Henderson's Restaurant

Contact 01312252605

94 Hanover St, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH2 1DR

The Henderson's business includes vegetarian restaurants, a shop and deli, and art gallery. This location serves contemporary vegetarian cuisine, wherever possible using local, seasonal, and organic ingredients. Juices, beer and wine, snacks, meals, and desserts. Short walk from main train station, north of Princes St. Reported its bistro on Thistle St switched to being all-vegan in 2015. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, Catering, Scottish

First Review by onejamie

Great food! - Edit

There is a lot of vegan options and it was hard to to decide what to get. In the end I had 2 salads - the quinoa veg one with vegan mayo and the beet and carrot one and I also had the chickpea and aubergine curry with brown rice. I also had the choclate nut cake which was delicious. All the food was amazing and I was stuffed after. It's a cute small restoraunt and the staff is very friendly and the service was fast.

Pros: amazing food, fast service, a wide range of options

Cons: none

lots of good healthy options - Edit

i decided up upgrade the restaurant to five cows after my most recent visit.
A group of six stuffed ourselves with salads and cake. i visited at lunch three adults and three kids, and generally anytone wity kids knows how hard it can be sometimes. the advantage here is there is a big selection of salads, as well as a variety of hot dishes, if kids are fussy they should find something they will like easily. The children with us aged from six to fifteen finished all their food and it was great knowing how much veg they ate compared to other places you can go to.
the salads availabe were about 80% vegan and there was a decent selection, offering varied veg and pulses with a good variety of flavours. we follwed up with deserts all of which were tasty and fresh.
as the only vegan in the group i have to say my group was a mixture of veggies and carnivores and none of them realised the majority of their food was vegan. A visit to the bigger Henderson is worth it but i know most vegans would go to the bistro as it's totally vegan. i really think this is a fantastic lunch option where you can leave stuffed, but in a healthy way. there really isn't enough places offering as healthy an option as Hendersons.
i know in previous reviews a lot of people talk about it as expensive, it isn't really cheap. I do know that there is an emphasis of organic food where possible and this really isnt cheap, but you get what you pay for and i think although the food can be a little pricey, i think it offers good value.
Henderson is an institution in Edinburgh and even though it's a good size, sometimes its hard to get a seat at lunchtime, so it is doing something right.

Updated from previous review on 2015-01-08

Pros: healthy, staff & location, child friendly

Great vegan restaurant! - Edit

Located in Edinburgh's New Town, Henderson's restaurant offers a big variety of vegan dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We were here for lunch and among others, tried the vegan version of the Scottish Haggies. My friend had the Tofu Teriyaki. Both were awesome!
The staff was always very friendly and answered our questions.
Prices are ok compared to the rest of the city. We had 2 starters, one main each, 2 desserts and a pint each: that made 20£ each.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-04

Pros: Everything's vegan and organic, Big variety, Delicious

Cons: Prices

a good find - Edit

Hendersons has a great menu with varying options for just about anyone. My boyfriend loved his haggis and mash, meanwhile I thoroughly enjoyed Thai noodles (I wasn't kidding about that varied menu!). The food was really nice and the atmosphere was too.
I think the only slight downside is that it's quite pricey at around £13 per main, so it would definitely be a treat for us to go here.

Excellent compromise when the bistro is full! - Edit

I ate at Henderson's after being turned away from their vegan bistro around the corner as it was too full.
Despite being a very different layout to the bistro, with a buffet-style feel, I was really impressed with the quality of the food!
The vegan bean burger was lovely - I especially loved the massive potato wedges that accompanied it! There is a brilliant choice of vegan cakes, tempting me to try the chocolate cake and cherry pie - both of which being delectable!
Despite still being second-choice to Henderson's vegan bistro, I'll definitely visit again!

Pros: Many vegan options (including cake)!

Cons: Doesn't quite top Henderson's vegan bistro around

Fabulous Vegan Restaurant - Edit

Hendersons vegan restaurant, is just round the corner from their shop and deli and has great vegan dishes on the menu.

We chose an Emiliana Organic Vineyards Adobe Sauvignon Blanc with starters of grilled polenta wedges with sweet chilli dip and fig and olive tapenade with pine nuts, apple chutney and oatcakes, both were very tasty dishes.

