CLOSED: Herbivore - Divisadero

Contact 415-885-7133

531 Divisadero St (at Fell, Western Addition District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94117

One of the two Herbivore vegan restaurants in San Francisco city; there is another in Berkeley. Serves contemporary vegetarian cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Wide range of offerings from fresh squeeze juices and pancakes to sandwiches, salads, main entrees, and cocktails. Breakfast served daily til 2pm. Casual, modern decor. Prices cheap to moderate. Confirmed closed, Oct 2015.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Janelle

very tasty - Edit

Always love going to a place where everything on the menu is "fair game." Delicious food. Ate breakfast before catching a flight home. Somewhat noisy. Basil pesto tofu scrambles w/ veggies was fantastic. Service was somewhat slow. Would definitely go back.

WANT BLAND!? COME HERE! - Edit

We ordered tofu scrambles, and it's another case where people that aren't vegan are making vegan food, and I am not sure if they are tasting it. It tasted like the color yellow.
The tempeh bacon had cinnamon or something on it, so adding salt made it worse.
One waiter told a couple outdoor seating was closed when no one was sitting out there. Only for another waiter to seat two people outside ten minutes later.
I wondered why on a Saturday at 10:30am, this place wasn't busy. It's because the food just isn't good.

Pros: lots of seating, large portions

Cons: bland food

Excellent choice - Edit

I went last night right around closing with two of my friends who are omnivores but open to vegan eating - I got the deluxe shawarma, and my friends got the deluxe falafel and the lemon penne pasta. We all got different sides with ours, all delicious! All the dishes had a lot of flavor, and at a very good price for SF! The desserts were a little pricey; I grabbed the chaos cookie for 2.50. Although we had to get our food to go, the atmosphere inside was very open and friendly, and the staff were more than willing to help us despite our arrival 10 minutes before closing!

I was slightly disappointed that they use daiya instead of a nut-based cheese, but that's just personal preference. None of us got a dish that used it.

Pros: good food, not too expensive, good service

Best Vegan Place for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner! - Edit

Herbivore is so amazing - we went there 4 times on our 2 day trip to San Fran!

The first time we went for breakfast and got grilled corn cakes with a side of tempeh bacon. The house potatoes were amazing, especially dipped in the sour cream. The tofu and the corn cakes were really delicious too. The tempeh bacon was really good but only came out once we'd eaten everything else - would have been nice to eat it with the other stuff rather than by itself. We also ordered a sweet crepe which was a perfect "breakfast dessert" after our tofu scramble.

The next time we went back there we got a take away pizza. The pizzas are a set price and you just choose which toppings you want and pay extra for each topping - comes with Daiya cheese! Pizza was great, really fresh toppings, loved the BBQ chicken.

We went there for breakfast again and this time ordered the southwestern tofu scramble - similar to the savoury breakfast we had before, except this time with blueberry corn bread, which was amazing! We also ordered some french toast, which was hands down the best vegan breakfast I ever had. The vegan butter was absolutely incredible and just how I remember dairy butter tasting.

Before we left San Fran we got some takeaway pizza which was perfect for the plane :) It also happened to be right next to a laundromat so we were able to do some washing before we left for our flight.

Very reasonably priced, especially for San Francisco, excellent service, amazing breakfast options, definitely worth multiple visits!

Pros: Great prices, Amazing all vegan food, Good hours

Great place. - Edit

We had a red curry, meatballs and a blueberry pie. The curry was gorgeous, meatballs ok (nothing special) and the pie was my least favourite but I think that's what that pie must be, not to my taste.
The menu is amazing and the service was quite fast.

Pros: choice, quality, all vegan

Cons: cakes too pricey

Pretty good - Edit

I like all the options this place has. I ordered the Indian wrap and it was really tasty. The only complaint I have was that my food was luke warm.

Pros: good staff, lots of options

Cons: Luke warm food

Worth it - Edit

I had the delicious combo plate with a pancake, tofu scramble with veggies, and house potatoes with fresh OJ. Lots of selections on the menu that make me want to return. Definitely priced right. Friendly service. No wait for Sunday brunch. Highly recommend.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 15, 2015

Pros: No wait, Delicious food, Great service

If only we had more of these..... - Edit

This is a restaurant with large varieties of different vegan food. You can get starters, Italien, Mexican, and American food. Desserts, juices and shakes. You can basically get all you desire and not just one meal but there are different meals for several visits. And the best part is that the food is fresh and very tasty. If I lived in San Francisco, this would be my regular restaurant....
Service was ok and we did not have to wait long to get our food neither of the times we visited. The only smaller minus is that the place it self is not the most cosy place, but the quality of the food makes up for that. If you are in San Francisco this place is a "must try".

