Happy Elephant Vegan

• Vegan
Contact 562-491-7429

1532 E Broadway, Long Beach, California, USA, 90802

Opened Oct 2014, this vegan restaurant offers Thai and Japanese food. Features a variety of made-to-order vegan sushi rolls. Small and casual, using disposable serving ware. Free Wi-Fi. Street parking.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Thai, Take-out

First Review by Sofafilms

Nice Little Spot - Edit

I first tasted their dishes at the Vegan Fest in North Hollywood a few months back. It was our first time trying the actual restaurant today. Start was friendly and the food was delicious! Only thing, though, was that I think the portions are a bit small for the prices. Other than that, all is well

Pros: Good food!

Cons: Expensive

Happy Elephant vegan - Edit

I love this place, i have read a lot of mixed reviews, well... after eating there about 5 times now i must say I'm completely disagree with any negative reviews and heres why. The food portions are appropriate, its tasty, fresh, and they always have free fruit, soup, and vegan sushi if you go there to eat. Prices are fair (i mean cmon, its vegan food.. its typically not cheap). And they are always so super friendly with me. ill end up trying everything on the menu for sure but my favorites are the summer rolls, sate, and the emerald roll is yummy

Gave them 5 chances - Edit

I won't be back to this restaurant. I must say that the Sushi, is very well done. But in this case the proprietress is the businesses own worst enemy. While the THsi dishes are okay. the portions are small. I assume they want you to utilize their complementary Buffet. The Salads and soups are okay. but if I didn't want the buffet then It's just a small plate of food. I get more on an airplane. Also, Parking is terrible! Prepare to walk at peak hours. I wish them luck in that Vegan restaurants are really needed in Long Beach. But, I'm done.

Pros: Sushi is excellent!

Cons: Small portions on the Thai Menu, Too many choices, The Owner

Make the owner rich - Edit

This is a great model for future vegan restaurants. As a prototype, however, this restaurant fails a bit. Everything costs 6-9$ on the menu which seems reasonable, but you have to spend 40-50$ to not leave hungry. Food is more of a decoration here. Vegan restaurants need to be examples of abundance to let people know that a vegan life style works. When the food costs a lot and the portions are not filling, it makes the vegan lifestyle seem unobtainable.

Pros: idea of sushi bar, flavors

Cons: price, portions, parking

alright sushi - Edit

This is a very small and casual spot. It's kind of awkward inside. We were the only ones in there, and everything took a very long time. Not only did the food take a long time to come out, but the server was also very inattentive. The soup and sushi rolls we had were okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to come back here.

Cons: parking is really difficult

What's Happier than a Happy Cow? A Happy Elephant - Edit

I love the Happy Elephant, one of my favorite things about it besides the food has to be saying let's go to the Happy Elephant.

I would have to say their sushi rolls are my favorite on the menu. Additionally their mango sticky rice is delicious these dishees are presented so beautifully, almost to pretty to eat, but hunger always wins that battle.

Their curry's are really good too, totally something to check out and not to spicy and I enjoy their Udon very much very flavorful.

The dining room is really small and parking kind of sucks, but it's Long Beach space is limited.

Pros: Fresh ingrediants, beautiful presenttion, totally vegan

Cons: parking, parking, did I mention parking?

disappointing - Edit

I was really hoping this place would be good. While waiting for our food, we heard a microwave being used...not a good start. We tried the gyoza...they were ok. The pad Thai was bland...rice noodles, a few cubes of tofu and bean sprouts...the sushi roll was pretty good. I just don't understand the paper plates and plastic wrapped sushi board...portions are small...we left hungry

Pros: sushi rolls, friendly staff

Cons: portion sizes, lack of flavor, paper plates

cormacf This is pretty much spot-on. The owners seem very nice, and the restaurant is new, so we're hoping they make some improvements, but for now, the food is only OK. The sushi is better than the rest -- more or less on par with what you'd get at any other sushi restaurant, plus a few creative rolls that run the gamut from pretty good and inventive to "a little smooshy." Avoid the soup--it's pure salt. The disposable everything is a deal-breaker, though. SO MUCH paper and plastic. Don't they know they're catering to hippies?

