Healthy on Lark

518-650-7755

274 Lark St, Albany, New York, USA, 12201

Vegetarian cafe focused on farm to table food. Owner is a certified health coach and a long time vegetarian. Offers chickpea and black bean burgers, rice and bean bowls with veggie of the day, soba noodle specials, fresh juices, smoothies and organic tea. Seating for up to 20. Gluten free bread available. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-7:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering

First Review by kevin-green21

Great Food for Great Health - Edit

Fantastic Vegan breakfast, and an amazing community surrounding this small shop in Albany.

Needed some substantial breakfast food on the road, so I stopped in for the vegan breakfast wrap that i saw online. Had a great conversation with the owner and Sharon, another entrepreneur in the area. After only a few seconds I could tell this place was a special home for many people around the area looking to better their bodies naturally.

The vegan wrap was delicious, a little on the sweet side with all the sweet potato in it. But the vegan sausage and vegan swiss cheese paired nicely with the veggies for a very filling breakfast!

Can't wait to return again in the near future! Their smoothies and juices looked delicious and each with their own special health benefits.

Vegans and non-vegans alike, this is the place to be!

Pros: Unique place!, Great menu with health benefits

Cons: Doesn't seem to be well known...yet :)

NOTE: didn't actually eat here - Edit

I was passing through Albany on my long drive from Long Island to upstate New York. Albany was about half way through and seemed like the best bet to attempt to find vegan food.

Healthy on Lark was the first place I found and their menu looked great. On HappyCow, the hours were listed until 7pm. We got there at 6pm and they were closed. After standing in front of the door for a few minutes trying to figure out where else to go, the owner opened the door to come talk to us.

She explained that she just recently changed her hours and had closed at 4pm. She was extremely nice and friendly. She said that if she didn't have a meeting to get to she would've let us come in and order, and I honestly think that she meant it.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to eat here simply due to the fact that the owner was so friendly. If I ever drive through Albany again, I will definitely give this place a shot (and make sure I call to check the hours first).

I see that the hours on HappyCow still have not been changed, so definitely call before you go, especially if you are driving from 200 miles away!

Pros: Friendly Staff

Meaks 24 Apr 2017 - Thanks for your review. We have updated the opening hours as a result of your feedback and added links to the website and Facebook. Note that you can use the update link to report such changes. :)
David, TeamCow.

Quaint and Yummy! - Edit

The first thing I noticed on entering Healthy On Lark was the great atmosphere! A very homey, yet vibrant setting that immediately makes you feel nice and relaxed. The owner was very pleasant and friendly, and put on some music for us to enjoy with our meal. The food was tasty, especially the house made salsa!! Very fresh and delicious! I should've asked to see if I could take a jar home with me! The Funky Monkey smoothie was very good also. I'm already thinking about what I'll be ordering there the next time I go to Albany!

Pros: Great Atmosphere, Friendly and Attentive Staff

Yum! - Edit

After trying to go to Terra nearby and realizing they were closed (even though all their hours pointed to them being open) I decided to go to the closest fully vegetarian restaurant after reading some reviews. I realized I had made a good decision as soon as I opened the door and was greeted by Sharon. She was gauging my preferences and what I was hungry for right off the bat and it was unusual and charming compared to the usual place. It felt very personal and the food was delicious, unique, and homey and the restaurant itself was cute and unconventional in its seating and decor. After some contemplation of all the attractive options (burritos, chickpea burger, BLT, etc.) I had the beans and rice bowl with some mixed veggies and her homemade salsa with a juice containing cabbage, apples, ginger, and carrots. We wound up having a long conversation afterwards about our mutual dislike and fear of Donald Grump and agreed to talk again after the election and reevaluate our state of affairs. She also had many cute trinkets for sale, including tiny homemade baby farmed animals in baskets - I bought two! Would definitely recommend for anybody in Albany.

Pros: Delicious, Personal, Homey

Healthy on Lark is Great! - Edit

While I suppose you could point to something on the menu and it would show up, my experience was quite different. My lunch mate and I selected items from the menu and then Sharon Lastique, the owner, asked questions so that she could customize our plates to our liking. Questions beyond which bread and side. Questions like do you want your bread dressed with coconut oil or vegan mayo. Do you like Bragg's? Would you enjoy mushrooms? And so on.

The result was very much worth the process. I ended up with a sandwich no part of which is on the menu--sliced tofu sautéd with onions and garlic on hearty whole grain bread with vegan mayo and a side salad of baby greens dressed with balsamic. Delicious, attractive and very much to my liking. My lunch mate ordered a breakfast burrito and was also very happy.

Despite the small kitchen, two people working and substitutions galore, the food came out quickly. A nice pot of hibiscus tea kept us company in the small but clean and comfy dining room while we waited. The bill seemed low--the food is worth more--but if they can make it work at these prices, more customers to them.

Thanks to Healthy on Lark. I'll be back.

Great host and great food - Edit

I had used to go to Lil' Buddha and was unsure what the flavors would be like at Healthy on Lark. My best friend and I were definitely satisfied- the food was delicious and Sharon (the owner) was very engaging- always attentive and genuinely wanted to have conversation with her customers.

The flavors were amazing and she always asked about what we preferred in our dishes (she customized our dishes to what vegetables she had gotten locally and what we had preferences for). It was great- you don't often see such fluidity in recipes at restaurants.

I can say without a doubt if you loved Lil' Buddha, you'll love Healthy on Lark even more! We will definitely be visiting again!

Delicious - Edit

They seem to have the magic touch when it comes to the food here. The flavors just come together! Even though the healthiness apparent at every level it's the deliciousness that hits you first. ANd then the whole local food farm to table veggie vegan friendly thing.

Pros: deliciousness, healthiness, good music!

Cons: small place, not too much seating inside

Return to Albany Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Healthy on Lark closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.