Pros: Goooood food, Many different courses, Reasonable prices

Cons: Not the most cosy place

Love Herbivore - Edit

Sorry - I couldn't figure out how to change the restaurant - this should have been Mission District Herbivore. But I love them both! I'm not a big fan of fake meat (which they have a lot of here), but I love a restaurant where I can order and eat ANYTHING on the menu! This is my first visit to the Mission District restaurant, and we had a good time here. I had the falafel wrap and it was very good (and huge). A couple of people had large plates of pasta that looked great. This is a small, basic restaurant, all vegan and very affordable.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 29, 2014

Pros: Large menu, Friendly staff

Nice place - Edit

Went here for lunch and both ordered a cheese steak sandwich and - yay - a Dutch beer. Nice people, good service and free water, but the sandwich was a bit too sticky as in that I'd like to have had some more veggies on it. I could hardly eat the whole thing and got offered a doggybag so I could Enjoy the other half elsewhere. But maybe that's just the way of eating i'm used to now ;)

Pros: Good service, Serves alcohol, Doggybags

Cons: Would've liked more veggies

Disappointing - Edit

I remember coming to herbivore about ten years ago and being blown away. On my most recent trip to san francisco I came here twice and was pretty disappointed. The menu is just boring and the food was mediocre at best. I ordered penne with meatballs and the sauce was ok but the meatballs were not good and I could barely eat it. My husband ordered the bbq seitan sandwich, which was ok, but nothing special. On my next visit I tried their brunch. I ordered tofu scramble with potatoes and french toast. The potatoes were underdone and very bland. I ordered a brownie to go which was pretty dry. Again, just very mediocre and not what it used to be:(

Good vegan food - Edit

This is not a fancy place, but pleasant for lunch or an informal dinner. We ate here two times. One time I had the pizza and a small salad and thoroughly enjoyed. If you eat real cheese, don't order a vegan pizza, but if you don't eat real cheese, this was very satisfying, the bread used was thin and crisp. The other time I ordered the grilled beef and vegetable tahini salad. It was good, but could have used more tahini. I would have ordered the phillo (that's how they spell it) dough pie, but was told that it is not whole grain flour. My spouse ordered a combo - soup and a grilled sandwich one time and enjoyed it but not amazing and the second time he had beef stroganoff, which was good, and garlic bread, which wasn't anything so impressive.

Pros: a lot of variety on the menu

Cons: a bit expensive for the type of place, not such amazing decor

Excellent food with huge variety! - Edit

It was so difficult to choose what to order because there were so many things I wanted to try! We ended up ordering the cheese steak sandwich, which was delicious and really hit the spot! We also had the meatball sandwich, which was nice and cheesy, but didn't have veggies so I preferred the cheese steak sandwich. Ordered macaroni salad as a side and it was delicious! I really need to make that at home.

The raspberry cheesecake was good and the German chocolate cake was mediocre - it could have had more flavor.

The atmosphere was really fun with good music and we enjoyed sitting outside in the private back yard shaded by trees.

The staff were super friendly and one of the guys who was cleaning the table ended up chatting with me and the next thing I knew he brought me out a sample of the broccoli soup (very creamy and tasty!). He also highly recommended the chicken shawarma for next time.

Pros: Wide variety of vegan food, Excellent sandwiches, Great atmosphere

Cons: Desserts could have been more flavorful

Nice! - Edit

We've been here a few times. The first time I got an amazing chicken caesar salad, which I still think about today. The next time we got many entrees and everything was very good. Nice little neighborhood, too!

Kinda Haphazard But Pretty Good - Edit

Pretty Good Food...lentil load was a little dry and lacking in spice. Shooting tools were tasty though. Meatball sandwich "meat" was not really ball-shaped, by any means, but it was sweet, savory, and pleasant. Restaurant was pretty understaffed, but server was efficient and pleasant. So..you know, pretty ok good.

