Hansa's Restaurant

72-74 North Street (at near Briggate), Leeds, England, LS2 7PN

Vegetarian restaurant established since the 1980s. Features Gujarati style Indian cooking. Vegans to specify. Open Mon-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 6:30pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-2:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by Stevie

Recommended - Edit

I would highly recommend this, some of the best most authentic Indian food I've tried. The portions were a bit small but very high in quality, and very very yummy!

There was plenty of choice for vegans.

Make sure you try a vegan lassi!

Pros: Amazing food

Always One of my Favourites - Edit

Quite simply, this is my favourite vegetarian Indian restaurant. Don't go expecting to be served the typical fayre of korma, jalfrezi, madras and balti etc. Hansas has it's own amazing range of unique dishes practically all of which are or can be vegan. Generally very friendly and young staff, but they can sometimes be a little impersonal when the place is busy. The proud owner Mrs Hansa also works here and can be seen serving food and chatting to guests.

There's nothing quite like a few beers in The Reliance pub next door followed by a wonderful meal at Hansas. We visit Leeds at least twice a year always returning to Hansas. Friends of ours wouldn't consider going anywhere else now. I would suggest the 'spice bomb' to start followed by the Bhaji Paneer (with potato instead of cheese for vegan) accompanied with chapatis and rice.

From experience I can also highly recommend the Thali or the banquet where you let the staff know your personal tastes and they do the rest.

If you happen to be in Leeds on a Sunday, the Hansas buffet at £10.95 per person served between 12-2pm consists of a multitude of spicy salads and side dishes, two hot main courses, rices, popadoms, chapatis and pakora. It's a genuine sensation.

Fair enough, if you're after a more traditional curry then go elsewhere. There are many other Indian restaurants in Leeds City Centre, but they're not all meat free. Hansas is Gujarati, so expect something different, more inventive and exceptionally tasty.

Pros: food, Great food, Sunday buffet

Cons: can be expensive, young staff

Beautiful restaurant with great authentic food - Edit

I seem to remember going to Hansa's a few years ago but didn't know that until I arrived. Its a really nice restaurant and the food is delicious. The dishes are mostly Gujarati and I tried some new stuff which was very interesting to my adventurous palate. Plenty of vegan options too, especially with the desserts. Yum yum!

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Friendly and helpful staff, Very delicious food

Hansa's Down Great Food! - Edit

Just visited this superb restaurant for the first time after hearing some glowing recommendations from a friend. As already stated this is not your ordinary Indian restaurant. The cuisine here is specifically Gujarati cooking so if you you're used to the normal selection of curries then you will find them missing from this menu. However what I can say is that you will not be disappointed. The food here is immaculately prepared and bursting with flavour. I went here with my brother (a meat eater) and even he was impressed with the cuisine on offer.

For starter I got the spice bomb, which was superb - a spicy masala mixture sandwiched between two potato pieces then deep fried in a batter, whilst my brother got the Muthiya - grated cabbage and gram-flour mixture, tempered with mustard and sesame seeds, served with red pepper chutney... very nice indeed.

For main I got the Saag Paneer curry, with my brother getting the Channa curry, both of which were delicious. Hansa's is definitely worth a visit and you can see why it has won many awards, so check it out if you get the chance.

We recently went back to Hansas to try the Sunday buffet, which had a superb selection of starters including some excellently spiced salads, rotis and raita dips. The mains then followed, my favourite being the lentil curry, which was delicious.

Pros: Great Tasting Food, Great Selection, Reasonably priced

Superior Indian Cuisine - Edit

Simply the best.
My vegetarian bf and I visit Hansa's for any occasion we can justify, we truly love the food here.

Updated from previous review on Friday February 28, 2014

Pros: Taste, Choice

Authentic, gorgeous food - Edit

I'm a huge fan of spicy food - but not everyone is! Most dishes are quite hot which is fine for me, but not if you dine with people who can't handle that much heat. The restaurant is pleasant, and there are so many vegan options. I can tell a lot of love and passion goes into creating the food there.
However, I feel that it's more on the expensive side, especially for the less-generous portion sizes.

Pros: Authentic, Beautiful restaurant, Extensive menu

Cons: Spicy!, Bigger portions for the price, please!

A great Indian-Vegetarian Resturaunt! - Edit

The location is a little far out from the city centre, but worth the walk! If you like Indian food and are vegetarian this is the place for you!! You can order anything off the menu without having to think if it's vegetarian!

Pros: Great food!

Cons: Quite a walk to get to.

