hashtag food

+32-50707670

Scheepsdalelaan 37, Bruges, Belgium, 8000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Labels dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free and vegetarian options in the menu. Relocated from Oude Burg 30. Open Mon 12:00pm-2:00pm, 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thu-Sat 12:00pm-2:00pm, 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-2:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Western, Mediterranean, European, Non-veg

First Review by Sanitarium

Fabulous vegan menu! 5 stars - Edit

Update:
Has moved to the edge of the city end 2017.
Nicely renovated place.
Again, we had a lovely 3 course lunch. Main dishes 19-20€. Or you can get a surprise vegan menu.
Lunch 2 course on Thursday is always vegan (17€). Expensive desserts (12€) but delicious.

Lovely presentations, all is homemade! even de breadbuns, and aquafaba meringues!

+++++++++
We have been here several times, and love the food.
Staff is very friendly, and knowledgeable about vegan.
Everything is freshly prepared, even the bread buns.

Every dish is a true piece of art, love the presentation, the variety, the colours!

I want to give it a 5 star rating, but that seems only to be possible for fully vegan restaurants.

Hashtag Food is moving to another location at the edge of the city and will reopen mid November 2017.

This is our last review from the old location, in the city center:

Updated from previous review on 2017-09-28

Pros: vegan menu standardly available, great variety, original, lovely presentation, friendly

Lovely vegan lunch - Edit

Their new location is very nice. And I like their food options for vegans. Apparently Thursday is Vegan Lunch day. That was very good. We had a soup with main dish for €17. Good price. And it tasted good too. They put a lot of effort in their food. Maybe sometimes too much? My friends say. But still a place a recommend and very kind staff. Btw. THEY ARE NOT LOCATED IN THE CENTER OF BRUGES ANYMORE. now they are located near Scheepsdalebrug.

Pros: vegan lunch and main dishes

Incredibly fresh - Edit

Came in this restaurant by coincidence: the flowers on the window attracted to stumble in. Nice waiter, friendly and kind. Food was absolutely delicious: as fresh as possible and with so much variation. Lots of veggies I've never seen before. The vegan options are pretty crazy for a medieval town: all the tapas are vegan (1 is veggie), all desserts are vegan and we've tried 2 of them (chocolate pie and tiramisu) and they were so good. The burger is amazing: so much variety, so hearty. Definitely recommended!

Pros: friendly waiter, absolutely fresh food, big portions

Cons: none

Gross and Nasty - Edit

The 18€ burgers are no better than the cardboard tasting frozen variety you can get at a grocery store. They charge 4-5€ extra for potato wedges that are greasy and repeat on you.

[edit by staff - see tos]

Plus, when I got the bill, they added a surprise charge of 1€ per glass of tap water. I also overheard another angry customer complain about a "take away charge"! They have some nerve to nickel and dime their customers after serving that slop and treating them so rudely!

[edit by staff - see tos]

Pros: Vegan offerings

Cons: Lousy food, Expensive

5 Responses

DeFoodlover 16 Jan 2017 - Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for your clear view on our restaurant, without even visiting us :)
If you were really in our restaurant, you would have noticed that we serve vegan burgers made from rice, chick peas, corn, psyllium husk, nettle, wild garlic, tumeric, vegetables and 15 other natural ingredients, not really like the ones you buy at the grocery store, also because I make the buns myself with the best ingredients. If you were really in our restaurant, you would have seen that we charge €3,5 for wedge potatoes, which can't be greasy, as we don't even use any oil to bake them in the oven. If you were really in our restaurant, you would have seen that we charge €1 for tapwater and that it is clearly indicated in our menu (even twice...). If you were really in our restaurant, you would not have heard anyone complaining about the take away charge, as this is only on TripAdvisor and this person didn't mention us that she wasn't happy with it. People better take a look on some fair reviews on other sites: that's the only correct point you have in your review: when you look at any reviewsite, you'll see that the only terrible experiences in our restaurant, were from people that didn't eat with us, people only having side dishes (maybe a friend of yours, no?) and people only wanting a drink... And yes, I found another correct point in your review: people that are your friends and have the same opinion about us, shouldn't come in. We are happy with our local clients, with our returning tourists (strange they return after eating crappy food, no?), and our one-time-happy-customers. I am really glad you helped out a friend of yours and that read our reviews on that other stupid review site, but trust me: eventhough we sound rude in responding to this ridiculous reviews, we are still normal people, offering good food and making people happy. Everyone has the right to have an opinion, but it doesn't mean every opinion is right :)
Have a great day and the day you actually visit us, you may write an honest review!

