Happiness Cafe

• ( 27 reviews )

1688 Hostetter Rd Ste C, San Jose, California, USA, 95131

Vegan Chinese bubble tea shop next to Ranch 99 Supermarket. Offers a large variety of beverages including smoothies and juices; plus has shaved ice and vegan ice cream. In fall 2012 started to offer hot food entrees like chow mein. Open Mon 11:00am-7:00pm, Thu-Sun 11:00am-7:00pm. Closed Tue-Wed.

Categories: Vegan, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by CPereida!

hetalshah24

Points +99

27 Aug 2021

Small vegan casual place near Ranch 99

Pho was good. Guava cheesecake was ok. Would definitely visit this place again to try everything on their menu.

Updated from previous review on 2021-08-27

AshleyVentura

16 Apr 2021

Great food and service

My boyfriend and i got the waffles, BLT, and pigs in the blanket and they were all amazing.
The women who took our order and served us was super friendly and adorable, would 100% recommend.

RoseOfVega

Points +36

15 Feb 2021

Friendly staff and something for everyone!

I've been here several times and the service is consistently helpful and friendly. Its small so order in advance or take away is best. The "happiness over rice" and "Avocado Rolls" are my favorites.

They have delicious ice cream and desserts too. I am not a fan of faux fish but have had some of the other faux meats and they are pretty good.

Pros: Happiness Over Rice , Avocado Rolls, Friendly service

SamanthaKTeng

Points +1469

12 Feb 2021

Food is super good!

At first this place seemed like more of a bubble tea/snack/ice cream place but there’s quite a bit of food on the menu and it’s super yummy!
The service is great. The people are so incredibly kind, gracious and friendly, she really makes you feel so welcomed.

We had the avocado roll, creamy corn soup w/ organic baguette, rice noodle soup w/ phish balls, ocean sub and happiness over rice. Came back for the rice noodle soup w/ phish balls. I love that soup.

The avocado roll is ridiculously good. It’s like a crispy roti wrap filled with crunchy lettuce and avocado with a sweet Chili dipping sauce.
The corn soup had good flavour but we would’ve liked it more if it were thicker and had more corn.
The rice noodle soup was so yummy! Tasted exactly like Hong Kong style noodle soups I had many times before when I wasn’t vegan.
The sweet and sour dish was just like sweet and sour pork.

bsewall

Points +28

17 Jan 2021

Always Wonderful

Avocado Rolls, Ocean Melt, Noodle soup, Patty Melt, desserts, and bobas are our go-tos. Excellent and friendly owners!

Pros: Consistent, Quick, Comfort

crow610

Points +291

11 Aug 2020

Great little veg restaurant

Not a big boba drinker so wasn’t so excited about the vegan boba but when I saw they had noodle soup, something I loved to eat before going vegan, I knew I had to try it. The broth was flavorful and had lots of noodles & veggies and the mock meat was very close to what I’ve had before.

tibbsannatina

Points +125

31 May 2020

A very Happy place

Once you enter this place you feel the Love! A wonderful owner passionate about the vegan cause and food. A nice variety of food that make you feel comfortable and full. We very much enjoyed their sandwiches and will definitely come back to try something else.

Pros: Wonderful owner, Very good food, Varied vegan food

frozenfriedrice

Points +138

29 Mar 2020

Friendly, Great Boba

I visited just before all the COVID-19 craziness and haven't had a chance to go back since.

Went for Thai iced tea with pearl and I want to go back to try more of their beverages and food. As other reviews indicate, the avocado roll is pretty amazing. Also got to try the happiness over rice and chicken and waffle. Not bad, but the roll was definitely the best out of the food we got.

I spoke with who I believe is one of the owners. Super friendly and sweet. Part of why I want to go back.

Pros: Parking, beverage variety, friendly

SabrinaLucas

Points +275

06 Mar 2020

Avocado Roll for the win!!

Absolutely delicious!! I am hooked. Been back twice in a week to have it. Fast service. Very filling. Yum.

Pros: Avocado roll is to die for

naama651

Points +372

12 Jan 2020

Great vegan place

The food was very good. The menu is really big and the owner was very nice, I also bought there some vegan cookies to take home. Hope to come back soon and try more dishes!

