Henderson's Restaurant

94 Hanover St, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH2 1DR

The Henderson's business includes vegetarian restaurants, a shop and deli, and art gallery. This location serves contemporary vegetarian cuisine, wherever possible using local, seasonal, and organic ingredients. Juices, beer and wine, snacks, meals, and desserts. Short walk from main train station, north of Princes St. Reported its bistro on Thistle St switched to being all-vegan in 2015. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, Catering, Scottish

First Review by onejamie

Cozy but expensive - Edit

I much prefer their bistro around the corner, but as we were in a large group the restaurant suited us better. I've rarely been super impressed by the restaurant, my experience has always been at satisfactory, much like tonight.

Almost £13 for Pad Thai, which was quite tasty, but at mostly spiralised carrots, I didn't feel was particularly good value. I wasn't that inspired by the desserts either - lots of fruit. I was a bit suspicious of the chocolate cake being gluten free, but once I had asked for soya cream (that should have been pro-offered in my opinion as it was mentioned on the menu that all desserts came with cream options) it was far less dry.

Atmosphere and lighting were quite nice and the live music wasn't too loud to be distracting as we were chatting.

Pros: Nice room

Cons: Expensive for what you get, Vegan dessert options a bit dull

My favourite - Edit

it's a cozy place with delicious food. I love to get some salads from the salad bar. Desserts and main courses are excellent. Portions are big.

Lovely atmosphere, especially if someone is playing the piano. Lovely place for wine and dinner.

Nice Lunch - Edit

Came here for lunch and was a bit confused with the two restaurants next to each other, and were then confused with the salad bar and the menu and stuff (still not sure how that all works) but I got a spicy bean burger w/ wedges which was very yummy, looked small but was very filling, and then had the chocolate nutty cake which was delicious!

Pros: Yummy food, Food looked nice

Cons: Confusing, Quite loud / busy

Food looked lovely but pretty bland. - Edit

Not been here for some years, went for Valentines day with husband and daughter. I had cauliflower wings to start with - quite plain and could have done with more of the sauce. Main course was hassleback aubergine with mushroom sauce - again, the sauce was nice but the aubergine was bland. Dessert was blackberry pie, which I think was my favourite part, despite the wholewheat pastry which was fairly solid. Overall nothing that made me think, Wow, though daughter did say her carrot cake was very good. There was live music, which was fine but quite loud and not ideal for conversation.

Pros: Food well presented

Cons: No taste sensations in my selection

Great food! - Edit

There is a lot of vegan options and it was hard to to decide what to get. In the end I had 2 salads - the quinoa veg one with vegan mayo and the beet and carrot one and I also had the chickpea and aubergine curry with brown rice. I also had the choclate nut cake which was delicious. All the food was amazing and I was stuffed after. It's a cute small restoraunt and the staff is very friendly and the service was fast.

Pros: amazing food, fast service, a wide range of options

Cons: none

lots of good healthy options - Edit

i decided up upgrade the restaurant to five cows after my most recent visit.
A group of six stuffed ourselves with salads and cake. i visited at lunch three adults and three kids, and generally anytone wity kids knows how hard it can be sometimes. the advantage here is there is a big selection of salads, as well as a variety of hot dishes, if kids are fussy they should find something they will like easily. The children with us aged from six to fifteen finished all their food and it was great knowing how much veg they ate compared to other places you can go to.
the salads availabe were about 80% vegan and there was a decent selection, offering varied veg and pulses with a good variety of flavours. we follwed up with deserts all of which were tasty and fresh.
as the only vegan in the group i have to say my group was a mixture of veggies and carnivores and none of them realised the majority of their food was vegan. A visit to the bigger Henderson is worth it but i know most vegans would go to the bistro as it's totally vegan. i really think this is a fantastic lunch option where you can leave stuffed, but in a healthy way. there really isn't enough places offering as healthy an option as Hendersons.
i know in previous reviews a lot of people talk about it as expensive, it isn't really cheap. I do know that there is an emphasis of organic food where possible and this really isnt cheap, but you get what you pay for and i think although the food can be a little pricey, i think it offers good value.
Henderson is an institution in Edinburgh and even though it's a good size, sometimes its hard to get a seat at lunchtime, so it is doing something right.

Updated from previous review on 2015-01-08

Pros: healthy, staff & location, child friendly

Great vegan restaurant! - Edit

Located in Edinburgh's New Town, Henderson's restaurant offers a big variety of vegan dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We were here for lunch and among others, tried the vegan version of the Scottish Haggies. My friend had the Tofu Teriyaki. Both were awesome!
The staff was always very friendly and answered our questions.
Prices are ok compared to the rest of the city. We had 2 starters, one main each, 2 desserts and a pint each: that made 20£ each.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-04

Pros: Everything's vegan and organic, Big variety, Delicious

Cons: Prices

a good find - Edit

Hendersons has a great menu with varying options for just about anyone. My boyfriend loved his haggis and mash, meanwhile I thoroughly enjoyed Thai noodles (I wasn't kidding about that varied menu!). The food was really nice and the atmosphere was too.
I think the only slight downside is that it's quite pricey at around £13 per main, so it would definitely be a treat for us to go here.

awesome - Edit

Lots of vegan options. Try the haggis, doesn't look like meat.