Pros: Varied Menu

Nice vegan place - Edit

I tried this restaurant after a full day visit of the city and I was very hungry. This place totally met my expectations in terms of vegan american food, with big portions. I ordered a burger with fries which was good (even if a little bit dry). The staff was friendly, the place was pleasant and prices were fair. Try it without fear.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, big portions

Cons: burgers and fries may be a bit dry

Delicious! - Edit

My husband and I visited Herbivore when we were in San Francisco on our honeymoon. We loved it so much that we went back again a day later! The food was outstanding and the vibe was great, very relaxed. We loved that they offered juicing as we had been having a hard time finding places that did on our trip. Everything we had was so good and fresh. Makes us sad we don't live in San Fran as this would definitely be a go to place for us.

Pros: Excellent food, Great selection, Friendly staff

Best Selection - Edit

This place has the largest-variety menu that I have ever seen in ANY restaurant. Everything from pizza to burrito, to asian food. I had a very tasty pho-type noodle soup with a side of garlic bread. The staff that served me was friendly and competent.

Pros: great food, great selection, friendly staff

Cons: none

Service is horrendeous - Edit

A couple weeks ago my partner and I ate there, for probably about the 20th time. The service has always ranged from "relaxed" to "slow", but something was really wrong this time. One waitress took our order, then totally ignored us. When we finally flagged her down, she told us we'd been reassigned to another waitress. The other waitress then gave us the worst service I have ever had in my life. Like, both waitresses were sitting at one of the back tables themselves eating, while we were waiting for our food, which was sitting on the counter in from of the cooks. We had to finally ask one of the cooks if we could take our own plates to the table. That's just one example--had to ask for my beverage literally three times before it arrived, lots of other ways the device just sucked.
I think what happened is when both waitresses realized that there'd been a problem, they both thought "oh well, they're not going to tip well, so why even bother giving them a modicum of service."
And the grossest part? One waitress (long blond wavy hair, in her mid 20s I would guess) was at the table by the bathroom. She saw my husband heading for the bathroom, and jumped up and ran into the bathroom before him. She was in there quite a while. Then the toilet flushed, and half a second later she opened the door. There is no way she washed her hands after she used the toilet!
BTW, husband and I ate at the Berkeley Herbivore about a week later. Service and food were both great.

Pros: food, location

Cons: service, service, service

I loved Herbivore! - Edit

Yum, yum, yum! My husband and I went out of our way to eat here and I was thrilled that we did. The food was very good! We even stayed for desert...brownies with coconut ice cream :o) My only complaint is that the service was not all that great. We had two people waiting on us, one was nice enough, the other wasn't so much. Too bad because otherwise it would have been a great total package experience.

Pros: Very good food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Staff not always friendly

Greasebomb - Edit

My first time in San Francisco, so I found this place online and the menu had me drooling. Their options sound like an exciting, balanced variety. I admit I didn't read any reviews before ordering..

The staff was friendly and helpful, and that combined with the potential awesomeness of *other* dishes on the menu keep me from giving Herbivore two stars. I ordered a sandwich, side of macaroni salad, and slice of carrot cake. The cake was lovely (but with lemony icing?) and the rest was very disappointing.

I'm not concerned with avoiding unhealthy or guilty pleasure food. I completely embrace junk food. But what I ordered turned out to be a slimy mess! I had to wash my hands halfway through my sandwich because my hands were completely glazed.
I made it 2/3 through my meal and my stomach was not pleased. Grease bomb. The cake, I had for breakfast the next day and it was redeeming. I'd give this place a second chance sometime, but I was disappointed with what I had.

Pros: fast, carrot cake

Cons: slimy

My favorite in San Francisco - Edit

I love herbivore. I've been to San Francisco twice, and both time repeated my visit to this great restaurant.
Kid friendly food, very tasty, plenty of options, entrees, main dishes.
Very well served, friendly staff (also spanish speaking). It's clean and affordable.

I highly recommend it.

Pros: great food, affordable, many options

Another visit needed? - Edit

My hubby and sister and I were thrilled to see the many choices on Herbivore's menu. Between us, we ordered the BBQ sandwich, the meatball sandwich and the tempeh BLT. Two of us had green salads with our sandwiches. The service was very speedy. The food? The sandwich bread was very fresh and tasty, the salads also fresh with a light lemon dressing. The meatball sandwich needed improvement. It didn't have much flavor and had a very mushy texture. We had to ask for marinara sauce because they didn't include it on the sandwich. The report from my husband on the BBQ sandwich was that it was also lacking in flavor, but then he usually compares BBQ sandwiches to those at Dharmas in Santa Cruz. My sandwich was good, but heavy on the bread. We still feel we'd give Herbivore a second try and next time just try something different. The fact that we all wanted sandwiches was unusual.

