HealThy Self Co

03-96873330

26 Ballarat St, Yarraville, Victoria, 3013

Serves meat, vegan options available. Modern atmosphere. Has take away smoothies, coffee, juice, and tea. Order at counter. Has an in-house naturopath and massage therapist. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-4:00pm, Sat 7:30am-4:00pm, Sun 8:00am-3:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Raw, Western, Salad bar, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by IsharaAhimsaLove

Reasonably good food - Edit

We had lunch here in a Saturday afternoon and it wasn't too busy. We ordered the 'Super Smash' and the Japanese Tempeh Bowl. While pleasant enough, the smashed avocado didn't really warrant the 'Super' the title, and was fairly standard. I had ordered two falafels as an extra and they were tired and dry. Maybe it's too much to expect freshly made ones, but at $4 I'd expect better. The tempeh bowl was very nice with soy sauce and wasabi flavours full but not overpowering. The tempeh was beautifully flavoured: the highlight of the whole meal. I came back a couple of days later and had the Winter Bliss bowl, which was well put together: a nice mixture of crunchy, moist and creamy textures with fresh and nutty flavours. The meals are not cheap ($16-$17.50) but prices are not out of the ordinary. I was a bit surprised there was no table service here, as there seemed to be plenty of staff.

Pros: Decent food

Cons: Tired, dry falafels, No table service

Very little vegan food. - Edit

Reading the description of this cafe, we thought we were in for a treat, as it says basically everything is vegan. This was very untrue, there was only one hot vegan option, which was basically smashed avo on toast...boring, but we thought it would be made a full meal as the menu said it also had beans and a seed topping. We added mushrooms on the side and the meal came out without beans. They said they were trialling changes to the menu, but didn't tell us. So $21.50 each for avo on toast. Total $53 for 2 coffees and 2 avocado toasts. Hmmm. Also the waiter spilled our coffees into the saucers when bringing them the metre or so from the bench. The meal and coffee tasted decent, it was just a disappointing experience because we went out of our way to a place we thought was mainly vegan, due to the Happy Cow description. It is certainly not!

Return to Yarraville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has HealThy Self Co closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.