Henderson's Shop and Salad Table

• Health Store
Contact 0131-2252131

94 Hanover Street (at short walk from main train station, north of Princes Street), Edinburgh, Scotland, EH2 1DR

The Henderson's business includes a shop and deli, 2 vegetarian restaurants, and art gallery. The shop sells local and organic fruit and vegetables alongside products from Henderson's own artisan bakery, wines and beers, fair trade teas and coffees, and ready meals. Has Indoor seating and a contemporary art gallery at the back of the building.

First Review by Stevie

Loved it! - Edit

I have been eating at the salad table!
It is a busy place so don't expect to be in a calm environment if you go there at lunch time as I did, but it's worth going for the good food...Vegan haggis was really tasty, and as a dessert, fresh juice and vegan caramel cupcake were so good! Yummy!

Pros: Location, Various options, Tasty!

Cons: Slightly expensive

Best food I've ever had - Edit

The best food I've ever eaten in my entire life. Henderson's is a must if you are in Edinburgh. It's purely vegetarian, but don't let that put you off; even if you're not vegetarian I think you'll love it. The food is second to none. It's a Scottish institution and is world renowned. A deli/bakery and canteen style restaurant during the day, Henderson's on Hanover Street converts to a table service restaurant after 5pm. They also have a Bistro on Thistle Street. I visited the Hanover Street restaurant on Wednesday evening. We pre-booked a table and I'm glad we did as it was very busy. The main restaurant area was booked out for a private party, however we managed to get a table in the more relaxed canteen style area. It definitely has a super relaxed cafe vibe and could benefit from dimmed lighting and/or candles in the evening. Some music would be good as well to enhance the atmosphere. We didn't mind though - our visit was purely to sample the world famous food.
My two dining companions started with red pepper hummus, flatbreads & pickled veg. I opted for vegetarian haggis with oat cakes & whisky cream sauce. My companions both went for mains of thai nut burgers, with salad, potato wedges & lime coconut cream. I choose the polenta tower main (polenta cake, portobello mushrooms, goats cheese, olive tapenade, roast cherry tomatoes, salsa, green peppers and rocket leaves). Desserts consisted of cherry pie with soya ice cream and a creme brûlée. There's a great wine and beer list with lots of organic options. I've eaten in michelin star restaurants which haven't served food as good as Henderson's does. The food here is delectable. Don't expect it to be cheap though just because it's vegetarian (I noticed some other reviews complained about the cost). Prices are what you would pay in any restaurant, however you will get supreme, fine, delicious, top quality food here. The greatest grub ever! I wish there was a Henderson's in Belfast...

Okay - Edit

As an Edinburgh vegan; Henderson's is very- meh.
It's central and reliable- but I'd never get excited to go here.
They don't seem to make much effort for vegans, all their vegan mains tend to be things that are already vegan and not that exciting. For example soups, curry's etc. Although the veggie haggis is a delightful novelty! They do however have a good couple of vegan deserts.
I've been going here since I was a child and I don't think the menu has ever changed.
For some reason I always find the customers incredibly rude and snobby here. Feel sorry for the staff.
A new menu with more vegan options would be wonderful!

Pros: Location

Cons: Lack of vegan choice, Expensive , Rude Customers

busy but chilled - Edit

I often come to the shop for lunch. I have a love of the shop its always a bit busy, i love the big window and its a good place to sit and people watch.
Great selection of lunch time nibbles, variety of sandwiches which about one third are vegan. Usually about five or six salads to choose from, and usually baked spuds. A selection of hot foods, lasagne, burgers, pakora etc etc. Lots of vegan snacks, wine and cakes.

Henderson also make a great selection of breads and can be found in other shops such as real foods. a decent selection of wine and beers as well.

just a quick update to say after recent visit they have update their labelling for vegan/veggie salads. about 80% were vegan and they have also improved labelling for their hot snacks and its a big improvement.

I had a thai nut burger, you select your own bread roll and henderson's bread is always tip top. it was made on the premises and was really tasty leaving a nice taste in my mouth for some time.

i always go to the shop if there is space. only three tables but i love being nosey out the big window.

Pros: healthy, if you want, good selection, nice staff

Great place in Edinburgh - Edit

This small deli is part of a larger complex called "Henderson's", it's housed in the same room as the shop, and next to it there are a bistro and posher restaurant.
Seating is very limited, but they also offer take away, and during the several visits I paid here, there was always a seat available. It's all vegetarian, although not everything is vegan, and everything is clearly marked, so it is very easy to shop for vegan food. There is also raw and gluten-free food.
The menu seems to change, but I mainly saw veggie patties, which you can order just with salad or as a burger, other bakery goods (usually with cheese), and a choice of vegan cakes. You can also have vegan drinks such as soya hot chocolate. Everything I had was delicious!
Staff were always very friendly and although it's very small and therefore sometimes crowded, I liked it very much and just enjoyed the friendly atmosphere.
It does not have its own bathrooms, but you can use the ones of the restaurant next door.

