Healthful Essence

Contact 404-806-0830

875 York Ave SW (at Ralph D. Albernathy), Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 30310

Caribbean style vegan cuisine. Menu features jerk un-chicken, curry vegetables, tofu cutlets, marinated kale salad, iris moss drinks, and more. Reggae music played in the background; has Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-8:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Caribbean, Southern American

First Review by HoneydewBliss

Food is amazing - Edit

I haven't tried many vegan/vegetarian restaurants because there aren't many in Houston where I'm from. This has to be some of the best food I've had. The staff there allowed me to taste test the food and I settled on the Bok Choy, rice, and seasonal mix of veggies. That was awesome, but when I ate the samosas stuffed with lentils I KNEW I was coming back. Good good food.

Excellent Food & Service - Edit

Great things come in small packages and that is what this restaurant holds. A variety of vegan options including desserts. The Un-Meat choices are delicious. Staff is always pleasant and will offer a sample before you buy. A must try is the Curry Ungoat.

Pros: All vegan options

delish - Edit

I wasn't attracted by the name but it was around the corner from my non vegan book club. I pulled into this hole in the wall and was greeted by lovely people who let me try samples and I ended up with the most delicious curried meat substitute and plantains . I had some eggplant that needed salt but overall it was amazing!!!

Pros: delicious, lots of options, Carry out or eat in

Almost all has been said :-) - Edit

I agree 99% and won't bore you with what has been said already. In addition I liked that it was easy to reach from the subway.

Pros: Walking distance from subway., Counter stile buffet., Delicious raw chocolate cake.

Keep coming back! - Edit

We keep coming back to this place. Easy parking, great food and juices and friendly staff. The only complaint I have is that it always seems to be hot in there, but that doesn't play a big factor when it comes to coming back to a restaurant. :) Would definitely recommend!

Jerked Vegan - Edit

It's tough finding vegan island food in any city. There are none in DC where I reside for example. So when I make it to Atlanta I head to York Street in the Westend for the finest spiced grub in the city. Not only does this small, eclectic spot play reggae all day, but their culinary philosophy is based on optimal health. Irish moss, raw foods, smoothies and whole foods are the staple foods. Brown rice and peas for example, collards, curry veggies, lentils, black beans, egg plant and string beans are some of my favorites. Snacks include their seasoned popcorn and banana nut bread. Prices are very fare and portions are more than you can ingest.

Pros: Caribbean delight , healthy portions , whole foods

Cons: none

Delicious Carribean Cuisine! - Edit

The food was extremely delicious! We had the un goat, rice with black beans, curry vegetables, casserole, samosas, and blueberry coconut cake (not all in one sitting!). It was all delicious and very filling. The service was great! Very friendly staff who work hard to provide excellent cuisine! If we ever come through Georgia again we will definitely stop here!

Pros: Vegan, Flavorful, Great service

Real Carribbean Ital! Delicious! - Edit

I went here with a pretty large group (about 10 of us) and the restaurant was large enough to accommodate with no problems. Nice Carribbean-style decor, and casual counter service worked out just fine. The food was amazing! I had jerk "duck," BBQ tofu, greens, fried plantains. Next time I go I'll have to order the jerk "chicken". I had a taste from my friend's plate and it was divine. Homemade sorrel was wonderful too! Service was pleasant. They don't accept restaurant.com coupons, though.

Great food, friendly staff - Edit

Visited Healthful Essence Dec 1, 2009 while in Atlanta on business. Very helpful friendly staff gave me good directions to the location; about 3 blocks from West End MARTA stop. Close to public transportation.
Excellent food at very reasonable prices, all vegan, some raw.
Cooked - had the curried vegetables over rice with collard greens and un-fish cake. Curry hot and spicy like I like it.
Next day I had a raw sampler: Quinoa salad, with a kale salad and spinach salad on the side. Both excellent and well seasoned. Option for less spicy salad available.
Back in May 2015, as delicious as ever!
Desserts: sweet potato pie, cooked one day, raw the next. Both very good, though I highly recommend the raw one.
Appetizer: the nouri bites hit the spot and kept me revived during long meetings.
Highly recommend, and will return when in Atlanta.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 08, 2009

Pros: healthy, well seasoned food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: neighborhood in transition, closes early

Wonderful! - Edit

It's too bad this restaurant is on the other side of town from me...otherwise I'd go all the time. The curry veggies and un-goat were just the right amount of spicy. Everything was delicious! The staff was a little standoffish at first but that was probably because I don't know what I was doing. They warmed up. I shall return!

Missing my Veggie Jerk Chicken & Curry Ungoat! - Edit

Great food with service to match. This was a regular spot for me when I was in Atlanta. Basically can't go wrong with anything on the menu - but there was no way I ever left tis restaurant without 2 portions of Jerk unchicken! I'd always struggled with soy chunks until I tasted the curry ungoat. Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!! Just down to earth real tasty cooking!!!!

A trip to Healthful Essence is mandatory - Edit

Wonderfully prepared food, great energy, joyful music...visiting Healthful Essence a mandatory for me when visiting Atlanta. Brought the cookbook to make sure I don't go into withdrawals. The food reminds me of home, healthier since vegan. Who says we can't be culturally grounded and eat right. Highly recommend you fall in love with Healthful Edsence as we did.and don't forget the drinks and desserts.

Pros: Healthy ingredients, Fresh ans abundant, Tasty

Cons: None!!

Sweet Potato Corn Bread!!! - Edit

I couldn't help but name this review after my favorite item there. It has been some years since I have gone being that I'm no longer in the Atlanta area, but I do miss this restaurant so much just for my sweet potato corn bread! lol This is a Caribbean vegan restaurant. Humbly-sized with tables in the back and tall tables and chairs in the front. Very chill. They have both raw and cooked selections. The raw items include breakfast on certain days I think. My favorite raw menu items were the avocado seaweed wrap and the spicy kale! Delicious! Of the cooked items they sell such items as curry chunks and rice and peas. I wasn't too crazy over the cooked items, though. Customer service was ALWAYS friendly!

Pros: sweet potato corn bread, 100% vegan, friendly staff

Cons: not a large selection

Nice suprise - Edit

I visited Atlanta and was happy my family knew where this place was. It was great to sit and eat without playing twenty questions or worrying about getting sick. The food was great. Even to the meat eaters with me liked it. It was fun introducing them to food options they had not considered. I would/will definitly go there again.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 20, 2013

Pros: great food, great hours, friendly staff

Cons: limited meal choice

Great meal. Good price. - Edit

I'm a very frequent traveler who lives in California but whose work takes me to much of the U.S. and occasionally overseas. I use Happy Cow to find places to eat and have very good experiences. This one was no different. Healthful Essence is a good vegan restaurant - a bit offbeat as almost all of them are and some might be put off by the location, but shouldn't be. It's off the beaten path, but worth the trip. Healthful Essence offers a range of both cooked and raw vegan entrees and sides. I had the curry ungoat over rice and peas. I asked for collard greens but was told they had kale instead on this occasion. That suited me just fine. The curry was not overly soupy - which I appreciated. The rice was sticky and tasty, balancing the curry ungoat. The kale was freshly cooked, not at all overdone (a frequent problem with "greens" especially in the South) and very tasty. The portions were generous and for this 3 course meal, my cost was $12.95 - a very fair price, especially in Atlanta. Thanks Healthful Essence for a great meal, and thanks Happy Cow for another great recommendation.

Pros: Good food/portions, Fair Price, Friendly staff

Cons: Neighborhood

Return to Atlanta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Healthful Essence closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.