Harmony Bakery

3446 Chestnut Ave, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 21211

Gluten-free bakery and deli cafe. Large selection of pastries as well lunch food like salads and pizza. All vegan except for dairy milk for coffee and cream cheese for bagels. Since 2015. Sells at Waverly Farmers' Market on Saturdays. Open Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:00pm, Sat 8:30am-6:00pm, Sun 10:00am-3:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, Gluten-free

First Review by corvid

A most-anticipated delight - Edit

I'd been visiting the Harmony Bakery owners' stand at the Waverly Farmer's Market for years and so was thrilled to hear from them that they were opening a storefront. I've now visited the shop quite a few times since it opened and I can say without reservation that it exceeds my expectations.

In addition to their regular market standards, the offerings at the bakery expand into other food territory, such as homemade soups, cold salads, and delicious teas and coffee. In the bakery case, you can find a mix of sweet and savory treats, all gluten-free and vegan. Highlights include their baked donuts, chocolate cake, cupcakes, cinnamon buns, and cashew cheese pizzas. (But it's all delicious!)

Many of the pastries are sweetened only with fruit such as dates, apricots, or berries, or at the most, agave or maple syrup. Everything is also now gluten-free. While I'm not gluten-free I can appreciate this because I eat enough wheat as it is, and the food is so amazing here that it doesn't change the quality at all. It has even inspired me to experiment with my own gluten-free baking at home.

The space itself is primarily designed to be a carry-out operation, with only a few tables inside and two small counters. But there are also tables outside during the good weather, and sitting along Chestnut Street is a nice respite from the chaos of the Avenue.

Some people might consider the prices here to be on the high side, but as someone who bakes a lot with similar ingredients at home, I can say that the prices are reasonable. Ingredients like dates, agave, maple syrup, raw nuts, and coconut oil are expensive (but worth it).

With options to purchase vegan baked goods increasing at a surprisingly rapid pace across the urban landscape here in Baltimore, it's so refreshing to see a place that is focused on the healthier side of vegan baking.

Updated from previous review on 2015-06-12

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, peaceful atmosphere

Many tasty options, but some are overly rich or hit-and-miss on texture. - Edit

Every time I go into Harmony the vegan baked goods look so delicious I end up ordering 5 or 6 different things. Without fail, 3 of them will be amazing, 1 or 2 of them will be just okay owing to being overly dense and rich, and 1 or 2 of them will be flat out bad. It seems that they haven't yet perfected their gluten-free formula for certain baked goods yet. It makes me a little nervous to try new items especially because they come with a pretty high price tag. Don't get me wrong I think the prices are fair given the product on offer but at that price I would also expect the recipe to be better developed.

I love their shortbread and brownies. An example of something that wasn't great was the almond jam cookie. It was chalky and crumbly. The curried chickpea tart is awesome, be sure to reheat it in the oven not the microwave though.

Also they stock a pretty awesome selection of locally made tea and kombucha.

Pros: Allergy-friendly options, Mostly vegan, Really nice staff

Cons: Some of the baked goods miss the mark, Sometimes heavy

Vegan Baked Goods! - Edit

Mostly vegan. Baked goods are all vegan but they serve cream for coffee and cream cheese for bagels.

Vegan quiche. Fantastic, great crust and loved the artichoke!

Mocha biscotti: awesome flavor but soft (I happened to like the texture, but it's not traditional).

Lavender cupcake: great texture and taste. light on lavender flavor.

Small space. There's a few tables but there may not be seating, so be prepared to take it to-go if needed.

Cute Veg bakery/cafe - Edit

We managed to slip in here just before they were closing before a long weekend but the staff were happy to serve us. There wasn't much left which I am guessing reflects how popular they are. The vegan quiche was really lovely. It's a shame that everything wasn't vegan because the stuff we had was nice so it would be good to see them go fully vegan.

Pros: cute cafe style bakery, lovely vegan options

Cons: not fully vegan

Heaven disguished as a Bakery - Edit

For real though. Everything I have eaten here has made being Vegan & GF sooooo easy and delicious. I bring my non-veg/gf friends and family here alot and they're always shocked. Some menu items change regularly, which I like. Harmony likes to change their items with the seasons (makes sense right?!) Plus the staff is so lovely. It is family owned/operated and they genuinely love their customers. Lily the baker makes the most bomb cakes! Also Greg has his art displayed and for sale, he does amazing work. Love Harmony and will be going here for a long time!

Pros: great selection, friendly staff, warm and smells nice!

Gluten free and vegan desserts - Edit

This little nook of a bakery tucked into the Hampden area of Baltimore will make you appreciate the challenges of gluten free baking do not have to create horrible outcomes. The place is all vegetarian and desserts vegan.

There are many choices, and you will be quite happy as a vegan in this bakery. There is a salad or two, a soup, coffee, and baked savory items like quiche and tart. It's quite nice to have these here, as most gluten-free bakeries are just making a handful of vegan items just because they don't want to exclude vegans. Here, they make vegans feel welcome.

All the desserts right now are vegan. Cake, cookies - what more do you need? Well, it would be nice to have a few more choices, like creamy pies/ cheesecakes, maybe some croissants/ pastries/ danishes? Still, picky diets can't be pickier. I couldn't be happier with Harmony's good number of vegan items.

The prices are fair, very fair. I was very happy here. The feel is homey and the baked goods, also the same. It's like one of your good friends who is a great home baker just opened up a shop! Nothing fancy, but good quality home-style baked goods. Yum.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Gluten free, Prices

Cons: Not all vegan, Bagels aren't vegan

Return to Baltimore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Harmony Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.