I must say that I would appreciate a larger vegan choice in the shop, most of the stuff sold here contains eggs or cheese. I was happy, though, to find several spreads and also different kinds of soy milk. There were also a few vegan meals that you can heat up in an oven or microwave, for example a vegan stew.
They also bake their own organic bread and sell it in the shop.
I found the prices ok, for example I paid £1,90 for a can of self-made vegan spread).

Pros: Good vegan choice in deli, Friendly atmosphere, Everything clearly marked

Cons: Small, Shop could have more vegan choices

Great food, a bit pricey - Edit

I ate at the Henderson's restaurant/café rather than the bistro. This place was great, if a bit pricey. Had a side salad and the lentil dahl spicy soup, which was delicious. Would have liked to return but alas, never found the time.

Pros: location, vegan options available

Cons: bit expensive, ok service, busy

Not so good - Edit

It's a buffet style vegetarian place with a lot of people and a few vegan dishes. Spanish casserole with rice wasn't tasty and i can't recommend it. You will find only one or two vegan salads, the others are with mayo, cheese or eggs. It's not about vegan. Henderson's bistro is much better

Handy little shop for vegan bits - Edit

This is a great little shop although I only go there occasionally. There's always a good range of vegan foods, and it's perfect for picking up a snack during the day if you're in this part of town.

Pros: Friendly staff, Vegan options, Good food

Cons: Small in size, Limited options

Friendly service, expansive menu - Edit

Henderson's Deli is above Henderson's Restaurant, just around the corner from Henderson's Bistro. The Deli has a bunch of takeaway food, which really saved us when we needed food for the plane ride home the next day. We got a bunch of pasties, wraps, and sandwiches and some desserts, and we had lots of food for our long journey home.

Henderson's Restaurant is a more casual experience, but I found the service much friendlier and the menu more expansive. You order at the bar, then find a seat. Half of the desserts were vegan, which is lovely, and the couple we had were very good - especially the cherry pie!

Pros: vegan cherry pie!, a lot of vegan desserts, takeaway available

Very small shop but central - Edit

My review only refers to the shop. It is very small, so if you need to do some serious grocery shopping, go the Real Foods instead. Otherwise, it's of course great to get some wholefoods in this central location.

Pros: central location

Cons: very small

Shop takeaway food good - Edit

Purchased things from the shop upstairs to take away on long train journey, and they were really lovely! A nice tabbouleh salad, fresh bread roll, spicy bean burger and, the best for me, a fabulous raw chocolate marbled cheesecake thing that was vegan! A little pricey but a treat. Only 10mins walk from the train station.

Pros: vegan choice, fresh food

Cons: little expensive?

Very nice food and music. - Edit

I ate here in January 2011 with my partner, during a city break to Edinburgh. We ate in the evening, in the restaurant downstairs at 94 Hanover St. For me, it was win-win as they offered veggie food and live jazz.
I chose a pasta dish with spicy aubergine, and it was very tasty, well presented, and sizeable. It was a bit pricey though, at nearly £10 (though the whole city is ridiculously expensive). As mentioned below, the dish had plenty of grated Parmesan on it, which could worry some veggies. I have seen this cheese available rennet-free, so perhaps the stuff on my meal was OK - I didn't enquire. Claire's dish of stuffed aubergine was also very tasty, but not quite so filling.
I would suggest to the restaurant that they buy some nicer cutlery. Only a small point, I know, but the poundland knives and forks let down the presentation a bit.
After the meal, we bought a bottle of white wine (very tatsy) and sat and enjoyed the live (solo) piano for a while. They had an excellent pianist playing some laid-back jazzy numbers - nice.
Absolutely recommended.

Pros: Great food, Great music

Cons: Pricey, Poundland cutlery

A tale of two veggies - Edit

Downstairs is the salad bar, a cavernous vegetarian buffet paradise with lots of good quality hot and cold meals (at high prices). Upstairs is what I would go for. It's mainly a vegetarian and vegan food store with fresh hot and cold meals, breads, fruit and veg, hot and cold drinks, groceries and snacks that can be consumed on the premises on the nice high chairs at the front overlooking the street. Great to chill, read a paper and people watch. They sell an extensive range of their own products such as sos-mix rolls, pasties, humous, dips etc that you will also find sold in other health food stores around Edinburgh.