Pros: Only vegan

pritchstan

Points +5256

12 Oct 2019

Good stop

We've had several items on their menu. They are generally very quick and the owner is always very kind.

The shop is located beside 99 ranch and there is a large parking lot.

The store itself is fairly small, but not tiny. They have a good variety on their menu.

Favorite dishes: happiness over rice, Avocado roll, Noodle soup

Not our favorite: Patty Melt, Strawberry ice cream

Most other menu items we found to be average. We thought the Thai tea tasted watered down or diluted but that could be due to the fact that we always got take out and perhaps the ice melted.

We found their pricing to be average or a little below, so a good value.

Pros: Avocado roll so good, Happiness over rice delish, Affordable pricing

vividly_living_

Points +70

Vegetarian
13 Apr 2019

Yum!

I crave the avocado rolls all the time! We also enjoyed the ice cream

Pros: Delicious food, Great environment

badgirlsvegan

Points +1602

23 Jan 2019

Good junk food!

I crave ice cream and junk foods from time to time and this place satisfies that! Not going for dinner, but snacks and desserts is great. The avocado spring rolls are the best.

ajnaresh

Points +62

11 Dec 2018

Great Selection of items and the only vegan ice cream place in the South Bay

Located close to I-880, this is a small vegan restaurant/cafe with a rich menu.
Love the bobba tea and dessert selection there, this is the only vegan restaurant (that I know of) with ice cream selection in the area.

Tip: Be sure to get a drink voucher. You get a stamp each time you order drinks there. Once it fills up you get a free drink.

Pros: Great selection for a small cafe, Best vegan dessert variety in the area

Cons: Small space so not great for large groups

SaiPanneerselvam

Points +22

14 Nov 2018

Excellent

Great food! Great staff! Two gf options but the ice cream is very good

chtnydv

Points +13

Vegetarian
15 Sep 2018

One of the best vegan food I've had in my whole life!

The best tasting vegan food out there. Period. The sandwiches taste almost like their non vegetarian counterparts. I was surprised to get the same flavor so much so that I had to recheck the restaurant if it was vegan. 😂 Try their blts especially the bacon one. Really great.

alexandra_vegan

Points +1549

17 May 2018

Nice teas and smoothies

Loved their taro smoothie and the hibiscus tea with boba. They use compostable plastic cups (those you can't compost at home), but please bring your own container!
They also sell snacks, chocolates and savoury treats.
Plenty of parking

Pros: All vegan, Plenty of parking

HauntedNix

Points +50

05 Dec 2017

Little Vegan Gem

Being on a quick lunch break, I was looking for something quick and simple...and vegan! Happiness Cafe did not disappoint. Their patty melt was hot, quick and delicious. Give their Black Milk Tea a try. You won't regret it.

Pros: Quick, Friendly

Cons: Packed parking lot

Maganda

Points +495

03 Oct 2017

Slice of Happyness

Hotdog sandwich, avocado roll, corn soup, mashed potatoes, taro smoothie and hot tofu with red beans and tapioca —all good! Service with a smile. Clean restroom. It’s a place I am happy to visit again even if it’s an hour away from home.

AshleyLorden

Points +921

13 Aug 2017

Fun snacks/treats in Asian shopping area

Located in a strip mall which seemed to have all Asian shops (including several other boba tea cafes), Happiness Cafe is a pretty typical boba shop except that they are all vegan! They have an ice cream case with 8 flavors you can order as scoops or milkshakes, a medium-sized menu of snack foods (mostly unhealthy), and a few sweets including cake and Chinese desserts. That in addition to the boba drinks which is a pretty basic/standard menu. When we visited, the pearls were a little bit hard on our drinks, but that can happen sometimes. The avocado roll was delicious. It was actually hard to find a parking spot despite the large parking lot as many people were there Saturday evening. I thought it was slightly overpriced for the quality but it was consistent with usual boba cafes. I would go back as it's exciting to see all-vegan specialty businesses!

