CLOSED: Helveg Cafe

Contact +41-223471515

Avenue de Miremont 31 ter, Geneva, Switzerland, 1206

Open Sept 2013, this is a vegan restaurant and boutique dedicated to providing healthy and organic culinary experience. Offer a vegan and a live food menu. Boutique hours vary from cafe, and open by appointment. DEC 2015 REPORTED SHUT. Tue-Fri 12:00pm-2:00pm, Tue-Sat 6:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, European

First Review by Riekje

Very good but expensive - Edit

I've been there 3 times sofar and the food is very good, ask the waitresse she'll give you some advices to make the right choices, she's really a good waitress!

My only complaint is that it's a little bit too expensive, but the place is really nice, service is top notch and food is excellent.

Recommended

Contributions +16

Good, very good but... - Edit

Recommended

Pros: raw and vegan

Cons: not cheap

Helveg the very best! - Edit

last night I enjoyed the best Vegan meal EVER!
Rachida the chef is totally fantastic, everything Vegan.... Gourmet and nutritional, tasty and I could not fault it at all.
Mme Foron, the owner has worked a miracle IN THIS MEAT EATING CITY. Rachida and our delightful waitress made our evening special...
Will go again and very soon... Excellent value, a complete raw menu for 48 SFR or 55 SFR for mostly cooked....
Really is FANTASTIC..... Vegan wine list too...
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 14, 2015

Pros: totally vegan, super friendly customer service, delicious meals, brilliant presentation

Cons: Same menu for two months, wish the boutique sold vegan cheese and bread too, raw was dry

Not tasty and very expensive - Edit

This vegan restaurant looks very nice and the waiter, though only speaking french, was very friendly. The menu looked nice and the food looked OK too. However it tasted quite bad. So bad that we didn't even eat it all. The miso was lukewarm, very salty and not interesting. The burger didn't have structure and was way too heavy on the stomach. The quinoa tajine was really salty and too much to eat it all.
We expected fine dining, some culinairy treats. Especially after seeing the price tag. But I cook beter food at home.

Lastly the red wine (starting at 42 francs I believe) was really sour. I could only drink from it while eating food simultaneously.

Pros: Nice decor, Friendly waiter, Tapwater (after some discussion)

Cons: Not culinairy surprising, Too salt, Too much

Big disappointment - Edit

The place looks nice, the waiters are very kind, the food looks very good (see photos) but it's not tasty at all! Our starter were the quiche (which was dry, flat, tiny and uneatable) and the raw vegan nori roll (very badly seasoned and also no taste). Main courses were sweet and sour tofu (also very bad, barely cooked and with almost no sauce) and the hamburger (very bad texture and taste, with a tomato sauce without taste that was supposed to play the part of the ketchup, and some veggies on the side also them with no taste). The tiny appetiser we had (pumpkin with sea weeds) was the only tasty dish of dinner, together with the chocolate mousse as dessert, also very nice. But main course and starters were a huge disappointment! And let's not forget the terribly high prices, we also has 2 shots of veggie juice and 2 glasses of wine, the bill was 190 dollars!
I really hope they will get a professional cook and eventually reduce the prices, that now are extremely high for their low standards. I am vegan and I find this place a bad advertisement about veganism, non vegans will think that vegan food is expensive and has no taste!

Pros: the plates look very nice, the place is cosy, staff is friendly

Cons: the food has no taste, very expensive for what it is, they need to hire a professional vegan cook

4 Responses

good but... - Edit

very friendly staff, nice place and good food (raw menu it was for me), but unless you have a high swiss salary, you will choke on the prices!
I liked it butwon't go back because of the high rates.

Pros: friendly staff, raw food available, vegan

Cons: too expensive

pay a attention to the hours!! - Edit

we got there at 3pm and the kitchen was closed. where very disappointed because the place looks nice. but then we looked at the prices and realized that it was a pretty expensive place with more thene 30f to a main dish...

Cons: s

HelVeg should be called HeavenVeg - Edit

I was o surprised when I first visited HelVeg, because it was like an oasis in the middle of the most meat-friendly city I think I've ever been in. I'm sure any meat eater would enjoy it.

It really is first class, with friendly staff, excellent organic food. It wasn't heavy on the sauces, because it didn't need to much extra the flavoring, the food itself was tasty enough. The flavors were delicate but very satisfying. I didn't even feel like dinner that night.

I'll definitely be back. A highlight of my Geneva trip.

At last, vegan in Geneva.

Pros: Very tasty, Tasteful decor, Satisfying

delicious, affordable, and lovingly done - Edit

This place just opened and even though it is a bit outside of the city center I decided to give it a try.
I really liked this place for several reasons:
- The food was good: homemade with a twist. I had an amuse (vegetable pakora on rice) and a huge! salad with tofu, ebly, roasted seeds (among them hemp seeds), and omega3 oil (dunno which one, it did have a slightly bitter taste). For all the uber-health-conscious vegans, I would ask to reduce the oil a bit --- I didn't mind ;).
- It has style: many vegan restaurants are hippie (nothing against it, though) and this place is a restaurant I would visit for anniversaries etc. When I was there, two middle age ladies had lunch, and seriously, the place opens up veganism to the public.
- it is affordable: I only had a starter but the portion was huge and I couldn't finish it. I paid 30 Franc for an amuse, water, huge salad, 4 small cakes and a coffee. The daily main is 25 Franc.
- they have several plant milks to chose from, I did stick with me good old soy milk, though ;).
- there is a shop upstairs and a little cute lounge to have coffee in comfy couches
- they speak English, though the menu is in French and the waiter did struggle with the ingredients. Combining our language skills we were fine ;)
- a vegan wine menu (hell yeah)

I highly recommend this place to anyone in town!

Return to Geneva Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Helveg Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5227 times since Aug 2013.