Harvest Vegetarian Bistro

Contact 69915056221

Karmeliterplatz 1, Vienna, Austria, 1020

Vegetarian bistro with family atmosphere, operating since 2012. Offers a buffet of international as well western cuisine and desserts. Saturday and Sunday brunch til 4pm. Accepts reservations. Public transit: U2, Linie 2, bus 5a. Mon-Tue 11:00am-11:00pm, Thu-Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-6:00pm Closed Wed.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Organic, Raw, Buffet, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, European, Fusion, Austrian

First Review by CeciliaTegner

Meh - Edit

No problem with the waiters and waitresses, however the food was quite unmemorable: some vegetable ghee with I don't remember what as a starter, a very standard veg stir-fry as a main course, and a pannacotta that could have been made by a 15-year-old... much like the rest of my food. All in all, ok but expensive for what you get. At least they don't call themselves a restaurant.

Staff is dog-friendly but not human-friendly - Edit

The food (Brunch) was good, even though a bit overpriced vor Vienna standards.

BUT: It's only for people who REALLY REALLY REALLY love dogs. If you're afraid of them, or allergic, or if you just prefer food without dog hair, you should definitely avoid harvest. You should also avoid it if you don't like being yelled at by waitresses.

When we were there, the waitress' dog was running around everywhere – at the buffet, between our legs, ... When we asked the waitress about it, she only said "This is a dog-friendly place" (it didn't say so anywhere – like they do at the cat café, for example). Since we already had our food at the time, we decided to leave it at that and not let it ruin our brunch. When the dog started prowling around our legs the next time, we just quietly said "Go away" – and suddenly the waitress was standing next to us, yelling at us and calling us "crazy".

We tried to talk to her boss later, before leaving, and told her that the waitress' tone was absolutely inappropriate and that it also might be a good idea to just put a sign up somewhere (they have lots of stuff written all over the windows anyway) – that way potential customers would know what to expect, and Harvest would get the dog-loving customers they want and not people who might be afraid of or allergic to dogs. The boss didn't seem to understand our points.

Pros: Food is alright

Cons: Overpriced, Dog running around everywhere, leaving its hair ev, Waitress extremely unfriendly, yelling at customer

Brunch till you drop - Edit

I love their vegan brunch (everything is vegan there except for the cow's milk that you can choose for your coffee). You can just eat and eat and eat for hours... It's so good! They have cold and warm sweet and savoury stuff. Be sure to make a reservation, it's really crowded on brunch days.
Never go there otherwise though because it's a tad too expensive for my taste.

Pros: Really good brunch, Nice variation

Cons: A bit expensive, Serves cow's milk

All vegan as far as I could tell! - Edit

Set just off the main road Taborstrasse Harvest enjoys a spacious pavement area in front of the cafe with plants and seating for eating outside. It chose to rain when I visited. Inside is a mix of twee, old school veggie cafe and Viennanese kitsch. Sounds terrible But it's actually quite nice!
The menu has English translations though I think their definition of fried tofu crumble is in fact scrambled tofu so beware mistranslations!
What we had was good and well done. The buffet is not by any means extensive in its choices but if you like the options it's a good quality deal. My comrade had the goulash and it was a meat and gravy feast, he also chose well with the tiramisu which despite cheating by using French toast as a base was delightfully light, flavoursome - rummmy and not too sweet or rich. I had a sugar free apple cake that was more like a succulent thick flapjack and I enjoyed it with some added cream.
They offer a full eat as much as you like buffet for 15.50 euros (about £12) but my guess is that the large plate option would be enough for most folks.
As with most cafes they bring the milk for your tea in silly small jugs more fitting for a dolls house than a two cup pot of tea but they were happy to refill it with either, rice, soya or almond milk.
I look forward to trying out more from the interesting Harvest menu on my next visit to Vienna.

Pros: Interesting quality food, Friendly spacious environment, Not too expensive

Cons: Toilet access up stairs, Not enough sugar free desserts!

vantastissiso! - Edit

Ich liebe euren Brunch! ich war bereits mehrere Male hier (jedes Mal wenn ich in Wien bin) und bin jedes mal wieder begeistert; Wahnsinns-auswahl und alles super lecker. gerne immer wieder...

