First Review by Krutulis

excellent and affordable - Edit

I have been there several times. They have a bit larger variety than some other veg restaurants in Shanghai. The mock meats are good, as are the traditional Chinese dishes. It's very close to the Bund and the prices are very reasonable. The owner and staff are friendly... English might be spoken, but it's a picture menu so no worries about the language barrier.

Very homestyle restaurant, spread out over several floors. It's rarely crowded, but don't let the sparse crowds fool you, the food is the real deal. Funny thing: they give you a tote bag when you dine there, and they have several different kinds, lol. This is my fave vegetarian restaurant in China, and I have been to many.

Pros: convenient to the (central) Bund , inexpensive, tasty

Cons: limited parking

Closed for the day? - Edit

This place was closed on a Monday during prime lunch time. They appeared to still be in business. However their hours indicate they should be open. I will come here again to clarify their hours.

Didn't enjoy it at all - Edit

We were excited to try this place. The reviews seemed ok and they don't use MSG, so we thought we might have struck a winner. When the food came out though we quickly saw that it certainly wasn't what we had hoped. Everything was pretty lacklustre - the food did not feel fresh or have any vibrance. A lot of factory made mock meats were used along with way too much oil. Next to us sat a creepy poster sized photograph of a Chinese woman who grinned down upon us.. apart from her we were the only people in there and we started to see why. After a while we decided to call it quits and went to finish our meal elsewhere.

Cons: musty, stale, oil, factory made mock meats

Great place to eat in Shanghai - Edit

Great vegetarian restaurant located on Zhapu Rd... Can always get a seat, young girl speaks a little English, English menu, all the food I have tried so far is Vegan. Mock meat meals start at around 25yuan, rice meals start from 12yuan, soup from around 12yuan, black tea/watermelon is provided free of charge. No funny business with this place, very honest people, and the prices are very reasonable for Shanghai. 1x person can eat a good meal for less than 40yuan. Overall one of the best vegetarian restaurants I have eaten in between Beijing/Shanghai.

Pros: Great food, Cheap, Honest

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Hao Niang Niang Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1699 times since Jul 2009.