Mains were spiralised squash and courgette zoodles, with dukkah and curried coconut sauce and tofu teriyaki, with coconut brown rice, greens beans and pineapple salsa. The dishes were well presented, using fresh ingredients and very tasty.

We shared dessert, a lemon and thyme cheesecake, with coconut whipped cream, a perfect, light tasty finish to our dinner. Highly recommended.

Pros: Fully vegan food and drinks, Cosy and welcoming

Very Nice Bistro - Edit

The foods is delicious no matter what you order. The staff are friendly and helpful. The environment is warm and spacious. This is a lovely place to eat.

Pros: Delicious Food with Large Selection, Warm Environment and Helpful Staff, Reasonable Prices

Just Go To Their Bistro - Edit

Seriously it's just around the corner and much better.

The Henderson's Restaurant just has never worked for us. We've been a few times, and not every dish we've ordered has been bad, but none have been really good.
I have been served amongst other disappointing things, the worst panna cotta I've ever eaten. It was grainy and tasted entirely of sugar. Vegan panna cotta doesn't deserve to be abused like that when it could be so much more.
I also had bad luck with a banoffee pudding that again, was ridiculously sweet and not much else. The two of us couldn't finish it between us, despite it being relatively small. We left with sugar headaches and three quarters of the pudding still left untouched.

The staff has also been consistently neglectful and surly.

That said, we haven't tried everything on the menu and I'm sure there are some hits on there that we haven't tried, the beer selection is good, and the atmosphere is really nice. During all of our visits we've been treated to live music, usually really nice jazz piano.

Pros: Very nice atmosphere, All vegetarian, which is lovely, Good beer

Cons: Sad desserts, Miserable staff, Inconsistent food

Great Place! - Edit

What's not to live about hendersons? Massive salad plates with loads of vegan options, yummy mains, vegan chocolate cake and a maze of seating in an underground resturant. Have eaten here more times than I can count!

Good stuff but crowdy - Edit

Nice people, good vegan food, large assortment, but not high standard food (Beans-burger a bit unseasoned).
Many people in a small, long room, so a bit loud, crowdy and warm...

Pros: Variety, good standard, filling

Cons: not a cosy restaurant, no high standard

Consistently excellent - Edit

I used to go to this place frequently when I saw a student in Edinburgh, and went back for a visit last October. It as just as good as I remembered! I had the haggis, which was really delicious, especially the gravy. My partner had the Thai nut burger, and said it was the best burger he's ever had - high praise indeed! For dessert, we both had the chocolate-nut cake and it was lovely, really dense and intense. This places has deservedly gone from strength to strength, and has plenty of good vegan options. One of my favourite places to visit.

Pros: Great food, Excellent vegan options

Keeping up with the times - Edit

Hendersons is an institution that has been going for decades and in many ways is very good and an oasis from the prevailing culture of flesh eating. Edinburgh is ill served for vegetarians and mostly hopeless for vegans. Hendersons is somewhat old fashioned in its outlook and caters for vegans with a slight edge of reluctance. They rarely vary their very limited vegan puddings from one decade to the next (cherry pie and fresh fruit salad). Oddly they have taken to refusing to label their readymade sandwiches in their shop to distinguish vegetarian from vegan. It is very definitely a vegetarian establishment that caters for vegans rather than the other way about. How long will it be before Edinburgh catches up with Glasgow?

Pros: Dedicated vegetarian establishment, Caters for vegans, Well run

Cons: Vegan offer could be sharpened, Established formula changes little

Great for lunch - Edit

I went to try this place for lunch on a monday which of course was busy then catering to the lunch crowd but was able to get a very reasonably priced lunch offer. The restaurant/bistro works a bit like a buffet place, which is nice so you get to see the different food options before making a decision. As this is a vegetarian/vegan restaurant everything is nicely labelled if it is vegan, which I found helpful. I was also thrilled to see the big selection of (vegan) dessert options like decadent a chocolate cake as well as nice dessert bars. The staff is also very nice and helpful with any questions. A great place for lunch!

Pros: Great selection of vegan dishes, wonderful desserts, Pricing ok

Cons: can get crowded

Best Vegan Option In Town - Edit

I like coming here. Some good varied choices for vegans and one of the better menus for coeliacs to keep my partner happy.