Pros: viel Auswahl, frisch, fein und der Preis dafür abs

Cons: an der Inneneinrichtung könnte man mal was machen,

One of the nicest vegan cafés in Vienna! - Edit

I love Harvest Café and have already been there quite a number of times. They have a big selection of delicious vegan cakes, refreshing homemade lemonade and most of all a very relaxed and cozy atmosphere. Definitely worth a (or many) visit(s)! :-)

Pros: large variety of delicious cakes, great atmosphere

Lovely atmosphere, tasty food, friendly staff - Edit

I highly recommend this place. It has a cosy and warm atmosphere, with comfy chairs, nice decoration, and everything that just make you want to stay there. I went here twice, which is exceptional for me when I'm on a vacation. First time, on a Saturday, I enjoyed the brunch, which had lots of food to choose from, and delicious too. If you have the time, especially when you're with friends, go here in the weekend to just take your time and have a relaxed brunch (I believe it's about 15 euros and you can refill and try everything from the buffet that you want). Second time I went was on a Monday, when there's no brunch, but I had the buffet (with less choice, but cheaper) which was also very good. Alternatively, there's a menu one could choose from. So plenty of options. Last but not least, the staff were most friendly and helpful!

Pros: lovely atmosphere, tasty food, friendly staff

Really nice and original cuisine - Edit

Really loved that place! The owner is really nice : we've been to that place few times during our journey and one time it was so full, but he managed to find us a place. Quick service despite the popularity! At Harvest you will find vegan cuisine but really different from other places and also original! Not expensive!

A comfy place to enjoy delicious food - Edit

By style, this place represents a stylish viennese bistro, flowing with the atmosphere of the city. Food wise, they have a creative selection of vegan and vegeterian meals with labels in the menu. The staff was very friendly and ready to help. Portions were standard, serving time fast. The desserts were done very nicely and tasted very good, tiramisu in perticular.
No negative things to be said about this place, all in all a pleasant experience.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Tasty, Friendly and helpful staff

Friendly, tasty, cozy - but not completely vegan - Edit

I went here for the brunch on a saturday. Usually it's all you can eat for 14,40 €, but since I wasn't hungry, they made an exception for me, and I could just get a single plate for 7,70€. All of the food was tasty and varied. All labels had allergens clearly marked. The staff was very friendly, and I felt very comfortable in the place. The only downside is that they actually have a few dairy products, but it seems impossible to get one of them by accident.

Pros: friendly, nice vibe, very tasty

Cons: Not completely vegan

Simply amazing!!!!!!!! - Edit

This is the best veggie experience I had in Vienna! I tried 4 different veg places in 4 days, and this was the last one. I simply loved it.

I had dinner at Harvest yesterday with two non-vegetarian friends. We all had different dishes (the evening menu has a list of 5 or 6 small dishes and 5 or 6 main dishes), and we were all satisfied at the end. The beer was very good, and I cannot even describe how good the vegan tiramisu (called "tiramisoy") was...!!! Actually, I bought another slice to take away, this is certainly the best vegan tiramisu I ever ate.

A friend of mine got the panna cotta (called "manna cotta") and said it was also very good.

Simply put, this place is amazing. The atmosphere is lovely, the food is good, and it's also cheaper than other vegetarian restaurants in town: the tiramisoy is 3.90EUR, the main dishes are around 9EUR, and the (big) beer is 3.60EUR.

Super-recommended!!!!!

Pros: Amazing food, Nice atmosphere, The tiramisoy!!!

Atmospheric, with great food - Edit

We had dinner here and were almost the only diners, so it was peaceful.
There are lots of candles lit which made for a beautiful atmosphere.
The food was delicious and well done.
I had the lemongrass/ginger/coconut cream curry (€9.90) and my husband had the dhal (€8.80). Both very good.
Lunch prices are less.
The waiter we met was very friendly and spoke good English.
A good place for either lunch or dinner.

