CLOSED: Herbivore - Divisadero

Contact 415-885-7133

531 Divisadero St (at Fell, Western Addition District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94117

One of the two Herbivore vegan restaurants in San Francisco city; there is another in Berkeley. Serves contemporary vegetarian cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Wide range of offerings from fresh squeeze juices and pancakes to sandwiches, salads, main entrees, and cocktails. Breakfast served daily til 2pm. Casual, modern decor. Prices cheap to moderate. Confirmed closed, Oct 2015. Open Mon-Thu 9:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 9:00am-11:00pm, Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Janelle

very tasty - Edit

Always love going to a place where everything on the menu is "fair game." Delicious food. Ate breakfast before catching a flight home. Somewhat noisy. Basil pesto tofu scrambles w/ veggies was fantastic. Service was somewhat slow. Would definitely go back.

WANT BLAND!? COME HERE! - Edit

We ordered tofu scrambles, and it's another case where people that aren't vegan are making vegan food, and I am not sure if they are tasting it. It tasted like the color yellow.
The tempeh bacon had cinnamon or something on it, so adding salt made it worse.
One waiter told a couple outdoor seating was closed when no one was sitting out there. Only for another waiter to seat two people outside ten minutes later.
I wondered why on a Saturday at 10:30am, this place wasn't busy. It's because the food just isn't good.

Pros: lots of seating, large portions

Cons: bland food

Excellent choice - Edit

I went last night right around closing with two of my friends who are omnivores but open to vegan eating - I got the deluxe shawarma, and my friends got the deluxe falafel and the lemon penne pasta. We all got different sides with ours, all delicious! All the dishes had a lot of flavor, and at a very good price for SF! The desserts were a little pricey; I grabbed the chaos cookie for 2.50. Although we had to get our food to go, the atmosphere inside was very open and friendly, and the staff were more than willing to help us despite our arrival 10 minutes before closing!

I was slightly disappointed that they use daiya instead of a nut-based cheese, but that's just personal preference. None of us got a dish that used it.

Pros: good food, not too expensive, good service

Best Vegan Place for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner! - Edit

Herbivore is so amazing - we went there 4 times on our 2 day trip to San Fran!

The first time we went for breakfast and got grilled corn cakes with a side of tempeh bacon. The house potatoes were amazing, especially dipped in the sour cream. The tofu and the corn cakes were really delicious too. The tempeh bacon was really good but only came out once we'd eaten everything else - would have been nice to eat it with the other stuff rather than by itself. We also ordered a sweet crepe which was a perfect "breakfast dessert" after our tofu scramble.

The next time we went back there we got a take away pizza. The pizzas are a set price and you just choose which toppings you want and pay extra for each topping - comes with Daiya cheese! Pizza was great, really fresh toppings, loved the BBQ chicken.

We went there for breakfast again and this time ordered the southwestern tofu scramble - similar to the savoury breakfast we had before, except this time with blueberry corn bread, which was amazing! We also ordered some french toast, which was hands down the best vegan breakfast I ever had. The vegan butter was absolutely incredible and just how I remember dairy butter tasting.

Before we left San Fran we got some takeaway pizza which was perfect for the plane :) It also happened to be right next to a laundromat so we were able to do some washing before we left for our flight.

Very reasonably priced, especially for San Francisco, excellent service, amazing breakfast options, definitely worth multiple visits!

Pros: Great prices, Amazing all vegan food, Good hours

Great place. - Edit

We had a red curry, meatballs and a blueberry pie. The curry was gorgeous, meatballs ok (nothing special) and the pie was my least favourite but I think that's what that pie must be, not to my taste.
The menu is amazing and the service was quite fast.

Pros: choice, quality, all vegan

Cons: cakes too pricey

Contributions +394

Pretty good - Edit

I like all the options this place has. I ordered the Indian wrap and it was really tasty. The only complaint I have was that my food was luke warm.

