Harrison Street Cafe

402 N Harrison St, Richmond, Virginia, USA, 23220

Vegetarian breakfast and lunch cafe. Funky atmosphere with eclectic selection of books to read. Brunch on Saturday with an expanded breakfast. Local college hangout near Virginia Commonwealth University. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-2:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, Take-out, Breakfast

First Review by noah

jahubbard

Points +38

08 Sep 2020

Awesome food and service!

Tried this place for the first time today via curbside pickup. I had the chickpea burger, husband had the seitan gyro. We both loved the food!

kalypso

Points +85

28 Jan 2020

My favorite place!

I love this place! The sandwiches are awesome--the BBQ Tofu is GREAT! The breakfast burritos are awesome too!

The staff is really nice. The food is affordable.

Pros: locally owned, great sandwiches, nice staff

Cons: Weird hours - they are usually closed

mem2024

Points +356

18 Oct 2019

Easy, simple, delicious :)

This place is just a 5 min walk from my apartment, so I’m wondering why it took me so long to stop by!! Almost everything can be made vegan. They have weekly specials that’ll keep bringing me back for sure. They also have a fridge with sandwiches and snacks that are easy to grab and just take with you when you’re in a rush. It’s an adorable cafe to just listen to music and enjoy a cup of coffee or a meal while finishing up some work. Just make sure you get there before 2 or 3!! They close midday.

Pros: Completely vegetarian, Quick food, Simple but delicious

Cons: Close early

AlexaEllis

Points +72

04 May 2019

Best Veg Spot near Campus

My favorite cafe in Richmond to go to, I love their vegan breakfast burritos and their Tofu Steak sandwich! Their specials are always changing and never disappoint! Don’t forget dessert either, i love their chocolate chip cookie and pb oreo mousse pie. Plus their coffee is bomb! Best quick eats spot, or place to study just wish they were open longer!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Meat Free , Affordable

Cons: Close early

lilahcarroll

Points +16

21 Feb 2019

went for breakfast. SO GOOD

This place is absolutely amazing. I got the Make your own breakfast burrito with tofu scramble, potatoes, tomatoes, soysage, and caramelized onions and it was honestly the best breakfast burrito I’ve ever had. I also tried the soysage biscuit and the vegan french toast and was literally blown away. They had so many options and also had little bakery items, most of which were vegan. Will definitely be going back to eat more breakfast and try their lunch.

Pros: so delicious, reasonably priced

Cons: little seating

FalafelWaffle

Points +398

17 Feb 2019

Top notch

Deluxe vegan breakfast burrito is one of my favorite breakfast items around town. BBQ tofu sandwich is delicious too. Their baked goods are underrated too. I love their Oreo peanut butter cake and avocado fudge.

Pros: Everything’s delicious, Cheap

Cons: Closed Sundays and not open for dinner

ravendearly

Points +43

20 Dec 2018

Forever Favorite

This place has some of my most craved foods. The vegan soysage biscuits have the best breakfast soysage ever, sandwiches are on point, cheap as heck breakfast burritos that are actual perfection™️.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Lots of tables, Cheap

Cons: Closes fairly early , Parking is difficult sometimes

haircut

Points +110

01 Oct 2018

good

The vegan french toast is good and they have vegan sausage biscuits that are pretty good. Good teas and ruebens too.

MyGreenTongue

Points +470

15 Jun 2018

Lots of vegan options

Staff were friendly and there is a wide selection of vegan options. Most menu items can be made vegan. The vegan deluxe burrito was yummy.

Mitchel

Points +282

05 Jun 2018

Go early on Saturday!

And get the vegan biscuits and gravy...ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!

My favorite vegan breakfast meal in the city!

Pros: Great portions!!, Great sides!

gboysko

Points +57

20 Jan 2018

College nook with great eats

I had the tempeh zeppelin sandwich. Very delicious. This fits in perfectly in the local college setting.

AshleyBoutwell

Points +137

21 Jul 2017

solid cafe

I would say the food is average. My carnivore husband is in love with the biscuits and gravy.

Pros: yummy vegan pastries!