Get the sushi rolls - Edit

I read about this place on happycow, and when worked called to come to Long Beach, I jumped at the chance to grab a meal here (Jan 2015). Here's my Happy Elephant review.

It's a little cafe on Broadway with street parking only. Unless you have car karma-luck, expect to park further to get a space.

The interior is small and simple. A waitress greeted us while a chef stands behind the counter making sushi rolls.

On the menu one side is Japanese food the other Thai food. From what my friend and shared, I would highly recommend the sushi rolls ($8 each).

We had rolls with brown rice, avocado, veggies -- one kind even had a caviar (made from seaweed) that gave the rolls an exquisite flavor.

We also tried the Thai appetizer endive leaves with minced cashew nut ($8). Spicy and delish though expensive for the small portion.

Finish the meal with hot sticky rice with sweet mango. Yum.

Happy Elephant is a nice little addition for Long Beach. Finally, good vegan sushi at fair prices.

PS. Food is served in disposable-ware only (maybe due to permit reasons).

Pros: good vegan sushi, sticky rice and mango, friendly service

Cons: appetizer portion too small

Not your typical Thai Vegn - Edit

I've gotten to know Long Beach relatively well over the past 2 yrs of staying there for work and I've made Ahimsa, Veggie Grill and Cafe Ambrosia regular stops on every trip. Recently on my bicycle ride to Ambrosia I passed Happy Elephant and promised myself I'd go back before my trip was over. I was not disappointed! Its a small space but comes complete with dining tables, a togo section, and a sushi counter. I was greeted warmly and invited to try to the Thai tea on the house. I chose the coconut milk version and it was very nice. Anyway, to the Food! I ordered the tempeh over broccoli in garlic sauce and chose the black rice instead of the jasmine or brown. The tempeh was great and came in small 2 inch cutlets but the star was the garlic sauce and black rice. It wasn't a lot of food though so I also ordered the elephant sushi roll (I think). After the tempeh main I had to wait a bit for the sushi roll and I actually began to think I was full enough that I would just take the sushi to go. BUt when it arrived I had no choice; it was an elegantly presented inside-out sushi roll with an avocado-slice blanket. Inside was asparagus, carrots and other things (which I don't remember) but I suspect a key ingredient was the veganaise. I haven't seen this used in vegan sushi before so it was a nice surprise. As good as the tempeh dish was, and as full as I thought I had been, the sushi roll was even better. All told the bill came to a little over $20 so it was kind of an expensive lunch....ok so not everyone needs to pig out like me....but it was worth it.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 04, 2015

Pros: presentation, taste

Cons: price

Delicious food! Friendly owners! - Edit

The food was so good that we scraped the last bits of our plates! We ordered Tofu Sate as an appetizer and green and massaman curry with jasmin rice for mains.

When we arrived the owner offered us kale chips and free drinks on the house (thai iced tea and lemongrass juice). We also also got a small desert on the house!

This place is fantastic!

Pros: excellent value, friendly staff, good value

Great new vegan restaurant in Long Beach! - Edit

I found this restaurant on Happy Cow, but it had not yet opened when I looked for it. Today I went back there with my niece. We arrived before 5pm to discover they were closed between 3pm and 5pm. However, the owner was nice enough to open the restaurant for us!

It was difficult to decide what to order. Everything on the menu looked delicious. The owner gave us a vegan Thai Iced Tea and kale chips on the house! We decided on chard cups as an appetizer. I removed the red peppers from mine, as I do not like spicy food. It was delicious.

As an entree I had the Pad Thai and my niece had the yellow curry with black rice. We both loved our meals. Not spicy (thankfully.)

After our meal the owner gave us a dessert on the house! Yams in a delicious coconut sauce. I definitely want to return and try everything on the menu- especially the sushi!

Pros: Delicious, Accommodating, Friendly

Cons: Closed between 3pm and 5pm

Return to Long Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Happy Elephant Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5870 times since Jun 2014.