Healthy Sins Vegan Cafe

Contact 815-838-4626

928 S State St (at downtown), Lockport, Illinois, USA, 60441

Raw, vegan, gluten-free restaurant in the southwestern suburbs of Chicago. Replaced the previous Thanks Jordan Vegan Cafe in fall-2013. Offers food preparation classes. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-7:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out, All Raw

First Review by widgetoc

Never knew healthy food could taste this delicious!!! - Edit

So amazing to find a raw, vegan, all organic restaurant! This place has opened up a whole new world to me and inspired me to change my diet. I now eat mostly vegan and quite a bit of raw. The food tastes amazing! And you can't go there without trying the most incredible desserts EVER! And again, they are actually healthy! WOW!!! That's all I can say! And the owner and people who work there are just as nice as can be!

Pros: Healthy, delicious food!, Amazing desserts!, Wonderful, friendly staff!

Cons: None!

Very impressed - Edit

I recently had the opportunity to eat here with family for a special occasion, and I was very impressed by the wealth of menu options and the friendly and welcoming environment of the restaurant. Our server offered us several samples of different sauces/toppings from the menu to help us make our selections, which was greatly appreciated. I ended up trying the flatbread bites appetizer, the steak burrito plate, and a side salad with the tahini ranch dressing. All of the above were completely delicious. The portions were very filling. The staff was so friendly during the entire meal, and they even sent me off with a brownie for dessert because it was my birthday! I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

The only potential downside—in terms of the general accessibility of this place to the masses—is that everything is raw, and my family (none of whom are vegan or eat raw) seemed to have a hard time with that aspect. Although I am vegan, I do not often eat raw either, but I found everything to be prepared excellently, and all of it honestly exceeded my expectations. I only mention this point because I know I'm not the only vegan out there who wants to be able to enjoy vegan restaurants with their perhaps less-than-open family members, and it probably helps if everyone understands raw food going into it!

Pros: Friendly atmosphere, All vegan, Tasty food

Cons: Somewhat expensive, Avoid if you have nut allergies, My omnivorous family had a hard time w/ raw menu

Delicious Food & Lovely Cafe! - Edit

Absolutely loved it! We held a party here at the cafe and Healthy Sins catered it. The food was incredible that even omnivores were very satisfied. Marguerite was very accommodating and easy to work with. Everything was absolutely delightful and I highly recommend that everyone who loves delicious food go here! :)

Pros: Delicious raw/vegan food!, Excellent staff and service, The decor and layout of the cafe was delightful

Cons: Can't think of any

Yummy Food! - Edit

This place makes vegan food tastes amazing. The owner Marguerite is such a sweet and talented person. She conducted this class on how to make taco meat and it tasted exactly like taco meat (No soy, gluten or setian!). The base of the meat was made from grinded almonds. I was blown away! I live far in the city of Chicago but it's worth a trip to Lockport to visit this place. I promise, you won't be disappointed!

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-18

Pros: Excellent Food, Quaint small place, Friendly staff

Cons: Wish it was closer to the city so I can visit more

Awesome place - Edit

Everything is raw and uncooked. I was surprised to see such a place in a small town. The staff was courteous and knowledgeable. I truly wish there was a place like this closer to me. It's a great little place and I highly recommend.

Nothing short of amazing - Edit

This vegan café has so many amazing food options. All raw and organic. There is also a large selection of fresh squeezed juices and smoothies.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-29

Pros: Large portions, amazing food, friendly staff

awesome raw food - Edit

I've been to Healthy Sins multiple times, including once when I was a non-vegan who never dreamed of becoming a vegan! I love it here, the food is absolutely incredible. The Supreme Raw Pizza is one of my all time favorites, and although its been a while since I've had the non-vegan version, tastes exactly like cold pizza, only fresher! The only complaints I have are on the staff, whom are either a hit or miss. I've walked in before, on a very quiet day, and had not a single person working look up from what they are doing. It was awkward to say the least, considering they knew I was in the building. I'm a pretty upfront and carefree person, but I've had the strangest sense of "unwelcomeness" a few times. However, I've also had wonderfully kind waiters and workers who are charismatic and will answer any questions. Despite its few flaws, I will continue to go and enjoy the incredible food and support the lone vegan spot within 15 miles of my house!