Pros: All vegan, Fast, Nice service

Cons: I probably wouldn't call it a "meal", Parking was difficult

AllenJeng

Points +34

22 Jul 2017

Excellent service and great foods

Try avocado rolls and noodle soup

Pros: Great service , Reasonable prices, Great foods

alexdbunch

Points +35

08 Jun 2017

Good variety

This little cafe has an amazing variety of boba teas, ice cream, sweet treats, cakes and shaved ice. They also have a lot of food like hot dogs, pasta, traditional Asian rice dishes and deli style sandwiches.

Pros: Lots of variety , outdoor seating.

Cons: Small tables

adawn

10 May 2017

EVERYTHING is delicious!

Husband and I have gone to Happiness Cafe multiple times! It's one of our favorite places! All of the dishes we have tried are delicious! The Thai iced tea, smoothies coffee are all delicious! When we have a sweet tooth our favorite thing is the waffle that comes with two scoops of ice cream, whipped cream, fresh fruit, chocolate drizzle and maple syrup! The owners and all of the staff are super friendly! Absolutely love this cafe!

Pros: Everything is vegan!

Danithedonut

Points +25

06 Aug 2016

I FEEL LOVED HERE

Happiness Cafe is utterly awesome and a true delight. I was first introduced 2 months ago when I first became vegan is here is some honest, real truth; THEY HAVE THE BEST THAI TEA AND RICE! Not to mention, they have a darling restaurant with fantastic food. Oh my good god, it's so good!! They've got some tasty avocado rolls and even ice cream (all vegan)!

I absolutely love this place, they have a special place in my heart and I could not possibly be more grateful to have found them! The people whom work here are lovely and I love them too! So if you're wondering where to go for some lunch or dinner, THIS IS THE PLACE!!

SunnySusi

Points +63

16 Jul 2016

Vegan Ice Cream Shop!!!

This place is a vegan ice cream shop and bubble tea place that has added some delicious food to their menu, making it a cafe. It also serves Taiwanese shaved ice desserts, but I was so taken by the vegan ice cream, that I never tried those.

As a vegan ice cream afficionado, I can say that this ice cream was some of the richest I have tasted, and it is excellent. I also had the jasmine bubble tea, which was also very good.

The owners are lovely devoted vegans and very sweet. When I moved away from the Bay Area, we had a big dinner with my friends at the Milpitas Loving Hut, then moved down to Happiness Cafe for dessert and they were very gracious with our rowdy behavior.

Give this place a try!!!!

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-16

Pros: Vegan Ice Cream that tastes delicious , Bubble Tea is awesome, esp jasmine green tea , Very sweet vegan owners

chobesoy

Points +933

28 Jul 2015

delightful and delicious place to cool down

I didn't realize my family was taking me to a vegan place, they were simply going to their favorite place to get taiwanese shaved ice, a cafe that also has one of their favorite veggie wraps that they'll sometimes grab and go. Finding that the place also happened to be vegan was bonus!
I love it when non-vegans enjoy a place such that the vegan label is irrelevant and even forgotten :)

So my family orders a round of various mountains of shaved ice (it was near 90 degrees outside) and I jumped to the ice cream section and had a hard time deciding which decadent flavor I wanted...I eventually decide upon the caramel fudge. I learn all of the ice cream is soy based and certified vegan. The condensed milk drizzled on the desserts is home made at the location and it's absolutely delicious.

The owner and I get into a chat about HappyCow and find that they're big fans, and use the app when traveling. They wanted to say hello to anyone out there using HappyCow and to drop by for one of their snacks (like vegan BLT or the popular avocado wrap) or to cool off with the iced sweets.

I'll be there again next time I'm in the area. In the meantime, my relatives will be there as usual dropping by frequently to their favorite just-so-happens-to-be-vegan eatery :)

Pros: super friendly and wonderful staff, delicious!, lots to choose from

Cons: need a location close to me :)

CPereida!

07 Mar 2013

Amazing Thai Tea!

These guys know me here already!
I honestly think that their Thai tea is better than any non-vegan counterpart. Its hands down amazing, delicious, magical.

Everything is vegan: pearl drinks and food too along with some pre-packaged snacks and treats that my dog happens to LOVE (no my doggie is not vegan... yet).

Definitely check it out. If you don't believe me when I say that they're AWESOME, just check out their yelp page.

Pros: delicious, Staff is rediciously nice (owners too), Pearls are included in price

Cons: Small; good for to go only, cash only

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Happiness Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.