Pros: Cosy Venue, Friendly Staff, Good Food

Cons: Not Especially Cheap

Several vegan options in a trendy veg' restaurant - Edit

My first try here was on evening without any reservation and, of course, the restaurant was completely full and I didn't have the opportunity to eat. But I've been successful for lunch yesterday! (Even for lunch, I recommend to book a table since the place is small and famous.)

I took the "awesomely vegan" nachos as a starter and it was delicious. The guacamole was creamy, the sauce was spicy and tasty. My main dish was the vegan haggis which, I think, was my preferred dish here. It seems small but is finally correct in terms of size and its taste was great! Very balanced with the sauce. I was very hungry that day so I ordered a second main dish that was the "thai nut" vegan burger with extra caramelised onions. The bread and the side vegetables were good but I find the steak a bit dry, and there was only a little vegan mayo with it. It definitely deserves more sauce and being more soft. As a drink, I took the organic pear cider which is suitable for vegans.

I paid 26 pounds for this lunch which is a bit pricey but not unfair since I was completely full after. Otherwise, the place is very cute and the staff really friendly.

Pros: numerous vegan options, organic and seasonable, friendly staff, nice place

Cons: burgers lack sauces, a little pricey

First visit - Edit

Called in for lunch on a Sunday when we were in the City with some time to spare. Lucky to get a table as others arriving later were turned away. Friendly service, good food and reasonable prices

Pros: Location, Food quality, Service

Cons: Space limited

lovely vegan / gluten free good. - Edit

Nice bistro. Staff friendly and welcoming.

Vegan and gluten free when requested.

First time we had been and we loved it. A relaxed casual atmosphere, with a fantastic menu.

The food was delicious! I wish I could cook that well. Good sizes. The lemon drizzle cake is to die for.

I will definitely be going their again.

Great food, smallish portions - Edit

The food here was lovely, the portions were a little on the small side for the price but I would certainly go back.
Staff were lovely

Pros: Great selection, Staff, Great desserts

Cons: Portion size

Looking forward to lunch - Edit

I am no longer a vegetarian but used to love eating at Hendersons and decided to try it again recently but although the food looked great it was rather expensive and portions we were given were tiny when others around the restaurant appeared double in size. Very inconsistent across diners. I could not eat the soups on offer, lentil or mushroom as allergic to both - asked for sweet potato soup which was on offer in the Hendersons deli shop upstairs but they refused to provide. Decided not to eat just watched my husband eat his. Disappointed.

Pros: fresh healthy food, informal eating, quick to serve

Cons: can be expensive, portions vary considerably , shabby decor needs updated

Not as good as expected - Edit

Considering I'd read fantastic reviews and an article which stated it being one of the, if not THE, best vegan restaurant in Edinburgh, I was disappointed.
The selection was not huge, and the haggis I had was over-spiced and salty. I also thought it needed some veg on the side. It was fairly pricey for what I got, too, I thought. The atmosphere also seemed rushed, and I felt the food was just slopped onto my plate without much care.
On the plus side, the chocolate cake I had was totally delicious and decadent - you got a huge slice plus soy cream too!

Pros: Fully Vegetarian/Vegan, Fair selection of food, Great cake!

Cons: A tad expensive, Food quality not excellent, Average atmosphere & decor

Yummy vegetarian and vegan dishes - Edit

I went to Henderson's for the first time last week and I was surprised. The prices are not high at all (about 10£ for dinner), everything is organic, they cook seasonal food and at least the dish I had was just incredibly good! They offer only about 6 different dishes every day, but this is positive because they need to do this if they want to cook fresh ;) THe choice is still big enough and there is something for everyone. I had vegan Crepes, with veg fillings and a wonderful creamy sauce!
It is very nice inside and I fellt comfy just after we arrived. A place with a lot of character :)

Pros: Seasonal, Delicious and interesting vegan dishes, Friendly staff

Cons: No place to sit outside

Great place to eat - Edit

I've been to Henderson's a few times both as a vegetarian and after I made the transition to vegan. I would recommend it for both vegetarians and vegans. There are always at least a couple of options for vegans, including desserts.

