Heianraku

Contact 577-32-3078

6-7-2 Tenman-chou (at Kokubunji street), Takayama, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. A simple "mom & pop"-style family restaurant, providing traditional Japanese food. Has a separate vegetarian menu with vegan options. You can either sit on tatami mats at a low Japanese-style table, or at the counter where you can watch Hiroshi prepare your meal. English spoken.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by Dean

Should be 5 stars!! - Edit

The fact you can't give 5 stars in this case is very frustrating because even though they do serve meat, at least half of their menu is vegan/vegetarian.

Make sure you book at least one day ahead to experience this lovely place. They are very allergy/vegan/vegetarian friendly. My coeliac boyfriend had no problem eating here at all (he loved it!). The owners speak English, and the lady explained everything well and introduced each dish and drink with a little story and/or explaining what was on the plate. We also got soup and a little appetiser before hand which were both as amazing as the main dishes. I wish I could go back there all the time!

Pros: large vegan/vegetarian menu, gluten-free friendly, lovely owners

Great spot for vegetarians and those who love them. - Edit

This delightful little spot was exactly what my wife and I needed on a lovely day in Takayama. The owners are simply wonderful, and their restaurant is so warm and friendly. Try the Hida miso ramen. You won't be disappointed. If I could give this place five stars, I would.

Pros: Wonderful food, Warm atmosphere , Friendly staff

Cons: Can't rate it five stars

Just what I was looking for :) - Edit

Perfect little restaurant with very friendly owners who talk about interesting things in good English.
There was a great menu for everybody and I had many choices. They even thought about me as a vegan with extra soup as an appetizer and told me about the banana bread with an egg in it! Just very thoughtful, friendly and open people !!!
Also met other travelers!
I'd give 5 Cows haha

Pros: Food, Environment, People

Great place to eat! - Edit

Really good food. I especially liked the vege fried dumplings. The couple that run the place are very freely and accommodating. There was a nice range of vegetarian options and non-vege options if you are travelling with non-vege friends. Very cheap too. Closed on Tuesday's, but we went 2 nights in a row and there was plenty of variety. I highly recommend it!

Pros: Cheap, Good variety, Good taste!

Cons: Closed Tuesdays, I walked past it a couple of times

loved it! - Edit

We went here for dinner one night and the staff is amazing! So friendly, English menu, they go out of their way for allergies. Things can be made gluten free as well. Would recommend!!!!!

Absolutely recommended - Edit

If you go to one place in Takayama, make it this one. The food is excellent and plentiful, there's an English menu, the setting is very nice (at the bar or on tatami mats), but most of all the owner Hiroshi is such as friendly and approachable person. She speaks English well and is very interested in other countries, so it was great to chat with her about our own culture as well as Japanese culture.
I think there's place for about 15 people, and initially when we wanted to go in there was a sign outside saying it was fully booked. Fortunately for us some people just left and were able to enter. If possible I'd advise making a reservation in advance.

Sweetest owners ever!! - Edit

It took us a little while to find this place, but once we did, it was amazing!!

The people who own it are super sweet, they had really nice conversations with us, and one of them speaks english pretty well, which was awesome. She also gave us little chocolate biscuit things that she really liked.

They gave us a bunch of little free dishes with all of their specialties.
I highly recommend the potatoes- they come with really yummy sauce and a wonderful spinach dish (I got it as one of their little dishes)

Vegan/Vegetarian friendly with lots of choices! They also have non-vegetarian options for those who eat meat!

Their dishes are fairly large and you get a lot of little appetizers, so come hungry!! Also, I recommend sharing dishes if you don't have a large stomach.

I would give this place 5 stars, but since it serves meat, I can only give it 4. Very very good though!!
I recommend this place a visit if you are in Takayama!!

*Also, Takeout isn't very common in sit-down restaurants in Japan, so be prepared!!*

Pros: Vegan options!, Super friendly owners!, Great potatoes!

Cons: Could be busy, make reservation?, Large servings, no takeout! , Sort of odd hours!

Best restaurant in Takayama - Edit

This place is so charming and it has a menu to match! It's hosts are as accommodating as they are talented, serving the freshest dishes made from local produce! They cater for vegetarian/vegan and also serve meat so convenient if travelling in a group to suit varied dietary choices/needs. Definitely a must while visiting Takayama. Make sure you book to avoid disappointment!

Pros: Fresh local produce, Vegetarian/vegan options, Fantastic hosts

Wonderful Food, Lovely Owners, Book in Advance - Edit

We had a wonderful vegan meal here, with wonderful service. It's a family restaurant, very small and very friendly, and the owners are very happy to accommodate dietary needs.

This restaurant is tiny (seats around 15) and fills up fast--they have a strong local clientele, which tells you something--so best to call ahead and make a dinner reservation. (We had our hotel do it for us.)

The location is very convenient, a few blocks from the rail station.

The owners are genuinely hospitable and enjoy talking with foreigners.

I would give 5 stars but HC only allows a max of 4 for nonveg restaurants.

Pros: wonderful food, wonderful owners, convenient location

Nice, traditional place with veggie menu - Edit

Agree with everything the others said. Make a point to go to this of you can.

I'd give this 5 stars if I could.

Pros: Traditional low tables, Great service, Tasty food

Cons: Could be full

Good Japanese Vegetarian Food - Edit

This is a small and cozy traditional Japanese restaurant, which also provides a variety of vegetarian and vegan options. Since this is hard to find in Japan, this is a must-go place for vegetarians and vegans visiting Takayama.

The setting is traditional, with a few tables only and a counter phasing the cook. The couple, who runs the restaurant is very friendly and speaks decent English.

We started with vegetable tempura and had grilled Tofu with rice and a vegetarian fired rice for mains. The food was definitely not bad, but there is no way that would make this the number one restaurant in town (which it currently is on Trip Advisor).

Pros: Vegetarian and Vegan Options, English skills, Traditional

Very good food by wonderful hosts! - Edit

This is a must visit spot for all vegetarians visiting takayama. The hosts are very friendly and helpful and nice, the ambience is also cozy. The flavours of the food are amazing too! Overall a small but lovely place with good food just eat of the station!

great place - Edit

I am vegetarian but rest of family are not
Good food made to order. Menu in english and seperate veggie menu owner really friendly and accomodating home made ginger ale great. Would highly recommend

Pros: great food, good atmosphere, good value

Heianraku - Edit

A small family run restaurant that is open for lunch and dinner. While it is not a vegetarian restaurant, they are vege friendly and have a separate vegetarian menu. The food is simple, but fresh and tasty. The vegetarian menu has 5 choices. We had the stir fry veges, tofu 'steaks' and the stir fried noodles. The proprietor was very friendly,spoke good English and helped us with our somewhat poor Japanese. If we were staying longer, we'd go back.

Heianraku - Edit

My wife and I stumbled on Heianraku while visiting Hida-Takayama recently. Heinraku is on the main street (Kokubunji dori), and is run by Hiroshi & Naoko Furuta. Naoko has excellent English, and we were made most welcome. Heianraku probably seats around 20 people max. It has menus in English (and German?), and a separate vegetarian menu. We chose two set meals from their menu for something aroun 1000 yen each, then settled at the counter to watch Hiroshi prepare our dinner. We were the only westerners there, but there were several Japanese people enjoying their food, including one of the local shopkeppers that was collecting takeout in clever wooden boxes to take home.

Pros: cheap, fresh simple Japanese food, very friendly hosts

Cons: it's not the Hilton

Return to Takayama Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Heianraku closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4103 times since Nov 2011.