Happy Veggie

310-379-5035

709 N Pacific Coast Hwy (at Catalina Ave), Redondo Beach, California, USA, 90277

Small vegan restaurant serving Asian vegan cuisine using a variety of soy based mock meats and seafood. No alcohol. Location is in the same shopping center as Carl's Jr, just north of Redondo Pier. The original owners sold the restaurant in 2015 to a staff member. Open Mon 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wed 11:00am-3:00pm, Wed 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thu 11:00am-3:00pm, Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 11:00am-3:00pm, Sat 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by HermosaJulieJo

Lots of OK Options - Edit

The place is loaded with vegan and gluten free options. The food was fresh and good, it just wasn't great. Good spot for a quick lunch...

Vegan Asian Comfort Food - Edit

The food is so good. I used to venture out and different items on the menu but now my order is the same every time I walk in...

Chicken Drumsticks and Pho.

Those are my two favorite things here. The chicken drumsticks are a great appetizer. Crispy, delicious, and juicy.

The pho comes in a huge bowl and is so filling. Only on a few occasions have I ever been so hungry that I drank the broth too! I could eat it every day. It reminds me of the noodle soup my Mom makes.

If you don't like noodle soup I also highly suggest the curry.

The place may not look like much but ooh it's good.

Pros: vegan, tasty, Comfort

Cons: 1 particularly slow waiter

reasonable. - Edit

fresh veggies. i think they dont use MSG. Not what I would call substantial (I had the soup described as "serving two", it almost served one).
Quick service.

Pros: quick

Cons: Servings need to be more substantial.

nice little place - Edit

Great little place to grab a bite.

Lucky find - Edit

We were super happy with the food, fresh and tasty. Low fat and not greasy like other vegan restaurants. Mongo smoothie was to die for!!!

Pros: great menu/ lots of options , low fat / healthy options but tasty at the same ti, very friendly service

Cons: decor would use some updating , closes early

Go-To Restaurant - Edit

This is one of my favorite restaurants and I am so happy that I found it. The menu says "vegetarian restaurant", but it is all vegan. They have a great variety of dishes with and without "mock meats". Their curries are really flavorful, as well as their pho. My personal favorite is the Happy Veggie Wrap and I get it almost every time I go :)

great for lunch - Edit

The food is great. I usually come here and get the spring rolls and pho. The curries are also delicious. The atmosphere is lacking a little bit. Most of the time they don't have any music playing, so it's just awkward silence. Some of the servers are also kind of rude, like you are inconveniencing them by being there. I recommend coming here for a tasty lunch or takeout, but not for a nice date.

Veggie Heaven by the Beach - Edit

Today was our first visit. The restaurant is a small one in a strip mall, but the flavors were Big. We sampled their Pho, Lemon Grass Chicken, Curry Veggie Masala, and Vegetable Dumplings. All were well prepared, flavorful, and nicely presented. Brown rice is available for a small surcharge. We thought the prices were very fair and the serving sizes more than adequate. Personally, my leftovers will be enough for another two meals. The atmosphere is tranquil and the service gracious and friendly.

Pros: All vegan, Close to beach, Parking available

this may be my favorite place - Edit

Does Vietnamese food make you happy? There is something wonderful about the right blend of sweet, spicy, salty, and savory that makes Vietnamese food so so so good. The happy veggie does it right – vegan, delicious, and so satisfying. Love this place. I smile when I know we are going there, and I smile for at least an hour after we eat. Happy is right.

Pros: try the spring rolls

Cons: it is a small place, and a strip center

yummy food - Edit

Recently ate here - had the "chicken" drumsticks and veggie curry. Very yummy - will be back. One downside is $2 extra for brown rice - seems steep. Very nice owner as well.

Pros: yummy, good variety, nice owner

Cons: expensive brown rice

Great Food, Slow Service - Edit

I've had many different dishes at Happy Veggie and enjoyed them all. My favorites have been a basil eggplant special, the Pad Thai, and the "drumsticks" are freaky good.

