Harvest Cafe Bistrot

Karmeliterplatz 1, Vienna, Austria, 1020

Bistro with family atmosphere, operating since 2012 and vegan since 2016. Offers a buffet of international as well daily-changing dishes of western cuisine and desserts. Saturday, Sunday and holidays all-vegan brunch 10am til 4pm. Accepts reservations. Public transit: U2, Linie 2, bus 5a. Open Mon-Tue 11:00am-11:00pm, Wed 11:00am-6:00pm, Thu-Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-6:00pm. Closed Wed.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Raw, Buffet, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, European, Fusion, Austrian

First Review by CeciliaTegner

eat for hours without time limit - Edit

Visited Vienna for the second time and my friend reserved for the vegan brunch. As stated before, you can eat for hours without time limit! I loved trying everything! Sweet, sour, warm, cold.
Chai latté with soymilk was also great.

Staff was friendly as well.

Pros: Eat without timelimit, Alot of options

Cons: Small tables but not a real problem

worth trying! - Edit

I had a Punschcake which was amazing. It was baked by Nomnom bakery. The brunch looked very tasty but I was not hungry enough to try. The price for the brunch is 16,80 euros which is not cheap.
The place itself is very comfy and nice to sit down.

Pros: good variation for brunch

Cons: a bit expensive

Vegan brunch, yay! - Edit

This cute vegan find was a great experience - helpful service and delicious food. The weekend all vegan brunch was fantastic and had so many options to choose from (sweet and savoury). Love it is also dog friendly. Good location near the city centre!

Pros: Tasty food (and generous amounts), Dog friendly, Location and staff

Meh - Edit

No problem with the waiters and waitresses, however the food was quite unmemorable: some vegetable ghee with I don't remember what as a starter, a very standard veg stir-fry as a main course, and a pannacotta that could have been made by a 15-year-old... much like the rest of my food. All in all, ok but expensive for what you get. At least they don't call themselves a restaurant.

Staff is dog-friendly but not human-friendly - Edit

The food (Brunch) was good, even though a bit overpriced vor Vienna standards.

BUT: It's only for people who REALLY REALLY REALLY love dogs. If you're afraid of them, or allergic, or if you just prefer food without dog hair, you should definitely avoid harvest. You should also avoid it if you don't like being yelled at by waitresses.

When we were there, the waitress' dog was running around everywhere – at the buffet, between our legs, ... When we asked the waitress about it, she only said "This is a dog-friendly place" (it didn't say so anywhere – like they do at the cat café, for example). Since we already had our food at the time, we decided to leave it at that and not let it ruin our brunch. When the dog started prowling around our legs the next time, we just quietly said "Go away" – and suddenly the waitress was standing next to us, yelling at us and calling us "crazy".

We tried to talk to her boss later, before leaving, and told her that the waitress' tone was absolutely inappropriate and that it also might be a good idea to just put a sign up somewhere (they have lots of stuff written all over the windows anyway) – that way potential customers would know what to expect, and Harvest would get the dog-loving customers they want and not people who might be afraid of or allergic to dogs. The boss didn't seem to understand our points.

Pros: Food is alright

Cons: Overpriced, Dog running around everywhere, leaving its hair ev, Waitress extremely unfriendly, yelling at customer

Brunch till you drop - Edit

I love their vegan brunch (everything is vegan there except for the cow's milk that you can choose for your coffee). You can just eat and eat and eat for hours... It's so good! They have cold and warm sweet and savoury stuff. Be sure to make a reservation, it's really crowded on brunch days.
Never go there otherwise though because it's a tad too expensive for my taste.

Pros: Really good brunch, Nice variation

Cons: A bit expensive, Serves cow's milk

All vegan as far as I could tell! - Edit

Set just off the main road Taborstrasse Harvest enjoys a spacious pavement area in front of the cafe with plants and seating for eating outside. It chose to rain when I visited. Inside is a mix of twee, old school veggie cafe and Viennanese kitsch. Sounds terrible But it's actually quite nice!
The menu has English translations though I think their definition of fried tofu crumble is in fact scrambled tofu so beware mistranslations!
What we had was good and well done. The buffet is not by any means extensive in its choices but if you like the options it's a good quality deal. My comrade had the goulash and it was a meat and gravy feast, he also chose well with the tiramisu which despite cheating by using French toast as a base was delightfully light, flavoursome - rummmy and not too sweet or rich. I had a sugar free apple cake that was more like a succulent thick flapjack and I enjoyed it with some added cream.
They offer a full eat as much as you like buffet for 15.50 euros (about £12) but my guess is that the large plate option would be enough for most folks.
As with most cafes they bring the milk for your tea in silly small jugs more fitting for a dolls house than a two cup pot of tea but they were happy to refill it with either, rice, soya or almond milk.
I look forward to trying out more from the interesting Harvest menu on my next visit to Vienna.