Pros: Delicious food, Lovely atmosphere, Friendly staff

Lovely atmosphere - Edit

I visited Harvest last year, during my summer holidays. It's a small cafe with a lovely atmosphere and nice people. I tried the tofu scramble and some of the sandwiches and i absolutely loved all of tchem.

Pros: food, location, atmosphere

Cons: the lights were a bit dim

Really lovely and tasty restaurant - Edit

This place is really unique i think, i like the decoration and the crew is really nice, just, only the woman who serve speak english, the cook and the helper speak slovak, german etc

The meal was so tasty and looks awesome!

I want to come back again there :D

A chance to sample local-style dishes - Edit

This was very near to our hotel (Adagio) so we were able to stagger there for a late meal after a day's sightseeing. I phoned and made a reservation although I'm not sure it was necessary on a rainy weekday evening.

The staff were welcoming and there was a good choice of main courses. I had goulash plus dumplings preceded by the soup of the day which was sweet potato and ginger, I think. Everything was tasty and fresh, and it was nice to sample local-style cuisine in the goulash and dumplings (which were nice and light compared with British dumplings!). I would like to go back next visit and try the curries etc.

One thing to note, which isn't at all a criticism of this restaurant: a number of veg*n adaptations of local cuisine available in Viennese restaurants rely on TVP so if like me you get indigestion from that, order carefully.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 02, 2015

Pros: Welcoming, Vegan friendly, Near historic centre

Funky and Fun Vegan Bistro - Edit

This is a funky little vegan bistro. The woman who owns the restaurant, Viola, is warm, welcoming, and you can just tell the food is made with love. We had the buffet and the gnocchi was delicious, the tofu scramble was terrific, the sweet potatoes were yummy, and the vegan seafood stew great. It is a fun place and there are many vegan cakes to choose from. We had to take ours home since we were too stuffed to eat the cake there.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious Food , Funky and interesting

amazing cakes - Edit

i love this place!
reasonable prices and it offers a good range of food. you should definitely try the cakes - all of them.
i also like that harvest is open in the evening/night, when other good vegan options are already closed.
still have to try the brunch.. ;)

Pros: amazing food and cakes

Cons: no free tap water, they offer cow's milk for coffee

Great place - Edit

The owner was very friendly and the place invited you to stay and linger. It is all vegan and the food is tasty. I had the roasted dumplings with a big salad and as a dessert they even had traditional poppy seed cake (Mohntorte) - heaven! Also not expensive.

Pros: Great cake, Friendly staff, Not too expensive

Weekend Brunch! - Edit

14€ for weekend Brunch. All of it was amazing. Especially the Chicken/mushroom thing they had.
Waitress was lovely and didn't mind speaking English.

Pros: Gluttonous Brunch

Cons: Not Much In The Area

It's worth it - Edit

The soup of the day which I took, artichokes soup with aloe vera, was as exceptional as gorgeous. Almost out-of-the-world-good, I ate it to the last drop.
Then I had a burger, served with nachos, which was pretty good.
The venue itself was clean and nice with a Viennese coffeehouse atmosphere and much space.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Definitely a recommendation!
I wouldn't call it inexpensive though, rather moderate.

Pros: much space, coffeehouse atmosphere, amazing soup

Poor breakfast on Saturdays. - Edit

We went here for having a breakfast on a Saturday morning. The breakfast menu was pretty poor and confusing because you can't identify what is offered for breakfast. (They didnt have clubsandwiches for breakfast.) A little portion of scrambled tofu for 7 € is pricy. We had some (dinkel) toasts as well, with some humus and some aditional chocolate cream (2,2 €). All in all: Nice location. Improvements needs to be done.

The Brunch on Sundays and public holiday would probably have been the better alternative.

