Happy Hooligans - Happy Bamboo

Contact 408-694-0740

1711 Branham Lane Ste A9, San Jose, California, USA, 95118

Fusion cuisine restaurant Happy Bamboo changed its name in Jan 2016 to Happy Hooligan. Offers Asian fusion cuisine with a few other cuisines such as Hungarian goulash. Fully vegan since 2011.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by dogmother

Great food! - Edit

I've been wanting to try this place for a while and am so glad I was finally able to visit. The menu is huge and it was hard to make a choice.

I had the Dream Burger which was really delicious. My son had the nachos and he really enjoyed them. I also had the Vietnamese Ice Coffee which was creamy, sweet and cold.

I wish I lived closer to this restaurant so I could visit more often.

They had a sign in the restaurant (and also posted on their web site) that says they will be phasing out their Asian menu items so they can continue to offer a variety of other comfort food items.

Pros: Great variety of choices, Reasonable prices

Not bad. - Edit

The stir fry veggie meats are real tasty. The pho tast d like warm water with black pepper, no flavor at all. That's all we tried. :)

Pros: tasty meats, friendly server

Cons: weak azz pho, small portions

Tasty! - Edit

Our service was prompt and the food delicious. Ordered the Buffalo Bites with the ranch on the side. Not too spicy and well-balanced flavor. The Double Decker Bus was huge and filling. Would get a burger with a single patty next time just because it's a lot of faux meat! Ordered the Orange Bliss and added broccoli and brown rice- it was a solid sweet-and-sour vegan chicken dish. All food came out in a timely manner. Large portions and a huge menu!

A must visit! - Edit

I have been coming to this restaurant for years. Now under new ownership, they are keeping it going and making upgrades. The menu has altered but still has the classics, western and eastern as well as some new additions. I've never had a bad meal here and stop by every time I'm in San Jose.

great food, terrible service - Edit

The food was awesome. However, the waitress there (pink hair), was incredibly rude to myself and several costumes near me. She was unresponsive and short.

However, we received table-side service from the chef who was lovely. And the food was great!

Pros: wide selection of food, delicious food, great chef

Cons: waitress was rude

very family oriented and welcoming - Edit

Their vegan cheese is the best I have ever had! Me and my family come specifically for that. The owner is so nice and willing to share all of her recipes. We will drive all the from Gilroy just to eat here. Good food, good people. Service can be a little slow cuz everything is made from scratch daily and to order. Worth it!

Same great food now called The Happy Hooligans - Edit

I drove around the strip mall just to be sure "The Happy Hooligans" was in fact the restaurant "Happy Bamboo." Glad I went in. They have be wide variety of vegan Asian, Mexican and other comfort food.

The Burrito I had was huge and very good. Next time I'll try something more adventurous Asian fare.

Great first impression - Edit

This is the first vegan restaurant I've tried since deciding to transition to veganism and it's great. Their jicama rolls with peanut sauce are a must try. There's a lot to choose from here.

So many options! - Edit

This is another go-to for my husband and I, particularly because they have so many options. I attempt to try something new everytime I'm there. I've had the pad thai (ehh...), fish sticks (so good, their tartar sauce, yum!), tacos with "shrimp" (I really liked these! especially their rice and beans), chikn burrito (really hated the flavor of the chikn, had to throw it away), spaghetti and meatballs, burger, mac and cheese, egg rolls, and buffalo cauliflower. For the most part I really like a lot of their food, they have great desserts. Don't come here if you're in a hurry, the service is good but the food is cooked fresh and takes time.

Pros: all-vegan, lots of options, inexpensive

Cons: slower service

No Substitution - Edit

The food is great except the Vietnamese sandwiches (a little bland). Only issue is the owner won't let you substitute or change anything about the food. I know the cheese is vegan but I don't like cheese on my burger so why can't I leave it off? The lay is nice, just stubborn...like a mom. Drumsticks are a must have!

Pros: Tastes Great, Adorable

Cons: No Substitution

Yummers ! - Edit

This place is sooooo yummy and so affordable. The owner is a sweetheart. She came out and conversed with us, not in the.."I have to do this cause I'm the owner" way, but she really talks, shares, recommends and genuinely cares about what you think.I can't wait to go back again !

Pros: Yummers !

Good food, nice folks - Edit

Good food - my favorite is the seaweed salad. Some dishes are a little too heavy on the faux meats for my tastes but I like lots of veggies. Service is sometimes slow, but owner & staff are very friendly.

Pros: good value, friendly staff

Cons: inconsistent service

Happy Bamboo, San Jose, California - Edit

This is one of my favorite vegan restaurants. It has an extensive menu and the owner, Binh, is great to talk with. So far as I can tell from the menu, Happy Bamboo is true-blue vegan and so should probably be reclassified in the HappyCow description. It would be good if Binh and the HappyCow staff could check with each other to see if this is warranted.

Amazing Burgers - Edit

My girlfriend saw the restaurant the other day so we came back and eat there. Best vegetarian food! I didn't realize how close this was to my house. I'm gonna be a regular.

Pros: Amazing Burgers!, Delicious Food, Extremely Friendly Staff

pleasant surprise! - Edit

We visited this restaurant for the first time and were pleasantly surprised. I had the lemon grass veggie chicken and my husband had the veggie chicken teriyaki. The owners made rounds to check on customers, and the service was very good. We also saw several customers who appeared to be regulars. The food was VERY good. The lemongrass veggie chicken was spicy but not too spicy---just right! Prices are also good: all under $10.00. I think we will become regulars too. :)

Pros: tasty food, service, price

Cons: none

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Happy Hooligans - Happy Bamboo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4316 times since Aug 2007.