Food glorious food - Edit

We went to the Bistro a couple of weeks ago without knowing its reputation. We've always enjoyed good vegetarian food Hendersons didn't disappoint us. I had the most fantastic Mushroom and Jerusalem Artichoke soup. My partner had the chilli bean mezze which was lovely too. We bumped into some friends who were also visiting Edinburgh and recommended it to them. They did and said it was great too. The Bistro staff were welcoming and helpful and I'd recommend a visit.

Very tasty vegan food - Edit

I came here over Christmas/New Year and had a wonderful meal. I had the Mezze which was very tasty and filling. I love the quality of the food and the variety of vegan options, as well as how clearly everything is marked on the menu.

Pros: Good quality food, Lots of vegan options

Judge it yourself - Edit

I visited here with a group of friends following recommendations both online and in person. Out of the 8 people that I visited with no one was blown away. Granted the food was tasty but the welcome by the staff and environment was a let down that dampened the experience. Sadly I wouldn't venture back in a hurry.

I think with some improvements it could be good however and I hope that happens.

Pros: Tasty food, Value, location

Cons: cleanliness, welcome from staff, vibe

jo_anna I totally agree.

We weren't given a happy "hello" when we first walked into the bistro downstairs looking for the restaurant whose entrance is around the corner.

After journeying upstairs, the waitress who enjoys staring you down, joked that I should have my photo on the wall for being a 20-year vegetarian/vegan when she asked if I had an allergy when I specified vegan over vegetarian food.

Too, my non-veggie husband had the Hungarian burger and left hungry looking for another place to eat. He wanted more of a main course, not filling up on desserts.

Food was just OK. Won't be back.

A nicer, sit-down, cafe experience - Edit

Each of Henderson's many locations is different. The Bistro is definitely more of a nicer, sit-down, cafe experience. The service both times we were there was OK, which is what I so often find in vegetarian and vegan restaurants: sub-par compared to non-vegan restaurants. One of the things Henderson's is known for is their vegan haggis (with clapshot on top and a wine gravy below), which was fantastic! Better service would have made it a great experience.

Pros: vegan haggis

Cons: service OK

Good food, reasonably priced - Edit

We went there for lunch and had a good and filling meal for a reasonable price. They had several vegan options in their rather small menu. Service was very nice. The only drawback was that the place is very small and I found it rather crowded.

Pros: good food, reasonable prices

Cons: small/crowded

Living on Reputation - Edit

A nicely located gastro-bistro type place just round the corner but physically linked to the main Hendersons emporiums on Hanover Street. This is the posh 'dining' arm of the brand and it does it quite well. On our first visit in 2007 we had a stylish lunch consisting of mezze and tapas as it was too early for main courses. The vegan options were clearly marked and abundant and overall the experience was decent. Our 2nd visit on 30 July 2012 was disappointing due to staff with delusions of granduer, overpriced expensive bland food and a mandatory 10% service charge. The place is also a bit run down and the toilets haven't been touched up for years. With places like David Bann and Kalpna as well as other excellent veg friendly establishments around it's difficult to justify ever coming back here again. In fact we wont be.

Pros: location

Cons: staff, bland food , mandatory service charge

Great food, good vegan choices, reasonably priced. - Edit

We went here for Sunday lunch and were both delighted with our choices. There were several options for vegans and I have a tasty curry followed by a delicious cherry pie and soya cream, my vegetarian husband had a quiche which he said was very tasty. This isn't 'fine dining' but good, honest, veggie food at a good price. Recommended.

Pros: Good vegan options, Reaqsonably priced

Nice place, good food - Edit

Nice relaxed atmosphere with a good selection of foods at decent prices. Friendly staff and comfortable seating. What more do you want : )

Pros: good food, decent prices, nice atmosphere

Great Food - Edit

This is an excellent restaurant for veggies and vegans. The food was well presented and tasty, good sized portions and filling. Perfect for a post race lunch. I would recommend eating at Henderson's Bistro.

Contemporary vegetarian cuisine? - Edit

I have eaten in many vegetarian/vegan establishments and never have I been more disappointed than I am with Henderson's. There is nothing contemporary about their menu. It harkens back to the days of Moosewood Restaurant. Who wants to return to that? Over-cooked, under-flavoured over-priced 70's cuisine. Sloppy salads, dry entrees, boring desserts. For the same price you can have a five star meal at Candle 79 in New York City. Stick to places like the Mosque Kitchen, The Empire Cafe, Jordan Valley. Save your money and enjoy better food.

