was irritated by the size of the portions as there was no way we could possibly eat it all :-) happy to see it was licensed. studenty-feel.

Pros: nice selection, ample servings, fast service

Cons: basic fare

my favourite! - Edit

I went there seven years ago and now, while visiting SF again I couldn't ignore one of my favourite restaurants in the world! we had some crispy tacos as appetizer and they were crunchy and spicy, then seitan skewers (but there was just a piece of seitan per skewer..) and a potato pie, really good.
then we shared a chocolate brownie ice cream, we don't have stuff like that (like heaven) in italy..
seven years ago I remember I had the carrot cake and it was soo yummy!!

saturday night - Edit

so i guess it's okay to have crap service. it was busy, hey but if you don't like it, eep going this way!!!
i wont list all my issues, but the staff had a face like fizz!!!!!!and i left without eating.

Cons: bad service

Great food! worth twice the price!! - Edit

Fabulous restaurant where EVERYTHING is vegan! I love the mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes!! The pastas are wonderful too. Even the most basic things are great- don't miss the grilled corn on the cob with lime and chile. There is enough here to order something different every day for a month! Don't miss the desserts either - vegan pies - ice cream - cake - delish!!

Pros: CHEAP!!

Cons: Parking is difficult

good - Edit

we ordered take-out so didn't have the full dining experience but the food was good, especially the carrot cake!

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Herbivore - Mission District closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10863 times since Aug 2007.