Happy Family - Loma Linda

Contact 909-783-8928

2150 S Waterman Ave (at Barton), San Bernardino, California, USA, 92408

San Bernardino vegetarian Chinese restaurant offering an extensive menu featuring faux meats and vegetables. Bargain lunch specials. Spacious with Chinese decor, opened since 2008. Same owner as the Happy Family in Rowland Heights. Located in a shopping plaza just south of the 10 Freeway. Became all-vegetarian in early-2014. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by Dgiang

Delicious and CHEAP vegan food! - Edit

Must try if you are in the area for greasy vegan Chinese food! Faves include the chow mein and orange chicken. We also loved the ice cream.

Pros: cheap, delicious , quick service

Happy Family indeed - Edit

Such good food! I hadn't had hot and sour soup since becoming vegan and it was delicious. All 5 of us got something different and every bit of it was fantastic- no complaints from the picky boy either- which was rare and beautiful. Friendly staff. We will definitely be back.

Vegan Heaven - Edit

All I gotta say is KUNG POW CHIKKEN!! but make sure to get the one off of the entree menu with mushrooms and peanuts! Sooo delicious....I've never had anything here that I haven't enjoyed. My non-vegan friends and family enjoy it just as much. Kudos, happy fam!

Pros: all vegan

Cons: weird version of kung pow chikken on lunch menu th

Wow really Wow - Edit

So we found this gem after a trip to the VA hospital. I had the vegan chicken with basil and ginger, hot sour soup, brown rice and spring roll. my daughter had the orange peel chicken with the corn and tofu soup. I am very pleased. And the price is very reasonable. I will be stopping here on my trips down from the desert.

Vegetarian chinese food - Edit

I had first read about this place on happycow, and stopped in while driving through town back in 2012. Was just here again, and here's my Happy Family - Loma Linda review update.

The first time here, we were on our way to Joshua Tree to attend Bhakti Fest and had stopped in for a quick lunch. To my surprise, the inside of the restaurant was quite spacious and very nicely decorated with an Asian style sensitivity. Very comfortable booth seating (wooden chairs also).

Our waitresses were two very friendly Chinese woman who converse and played with our daughter.

We got 2 lunch specials to share: the vege fish in black pepper sauce and the sauteed long green beens. Each lunch special came with a small fried spring roll, a bowl of brown or white rice, and a soup of the day. The food tasted all right, though we didn't like our soup (a gooey corn and tofu soup).

The second time here was just a few days ago. Came in for dinner, and it seemed like things stayed pretty much the same: 2 friendly waitresses, same menu, same decor.

This time we share the savory green beans and fried tofu cubes (recommended); both were both yummy. The wonton soup and the pineapple fried rice (mild flavor) were okay.

However, beware that sweet and sour soup is very gooey and peppery. I couldn't finish mine.

Overall, this is a good place to come for veggie Chinese food.

Pros: comfortable space, friendly service, large menu

Cons: kitchen can be slow, don't get sweet & sour soup

This is a little gem! Love this place! - Edit

Wow - We went to Happy Family in Loma Linda for the first time today. They have very tasty vegan Chinese food at great prices! My husband and I shared two lunch specials and they were both amazing! We will definitely be back again and recommend this place for vegan and non-vegan/vegetarian people. Great service, very clean, awesome food!

Great place! - Edit

I love this restaurant!! The food is delicious and served quickly. The servers are very polite and nice. I just discovered this place recently and have been going as much as possible. And did I mention I love the food!!

Our Family Leaves Happy - Edit

I love how consistent the place is. The service is always friendly and the food fresh and vegan. The atmosphere is calm and they have a diverse menu of Chinese cuisine. Great food!

Pros: Great Portion Size, Vegan, In San Bernardino

Cons: Closed Some Afternoons

Yum, Yum, YUM. - Edit

Ever since my boyfriend and I first went to Happy Family we have gone at least once a week since! I LOVE the food, and the servers seem nice as well. My favorites are the soy chicken nuggets with curry sauce and the kung pao "chicken".
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 07, 2013
Yesterday we had the vegan carrot cake. Talk about DELICIOUS.

Pros: Large Portions, Friendly Staff

Pretty good all veg Chinese food - Edit

It's always nice to find a resturaunt that serves exclusively vegetarian food. I've had some ups and downs at this place with the food being better at times than others but never terrible. All in all it's a nice place to grab some take out or dine in and the staff is very friendly. Plus they serve only veg food! So that alone makes me want to support this business and keep them going :)

OMG!!!! - Edit

This place is so incredible- most of the time. Their meat substitutes are great but a couple dishes are so traditional they have lost their flavor. The chikn mushroom was not especially notable. Their orange chikn and oyster appetizer are WONDERFUL! I like to go with at least 3 people and share each others dishes.

