Hari's Vegetarian

Contact 02-9212-1010

157 Broadway, Ultimo, Sydney, New South Wales, 2007

Established in early-2013 in the location of the previous Vrnda's restaurant (different management). Small cafe setting. Offers gluten-free, raw, vegetarian, and vegan food. Daily specials.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out, Catering

First Review by sbszine

Mediocre nachos - Edit

I had two lunches here over the past week. The first day I has a sausage roll and a salad, which I enjoyed. The second time I had nachos, and was disappointed. It appeared to be made primarily with corn chips topped with tinned baked beans, and while there was vegan cheese added, there was no avocado, and for $14 I would have expected a higher quality meal. I guess I should have played it safe with a curry.

Cheap veggie eats with meal deals - Edit

- Casual café setting with plenty of vegan options.
- Meal deals from the buffet makes for a quick and easy cheap lunch.
- Staff are friendly and knowledgeable.
- Delivery available via Suppertime.
- Gluten free options.

Must try:
- A mix of the buffet curries with brown rice and pappadums.
- Vegan burger with hot chips.

Pros: Affordable (student discount also available), Friendly staff, Variety of vegan and gluten-free options

Cons: Limited vegan desserts during my visit

Slightly better than the free meal at Newtown Hub - Edit

I was excited to visit Hari's vegetarian on broadway. I've had some great krishna food in my days travelling abroad. That delicious place in newcastle yum.

However, much to my surprise, the food here was only slightly above the quality the krishna's give out for free on King St every night. The difference being a few extra vegetables.

Where is the mouth watering malai kofta, or full flavoured curries that tantalise my taste-buds. Bad salads are bad. Give me variety or give me death

Zero Stars.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 16, 2013

Great food, friendly service, excellent location - Edit

This is a little vegan/vegetarian gem in the bustle of Broadway. Indian-inspired menu, featuring yummy salads. The quinoa salad is a winner - and the baked vegetables were a brilliant lunch on a cold, rainy Sydney day!

Pros: Very tasty food, Friendly service, Good location

Cons: Menu quite limited - but expanding, Decor quite simple

Good, cheap, quick - Edit

I had a nice lunch - the Hari Plate for $10 - with 2 curries, rice, dahl, and. Papadum. It was mildly spiced, fresh, tasty. The restaurant had a clean, simple environment. There aren't many pure veg restaurants in the area so - support this one!

Pros: Veg, vegan choices, Good, fresh food, Easy to find location

Cons: Very simple, cafetaria style, Limited choices

I am impressed - Edit

I have never made a review before, but after eating at Hari's a few times I decided that everyone should know about this place.

The food is fresh and all made on the premises every day. The staff are friendly and helpful and there is a variety of things to choose from.

There are a number of fresh salads, fresh and tasty. You could easily fill yourself up on those.

The lasagne is so creamy and delicious (and vegan) it is to die for.

There are hot vegetable dishes and dahl as well, you can even get brown rice.

Vegan halava and vegan custard is incredible, but there are more desserts, cakes, bliss balls, berry balls, cheesecakes ( for dairy eaters) chocolate brownies, sticky date pudding. I want to have all of it.

On my mums birthday I went to Hari's and brought a feast of vegetarian delights to her place, she loved it.

There are vegan spinach triangles, vegan tofu fritters, vegan kofta balls, vegan stuffed flat bread, vegan samosa, vegan pizza. It is a vegan heaven. They have drinks both hot and cold, and there is more than this but I can't remember it all. I did try to eat it all but my stomach is only so big :)

Anyway there is free 3 hour parking close by at Broadway shopping center and the buses go by the door every minute so it is easy to get to (but hard to leave)

I'm going back there right now

Pros: Fast, friendly VEGAN, Fresh, cooked on site, Cheap, value for money

Cons: I can't eat everything all at once, I don't live next door to it, They won't let me move in