Pros: plenty of choice, snacks

Cons: expensive downstairs

Wholefood - Edit

This place isnt really my thing.. The food's not very inventive, and pretty expensive, and lacking in atmosphere..
I've also had really rude service (unprovoked) a couple of times before from staff in the restaurant.

Having said that, the staff upstairs are much nicer (for some reason), and the pasties and bread from the shop upstairs are really fantastic. Also, the vegan cherry pie is absolutely divine. But I prefer to takeaway ;)

Pros: vegan cherry pie, Tasty vegan pasties, Great bread in the shop

Cons: Atmosphere downstairs, Expensive for a full meal, Uninteresting main dishes

A major complex! This is the the front shop and.. - Edit

The first thing you'll notice is the shop, its above ground and has an awesome selection of take away items, but also a deli where they'll heat them up for you or prepare other take away items. There are about 6 bar stools where you can eat in for a slightly increased rate. Don't miss the soy icecream in the freezer sections with the built in spoons. The Salad Table is below ground just to the right. There are huge lines at night, especially during festivals! They move pretty quickly, though. Most of the stuff is pretty oily, but if you can't get a table at the Bistro and don't want a quick bite from the Shop, this is a nice middle of the road option! Cool to have 3 options in one!

Pros: take away items at the shop, vegan ice cream

Cons: oily

Vegan haggis! Yum! - Edit

This is a great place to eat. I ate at the bistro twice and the restaurant once. The menu is vegan friendly (I recommend the vegan haggis!) and there is even a delicious vegan cherry pie! (No soy icecream. :( )

The only thing lacking is service. The waitress upstairs has an incredible attitude problem and acted like we were a nuisance and not paying her wages. And in the restaurant we had to clear our own table after dinner so we had room for our desserts.

Happy eating experience - Edit

My mum and I had very good meals here. In our 2 day-stay in Edinburgh, we ate three times there. Salad bar was a little boring, but hot food menu was fabulous, it took quite a long time to decide what to order. the only thing I missed was cooked vegetables (I do not eat raw vegetables). Very good place to eat for vegetarian/vegans with nice atmosphere and friendly staff.

Pros: good food, reasonable price, friendly staff

Quick and healthy - Edit

I had a wonderful experience at Henderson's Salad Table. The Henderson's building has three dining establishments-- a fancy restaurant on the ground floor (the bistro, listed separately), the Salad Table in the basement, and the shop on the ground floor.

The Salad Table restaurant is cafeteria-style: you order and get a tray and pay at the end of the line. They have a variety of fruit, veg, pasta, and some salads with mayo that you can combine to make a full meal plate. They also have vegan (and gluten-free) soups that come with bread. Both times I ordered the soup, as it's reasonably priced and a full meal (around 3.5 pounds). They have lovely-sounding entrees, but those are much more expensive (around 9 pounds). Most of their yummy looking desserts ARE vegan, but are not marked so. Be sure to ask. Not everyone working there will know what is vegan, but the older man always does (I think he might be the owner). All of their breads are always vegan, they told me.

The true delight, which I only managed to get to once, is their shop, open 9 - 5. They have a wide variety of vegan sandwiches with unique combinations, like apricot pate and baba ganoush, for 2.30 pounds. They also have a deli case full of wonderful vegan creations-- lots of indian food, lentil and spinach balls the size of a fist, and a vegan spring roll the size of a burrito (for 2 pounds). They also have a wide variety of prepackaged dessert bars with delightful combinations, like ginger and coconut, almost all of which are vegan and clearly remarked.

I highly recommend getting to the shop if you can, but the salad table as a close second (and perhaps a bit healthier-- less fried).

Pros: always vegan options, reasonable prices, quick

Cons: not all vegan foods are marked as such

I don't 'get' this place - Edit

Henderson's has plenty of fans, but it leaves me cold. The portions are small, and it is stuck in some kind of 70s timewarp, selling things like grated carrot and cheese salad. There is little on offer for vegans, [edited by HC Staff -see terms].

Pros: location, long-established

Cons: hardly any vegan food, very old fashioned, poor value

Henderson's Shop & Salad Table, Edinburgh - Edit

The big winner for this place is location, location, location, so close to Princes St. Always vegan options available. Food is decent enough but not the cheapest.

Pros: Location, vegan options, tasty

Cons: Not the cheapest

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Henderson's Shop and Salad Table closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2448 times since Aug 2007.