Cons: lunch options are a little bit or miss

CColors

Points +143

10 May 2017

French Toast too

Like most other reviews, we ordered vegan french toasts and they were delicious! Lots of cinnamon.

Pros: Nice front staff/cashier

Cons: Styrofoam packaging for to-go

alioco17

Points +30

11 Dec 2016

I can't believe they have so many good reviews. The place is disgusting.

I am amazed at all these great reviews. When I first had their french toast I was in heaven.... then I tried something else that was horrible and poorly made, then something else with the same experience. The layout is horrible which makes it hard to decide I want to eat there. Then if I do decide it is worth it, I sit down & start noticing how disgusting the place is. The staff is beyond nonchalant as far as caring about service and quality of the food. When sitting on the second floor, I could see their poor hygiene habits in the make-shift kitchen where they were eating on the food-making station (the long cutting board thing) and then not washing their hands, making food, handling money.

Pros: the french toast (which another reviewer pointed o

Cons: lack of cleanliness & careless staff, layout of building, food poorly made

Lauralei

Points +232

19 Aug 2016

Great lunch just off I-95!

Our family stopped here for lunch and were very pleased. The kids had the vegan French toast, which was fantastic. They also liked the soysauge patties. I had the fried tofu steak with vegan potato salad and my husband had a BBQ tofu sandwich with gazpacho and it was all very tasty. The place is not entirely vegan but everything that is is clearly labeled and there are plenty of vegan options. Our food arrived quickly and everything was hot and fresh. The prices were fair...$38 for 4 meals including tax and tip. We got some baked goods (blondes and a chocolate chip cookie) to go, and they were a bit lackluster. Next time we'd skip the desserts but I would definitely come back and really recommend this place if you're in the area.

Pros: good prices, fast service, delicious food

Cons: meh baked goods

NerdOnTheRun

Points +17

23 May 2016

Cute Cafe!

This weekend was only my second time visiting but both times there was such a good vibe from the place. It has vegan and vegetarian options and the menu is pretty clear about what's what. The vegan tofu and soysage breakfast burrito is really yummy and the staff is friendly. It's popular with limited hours tho so sometimes it's a little crowded. Clearly a well loved place. It can be a little confusing with a bit of a wait but still a yummy veg option.

daydreaminggiraffe

Points +45

17 May 2016

Adorable Little Cafe with Awesome Eats

I recently travelled to Richmond to visit a dear friend and had lunch with her at Harrison Street. She's been there many times and it is one of her favorite places to eat in the city.
She gave me a bite of her Red Lentil Burger and it was so delicious! Packed with lots of interesting and delicious curry flavors, I definitely would order it next time. I got the Tofu Steak Sandwich with the ginger miso sauce and it was equally delicious and amazing. Mine came with a small salad with a sunflower tahini dressing and some in-house made lemonade.
The food ended up being so good that when I was getting ready to travel home the next day, I stopped in again to get food for the trip home. They have several pre-made sandwiches and salads in the cold case as well as many vegan pastries ready to take away. I got the Vegan Curry Chik'n Salad sandwich, two vegan chocolate chip walnut cookies, and a vegan chocolate peanut butter cup. Everything was extremely reasonably priced (I live closer to New York City so I was floored by the $5 sandwich being absolutely incredible) and very delicious. I would definitely go again next time I'm in town!

Pros: cheap prices, yummy food, friendly staff

Cons: slightly longer wait

BettyHolzwarth

Points +26

28 Feb 2016

Not a good experience

The food was terrible, the restaurant was dirty and employees served food and took cash without washing hands or using gloves. How do they pass health inspections? I will not go there again! My French Toast was burnt, the vegan sausage was horrible! Not vegan or vegetarian because the sugar is Dominos bottom of the line refined sugar filtered through animal bones!

Cons: Unsanitary habits, Dirty restaurant, Not vegan or vegetarian, bone char sugar

Jonahtdb

Points +22

27 Jan 2016

Great neighborhood spot

The perfect spot for a quick sandwich, breakfast burrito or coffee. The vegan chocolate peanut-butter cups are really really good and the pre-made vegan tuna salad sandwiches are a deal and satiate my tuna cravings.