Pros: robust menu, quick service, friendly staff

Fantastic - Edit

Great food and a massive selection. Lovely decor...staff were nice, if a bit cold. But the food was great. Especially the chocolate raw cheesecake! I want that recipe! Reasonable prices too.

Pros: big selection, great food, big portions

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - Edit

OMG I loved this restaurant!! I had a salad and sandwich and coffee, all of which left me wanting more! Their menu is HUGE with EVERYTHING from pastas, stirfrys, tacos, and of course the usual salads, soups, and sandwiches. I'm dying to go back.

Pros: ALL vegan, huge menu, great service

Good food - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and stopped in for breakfast/brunch on a past trip to San Francisco. Here's my Herbivore - Divisadero review.

Prior to visiting, I had heard this place was similar to Real Food Daily in Los Angeles area, but I have to say Herbivore is different. The food we tried was flavorful. Friends and I came for brunch, ordered the banana pancakes, burritio, soysausage plate, and basil-pesto tofu scramble. Each came with a side of pan-fried potatoes.

I would recommend the burrito and soysausage plates. The basil-pesto scramble had a bit salty after taste. The pancakes were yummy.

The setting is casual and relaxed, kinda trendy. Aside from the slow service on the day we went (only 1 waitstaff on duty), I was satisfied.

A good place to try vegan American food.

Pros: good portions, varied selection, fresh juices

Cons: slow service

FAB - Edit

Visiting San Francisco, staying in the Castro area. Restaurant was a close cab ride, or a 15 to 20 min walk away. Nice clean atmosphere with friendly staff. Fast service, fresh and good food, large variety and lots of salad with meal. Two people with wine, appetizer, salads, main, and desert all under 50.00.

Pros: close to Castro area, All Vegan, Friendly and fast and not expensive

Cons: A little to much Salad

AMAZINGLY AWESOME food - Edit

I was in San Francisco for 4 days/nights and I went to Herbivore at least once each day. Soooo many choices and everything is amazing. The chocolate shake is the best shake I've every had (vegan or not). The only thing better than the strawberry shake is the chocolate shake. I wish I had more time there to try every single thing on the menu but whether I was there for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a quick snack, it was all really really good.

Pros: Chocolate Shake, Strawberry Shake, Several options

Excellent Brunch! - Edit

The food was delicious and the portion sizes were large. Easily the best potatoes I've ever eaten. I had an enchilada which tasted great. It had tempeh inside. The restaurant was casual, clean, and the staff were friendly. I'd definitely recommend.

Pros: great food, prices are reasonable, good location

Cons: wish it was open later than 10pm

Good... but going downhill? - Edit

This place is AMAZING for brunch. The Vegan Frenchtoast and Tofu Scrambles are worth traveling for. But I have noticed a decline in service/food quality... lately. Even so, gimme some of that French Toast! request that they make it crispy on the outside. Soft tofu batter isn't that good :)

Pros: Brunch, Frenchtoast, Tofuscramble

Cons: Service, Everything but brunch

Good - Edit

I had a chocolate and vanilla milkshake. They would have been good, except they were made with coconut milk based ice cream, and I don't like coconut flavour. I'm very dissapointed in this overall trend toward coconut milk ice cream rather than soy ice cream, because it ends up with any flavour tasting like it should be hyphenated with coconut. But this is not herbivore's fault. The ravioli with pesto sauce was great, the sauce was like a creamy pesto sauce and it was a big portion. I also had an excellent Indonesian noodle salad with tamarind sauce, rice noodles, veggies and tofu.

Herbivore gives vegan food a bad name - Edit

Herbivore serves exactly the kind of bland veggie mush that meat-eaters might expect when they hear the phrase, "vegan food." Every time I end up eating there, I hold out hope that maybe things have improved, but no. It's always the same overcooked veggies, so-so spices, and lackluster service.

Awesome! Have the pancakes! - Edit

I was determined to have pancakes while on holiday in America and herbivore certainly delivered. I had the fruit pancakes, which came with cooked bananas, maple syrup, and fruit between each of the (3 large) pancakes. It was excellent. My husband had the lasagne with garlic bread, which I tasted and would also highly recommend. The menu is huge and varied, so you'll defintely find something you fancy. It's it's brilliant to have such choice as a vegan. The donuts (plain glazed and chocolate) were also brilliant. The staff were lovely and the place itself was really nice.