Enjoyable visit - Edit

Visited on a Sunday evening, and Henderson's was busy, but the service was prompt and really friendly.
About a third of the menu was suitable for vegans. We both opted for a chunky veg soup with bread to start. It was fresh and tasty.
For mains, we both had home made haggis, root veg mash and onion gravy. The food was good and filling, although the haggis could've used a bit more flavour.
We were too full for dessert, but the cakes we saw going past looked great. This was simple, nice food that felt like value for money, and we'd deff come back again.

Pros: Good food., Excellent service., Nice atmosphere.

Pretty good all round - Edit

Update - Review of the Restaurant for 24th June (the downstairs bit below the shop). Ate here during a long change of train connections. There were two hot main vegan options (bean chilli, or the haggis & clapshot), and only 1 of 4 of the hot light lunches that were vegan. About half the salads were vegan. As it was early-ish I went for a 3-salad option and they were all nice, and, a dessert (choice of cherry pie, or a raspberry, rhubarb, ginger cakey-thing which was worth leaving room for). Shame none of the 'light savouries' eg the pizza, potato croquette and something else, weren't vegan. I think both soups were vegan.
Agree with the other recent review that Hendersons food is nice, but often it's things I could do myself. Service was just right.

May
Ate at the Bistro on our first night in Edinburgh and wasn't disappointed. Reasonable choice of vegan dishes, although only one vegan dessert (a cherry pie.) Learned that 'clapshot' is mashed tatties & neaps (potatoes and turnips/swedes). Service was attentive and friendly and cosy feel to the small bistro. Nothing 'out of this world' about the food or the place but a good place to go none the less.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 28, 2011

Pros: Tasty, average prices

Cons: few vegan desserts

Disappointing for vegans. - Edit

This is a review for the restaurant not bistro as no separate entry. Of the dozen or so main courses on offer only 2 marked vegan - both were veg with white rice (one in balti sauce, one in satay sauce). So no complex carbs (would at least expect wholemeal rice in a healthy eating place) and no protein at all (no tofu, seitan, or even beans or nuts). Waitress also suggested they could do the risotto with peas in a blue cheese sauce as vegan by not adding the sauce. So that's another plate of rice and veg on offer then! Very poor. Veggie had the lasagne which was good but again most pubs do a veggie lasagne so why wouldn't Hendersons be more creative? Desserts were the same story - great range for veggies (the banoffee pie was excellent) but only one for vegans - a cherry pie which again you can easily make at home and was on offer several days in a row. Hendersons needs to up its game for vegans, particularly with the amazing choice in Glasgow at Mono/Stereo/78 - they just need to review their menus and come up with some variety. Henderson's biggest competition is places such as the amazing Indian Cavalry Club (with a vast array of veggie/vegan dishes) and the good Thai restaurants in the city. Whilst the food was well presented some thought needs to go into delivering the healthy eating message with more vegan options and less reliance on cheese for the veggie options.

Pros: portions good size, cheap, good wine list

Cons: lack of vegan choice, not overly healthy as claimed, waiting staff not that friendly

Well worth a visit - Edit

We visited Henderson's Bistro early on a Friday evening and found the restaurant about half full. The vibe and decor are cafe style and there is a relaxed feel about the place. We decided to share the mezze for starters, which comes with a choice of two pates. We choose the baba ganoush and hummus both of which were served in deep pots, so there was plenty to go around for two people. Everything else in the mezze was very tasty including the warm falafels, although the bread that came with it was a bit disappointing.
For mains I chose the vegetarian haggis with clapshot and my partner chose the quiche. The haggis itself was spicy which personally I like. It was also quite filling but the clapshot was not anything special. There were no complaints from the other side of the table, so I assume the quiche was pretty good as well.
For dessert we shared the 3 cakes with chocolate fondue, which again was very nice if you have a sweet tooth. The choice of alcohol was impressive as well, especially the Scottish bottled stout and the service was very good as well. The total cost for a mezze, bread, two mains, one dessert and three drinks came to under £40, so I think good value overall.