Wanna Be Indians - Edit

This place looks great. Sadly it is all show. The soup was cold and the salad hot. I was a bit wary of the salad, as it seemed to be warm, like, not just room temperature, but like it had been next to something hot.
There is little atmosphere in the place, short of the traffic noise, which I guess is to be expected on Broadway.
The food was cheap, and the service cheaper as those serving took little notice of me even while ordering.
After accepting money from the previous customer, the person serving then used the same hand to place a papadam on my plate. I had to ask for another, and not to handle my food. The pakoras were soggy, like they had been sitting there for a day waiting for someone silly enough to order some, sadly, this was me. They were soaked with oil and again, only warm. The food and salads tasted lifeless.
Moving onto dessert, we were given a slab of sugar in the shape of a cake. Flavourless and sweet is all that can be said for this.
Whilst eating, we were approached by an Australian woman dressed in an old Sari. At first we thought she was a weirdo but then she tried to convert us to Hari Krishna. Despite being told we were religiously catered for, she persisted and we left.
When our office Christmas party comes around, this place will be nowhere on the list of options.

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Cold food, Tasteless, Noisy

Very friendly both for the palate and the wallet!! - Edit

Amazing variety to chooses from, friendly staff and very very affordable by Sydney standards. Whether you're a visitor down under or a regular, this place won't disappoint YOU!!

The Pesto pasta and Hari's/Vegan Pizza deserve special mention and so does the carrot cake & chocolate brownie in the dessert options..

Pros: Tasty food, Affordable price, Friendly staff

Cons: Gotta get there quick in the afternoon

Delicious fresh vegan food and friendly atmosphere - Edit

Every time I go to Hari's I feel like I am at a party, because everyone there is having so much fun, including the staff. It is a place full of laughter and smiles and the smell and taste of great vegan food. The menu is constantly expanding, with the most recent addition being vegan lasagne, made with the chef's home made tofu-cheezey sauce and fresh tomato sauce. Mmm! The tomato sauce also goes excellently with the delicious spinach triangle pastries, herbed tofu cutlet and tender veggie kofta balls. There are also salads, curries, dahl, spinach-stuffed bread, cakes, avocado rice paper rolls,vegan and non-vegan pizzas and samosas. I understand we will soon also have the choice of veggie burgers and vegan hot chippies. Yippee! This is the kind of place Sydney has needed for a long time, providing variety from our many fantastic Asian vegan restaurant choices. We are so lucky! For the Buddhists and HKs out there, you will also be happy to know there is no onion or garlic and everything is made freshly throughout the day. For the very hungry, or those on a budget, rest assured your tummies will be full to bursting long before your wallet can run dry, the servings are huge. I am looking forward to seeing the new decor too once it has been installed, I understand they are planning very vibrant happy colours, which will make a fantastic place even better.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Great atmosphere, Friendly smiling helpful staff

Wholesome & Relaxed - Edit

An easy option for simple eats. They hosted a group of 8 of us & the set vegan hare krishna meal on offer was delish & filling with a nice variety on the plate. Great value for money at $10.50 with a little dessert included. The dessert can be made vegan with no fuss. Not much for decor or atmosphere but a good casual place where they are not rushing you out the door. Sincere service. I would visit again.

Pros: Delicious, Affordable, Vegan

Cons: Decor

Filling inexpensive, vegan food - Edit

Delightful staff offering simple filling vegan food.. Brilliant for those on a limited budget. Very clean, public transport close by.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Friendly staff

Good value - Edit

It'a set meal, and cheap and filling rather than inspiring, but it's good to have a vegan option on a street with several meat-heavy Indian restaurants nearby. The lunch plate is $8.50, with two curries, dall, salad and a papadum, plus dessert. All vegan apart from the dessert, which has been halva every time I have visited, and each time they have cheerfully offered to make me a dairy-free version. The evening meal has an additional curry and costs $10.50. At both meals there is a $1 discount for students. There are a couple of extras available containing dairy, but it is very much easier to get a vegan meal here than in most Indian restaurants.

Pros: easy vegan, friendly, cheap

Cons: limited selection

Non-spicy Indian - Edit

Vrnda's offers a set menu of Indian food (curries on rice) with some optional extras like samosa and pakora. Salad, pappadum and desert are included. The food is all vegan except for the dessert. There's not much to choose from but the curries change periodically, so you're not eating the same thing all the time. It's good value but a little bland compared to most Indian food.

Pros: Price

Cons: Variety

Return to Sydney Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hari's Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5542 times since Jun 2012.