First Review by SynthVegan

Excellent - Edit

When I lived in Rogers Park this was my favorite restaurant. I still go there everytime I visit Chicago, and I love to bring my friends there to show it off. The last time I went, they had added an adorable little market.

Good Community Spot - Edit

This is the kind of restaurant/venue that anchors a community. If I lived in the immediate neighborhood, I'd come here all the time. Great vibe, friendly people, warm and welcoming. The meals are great, but not memorable. Not living in the neighborhood, the food isn't of so high a caliber that I'd go out of my way to eat here. There are just too many other (better) vegan options in the city.

Love the Heartland Cafe - Edit

Just got back from visiting Sweet Home Chicago. When I visit Chi Town the Heartland is my # 1 place to eat. There are plenty of vegetarian/vegan options and things for my non vege friends too. The owners, Michael James and Katie Hogan are good friends and I bring them interesting menu suggestions, some of which have found their way to the Heartland menu. They strive to live up to their slogan. "Good food for the mind and body." The Heartland is also a great place for music, comedy and spoken word. Over the years (I've been going there since the late 70's) I've met a host of interesting people, many of whom have become friends. The Heartland is more than a restaurant, it's an experience. Check it out.

Pros: great food, fun staff, unique

Cons: parking

New Improved Menu - Edit

Apparently Heartland now has a new and improved menu and the items on it look tasty. This is a good thing because last time I was there I didn't like what I got - I think it was some wrap. It also looks like they have a good amount of veg*n options now too. :)

Heartland is also really convenient to get to by car and by train (red line - it's a 1 min walk from the stop).

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Heartland Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1122 times since Aug 2010.