Pros: Good choice of food, Good service, Nice vibe

Cons: Toliets need updating

Great vibe but watch out for the Parmesan - Edit

Visited vegetarian Henderson's after spotting it in a tourist brochure whilst holidaying in Edinburgh. Henderson's consists of a shop (selling drinks, bread, patisseries and some convenience food), bistro, and restaurant; it was the latter my partner and I visited in the evening. There is also an art gallery around the back but this wasn't open in the evening we visited. Henderson's is conveniently located, about 2 mins walk from Princes Street.

The restaurant is a buffet style - there are set dishes and hot plate options for mains and desserts on offer (and a combination deal if you go for 2 courses). You queue up, make your order, grab your drinks (including vege alcohol!!) and take your place. The menu is fairly varied (and generally healthy...why don't vege places provide chips?) however, we spotted the inclusion of parmesan which traiditionally is not vegetarian as it's made with animal rennet (we did ask the chef if they were using vegetarian hard fat cheese but alas he didn't know).

Henderson's appears to offer music on most nights. On a Saturday night, we were entertained by Stewart the guitarist who played good music although, for the size of the dining area, the speakers were a tad loud so we couldn't hear each other's conversation.

I think we paid approx £30 for 2 courses and a glass of alchohol each. All in all, not bad and definitely worth a visit when you're in Edinburgh.

Pros: Vegetarian (aside from the Parmesan!), Price, Music

Cons: Parmesan alternative please

Amazing !!! - Edit

Hendersons has quite a relaxed feel but the food is really good. My friend who isnt a vegetarian also really rates this place. I prefer the bistro to the bigger restraunt downstairs but both offer a good selection.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere

Great place to spend on a cold day..:D - Edit

This is a great place! I don't understand some people...I have been to loads of vegan/vegetarian places around the world, and sometimes I am baffled by people's strange reviews on this website! This place is a lovely restaurant. Yes it has limited tables, so book in advance. I had the Haggis, which was absolutely wonderful. A huge portion topped with potatoes, and surrounded by a warm delicious gravy. The perfect warm meal on a cold autumn afternoon. The place was a bit too warm, I had to take off all my layers, but it's better than the alternative. The meal came quick, and the server was friendly. The meal was adorned with fresh cranberries and a fresh FIG!! Something I had never tried before but was very pleased with. After I had an espresso and an order of vegan ice cream. I also had a sparkling orange juice with my meal and it was around 15 pounds for everything, which I think is reasonable. The only beef, no pun intended, I had was with the group of obnoxious Evangelicists loudly discussing religion at the table beside me. But, overall it's a great place. Try it!

Pros: Great Presentation, Great Food, Fast Service

Cons: Limited Tables, Temperature Warm

reservations might be wise at night! - Edit

We had no idea this was 3 separate eating places. In the front is a quick shop with tons of fun vegan sandwiches ready to go, which are key if you're taking a day trip on a mini bus from Edinburgh, underground is a Salad Table and the Bistro is on the end! The Bistro is even open until 12am during festival! They have vegan ice cream and the burger is fantastic (but gas producing!)

Henderson's Bistro, Edinburgh - Edit

We enjoyed a lovely Sunday lunch on a wet and windy January day. The veggie haggis dish was excellent - so much flavour. The mezze dish was very good too but let down by a hummus lacking in flavour. Staff were friendly and attentive, and the waitress was apologetic when we realised the house wine wasn't that advertised in the menu. Great food, good ambiaece and nice people.

Pros: Veggie haggis, Friendly staff, Nice room

Cons: Flavourless hummus!

what a gem! - Edit

i'm studying abroad here for the semester, and my parents just got into town to visit me. so far i'd only been to the veg restaurants around the unoversity (susie's, the forest, kalpna), but i decided to try henderson's last night with my mom and dad, and i'm so glad i did! i wish i had discovered it before the end of my semester! we got the veg haggis/clapshot, an eggplant/sweet potato/smoked tofu dish with cous cous, and another curry-like vegetable dish, and just shared them all among the three of us! i think the haggis may have been the best, but it was all quite good! also, they do a great job of labeling everything on the menu as vegan, or can be made vegan, gluten-free, etc. for dessert, we shared the cherry pie with soy ice cream, which was good, but not amazing. i was just happy to have vegan dessert in a restaurant though so i didn't care! they also have chocolate fondue, which can be ordered vegan, so next time i go (which i definitely will), i'll probably try that! go to henderson's! now! prices pretty good too...