Excellent compromise when the bistro is full! - Edit

I ate at Henderson's after being turned away from their vegan bistro around the corner as it was too full.
Despite being a very different layout to the bistro, with a buffet-style feel, I was really impressed with the quality of the food!
The vegan bean burger was lovely - I especially loved the massive potato wedges that accompanied it! There is a brilliant choice of vegan cakes, tempting me to try the chocolate cake and cherry pie - both of which being delectable!
Despite still being second-choice to Henderson's vegan bistro, I'll definitely visit again!

Pros: Many vegan options (including cake)!

Cons: Doesn't quite top Henderson's vegan bistro around

Fabulous Vegan Restaurant - Edit

Hendersons vegan restaurant, is just round the corner from their shop and deli and has great vegan dishes on the menu.

We chose an Emiliana Organic Vineyards Adobe Sauvignon Blanc with starters of grilled polenta wedges with sweet chilli dip and fig and olive tapenade with pine nuts, apple chutney and oatcakes, both were very tasty dishes.

Mains were spiralised squash and courgette zoodles, with dukkah and curried coconut sauce and tofu teriyaki, with coconut brown rice, greens beans and pineapple salsa. The dishes were well presented, using fresh ingredients and very tasty.

We shared dessert, a lemon and thyme cheesecake, with coconut whipped cream, a perfect, light tasty finish to our dinner. Highly recommended.

Pros: Fully vegan food and drinks, Cosy and welcoming

Very Nice Bistro - Edit

The foods is delicious no matter what you order. The staff are friendly and helpful. The environment is warm and spacious. This is a lovely place to eat.

Pros: Delicious Food with Large Selection, Warm Environment and Helpful Staff, Reasonable Prices

Just Go To Their Bistro - Edit

Seriously it's just around the corner and much better.

The Henderson's Restaurant just has never worked for us. We've been a few times, and not every dish we've ordered has been bad, but none have been really good.
I have been served amongst other disappointing things, the worst panna cotta I've ever eaten. It was grainy and tasted entirely of sugar. Vegan panna cotta doesn't deserve to be abused like that when it could be so much more.
I also had bad luck with a banoffee pudding that again, was ridiculously sweet and not much else. The two of us couldn't finish it between us, despite it being relatively small. We left with sugar headaches and three quarters of the pudding still left untouched.

The staff has also been consistently neglectful and surly.

That said, we haven't tried everything on the menu and I'm sure there are some hits on there that we haven't tried, the beer selection is good, and the atmosphere is really nice. During all of our visits we've been treated to live music, usually really nice jazz piano.

Pros: Very nice atmosphere, All vegetarian, which is lovely, Good beer

Cons: Sad desserts, Miserable staff, Inconsistent food

Meh - Edit

Had a pancake which was decent but not warm enough, not large enough (didn't look like a full main meal), not worth 12 pounds.

Great Place! - Edit

What's not to live about hendersons? Massive salad plates with loads of vegan options, yummy mains, vegan chocolate cake and a maze of seating in an underground resturant. Have eaten here more times than I can count!

Good stuff but crowdy - Edit

Nice people, good vegan food, large assortment, but not high standard food (Beans-burger a bit unseasoned).
Many people in a small, long room, so a bit loud, crowdy and warm...

Pros: Variety, good standard, filling

Cons: not a cosy restaurant, no high standard

Consistently excellent - Edit

I used to go to this place frequently when I saw a student in Edinburgh, and went back for a visit last October. It as just as good as I remembered! I had the haggis, which was really delicious, especially the gravy. My partner had the Thai nut burger, and said it was the best burger he's ever had - high praise indeed! For dessert, we both had the chocolate-nut cake and it was lovely, really dense and intense. This places has deservedly gone from strength to strength, and has plenty of good vegan options. One of my favourite places to visit.

Pros: Great food, Excellent vegan options

Keeping up with the times - Edit

Hendersons is an institution that has been going for decades and in many ways is very good and an oasis from the prevailing culture of flesh eating. Edinburgh is ill served for vegetarians and mostly hopeless for vegans. Hendersons is somewhat old fashioned in its outlook and caters for vegans with a slight edge of reluctance. They rarely vary their very limited vegan puddings from one decade to the next (cherry pie and fresh fruit salad). Oddly they have taken to refusing to label their readymade sandwiches in their shop to distinguish vegetarian from vegan. It is very definitely a vegetarian establishment that caters for vegans rather than the other way about. How long will it be before Edinburgh catches up with Glasgow?

Pros: Dedicated vegetarian establishment, Caters for vegans, Well run

Cons: Vegan offer could be sharpened, Established formula changes little

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Henderson's Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.