Pros: Amazing choice, Pancakes!, Good prices

Herbivore power - Edit

Let me start from the end- the dessert was not too sweet....which is a good sign. I could really taste and enjoy the carrot walnut cake, without being overwhelmed by the usual oversugary taste.
And the dinner was wonderful, just what a traveler forced to 'hunt and peck' standard menus for decent food needs.
Don't hesitate- you will be rewarded with an extensive menu to long and varied to quote- just go.
Nice touch- they are not 'purist preachers'- you can get a beer or an excellent espresso if you wish...
Enjoy, truly,
EP

Pros: Extensive Veg menu, Naturally, mildly sweet desserts, Lovely, friendly service

Bad Service, Mediocre Food - Edit

I've visited this Herbivore twice during my lunch break when I used to work down the street.

I ordered the Pad Thai, and a bottle of Wolaver's IPA. The beer is always fantastic! But nothing too special about the Pad Thai. I ordered it just to compare the taste and flavors of the Pad Thai between Herbivore and other Thai restaurants. If anything, Herbivore's lacked gusto. The service wasn't too impressive. It took a while for the check to arrive, and the server's attitude was pretty careless. I found the busboy friendlier.

How wretched was the service the second time? With the restaurant virtually empty, I sat outside. The busboy brought me my water, and after five minutes of being outside, there wasn't a server in sight so I took off.

Cons: Service lagged.

Exceeded my expectations! - Edit

My husband and I (both vegan) ordered a blueberry donut (made by Pepple's Donuts), a breakfast burrito with a side of potatoes, and a chicken sandwich with sides of green salad and macaroni salad.

I'd order any of those items again, though I might not order the donut as it was $2.50 and you can get 'em at Whole Foods for $.99.

The ambiance was very nice - high ceilings, the tables feel spaced out pretty well overall, and there's a nice patio area with six tables out back, although it was too cold to sit out there on the day we went. I like the open kitchen area.

Pros: delicious food, reasonable prices, large portions

OMG I loved this place! - Edit

The restaurant seemed to be in a young neighborhood (at least it was full of young people when we went) and was welcoming. The restaurant was busy, especially for 9PM on a Tuesday! I was starving when I got there, so I ordered the BBQ seitan "chicken" sandwich - the meal also came with potato salad and a side salad. After my first bite (of all three things) I declared this as my favorite vegan meal of the day! The potato salad was so tasty and I really liked the side salad, but the sandwich was definitely the winner! The sandwich consisted of BBQ seitan (cooked VERY well), lettuce, tomato, pickles, and vegan mayo. I don't really know how to describe how great this sandwich was, but I'm just going to say WOW for now. I think Herbivore is a must for everyone to try.

Consistent, Fresh and Delicious - Edit

Herbivore has been a good friend to all vegans in San Francisco for many years. I always feel comfortable here and i know the food is fresh, vegan and healthy. They have a vast menu and the service is accommodating. Their prices are very affordable. I love dining here and taking my friends. My non-vegan friends always find delicious food.

Pros: reasonable, fresh, delicious

Very good - Edit

Stayed a weekend in SF and visited here for breakfast twice. The first day we had a very yummy scramble. I still dream about the breakfast potatoes. The service was quick and our waiter was exceptionally friendly.

Before we left town, stopped in to pick up some doughnuts. The waitress that day was incredibly rude. We are very low-key people, so someone had obviously peed in her rice milk that day. She's the only reason I wouldn't give Herbivore 5 stars. I only had the one meal (HUGE portion) and doughnuts, but that was enough to make me want to come back.

Pros: All vegan, Doughnuts!

Cons: Hit and miss waitstaff

YUMMY!!! - Edit

My vegan husband, carnivorous mother and I traveled to SF from Atlanta this past weekend, and targeted Herbivore as one of our "go-to" restaurants this weekend (since breakfast is my husband's favorite meal of the day). We caught the bus across town (we were staying in SOMA), and were not disappointed! The French Toast was delish, with grilled bananas and plump blueberries, and the scrambled tofu platters were really tasty as well. We sampled the "green juice", which was refreshing, and left with a coconut chocolate chip cookie which made for a nice snack. All in all, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone - on our next trip we'll have to go back for dinner. Great job!!!

Pros: good variety on menu, great portions, friendly staff

Cons: can't think of any

Great Food and LARGE Portions! - Edit

My wife and I tried Herbivore whilst spending Christmas vacation in San Fran. Everything we tasted was delicious and their portions are HUGE for the amount of money you're spending. They ROCK!