The ambiance is really mellow and relaxing even though it is in a strip mall, and you feel great after your beautiful meal.

The staff is friendly enough, but I wouldn't exactly call them attentive. I feel like I usually have to get their attention to ask for more water, or to say we are ready for the check... things like that.

Pros: Flavorful food, Calming Environment, All Vegan

Cons: Slow service, Extra $ for brown rice

Favorite vegan spot! - Edit

My girlfriend and I absolutely love eating here. We found it when we lived in the area, and we still make it a point to drive back from time to time. The Asian themed all vegan menu is all awesome. We especially love the curry soup. The vegan cheesecake is perfect too!

Pros: All vegan, Delicious, Friendly staff

Asian Basics - Edit

Clean, small, vegetarian only restaurant located in sidewalk mall. Food was just okay, a little too bland for me and needing salt. This would be good for someone looking for a low salt option. The "spicy" was very mild too.

Price was average for a vegan restaurant. I had one entree and one starter. The total was just over $20.

Parking was in the small mall lot. During busy times for the mall I could see it be a little hard to find a space (I was there around 5:30 on a Tuesday afternoon, and it was a little packed in the lot then).

The wait staff was friendly enough and the manager truly believed in the Vegan life style. The business was honest and local. Nice to see.

Pros: Wait staff, Selection

Cons: Bland food

Great food, lovely people - Edit

I was in Redondo Beach on business and came here about 4 times in a week. Definitely the best vegetarian food in the local area by far! The Pho is to die for.

Pros: great food, fresh and healthy, friendly family run

Excellent, I recommend it - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and came here once for a dinner meal. Here's my Happy Veggie review.

Pam, the owner, was very gracious and made our party feel at home. The four of us veg foodiees shared many dishes: summer rolls, casaval spring rolls, pho noodle soup, pineapple chicken and brown rice, au lac pancake, fresh zuchini spaghetti, tofu cheesecake drizzled in berry sauce, vegan carrot cake, and hot tea.

We ordered so much food and manaaged to finish everything. Each dish (except the desserts) was made fresh upon order and tasted delicious.

Personally, I especially liked the pho, the zucchini spaghetti, and the au lac pancake, and I would recommend them for anyone to try. It was apparent to us that the chef (brother to Pam) prepared each dish with the utmost care, and the results were wonderful.

The only suggestion I have to make this place even better is if they offer more choices that are made without mockmeats, as most dishes do contain some kind of mockmeat.

This is a place I would eat at once a week if I lived nearby. Will try to return soon, cuz I miss the pho.

Pros: totally vegan-friendly, great people, delicious food

Lovely All-Vegan Restaurant! - Edit

Finished a bike ride in the South Bay at this little gem. Cute lil place, friendly service, was gratefully surprised to be told the menu was completely vegan. :) Enjoyed dumplings as appetizer, pad thai, chicken curry w/white rice, & lemongrass chicken. All fresh looking & tasting! Ordered carrot cake & coconut ice cream for dessert. Pleased to see so much business during our short visit. Great food. Friendly service. Will definately return if I'm ever in the area again. :)

Pros: all vegan, fresh, friendly service

Cons: above avg $

wouldn't try again - Edit

I wanted to like this place, the employees were friendly but very slow. It was difficult to get drinks or other service. The food was ok, some things were better than others. The server told us they were having a busy night and apologized for the service, but it was so bad, and the food wasn't good enough to make me go there again.

Everything is YUM! and service was great too! - Edit

Went here for the first time for dinner with three non-veg friends. We all had a fantastic time. The food was great (I had the pho, yum! AND you've gotta try the drumsticks as a starter- to die for!) and the owner was super friendly. We all had such a lovely time we're planning to make it a regular thing. Now go on, what are you waiting for, go get your happy veggie on!

Updated from previous review on Sunday April 03, 2011

Pros: friendly staff, great food, great price

Return to Redondo Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Happy Veggie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.