First Review by Kimbo

Don't miss it! - Edit

This place is absolutely amazing. The food was delicious, creative, and had large portions. The spicy bean burger came with two great sauces: sweet chili sauce and some kind of vegan mayo. I love ketchup on my fries, but I didn’t end up using any because the chili sauce was so good. The lasagna was light, with layers of tomato sauce and spinach. Both came with a red cabbage side salad that was really good. The Heaven in Devon dessert is so so good with vanilla ice cream, vanilla custard, and chocolate brownies. It is huge so definitely plan on sharing. Super friendly staff and a nice atmosphere.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious food, Nice atmosphere

Beautiful food - Edit

Went here for lunch today
Fantastic vegan options! The falafel wrap was great and really good sized portions!
The Dhall was incredible and so good
To see lots of vegan options in a quirky friendly place
Will be definitely coming back.

Pros: Good portions, Well priced , Friendly staff

Cons: Slightly cramped table

Vegan food - Edit

The Vegan food is really good and the Vegan pizza is mega.The heaven in Devon is well nice. Very close to the town so easy to park.

Pros: Friendly Staff , No fried food, Lots of Vegan opps

Cons: Not all Vegan

Amazing food and great value!! - Edit

I have been here several times before and now I am vegan...I love it! The salads are so tasty! I have nearly tried everything on the menu! Would highly recommend the place, the food and the friendly staff! Go vegan and eat well!

Warm and homely - Edit

Herbies is a popular place for a reason. It provides good quality, home-made food, at reasonable prices. The food isn't fancy, but it tastes great and it comes in huge quantities!

There are so many vegan and wheat free options, including lot of desserts. My favourite meal is the mushroom and spinach lasagne, which has a vegan option. The nacho supreme is also great (but huge!) and again has a vegan option. Most of the main meals come with either a salad selection or potato wedges, depending on which you fancy, but to be honest, the meals are big enough without these, and I nearly always struggle to finish my meal, leaving no room for dessert!

If you're planning a visit, it's worth booking a table as this place is often fully booked.

Pros: Tasty food, Lots of vegan options

Cons: Often fully booked, Meals are too big, so often wasted!

Tasty homemade food - Edit

I was in Exeter for only two days/ three nights, and ate at Herbie’s three times. It was doing a brisk business at 1:30 pm on a Monday, and I received fast service. I had Spicy Beanburger with homemade vegan mayo and three salads (mixed greens, potato-gherkin and carrot-beet), £7.95 – it was on a good bun, seedy and not too large. Next day for lunch I had Jamaican sweet potato soup (without a roll, just £3.25) and the vegan version of Heaven in Devon dessert (£6.25), made with vegan ice, vanilla sauce and chocolate brownie pieces, topped with fresh strawberries. I returned for 6 pm opening (tranquil, with a handful of diners) and enjoyed the Spicy Vegetable Satay with peanut sauce and brown rice. The menu lists many starters, many items available as vegan, sharing platters, chili, satay, vegetable pie, lasagna, risotto, nut loaf, nachos, tagine, pizza, soup of the day, desserts . Drinks include organic wines and beers. There’s also a children’s menu.

Pros: good food, large menu, many vegan items

Cons: closes in the afternoon

Very Vegan Friendly - Edit

Herbies is a vegetarian restaurant that is extremely vegan friendly. The vegan options are amazing and almost everything that is just vegetarian can be made vegan. Even the smaller options are absolutely huge you will certainly not be left hungry! There are also some great deals such as the cheap lunchtime soup and roll and if you go before noon you will get a free cake with any drink. They also sell organic beers and wines and the service here could not be faulted.

Pros: Huge portions, Great deals, Very vegan friendly

Friendly and welcoming - Edit

Lovely place just off of the High Street, good selection of dishes and not the usual. I have often discovered new flavours, tastes and ideas here.

Pros: Great price, great food

Cons: Nothing to say here

Fantastic vegetarian place - Edit

Absolutely delighted with our meal here last night. I find it quite challenging to find restaurants that serve delicious vegan food with good gluten-free options, so we ventured here with an open mind.

It's a popular cafe/restaurant serving a lots of different choices for vegetarians and vegans. Soups, salads, main meals, decadent sounding desserts, hot & cold drinks and alcoholic beverages. Everything at Herbies is vegetarian and the menu is clearly labelled, highlighting options that can be made vegan or wheat-free. I had a little trouble deciding what to order :)

I enjoyed a medley of three different salads along with a super tasty rice, butternut squash & mushroom rissoto. Couldn't believe how good it all tasted! The portion was great value for money too. My husband enjoyed a vegan spinach lasagne and felt very pleased too. Five stars all around.

Some of the staff were very friendly with wonderful energy; another member of staff was less so - but all was fine. The service seemed very efficient and we were served quickly.

The energy of the place is nice, relaxed and informal and we'd be delighted to visit again.

Pros: good vegan options, wheat free options, great value and taste

Excellent vegan food and service - Edit

This is a vegetarian restaurant but the menu includes plenty of vegan choices and many vegetarian dishes can be prepared so that they suit vegans. We had vine leaves stuffed with rice served with green salad, nutburger with salad and becks beer (one of the deals of the day), falafel with tahini, and beans on toast (from the children's menu). The desert was vegan ice cream with chocolate sauce but they even had vegan chocolate brownie. The price was very reasonabe. The best thing was the friendly staff who really knew about veganism and vegan food. Will definitely recommend it to all vegans.

