CLOSED: Heartwood Community Cafe

( 1 review )

604-872-3166

317 E Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V5T 1W5

Serves meat, vegan options available. A queer-friendly neighborhood cafe rooted in social justice and community building. Has vegetarian and vegan dishes, weekend brunch. Fully licensed. Hosts speaking and music events. CONFIRMED CLOSED ON WEBSITE, AUG 2016.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Canadian, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by VeggieVag

Not my cup of tea - Edit

I was excited to try this place after it was recommended by a friend who used to work there. I went on a night that I didn't know was an event to celebrate the end of Ramadan (a Muslim tradition). The place was full of people waiting for the sun to go down so they could indulge. My boyfriend and I felt very unwelcome and quite guilty that we were eating in front of everybody even though the restaurant is open to the public even when events are being held. The place was packed and we had people sharing our table and staring at our food. It was very uncomfortable.

Onto the food, it was tasteless and dry (not enough sauce on anything) and the veggies were overcooked mush. It was very overpriced and really uninspired. The vegan options are pathetic. I told my friend (who is vegan) about the experience and she said it's because the head chef that created the menu wasn't working that night and the other kitchen staff don't put the same care and attention into the food when he isn't there. Sounds like a staff meeting is in order? I just wish people cared about making good food. You work in a restaurant people!

Pros: vegan and gluten free options

Cons: tasteless

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Heartwood Community Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.