Pros: Large portions, Tasty, 100% Vegan

Cons: Divisadero

My Go-To Restaurant - Edit

I feel so lucky to live 2 blocks away from Herbivore on Divisadero. As a Vegan, it's always wonderful being able to order anything off the menu. My favorite is brunch here. Their fruit pancakes (with a side of tempeh bacon), TLT (Tempeh, Lettuce and Tomato), Southwestern Scramble, Corn Cakes and crepes are all fabulous. I love their fresh juices such as the Carrot, Apple and Ginger. Other dishes I love at Herbivore include the Grilled Soy Chicken Sandwich, Soy Chicken Shawerma, Lentil Loaf with Mashed Potatoes, Penne with Creamy Marinara Sauce, Crisp Tacos Appetizer, Ravioli and Pad Thai. They also carry Black China Bakery desserts and People's Donuts. Their soups and salads are also really good. I love the back patio on a nice weekend morning for brunch. Cool, comfortable decor and great location. Restaurants like these make me even more thankful that I live in San Francisco.

Pros: All Vegan, Wide Selection, Great Patio

Fantastic - Edit

We ate here for brunch in Oct 09 and found it to be fantastic value and great service! The waitress helped us with recommendations and on portion sizes and the location and decor was impressive. Vegan milkshakes and doughnuts were great. Would go back for dinner next time. Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, excellent service, clean and tidy

Downward Spiral - Edit

My family and I have been coming here for years--first as visitors to the city and now as residents. The food and service used to be wonderful. Now, you never know what you're going to get. On our last visit, the service was TERRIBLE as was the food. My french toast was soggy, our daughter's pancakes were undercooked, and my husband's toast never arrived (after two requests). There was never a mention of why the toast didn't arrive or that it wasn't going to arrive. The cornbread muffin was dry and tasteless. (How do you mess up a corn bread muffin!!??) The service has been pitiful as of late. This is is huge disappointment as the service used to be GREAT. I'm sad to say that I will not be going here anymore. Three bad visits in a row it just too much for me. I'd rather say home, make dinner, and have all the cleanup to deal with than be disappointed by Herbivore once again.

Pros: Delicious Shakes, 100% Vegan

Cons: Terrible Service, Unpredictable Food Quality

I Like. - Edit

I'd planned on dining at Herbivore ever since I'd first started planning my trip to San Fran. I was extremely excited to eat there. The food sounded so good, and I'm always down to try any new vegan restaurant. My group and I ordered several dishes to share. I was impressed by the quality of the food. It tasted fresh, flavorful and delicious. I'll definitely swing by Herbivore again on my next visit!

Pros: Delicious Food, Great Atmosphere, Friendly Staff

WORTH THE WAIT - Edit

We travelled all the way from Australia and were very excited to go here and it DID NOT DISAPPOINT!!! The lasagne was fantastic and very filling and more than enough. The soups are to die for and the service was great. The outside dining area was gorgeous and relaxing. My hot tip... order the cup of soup and half sandwich combo only $7.95 and filling!!! YUMMMMMMMMM

Pros: quick, yummy, great atmosphere

Cons: expensive cake

One of the Finest Vegan eating places. - Edit

I was there last week, and fell in love with their food. I had the ceviche, which tasted just scrumptous. it was lime marinted oyster mushrooms, tofu, red onions, tomatoes, cucmbers, cilantro and jalepeno peppers...I thine proceeded to have the red curry char broiled vegatables with potatoes and cilantro with quinoa,,,ohhhh the taste is to die for... I then followed that up with a baked falafel, though not as good as the falafels I had in the west bank, these were baked and not deep fat fried. The service was great, and yes the waitress had to go ask the chef a few questions...overall this is my favorite Vegan resturant in Northern California.

Pros: excellent food, good value, larger servings

Cons: very casual eating place, Should use more whole wheat versus white

brunch - Edit

Their brunch is amazing! Pesto tofu scramble is unbeatable; Southwestern tofu scramble is really good too; french toast is really yummy, nice and thick, not too sweet, just right; sausage biscuits are kind of dry, but so tasty that it doesn't matter, just dip them in the gravy they come with.
Everything comes with sides (except the french toast) and are really filling.

I can't stress enough how good the vanilla shakes are.

Pros: brunch is awesome, decent prices/portions, usually good service

Cons: lunch/dinner menu is hit or miss

FABULOUS!! - Edit

I was in San Francisco for a weekend, and I visited Herbivore 3 times while I was there. I had the Savory Filled Crepes with Basil Pesto sauce, the ravioli, and took home all 4 donut flavors. Everything was fantastic, the staff is very friendly, and the atmosphere is great. This place makes me want to move to San Fran!