Pros: fast lunch, tons of vegan options, great sandwiches / salads

Cons: The buscuits and gravy are not good, Not open for dinner

bkrva

Points +34

14 Dec 2015

I can't go here often enough...

I used to hang out here a bit in college but by the time I went vegan years later I'd rather forgotten about it... sad it took me so long to go back! They have SO many delicious vegan options, including baked goods at the counter (The peanut butter cups are heavenly). The Full Throttle Chipotle Zeppelin and Tempeh Reuben are my favorite sandwiches so far. You may have to fight for parking but it's well worth it. The array of reading options available upstairs (including a plethora of local zines) is also top notch.

Pros: Options, options, options, Taste is divine

Cons: Not a lot of elbow room, Parking

shineonyou

Points +583

13 Nov 2015

Delicious vegetarian breakfast/lunch spot

I went here with a group of friends on a Saturday morning around 11:30am. There were other people there and it's not huge, but it was possible to get a seat.

Everyone liked their food. I had the red lentil burger and was not disappointed. Everything, including specials, are marked if vegan or can be made vegan, and there are many vegan options.

I would eat here all the time if I lived near it.

Guest

Points +

22 Oct 2015

It was worth the trip.

Driving down from DC to Richmond for work is a pain. Coming to the Harrison Street Coffee Shop made it all worth it. I wish I had more time to sample all they provided but I guarantee that my next visit will longer. This place is bound to be my version of Cheers.

Pros: Great Coffee, Fair Prices, Awesome Staff

Katie Le

Points +482

09 Oct 2015

super funky and yummy ! mostly vegan

This place clearly identifies many non vegan items; most of the menu is vegan. Fantastic find! Very cool coffee shop student-y locale too. Truly excellent!

Awoogala

Points +36

24 Jul 2015

Great food.

Tried this place for the first time with the whole family.
Small little coffee shop, close to VCU. Amazing food. We tried the spicy tempeh sub (nice kick) with side salad, an omelette breakfast sandwich for the egg eater, and another tempeh type sandwich. Everything was delicious! No idea how they make such great food in such a tiny kitchen!
Coffee is also excellent- nice selection of lattes/cappucinos,et. all made with non dairy milks.
Lots of ways to customize your meal, to make it vegan if you choose, pick your sides. We will return (though probably for takeout, since it's tiny for a group of 4)
You do need to order at the front and pay before sitting- good to check the menu before you arrive.

Pros: Great food/good for mixed parties, able to customize meals, Good prices

Cons: Tiny, Small order area

eleutheromaniac

Points +106

08 Oct 2014

Amazing Food

Harrison Street Coffee Shop has something on the menu called a Popeye burrito. It's all vegan egg, sausage, spinach, and hot sauce and it's the most amazing thing I've ever eaten. They have a hodgepodge of vegan treats for breakfast, lunch, and dessert. Their coffee is excellent as well.

The cafe itself is inside a typical Fan building; the building is old and feels dingy. Not the most charming atmosphere. Most of the patrons are college students as the shop sits on the VCU campus and so it can be difficult to find parking. But it's the perfect place to go for a quick bite or carry out especially if you're already in the area. The food is out of this world!

Pros: All veggie (vegetarian & vegan), Variety of food styles, Excellent food & beverage

Cons: Location/parking, Closes early

SallyByrd

Points +27

Mostly Veg
04 Nov 2013

Been twice - will def be back

I've only been to Harrison Street twice and each time I've really enjoyed it. I got tofu sandwiches both times (two variations on the theme) and they were huge and tasty, plenty to take home for later snackin'. Mostly I really like the vibe of this place. Yeah, it's student-heavy (it is basically on the VCU campus) but so what? Good people watching and you can hang out for hours. Service was good for me, too.

Pros: tasty food, huge portions, good buy

Cons: can be crowded/not enough seating

claryb

Points +145

04 Aug 2013

Disappointed

Stopped by at 11:30 AM on a Saturday to find a closed sign on the store but saw employees and customers inside. I opened the door and an employee told me they were closed because they lost power. I asked if I could purchase a blondie and/or brownie since I had cash. I was told very rudely that they were closed and they wouldn't sell me anything.

Return to Richmond Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Harrison Street Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.