Loved it! - Edit

There isnt many vegeterian places to eat here in the Inland Empire but this place is our new favorite! It is very nice, clean, and roomy. We've never had to wait for a table and the staff was always super nice and attentive. The food is DELISH and very well made. Food is served very fast and the portion sizes are very generous. My family has been going back every weekend since we discovered it!

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, no wait

Good food, good prices. - Edit

I went to Happy family on a whim and really enjoyed it. They had hundreds of different menu items and were reasonably priced (e.g. the "pork" with bamboo was eight dollars). Their portions are huge and they serve each meal with a giant bowl of rice.

This restaurant is great for vegetarians, but may be intimidating for non-vegetarians. And it was great to know that as a vegan there were tons of options for me- something that rarely happens.

I definitely enjoyed it and will be coming back soon because it's great being able to support local vegetarian businesses.

Pros: Lots of selection, Good value

Cons: Questionable location

NOT GREAT:( - Edit

My husband and I first were impressed with happy family. We tried to go back but they were closed after lunch and before dinner. That was inconvenient. On our second visit they sent out burned food and lost our bill. They made no apologies for the lack of service. We are very disappointed and we will NEVER go back to Happy Family.

Cons: Burned Food, Lack of Customer Service, Was not a good value

Finally, Happy Family comes to SB! - Edit

Everything I've had here has been great. The house orange chicken is really mushrooms and they're beyond fabulous. The mongolian beef is to die for! Order extra to take home because you will crave it, I promise. Even the smoked "chicken" appetizer, which I didn't realize was like cold sliced veg chicken lunch loaf, was great when I took it home and made it into veg chicken salad! I do like the their wheat gluten fake meats better than the soy meats. I wish it was easier to communicate with the wait staff so I could find out which items are vegan and which aren't. The menu doesn't specify. There are SO MANY menu items it is going to take many trips to try everything.

Delicious Food! - Edit

I live in Riverside and the only vegetarian restaurant we have is Oasis, which is about 30 minutes from my house. I decided to browse outside of my city and came across this restaurant on HappyCow. It got great reviews so I thought I'd drive out there (also about 30 minutes away). My first impression was that it was in an okay area. I was greeted right when I entered and was sat immediately. My boyfriend and I ordered off the lunch menu, the items ranged from about $6.50 to $7.50. Each meal came with a soup (Hot and Sour or Corn Soup), a spring roll, and either white or brown rice.

I ordered the Orange Chicken with Hot and Sour and brown rice. The texture of the chicken was pretty close to meat, the taste was rather good. It's definitely something I'd order again. I LOVE Hot and Sour soup and really enjoy this one in particular. My boyfriend ordered the Broccoli Beef with the same sides. The "beef" tasted similar to a beef jerky we get at a local Health Food Store. The service was so-so, the lady seemed rushed (it wasn't busy) and didn't speak the clearest English, but we got our food quick and it was yummy. She did bring out an extra soup (corn) for us to try, so that was nice. I give this place an A, I will be returning in the near future. Unfortunately, my boyfriend is leaving for Navy training, so I might be sitting alone :(

Pros: Delicious Food, 100% Vegetarian, Affordable

danakscully64 Since posting this review, this restaurant has become my FAVORITE PLACE EVER. The people here are always SUPER nice to us and I believe it's the owner who always sees me and talks to me when I come in. He's always looking for input on the dishes and letting us know how we can order it different (more spicy, stuff like that). I'm addicted to the Orange Chicken, brown rice, and hot and sour soup. Best meal ever. Before moving out of state a few weeks ago, my boyfriend and I started going regularly and trying out the different dishes. The Mongolian beef is a new favorite, very spicy, but delicious. This place is amazing, I can't wait to eat here when I visit family in December.

A Diamond in the rough - Edit

My husband and I are from The east bay...we came here to visit relatives and were bummed on how little options there are around these parts. We found happy family from this website and decided to give it a try. IT WAS AMAZING!!!! The staff was wonderful, helpful and totally sweet. We got 5 dishes and the price was right! Everything was great... one dish was just ok (the sizzling plate shrimps were not that great). This place is amazing!! the orange peel chicken!!!YUM I only wish there was a chinese place this good were we lived. Now coming to so cal will be a treat! Even our relatives really liked it! The ONLY problem with this place is that we live over 300 miles away, but thats our problem...GO EAT THERE!!

Pros: Friendly, Amazing food, comfortable

Cons: not in the east bay

Great Chinese Food in the IE - Edit

Happy Family is NOT the best vegetarian Chinese restaurant in the Inland Empire. It is the best Chinese restaurant there.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good Value

Cons: Simple decor

Return to San Bernardino Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Happy Family - Loma Linda closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6917 times since May 2008.