Pros: Creative Menu, Awesome Staff, Hip Design

Cons: Not in my city :-(

Herbivore Going Downhill - Edit

Three out of the five people in our party could not eat their meal at the Herbivore on Divisadero in San Franciso. My daughter had the Pad Thai that came without any seasoning, tofu, etc. and tasted like a soggy dish rage. She sent it back and got a very small diner salad. Even thought she told the waitress that dish was not prepared correctly and had no tofu, seasonings, etc. the waitress sill charged for the meal. My daughter's boyfriend ordered the Lentil Loaf. The Lentil Loaf was something like out of the early ages of vegetarian foods (frozen, or prepared in a cellophane wrapper) and tasted yuk. It was suppose to come with a Beet Sauce, but it came with a salsa (maybe to cover for the yuk). The "seasonal vegetable" turned out to be sautéed Chard (one of the few vegetables he could not eat - it was a shame that the waitress didn't tell us what the "seasonal vegetable was"). He was only able to eat the mash potatoes and gravy. My partner ordered the Homemade Veggie Berger and it was mediocre at best (the cook should be sent to the little Cozmic Cafe in the little California town of Placerville to find out what a modern-day Homemade Veggi Berger should taste like). All in all the meal was very disappointing. I noticed that there were very few customers; I guess the word gets out quickly. I have eaten at this restaurant many times, and each time the service and food is getting worse.

Pros: Location

Cons: Chefs, Staff, Food

Not as good as Valencia branch - Edit

I had already tried the other Herbivore on Valencia, so I came to this one to see if there were any differences. The Divisadero location is nicer and trendier, and the interior space is slightly more upscale as well. However, the service wasn't nearly as good as at Valencia. At first our waitress was attentive, but gradually seemed to lose interest, prolonging our presence for longer than we thought.

Also, the food didn't seem as good as at the Valencia location. My zataar appetizer was overly-seasoned and the bread was too chewy and hard. My gnocchi was sparse (there were maybe a dozen pieces of gnocchi, floating in a sea of tomato sauce) and not filling and definitely overpriced at $13. However, my partner's "chicken" sandwich was good, just as good as at the Valencia location. Judging from these two visits, I would have to recommend the Valencia location over this one.

Pros: Location, Ambience

Cons: Service, Some foods mediocre

good food, not so good staff - Edit

While visiting from L.A. we rushed over to get there by 2:00, when they stop serving breakfast because I read that the breakfast is better than the lunch/dinner menu. Arrived at 1:50, there were only a couple of people eating there. The hostess handed me a breakfast menu, but when I began ordering my items, the waiter interuppted me to say that breakfast was over. I told him it was before 2 and he left to go check with the cooks, and reluctantly let us order breakfast. I felt very uncomfortable by that point and didn't really enjoy my time there. However, the food was very good, so I think they should lighten up on the restrictiveness, and aim to please the customers.

Pros: nice casual atmosphere, food

Cons: wait staff

Look No Further - Edit

I eat here every single time I visit the city. I've always absolutely loved everything I've ever tried here. Some of my faves are the savory breakfast crepesand Shawarma (sp?). My husband loves their veggie burger and loaf w/potatoes and gravy. Good coffee. Delicious chocolate cupcakes, which we always get to go since we're too stuffed to enjoy them after we eat. The place always seems to be understaffed, but the servers are extremely on top of their game and always deliver great service. I can't say enough about this place -- LOVE IT!

Pros: Fabulous food, Great service, Hip and clean

Cons: Absolutely nothing

The Best a Vegan Can Get - Edit

Herbivore is a San Francisco Treat. During my short visit to the Bay Area, I packed in two visits to Herbivore. The first for dinner - amazing! Great variety, flavor, and original dishes. Dessert was also a big win - who doesn't love an oversized piece of chocolate cake!

Breakfast was just has marvelous. My vegan treats - pancakes, faken'bacon, potatoes - all sorts of treats. Lovely atmosphere, great people and fantastic food. love this place.

Pros: Orginal dishes, great flavor

Cons: 3,000 miles away from my house.