Pros: Hey, its vegan!, Friendly Service

Cons: No Sandwiches for breakfast, Little Portions (scrambled tofu), pricy

SidData Dear Floyd205

we are sorry you did not like our offer

for the Breakfast we serve:
Scrambled Tofu, for 6,60 with spelt-toast
2-3 marmelades
Peanut butter
Chocolate cream
Hummous, indian pickles
our vegan tartar with big caper berries
Spelt-Toast and Wheat breads from our friendly Labschütz Craft-Bakery
Fresh Fruit Salad
Muesli with Soyghurt
and from 11am on you can get our healthy hot Soup, the Clubtoast or Burger and the Döner, mostly from this time on we can offer aswell our daily changing dish

have a good time, hopefully you visit us again
Bye
the first harvest-slave

Great food - Edit

Harvest was a pleasant restaurant to visit! Call ahead to reserve, just in case, because it can get busy. The inside was a bit dull and gloomy looking, but once the food arrived, the mood changed. The portions were very large, so don't overdo it, but if you're with a large group, try ordering a couple dishes to share, just to experience the diversity. The food was very light in the stomach (not too fatty and no food hangover). I shared some dishes with my parents; seitan doner, lentil salad, German curry with almond millet, and a chocolate and chili cake. Bring cash, because they don't take VISA. All in all, even though there were a couple tiny drawbacks, it was definitely worth it to visit, and I'd encourage anyone in Vienna to try out Harvest!

Pros: delicious food, large portions, food feels light in the stomach

Cons: dark inside, don't take VISA

especially good - Edit

Brilliant food here. My wife had the seitan kebab , well it was excellent and very tasty too.
I had tofu in some form, very small portion for some reason .
To get vegan tiramisu was a truly rare treat I must say, it was fantastic and was so more ish it was a delight. It was twice the size of my minute main course.
My wife had a nice dessert too, a crumble I think.
Why arent menus in English here?

Pros: vegan , tasty

Cons: expensive, no English menus

Veganes Lokal in ruhiger Lage - Edit

Short summary in english:
Great place with great atmosphere. At lunchtime a buffet is offered. In Summer on Weekends it is nice to sit outside at lovely karmeliter-plaza. All vegan. Brunch on sunday.

*********************************************************

Charmantes Lokal am hübschen Karmeliterplatz. Im Sommer stehen auch Sitz-Plätze draußen zur Verfügung.

Es gibt Frühstücksangebote, Mittagsmenü, Salate, selbstgemachte Mehlspeisen, Abendgericht und ein paar Gerichte à la carte.

Am Sonntag gibt es Brunch mit ausreichend veganem Angebot. War super lecker und die Auswahl mehr als ausreichend.

Generell werden so viel wie möglich Bio-, regionale- und Fairtrade Produkte verwendet.

Weitere Infos und Bilder hab ich auf meinem Blog (Link siehe Profil). Auch zu anderen veganen Lokalen (hauptsächlich Graz).

Enjoy!
Martina

Pros: Mo-So geöffnet, 100% vegan, gute Lage

Healthy, Relaxed Dining - Edit

We had two great meals at Harvest, buffet the first day for lunch and items from the menu the second day for dinner. There is ample indoor and outdoor seating. I definitely recommend the energy balls for dessert. We also had the coffee cake which was excellent. It's a relaxed, quiet restaurant with very helpful service. We had researched Harvest in advance on Happy Cow and were really pleased we did. It saved us from more pasta meals!

Great atmosphere - Edit

My husband and I visited in an evening, where there is a menu plus specials rather than the buffet that takes place at lunchtime. There was quite a large selection available despite it being close to the end of serving time (22:00, though the venue stays open as a bar until later), and the owner detailed the specials in person. He was very friendly, asking about our holiday as well as checking the food was ok and talking about the history of the restaurant; overall it was a very welcoming atmosphere, with candles and music-themed decoration.

Between us we tried dumplings, goulash, chocolate cake and a sugar-free, raw cake , all of which were of a great quality, and portion sizes were good. But in my opinion best of all had to be both flavours of the homemade lemonade.

Two mains, two desserts and four drinks came to around 30 Euros, which I would say is normal for Vienna, and it's in a central location, close to two U-Bahn stations.

To summarise: good food, good atmosphere, good value for money.

Pros: quality, atmosphere, location

Hot tip: Breakfast/Brunch - Edit

I've been there a couple of times and it was always really nice :) They are absolutely friendly there and I also loved the high walls and decoration inside and the nice location.

It's a graet place to have breakfast/brunch as they have a wide choice of very delicious vegan meals!