Pros: Plenty of vegan dishes and drinks, Delicious food at reasonable price, Friendly staff and good service

Herbies of Exeter - Edit

My girlfriend and i recently visited Herbies in Exeter, the food was very good. however the service was quick but not polished, the restaurant was clean but not polished, if you like drab colour scheme and plastic tables and no real feel good factor and just want a good vegan meal this is the place to go, i will visit again for a quick meal but i will look out for a restaurant with better ambiance..

Pros: good food, pleanty of food, good price

Cons: lacks charm, plastic tables yuk, basic waitress skills

Extremely Disappointing - Edit

I joined this website purely to express my disappointment at Herbies, that's how disappointed I am! I was intially impressed, an extensive vegan selection and pleasant decor. The food however was, in my opinion, really awful. I had the tofu and satay veg on tasca bread which was basically a mound of grated carrot and some Cauldron marinated tofu in a lot of sauce like watery mayonnaise which made the bread disgustingly soggy. The salad selection was poor - rather bland and just didn't go with the rest of the food. I didn't even clear half my plate and that has NEVER happened in a vegetarian restaurant before. My partner had a "pie" which was a few roasted veg and a bit of melted cheese on a layer of filo pastry. It was just really horrible, we both agreed. Also, it set me back £15 which, although not that much, was difficult to part with in return for such an unenjoyable experience. I really would not recommend this place but clearly this sort of food is up some people's street. I guess it's a personal thing..... The Plant Cafe on the other hand......... Go on, it's worth the walk :)

Pros: Pleasant decor, Some friendly staff (some a bit odd), Huge vegan selection

Cons: Outweigh the pros by a mile!, Horrible, uninspiring food, Bad value for money

Bad food - Edit

Myself and 3 friends visited Herbies a few months ago and we were all really disappointed with the food. The falafel was really quite bad and had a very gritty sauce covering it. The other food we ordered was just tasteless.

Pros: Location

Cons: Food, Price

Vegan friendly - Edit

Lovely place to eat and lots of vegan options to choose from. Very friendly service, always with a smile. Excellent food, great desserts and good wines too. It feels great as a vegan to have lots of choice for a change.

Pros: Vegan options, friendly service, Relaxed atmosphere

Cons: Hours of opening

Good location and good food - Edit

We made a reservation but there was lots of room when we arrived. The menu had lots of choice for vegans and the yam soup was certainly a good starter. Being from Canada, I liked the different choices of beers. The food was tasty, filling, the staff were accomodating and the place was clean; what more could one ask for. Well actually it would have been nice if it was open on a Sunday so we could have gone there a second time. The place was small and if you are young, the place would seem live lively but if you are older, it might seem noisy.

Pros: good vegan food , good taste , clean

Cons: Not open Sunday

Really quite nice. - Edit

Their vegan selection was wonderful throughout. I ordered two small dishes and was so stuffed I couldn't manage sweets! The price was reasonable, and it was easy to see why the place was packed to a slightly uncomfortable level.

The service was friendly but not amazing. I had to stop an already-walking-away waitress to ask for my drink (after she delivered the food, which was prompt even during the lunch rush). Perhaps this is overly fussy, but I was also weirded out by the fact that none of the long-haired servers had their hair up and one kept running her hands through her hair repeatedly. This IS food service...

My final tiny quibble was that I had a glance over the kids' menu, and the only vegan children's options seemed to be beans on toast, or a baked potato with plain beans -- exactly the kind of boring compromise you would try to escape by going to a specialty vegetarian restaurant.

Going to the bathroom is also a bit intimidating, with a steep, claustrophobic staircase leading to a depressingly lit cubbyhole.

But still; the food I had was so tasty and filling for the price that Herbie's still gets 4/5 for me.

Pros: value for money, thoughtful, extensive vegan menu, prompt food service

Cons: less than perfectly professional service, bathroom, lack of vegan kids' options

Good Value - Good Grub - Edit

I have been going to Herbies for years and absolutely love this place! The selection of vegan food is fantastic (starters, mains, desserts). The atmosphere inside is relaxed, the staff are friendly, and the food is good value for money. Advisable to book a table on Friday & Saturday nights, Saturday lunchtime is usually busy too.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, good value, Good wines & beers

Cons: toilet downstairs

delicious!!! - Edit

I have been to herbies many times and it is so worth the visit! The food is great and there are plenty of choices for vegans. Good prices, really nice atmosphere.

Pros: great choices for vegans, really nice food

Stuffed to the gills! - Edit

Is that the right review title for a vegan website?! Oh well, whatever, stuffed to the gills described how I felt after eating at Herbies. I ate there a couple of weeks ago after a trip to the cinema. The food was great: I had a vegetable rice dish which came with three salads followed by the legendary sticky toffee pudding. What can I say? The main meal was well cooked and well seasoned and the salads gave a good taste/texture counterpoint to the carbohydrates - vinegary, sweet and crispy, However, the star of the show was definitely the sticky toffee pud which was exactly as it should be; sweet, stodgy and covered in warm tofee - stick to the ribs style!

The service was lovely, with just the right balance between friendliness and efficiency. Herbies itself is a comfy, bohemian cubby hole which combines the usual wooden floors and fair trade interiors with a slighlty arty feel. There was a good mixture of families, children, students and professional types in there, so they must be doing something right! This was my first visit and I'll certainly be back. A meal for two (without alcohol) came to around £22.00 and it was worth every penny.

I waddled out of the door....

Pros: good service, comfortable interior, great food and large portions

Great Puddings - Edit

Just had to write to update the reviews which are all in 2006. Visited last weekend and the food was excellent and plentiful, with lots of vegan options. Great vegan choice, especially the puddings - I had sticky toffee and vegan custard. Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, Good atmosphere, Friendly staff

Return to Exeter Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Herbies closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5650 times since Aug 2007.