Pros: amazing food

Cons: hit or miss staff, pricey

amazing food and amazing service - Edit

I am both vegan and gluten free and not by choice. I am allergic to almost everything and I have never been to a restaurant that is so willing to work with my allergies. They are so kind and generous and I have never had better service in my life. They are so kind, I walked out of there feeling like I had a new friend. They also have some of the best foods of any vegan restaurant I've ever been to. The menu has a lot of options and the cranberry "cheese" cake is by far the best cheesecake I've ever had!

Pros: really friendly, amazing service

Cons: none

Worth a detour! Excellent raw vegan menu! - Edit

My wife and I love this place. We have been visiting it for years and the new owner has kept the amazing menu intact and has even widened it and improved it. Everything is raw vegan and there is not an item on the menu that you can go wrong with. The little town of Lockport is not really so far and there is a co-op two doors down where you can pick up some healthy food for when you get home.

Pros: Healthy and delicious choices, Good value for what you get, Great service

Cons: none

Amazing Food - Edit

Healthy Sins Vegan Cafe is probably one of the best Raw restaurants I've been to. The food is simply divine! My husband and I have been wanting to check it out for ages because we heard such good things about it, but didn't get the chance until recently. I'm happy to report that they totally exceeded out expectations.

All the food was fresh, and tasty. You can really tell that it's prepared with love. The staff is super friendly, and helpful and the place in general has a really cool - almost Euro - like vibe. We loved it. It's the kind of place where you can just relax, and take your time, and enjoy.

Since everything looked so good we had a hard time narrowing it down but we ended up going with the Bagel Bites and the Nachos for our appetizers to share. Both of these were phenomenal. I really loved the 'bagel' bread, and the nachos were out of this world. The Corn chips were so good that i'd argue they're better then regular corn chips. Plus that taco meat was fantastic!

For my husbands meal he went with the Sloppy Joe's which he really liked, I was lucky enough to score a bit myself and So I can say they were pretty damn delicious. For my meal I went with the Pizza and man oh man! The Sunflower Seed crust was excellent, and the Italian Cheese and Marinara were out of this world good! I would definitely order this again. Both mains came with two side salads - a green salad with spicy dressing and a fruit salad with sweet dressing. Both very tasty.

We couldn't pass up dessert, and so my husband ordered the apple pie which was really good - and tasted just like a traditional apple pie. I went with the Almond Butter Pie which blew my mind. So rich, and decadent, and yet light.

They also have smoothies and juices that are made in the Organic Market next door. We were too full after all that to enjoy anything further but after walking around town for a couple of hours we hit up the Organic Market and got some smoothies to go. My husband got the Oatmeal Cookie smoothie which he liked although thought it had a bit too much ginger. I liked it but thought it had too much nutmeg - to each their own. I got the Lemon Cheesecake Smoothie with strawberries and it tasted exactly like Cheesecake.

If you're in the area, or are planning on passing through you really do need to stop and check this place out. You won't be disappointed I swear!

Pros: Delicious Fresh Food , Friendly, helpful Staff, Easy Parking

Cons: A bit Pricey

STILL OPEN! Healthy Sins Vegan Cafe! - Edit

Formerly the Thanks Jordan Vegan Cafe:

Same delicious food done up right by Chef Ashley Cox! Raw, Vegan, Organic, and Gluten Free! Please come visit us and leave us a review here on our new page!

We hope to see you soon!

Pros: Tastes good, good for you!, Convenient local parking (free), Relaxed, friendly atmosphere

Return to Lockport Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Healthy Sins Vegan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.