Pros: good staff, lots of options

Cons: Luke warm food

Worth it - Edit

I had the delicious combo plate with a pancake, tofu scramble with veggies, and house potatoes with fresh OJ. Lots of selections on the menu that make me want to return. Definitely priced right. Friendly service. No wait for Sunday brunch. Highly recommend.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 15, 2015

Pros: No wait, Delicious food, Great service

If only we had more of these..... - Edit

This is a restaurant with large varieties of different vegan food. You can get starters, Italien, Mexican, and American food. Desserts, juices and shakes. You can basically get all you desire and not just one meal but there are different meals for several visits. And the best part is that the food is fresh and very tasty. If I lived in San Francisco, this would be my regular restaurant....
Service was ok and we did not have to wait long to get our food neither of the times we visited. The only smaller minus is that the place it self is not the most cosy place, but the quality of the food makes up for that. If you are in San Francisco this place is a "must try".

Pros: Goooood food, Many different courses, Reasonable prices

Cons: Not the most cosy place

Love Herbivore - Edit

Sorry - I couldn't figure out how to change the restaurant - this should have been Mission District Herbivore. But I love them both! I'm not a big fan of fake meat (which they have a lot of here), but I love a restaurant where I can order and eat ANYTHING on the menu! This is my first visit to the Mission District restaurant, and we had a good time here. I had the falafel wrap and it was very good (and huge). A couple of people had large plates of pasta that looked great. This is a small, basic restaurant, all vegan and very affordable.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 29, 2014

Pros: Large menu, Friendly staff

Nice place - Edit

Went here for lunch and both ordered a cheese steak sandwich and - yay - a Dutch beer. Nice people, good service and free water, but the sandwich was a bit too sticky as in that I'd like to have had some more veggies on it. I could hardly eat the whole thing and got offered a doggybag so I could Enjoy the other half elsewhere. But maybe that's just the way of eating i'm used to now ;)

Pros: Good service, Serves alcohol, Doggybags

Cons: Would've liked more veggies

Disappointing - Edit

I remember coming to herbivore about ten years ago and being blown away. On my most recent trip to san francisco I came here twice and was pretty disappointed. The menu is just boring and the food was mediocre at best. I ordered penne with meatballs and the sauce was ok but the meatballs were not good and I could barely eat it. My husband ordered the bbq seitan sandwich, which was ok, but nothing special. On my next visit I tried their brunch. I ordered tofu scramble with potatoes and french toast. The potatoes were underdone and very bland. I ordered a brownie to go which was pretty dry. Again, just very mediocre and not what it used to be:(

Good vegan food - Edit

This is not a fancy place, but pleasant for lunch or an informal dinner. We ate here two times. One time I had the pizza and a small salad and thoroughly enjoyed. If you eat real cheese, don't order a vegan pizza, but if you don't eat real cheese, this was very satisfying, the bread used was thin and crisp. The other time I ordered the grilled beef and vegetable tahini salad. It was good, but could have used more tahini. I would have ordered the phillo (that's how they spell it) dough pie, but was told that it is not whole grain flour. My spouse ordered a combo - soup and a grilled sandwich one time and enjoyed it but not amazing and the second time he had beef stroganoff, which was good, and garlic bread, which wasn't anything so impressive.

Pros: a lot of variety on the menu

Cons: a bit expensive for the type of place, not such amazing decor

Excellent food with huge variety! - Edit

It was so difficult to choose what to order because there were so many things I wanted to try! We ended up ordering the cheese steak sandwich, which was delicious and really hit the spot! We also had the meatball sandwich, which was nice and cheesy, but didn't have veggies so I preferred the cheese steak sandwich. Ordered macaroni salad as a side and it was delicious! I really need to make that at home.

The raspberry cheesecake was good and the German chocolate cake was mediocre - it could have had more flavor.

The atmosphere was really fun with good music and we enjoyed sitting outside in the private back yard shaded by trees.

The staff were super friendly and one of the guys who was cleaning the table ended up chatting with me and the next thing I knew he brought me out a sample of the broccoli soup (very creamy and tasty!). He also highly recommended the chicken shawarma for next time.

Pros: Wide variety of vegan food, Excellent sandwiches, Great atmosphere

Cons: Desserts could have been more flavorful

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Herbivore - Divisadero closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.