First Review by lmzeigler

practically anything a vegan would want - Edit

The grocery store has just about all foods that a vegan would be looking for. Produce, dairy and meat alternatives, starches, and even a variety of vegan junk food. I didn't look into the prepared food that much but they have a lot of vegan options that look really good and are clearly labeled. They also have food you can order like smoothies, juice, and other things, many of the options being vegan

Hawaiian Moons - Edit

Hawaiian Moons, has some health food, but it also sells meat, Dairy, and it is all mixed together in the same area. This store is also very pricey. They are about to expand so I hop they will have more vegetarian options, and less meat in the future.

I inquired about a special chocolate they had on display, and it turns out to be Bacon flavored chocolate, which they highly recommended to me. Chocolate made with real bacon!!

Pros: Some healthy food options., Only "health food" mart in Kihei.

Cons: They sell various meat products. , They sell Chocolate made with real bacon!!

Sehr gut sortierter kleiner Supermarkt - Edit

Für eine vegane Ernährung findet man hier alle notwendigen Produkte zu für Maui vergleichsweise günstigen Preisen. Unser Lieblingsbrot gab es hier z.B. für $1 weniger als im Supermarkt in Lahaina.

Pros: vegane Angebote

Nice hidden gem - Edit

I enjoyed having a tinier version of Whole Foods closer to where I was staying. The first visit I was searching for aloe vera gel for my insane sunburn. I found what I was looking for an a lot of other awesome stuff. They had a little hot food bar in the middle of the store which I am sure is nice if you eat meat. The cashier was helpful and really nice on my first visit. Unfortunately on my second visit the female cashier wasn't very friendly and seemed like she couldn't wait to go back to her conversation and wanted me to get out. I tried not to let that tarnish my view though. The place was pretty awesome in the end.

Pros: Decent selection, Locallly grown organic macadamia nuts, Didn't have to drive to Kahului

Cons: Rude cashier, A little small, Could be pricey on certain items

Little health food store in Kihei - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow many years before, and have shopped and gotten grab and go food on 2 two past trips to Maui island. Was just here again in December 2012, and here's my Hawaiian Moons review update.

This store is small and stocks a range of grocery & natural foods, plus it has a hot foods & salad bar. In the very early days, there were more vegetarian/vegan hot food options, but it was so on my last 2 visits. Vegetarians and vegans can still get food from the salad bar (a bit boring), or in the fridge you'll find a pre-made veggie sandwich or two. Other than that, not so much. The store has added more meat stuff to the hot food section it seems.

You'll probably find a vegan cookie amongst the baked goods.

Definitely go before lunch hour if you want something from the hot foods bar; otherwise, the selection will be meager and appear "old".

Price-wise, the grocery items are on the pricier side. But this is Kihei, a tourist mecca.

The location is very convenient. It's just across the street from the ocean in a shopping plaza with ample parking. Next door is a Maui Tacos where you can get a fast veggie burrito (we did a couple times, but both times weren't good).

Hawaiian Moons - Edit

I stayed in Wailea for a long period of time and Hawaiian Moons was within two miles of the resort I stayed at, needless to say, I stopped in Hawaiian Moons more than I cared to. HM has a good selection of vegetarian/vegan items, they even have grab and go sandwiches as well as a hot and a cold bar. I ate from the cold bar most times, although the food was not spectacular, nor were their premade sandwiches - the vegan sandwich was lackluster. The hot bar always seemed to be closed, so I cannot comment on that. However, I really did love the fruits at HM, the dragon fruit and apple bananas were quite tasty.

decent for a stop - Edit

We stopped here for drinks and tofu. The tofu was hard to find (its in the produce section whereas the meats are literally front and center). Other than that the place was fine. They have a $1 off coupon online for their hot bar, which we gave away since we just ate at Joy's. Their prices were surprisingly low actually.

Pros: prices, nice folks

Cons: meat is front & center

Great place for lunch - Edit

We had lunch there - designed our meal from their cold and hot salad barrs and it was really tasty and inexpensive. Remember, at a pay by weight buffet, you don't load up your plate like you would in an all you can eat buffet. We ate our lunch at a picnic table at the beach across the street. Would definitely go there again!

Pricey! - Edit

I was happy to find a place to buy vegan items on my vacation in Kihei, but man this place is expensive! It made my Whole Foods in Los Angeles look like a good deal. I ended up not buying anything because I just couldn't justify the prices. It's too bad because they have a nice selection of items.

Pros: Selection, Convenient location

Cons: EXPENSIVE, Carries meat

Return to Kihei Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hawaiian Moons closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1112 times since Aug 2007.