Prices are still okay.. The only critical point is the small coffee, but that is just my opinion.

All thumps up :)

Pros: super delicious food, decoration, friendly staff

very good - Edit

The soup was outof this world good
The spinatknodel were well heavy as they would be bur soooooo good and wonderfully peppered from within
The salad was my disappointment because they are on the vinegar but the chef offered me some carrots strangly overdosed on lemon instead (what is it with people s need to acidice sooo much something so pure?:-( )
Great staff

Awesome - Edit

We went there today and ate on the all you can eat buffet. It was awesome, the whole buffet and all cakes were vegan and everything was very very tasty.
If you have the chance to go there, do it! :)
But If you want to eat there on a weekend (saturday or sunday) make a reservation first because it may be very crowded.

Vegan dream:) - Edit

This place is absolutely fabulous. All vegan. And all delicious. The athmosphere is really nice.Super healthy and super tasty. Not too salty (for the soup and main dish) but with a great mix of spices and not too sweet (for the desert). Great food. Great and friendly staff. Small restaurant with nice athmosphere. Prices are ok ( less than 10 euros for main dish; around 3 euros for desert/soups/side dishes). This is a place where you can easily invite non-vegetarian and non-vegan people.

Refueling after a long walk through Vienna - Edit

A good place to refuel after a long walk through the streets of Vienna. That's what my wife and I did few days ago. It was beautiful Sunday October day, and this restaurant was great choice. We came almost at a closing time, but we get very warm welcome, and very warm supper as well. The place has a nice interior and a few nice tables and seats outside. Food is delicious and there are many choices. Beer is also good. But the best thing was french vegetable soup. Harvest is my honest recommendation for everyone who visits or lives in Vienna.

Outstanding!! - Edit

Where do I start?...I am a vegan and an foodie and I absolutely love this shabby chic restaurant. We ate there three times out of the four days we stayed in Vienna. The food is amazing!. According to the waitress, the owner allows chefs from different ethnic backgrounds to cook there. The last day we were in Vienna we decided to have lunch and went back. That particular day the chef was from Bosnia. She or he veganized the recipes and they were.delicious! Every dish was a party of incredible tasty flavors. We had a lunch buffet which could or not include soup which they were also super delicious. The food is fresh, well made and the staff was friendly-the waitress spoke good English. The atmosphere is cute and cozy.I also got lucky one of the opportunities we were there and met “Lola”, the waitress ‘French bulldog (if you are a vegan you won't mind to take your pet to work).
If I ever go to Vienna again, I will definitely go back. If you are looking for an excellent, extremely tasty and affordable meal in a cozy atmosphere..This is the place!.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 01, 2013

Updated from previous review on Thursday October 03, 2013

Updated from previous review on Thursday October 03, 2013

Pros: Great delicious meals, Cozy athmosphere-friendly staff, good value

Chic veg rest! - Edit

Super cute, shabby chic vegan rest. We really enjoyed, the location is really well done, nice choice for fornitures and 'chic touches all around' (old sewing Singer machine as a small table). The menu is great with special vegan dishes and special dayly menus.
Nice choice also for desserts and drinks.
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 29, 2013

Pros: Atmosphere , Good menù, Kidness of the staff

Cons: Not english menù, but they translate it

Great! - Edit

I was two days in this place during my last visit to Wien. I highly recommend it, lots of vegan options and friendly staff. Try their vegan cakes!

Pros: Vegan Options, Atmosphere , Cakes

Highly recommended! - Edit

A friend and I had dinner here last week and really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. The staff were really friendly, helpful and spoke good English.
The vegan carrot and chocolate cake was served with a pot of whipped soy cream and was simply amazing.
If I am ever in Vienna again I will definitely revisit.

Pros: fresh, lots of vegan options, friendly staff

Cons: too far from home to visit regularly!

Great brunch! - Edit

Went for brunch here. Many vegan options, great doughnuts and super friendly! Different choices and prices to the self serve depending on how hungry you are. Highly recommend it!

Pros: Good value, Great taste

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Harvest Vegetarian Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 16905 times since Mar 2013.