Great place was PACKED - Edit

This is an awesome vegan place! #3 on my list in SF so don't miss it! The food is fresh and flavorful. The place was short staffed when we were there so I cut them some slack. TIP: Its always best to just pay before your done eating when you don't see your waitress that often :) If I lived in SF I'd definitely eat here once a week :) Its a great place to be a regular at.

yum yum - Edit

i ate there 3 times on a 2 day trip. their lemon poppyseed "ice cream" is awesome.... and well, so is everything else i ate! occationally i catch myself dreaming of herbivore.

Pros: service, value, tasty food

Cons: it's in CA, i'm in GA

Hervivore - The Earthly Grill - Edit

Though I only ate there once it was very pleasant the waiter, our service was great, the waiter was very helpful, answered all our questions and recommended dishes to newcomers. the atmosphere is very nice too. We had the Raw Red beet and Spinach Salad with Coconut Noodle Soup.

We ate here twice - Edit

On a recent trip to San Francisco I ate here twice with my family and we enjoyed it. It was not the best restaurant ever, but a good choice for a vegan family. With such a large choice there was even something to please the omnivore. The macaroni cheese was enjoyed by the kids, although it was not the typical nutritional yeast sauce that we had expected. One plate was plenty for 2 8 year olds to share. The veggie burger was a disappointment. We enjoyed the desserts too and took cookies to go.

Pretty Good - Edit

Herbivore is great for vegans. Their is a great selection and it's priced very reasonably. I've never been let-down by a dish there.

I would recommend the fruit skewers dessert (can't recall the name). For only $4.95, it's a heck of a lot of food and it's VERY tasty!

It gets pretty busy here sometimes, but you can escape a lot of that if you dine in the garden out back.

Pros: Price

Cons: pretty standard stuff

Jack of all trades master of none? - Edit

Ok, I have only been here once, so my title may not be fair, but judging from the other reviews the food can be hit or miss. I had the mashed potatoe pie and was disapointed. I think there was supposed to be tofu in there, and crust, but all I could taste were mostly bland potatoes. The serving was also small, but acocmpnaied with a healthy potion of greens and a salad. Plus the fair price smoothie, I was content. The menu is broad and gets a vegan real excited, however I have concerns other dishes may disapoint like mine. Also, I was suprised to see table service for some reason, I wasn't expting a tip.

Pros: All vegan!, lots of fake meats!, diverse american menu

Cons: sit down service (tip), small portions vs price

Depends upon what you order... - Edit

We have been to Herbivore a number of times (both locations) and, for the most part, were very happy with the food. Whenever we go, my kids are thrilled they can order anything from the menu! However, the last time, we were less than happy. All four of us there that time felt the meal was poor. Most of the time we have gone, we've had breakfast. We'll stick to that and go elsewhere for lunch from now on. The burger smelled bad and had the look of raw meat. The burrito was good, but had an unusual spice and by the time she got to the end, it didn't taste good any longer. The macaroni and cheese was okay, but far too big. The noodles were the same. They give way too much food and charge too much. Stick to the brunch!

Pros: 100% vegan, brunch, nice variety

Cons: lunch was really bad, can be pretty slow, portions/price too big

Loved it! - Edit

I had breakfast here on a recent trip to SF, and really enjoyed it. The Southwest Scrambled Tofu was excellent and the portions are huge! My only complaint is that the guacamole was not homemade. I will definitely eat here again.

Pros: great food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: packaged guac

Herbivore - Edit

Six enthusiastic thumbs up (party of 3) for our meals at Herbivore. We had the burrito, lasagna, and avocado sandwich--all of which were fantastic. The service was prompt and friendly, and the atmosphere was cozy.

Totally yummy! - Edit

Ok, so, honestly, while working a conference in SF last month, my colleague and I couldn't wait to go to this other restaurant that will remain nameless, (but it starts with a M, and ends with a m), so when we went, the atmospere was almost scary, but what was really awful was how rude the gal at the front desk was.....like we weren't even there. So, we left. And remembered Herbivore. Fate is funny, isn't it? We found our way there and proceeded to eat ourselves silly. The food was spectacular! The chocolate cake, oh my goodness!! I wish they'd deliver to LA! As good as the food was, it was the gal who helped us that just sealed the deal. She was so nice, funny, and she 'talked' to us!! Imagine that. We had a great time with her! That (obviously) makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it? I wish I could remember her name, 'coz she deserves recognition, but I hope she'll know. Wonderful food, wonderful VEGAN food, wonderful vibe. Could you please open an Herbivore in LA? Please??!! A MUST for anyone visiting SF.

Pros: Delicious!, Delicious!, Delicious!

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Herbivore - Divisadero closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12322 times since Aug 2007.