Good for light meals, rubbish for puddings - Edit

This place is better than their 'sister' place the Salad
Table for vegan food. It has a nicer atmosphere and better opening hours, as there aren't many places in Edinburgh that open Sunday afternoons (well it did when I was last there). However, the menu isn't very adventurous, and the puddings are rubbish. They serve the only cherry pie I've ever eaten which has virtually no flavour. I'd go again, but stick to the savoury food.

Pros: location, open sundays, totally veggie

Cons: really bad, bland puddings, limited menu for vegans, has delusions of grandeur

Nice little place - Edit

When I visited, there was plenty of selection for vegans. My starter (bread with an assortment of spreads - hummus, baba ganoush, etc) came with far too little bread for the amount of spread they served. But that turned out to be all right, because I didn't really like some of the spreads at all. The others were quite good. My main dish, a Moroccan tagine, was full of "neaps and tatties" - I guess they either wanted to add a local twist or reduce their costs! They were happy to grant my request for a bowl of just vegan ice cream for pudding (vegan ice cream was offered on the menu, but only with the other puddings - I don't remember if none of them were vegan or if I just wasn't in the mood for the ones that were), which they served topped with some nice fresh fruit. The ice cream itself was a little bit freezer-burnt - maybe they don't get too many people ordering it. I thought I remembered that they closed rather early in the evening (8:30 or 9:00 or so) but according to their website they are open later now.

Pros: decent food, nice atmosphere, friendly service

Cons: ice cream spent too much time in the, freezer

Nice place in Edinburgh - Edit

My fiance and I ate at Henderson's last spring when we visited Edinburgh. We enjoyed it, although there was definitely more for vegetarians than for vegans. The food seemed a little expensive to us for what you got, but it was our first day in Scotland and we may have still been adjusting to the exchange rate (We're from Toronto, Canada). It is a cozy place though and the food was quite good. We had a nice evening there and I would definitely recommend it to others who are visiting from out of town.

Henderson's Restaurant - Edit

Pleasant dining area in basement with friendly atmosphere. Lots of options for vegetarians and quite a reasonable vegan selection for the main courses. My food was tasty and well presented, a vegan haggis in a filo pastry with gravy. There wasn't much in the way of vegan desserts though and my fruit pie was nice but rather on the expensive side for a small portion. Good soya lattes and good selection of wines; the type of place you'd be happy to linger with a bottle after your meal.

Pros: location, tasty and attractive food, soya milk

Cons: desserts on the small side for price

Fabulous - Edit

I recently spent a weekend in Edinburgh, my favourite city, and found this gem right in the heart. The food was fabulous, the setting rustic and charming, and the variety superb. I am a strict vegan, but also refrain from wheat and gluten and the selection available to me was excellent. It's great to find a place that caters to my strict requirements...and serves great food.

Dependable Hendersons - Edit

We have just visited Hendersons for the fourth time in two years, nothing changes! Excellent soups, main courses and desserts as usual in a friendly, casual, atmosphere. Very reasonable prices and everything clearly labelled either veggie or vegan. I can't reccomend this gem enough.
P.S. The founder "Mac" Henderson is 100 years old this year (2007).

Pros: Informal, Friendly staff, Occassional live music

Cons: No nearby parking, Gets very busy

Bland, salty food - Edit

This place is in the kind of time-warp in which carrot salad should contain cheese, and pies should be made with ridiculously thick pastry that tastes of nothing. I am astonished by its continuing success.

Pros: location

Cons: rubbish, bland food, unhappy-looking staff, expensive

4 +++ Stars - Edit

It's probably not fair to rate the view, is it? If you could move this restaurant so that you could see Holyrood Park out the window instead of the grey buildings... then it would rate a perfect 5 for me! Everything inside is perfect.

We ate here twice when we visied Edinburgh in January 2007, once for lunch and once for dinner. Both meals were excellent. The staff are very welcoming and genuinely friendly. It was very comfortable. The food was really delicious, and beautifuly presented. The vege haggis was good too.

I highly recommend this place for a comfy, delicious, happy, yummy, and relaxed experience.

Pros: Best Staff and Service, Yummy Food, Very Comfortable

Cons: Umm... the view?

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Henderson's Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10214 times since Aug 2007.