Harmony Cafe

Contact 202-338-2336

3287 1/2 M St NW (at Georgetown area, Washington D.C.), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20007

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chinese and Asian food using many meat substitutes. Most dishes can be made vegan upon request. Try the vegetarian fish. 10 minute walk from Foggy Bottom/GWU and Rosslyn Metro stations.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Pan-Asian, Non-veg

First Review by

Lots of options, disappointed in execution - Edit

I saw a lot of good ratings for this place on various websites and so thought we should give it a try. From the curb, you would never stop and feel enticed to go to the basement level restaurant because there is no curb appeal whatsoever. It even looks questionable. But we decided to give it a go since we had good reviews and there were lots of vegan options.

The food is reasonably pried but the quality was a bit disappointing. They didn't have any brown rice, only white rice. When I asked what was in their "brown house sauce" they couldn't answer me. The food we did receive was very oily. As much as I wanted to love it, I wouldn't go back.

The service was good and the waitress was very friendly.

Pros: Good location, Not expensive

Cons: Oily and processed, Mystery sauce questionable, No brown rice

Not stellar, but a good bargain and great location - Edit

This food was mediocre and nothing out of the ordinary, but it is a nice find right in the middle of all the action on M Street. We were there during the record-breaking heat and humidity in the Summer of 2012, and arrived for lunch very hungry and very thirsty. The air conditioning was on high, and our empathetic waitress kept our glasses full of ice water. The dining room is below ground level, which means no windows but it also means very quiet and tranquil. It was a nice respite from the activity on M Street. The price was great, something like $6-$7 for a full lunch special of entree, salad, egg roll and rice. Unfortunately, they only had white rice. We had plenty of food and the service was good. If you're looking for something reasonably priced while enjoying M Street this is your spot but don't expect food artistry.

Pros: price, location, environment

Cons: white rice only, mediocre food

Ok food Terrible Service - Edit

The food was good, besides the fact they brought us the wrong order. It was tasty, but very saucy and highly processed. The service was terrible and slow. This is a second-rate Vegetable Garden. It should be your last resort

Pros: Tasty, Relatively Inexpensive

Cons: Slow Service, Poor Service, Rude

A satisfied customer - Edit

The carpet is worn and faded, and the menus are fraying, but that's all part of its charm. You can get a vegetarian version of just about any Chinese dish, for far less than other places in the area. The mock meats are not so real that you'd mistake them for the real thing - their "chicken" more closely resembles sausage, but it was still tasty. Portions are generous - every time I've gone, I've had leftovers. Be aware, though, that if you're paying just for yourself, you may be asked to pay in cash.

Pros: cheap, friendly, tasty

Cons: I can't rate it 5 cows, because it's not 100% veg?, What the heck?

Our Favorite - Edit

I travel often for my job and I find myself always comparing the other veggie/vegan Chinese meals I eat to Harmony. No one has matched it (and I've been to a lot of cities in the US). Since I moved away from DC, we always come back here every time we visit, and always for lunch. The lunch specials are the best deal around, you get a salad with the absolute best miso peanut vinaigrette, a crispy veggie roll, main dish and rice. We get the same thing every time, Kung Pao and Sesame mock chicken. We also always add the Crispy Tofu Steak appetizer (we each get our own :)). Bursts of flavor in delicious sauce.

This is not a full veggie restaurant, although all dishes can be served in their meat form or veggie mock form. This makes it an ideal place to go if you have reluctant omnivores or carnivores traveling with you. Can't wait to go back!

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Filling

Cons: Isn't one near me in Charlotte!

A veg-friendly oasis in Georgetown - Edit

Although they have good days and not-so-good days, Harmony Cafe is mostly good. Almost anything on their extensive menu can be veganized with excellent mock meats, although they do have a vegetable section. A must-have there is the Vegetarian Skewer appetizers, three kabobs of vegetables and soy puffs in a delicious peanut-sesame sauce.

I recently went with a friend who'd never been there, and while a sign said they'd open at 5:00, it was well after that when they opened. The hours can be spotty sometime, as there is only one server and (I have heard) one person doing the cooking. My friend loved the food we got and also enjoyed the atmosphere.

I wouldn't go to Georgetown just to eat there, but if you're nearby, it's a great place to grab a bite.

Pros: Good prices, Good food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Odd hours sometimes

Great Food for Cheap - Edit

delicious food. it gets kinda busy with just oner person working tables, but the food is worth the wait. DELICIOUS!

Pros: quiet, great food cheap, nice atmosphere

Cons: can be a little slow, but worth the wait!

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Harmony Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2181 times since Aug 2007.