Pros: Interesting quality food, Friendly spacious environment, Not too expensive

Cons: Toilet access up stairs, Not enough sugar free desserts!

vantastissiso! - Edit

Ich liebe euren Brunch! ich war bereits mehrere Male hier (jedes Mal wenn ich in Wien bin) und bin jedes mal wieder begeistert; Wahnsinns-auswahl und alles super lecker. gerne immer wieder...

Pros: viel Auswahl, frisch, fein und der Preis dafür abs

Cons: an der Inneneinrichtung könnte man mal was machen,

One of the nicest vegan cafés in Vienna! - Edit

I love Harvest Café and have already been there quite a number of times. They have a big selection of delicious vegan cakes, refreshing homemade lemonade and most of all a very relaxed and cozy atmosphere. Definitely worth a (or many) visit(s)! :-)

Pros: large variety of delicious cakes, great atmosphere

Lovely atmosphere, tasty food, friendly staff - Edit

I highly recommend this place. It has a cosy and warm atmosphere, with comfy chairs, nice decoration, and everything that just make you want to stay there. I went here twice, which is exceptional for me when I'm on a vacation. First time, on a Saturday, I enjoyed the brunch, which had lots of food to choose from, and delicious too. If you have the time, especially when you're with friends, go here in the weekend to just take your time and have a relaxed brunch (I believe it's about 15 euros and you can refill and try everything from the buffet that you want). Second time I went was on a Monday, when there's no brunch, but I had the buffet (with less choice, but cheaper) which was also very good. Alternatively, there's a menu one could choose from. So plenty of options. Last but not least, the staff were most friendly and helpful!

Pros: lovely atmosphere, tasty food, friendly staff

Really nice and original cuisine - Edit

Really loved that place! The owner is really nice : we've been to that place few times during our journey and one time it was so full, but he managed to find us a place. Quick service despite the popularity! At Harvest you will find vegan cuisine but really different from other places and also original! Not expensive!

A comfy place to enjoy delicious food - Edit

By style, this place represents a stylish viennese bistro, flowing with the atmosphere of the city. Food wise, they have a creative selection of vegan and vegeterian meals with labels in the menu. The staff was very friendly and ready to help. Portions were standard, serving time fast. The desserts were done very nicely and tasted very good, tiramisu in perticular.
No negative things to be said about this place, all in all a pleasant experience.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Tasty, Friendly and helpful staff

Friendly, tasty, cozy - but not completely vegan - Edit

I went here for the brunch on a saturday. Usually it's all you can eat for 14,40 €, but since I wasn't hungry, they made an exception for me, and I could just get a single plate for 7,70€. All of the food was tasty and varied. All labels had allergens clearly marked. The staff was very friendly, and I felt very comfortable in the place. The only downside is that they actually have a few dairy products, but it seems impossible to get one of them by accident.

Pros: friendly, nice vibe, very tasty

Cons: Not completely vegan

Simply amazing!!!!!!!! - Edit

This is the best veggie experience I had in Vienna! I tried 4 different veg places in 4 days, and this was the last one. I simply loved it.

I had dinner at Harvest yesterday with two non-vegetarian friends. We all had different dishes (the evening menu has a list of 5 or 6 small dishes and 5 or 6 main dishes), and we were all satisfied at the end. The beer was very good, and I cannot even describe how good the vegan tiramisu (called "tiramisoy") was...!!! Actually, I bought another slice to take away, this is certainly the best vegan tiramisu I ever ate.

A friend of mine got the panna cotta (called "manna cotta") and said it was also very good.

Simply put, this place is amazing. The atmosphere is lovely, the food is good, and it's also cheaper than other vegetarian restaurants in town: the tiramisoy is 3.90EUR, the main dishes are around 9EUR, and the (big) beer is 3.60EUR.

Super-recommended!!!!!

Pros: Amazing food, Nice atmosphere, The tiramisoy!!!

Atmospheric, with great food - Edit

We had dinner here and were almost the only diners, so it was peaceful.
There are lots of candles lit which made for a beautiful atmosphere.
The food was delicious and well done.
I had the lemongrass/ginger/coconut cream curry (€9.90) and my husband had the dhal (€8.80). Both very good.
Lunch prices are less.
The waiter we met was very friendly and spoke good English.
A good place for either lunch or dinner.

Pros: Delicious food, Lovely atmosphere, Friendly staff

Lovely atmosphere - Edit

I visited Harvest last year, during my summer holidays. It's a small cafe with a lovely atmosphere and nice people. I tried the tofu scramble and some of the sandwiches and i absolutely loved all of tchem.

Pros: food, location, atmosphere

Cons: the lights were a bit dim

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Harvest Cafe Bistrot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 19073 times.