ElizabethVegan7 17 Jan 2017 - There is seriously something wrong with the response to this and the responses to anyone who has been even slightly critical of hashtag food (and there have been many). There is even a fair 3-star review that the owner lambastes.

I encourage people to view the proprietors' responses and judge for themselves. This is indicative of the service you can expect to receive.

Think about it - what the owner is saying is that any person who has left a negative review of their restaurant, including myself, could not possibly have visited - that their review must be bogus.

I can guarantee to anyone reading this that my review is legitimate. I did visit the restaurant less than a month ago, and it was a terrible experience.

The owner should realize that he does himself a disservice by blasting anyone who dares to tell the truth. He would be better served letting it go, as he is exposing himself as temperamental, which is not a quality one wants in a restaurant owner.

DeFoodlover 17 Jan 2017 - Elizabeth,

Please, be honest with yourself... You make a profile here, assuming you're from Albany, the first country you can select when you need to select a country and you don't fill in anything on your profile and you still want to tell people your review is honest?
I already know that you are friends with one of our reviewers on TripAdvisor and you guys are trying to bring us down, but trust me: it won't work.
I encourage people NOT to check our last reviews from the last month, which are mostly written by people who didn't have any respect, I don't even encourage people to read the good and excellent reviews (which are actually the 90% on EVERY website), but I encourage people to VISIT our restaurant, and EXPERIENCE our service and food.
If I wasn't temperamental, I wouldn't make food with this much pasison, we wouldn't give a service as personal as ours. We know we are doing a good job and your opinion won't change that. I hope people get curious after reading these lies and they actually try our restaurant with a clear view and believe me: they will experience something else than the things you and your friends are writing about us. And for now, I am done with you and your friends: I'm waiting for all the other fake reviews you'll write about us, from behind your desk, anonymous in Albany :) Really childish, but idd effective.

ElizabethVegan7 18 Jan 2017 - Your restaurant is ok but you need to do some self reflection. You appear to be angry with your life. Albany is the capital of NY USA. Get a life and improve your restaurant so others will visit. Brugee is a beautiful place and we loved our visit - hope this helps

DeFoodlover 18 Jan 2017 - That's cool. Let's conclude that you are right and I am wrong :)

Great options for vegan & vegetarian! - Edit

This restaurant has some meat and fish options, but it has great vegetarian and vegan dishes on their menu too. In the tapa section, half of the tapas are veggie or vegan. In main dishes, they have 6 vegan options and always some suggestions. Even half of the desserts are vegan :)
On their menu, you will find all information on allergenes in every dish, with a simple icon system. Really nice.
Everything in their menu is based on music: the dishes are called after songs and their is always a connection between the song and the dish. To give you 2 examples: the 'Paint it black' (Rolling Stones) is a vegan pie with dark (black) chocolate 80% and the 'Iron Sky' (Paulo Nuttini) is a vegan burger with extra iron in it (hummus, green peas, beans, ...)
If you can't choose from all their options, they also have a 'promenade': you don't know what you're going to get in 3 courses, but I can assure you that you'll love it!

Pros: Lot of variation, changing menu every season, Very fresh food with original presentation, Friendly service with a big smile

Cons: Small, so make a reservation, Visibility on the outside: search a little

so so so so good for a vegan - Edit

I was skeptical coming to Bruge what my options would be but this is a HAVEN. Best Vegan burger I've ever had and I am so so so pleased. Service is so kind and so many options on the menu for anyone which is helpful since not everyone in my family is vegan. This is a GEM. MUST GO

Pros: choices, vegan, service

Style over substance - Edit

Nice terrace and impressive looking menu with various vegan options. The food was nice and tasty, a little unusual, but was more style over substance - hence a high price for what was effectively burger and chips. Enjoyed a nice tasty lunch however.

Pros: Stylish and clean with an outside terrace, Tasty food, Good vegan options

Cons: Serves meat, Style over substance, Expensive

Perfect Vegan Lunch - Edit

Here on our honeymoon and had the loveliest of lunches. I had the 'Daddy Cool' which is the chef's surprise menu of starter, main and dessert. It was delicious! See photos as it all looked just as amazing as it tasted!

Pros: vegan friendly - somewhat a rarity in Bruges.

Cons: not closer to our home town of Henley on Thames, U

Nice! - Edit

Lovely place and very neat. Although they serve meat, they also advertise on their menu with a vegan surprisemenu for people who think vegan is "boring". The menu states clearly the ingredients (e.g. Vegetarian, Vegan) and has multiple vegan options for starters, main course and desert.

Return to Bruges Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has hashtag food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.