Authentic Indian restaurant for happy vegans - Edit

This vegetarian Indian restaurant offers plenty of vegan options and typical Indian food. However, even more than in India, some dishes are very spicy! So beware if you're sensitive to spices... The place is pleasant (particularly the mezzanine) and the staff is friendly. You have significant vegan dishes, including the Thali that can be made vegan upon request, and desserts. I tried the Thali that was nicely presented and good (but so spicy!). Portions are generous so don't be afraid to be hungry. In terms of desserts, I choose the Sheezo, a typical hot Indian dessert with semolina and dried fruits: great!

It's better to book a table since the place is famous here.

Pros: authentic Indian food with vegan options, decent prices, generous portions, pleasant place, friendly staff

Cons: very spicy, few vegan desserts

Uncomparably Indian - a really lovely place - Edit

The first surprise was the nice decoration as lonely planet had called it quite unassuming or plain - which it isn't.

The menu offered a lot of specialities which are otherwise hard to come by, or only in cook-books but nor in restaurants in Europe.

Everything we tried was tasty, delicious, and let us look for what came next. The staff was charming, and the prices are cheap, compared to the quality of the food.

Whenever at Leeds, I'll make sure to be able to go there again.

Pros: Authentic and creative menu, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff, and friendly prices

Cons: None., Or if: Can't it be wholly vegan?

Good but be aware of the spice - Edit

Hansa's is one of my favourite place in Leeds. I have been here for 2 years and a half and I've been eating there many times. It is always a good choice to make meat eater friends enjoy a good veggie or vegan meal. I love the food and the people there are very kind. Only tiny tiny downside is that sometimes it is very spicy. But do not fear as you can always ask them for something less spicy. I would recommend telling them right away if you can't deal with spice! One of my german friend can really not deal with spice and she couldn't eat her meal.... It was suppose to not be spicy. She enjoyed the desert and something like 4 lassis though :)

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Beautiful restaurant

Cons: Too spicy sometimes, A bit pricy

Gujarati Goodness - Edit

Hansa's is a must for anyone who is finding the usual mixed vegetable madras/korma/jalfrezi offerings a little dull.
This isn't a sterotypically 'English' Indian restaurant. The menu is from the Gujarat region of India where food is traditionally vegetarian. Of special note is the Chilli Paneer, maybe a little too hot for some, but the taste is well worth the heat.
The staff and atmosphere are just right and, although a little pricey, the food is still great value.

Hansa's is one of our 'go to' restaurants when we have visitors and it hasn't let us down yet.

Updated from previous review on Friday July 19, 2013

Pros: Gujarati cuisine, Vegan options, Consistent experience

good but too expensive... - Edit

Dosai are not meant to be like that... and thinking it costs 50 p to eat it in india and pay at least 10 times more, and knowing how to prepare it ( just a lentil and rice fermented paste, people!) reveals how pricey it is, or rather shouldn't be...
Very nice staff indeed, nice idea, nice place, nice concept... but a little too pricey...

Pros: nice staff, nice hansa's cookery book

Cons: too expensive

Spicing - Edit

I found the spicing not to my personal liking. I went to Hansa's with my brother in 2002. She is a great cook but I find Chili difficult to handle and certain types of spicing combinations are not to my personal liking. Great ambience and this restaurant should be supported.

Pros: ambience

Cons: spicy

Awesome! - Edit

Hansa's is a wonderful restaurant:family run, world-class original vegetarian food which is not the standard Indian fare, but one of a kind. It's tasty, friendly, homey and quite affordable given the quality of the food. Hansa is always present herself, looking after the food and the guests. She has two recipe books out, and these are well worth having. A lovely place which we are lucky to have in Leeds.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, family restaurant

small portions - Edit

Small portions, fiery food and its expensive also.A biot disappointing is what i am saying.Should be only half the price that it actually is i guess.

Pros: fiery food

Cons: tiny servings, pricey

Bir disappointing - Edit

It may be because we recently came back from Ahmedabad in India where the vegetarian curry's were so very tasty with different flavours that my partner and I were rather disappointed with the food at Hansa's. First of all let me say say that everything we ate here was fresh and edible and we loved the fact that there was no meat anywhere on the menu. The waitress was pleasant and the restaurant itself was clean if a little dated. However, the food was nothing special and the portion sizes were much smaller than any of the Indian restaurant's we have been to recently. Maybe we ordered the wrong dishes on the night but we expected different tastes and what we got were dishes that all were much of a muchness the starters in particular.

Pros: all vegetarian/vegan, friendly staff

Cons: very small portions, quite expensive, same flavours in dishes

Wonderful restaurant - Edit

Love this restaurant. The food is delicious and it's a friendly smart restaurant. Great choice of dishes, including very good choice of vegan starters, mains, sides and desserts. The tahali is a good option to sample a good range of different dishes but you need to be hungry as the dish is very plentiful. The price is reasonable for the standard of food. There is a great bar next door called the Reliance if you fancy a pre dinner drink,they serve a great range of continental and vegan lagers and they provide soya milk for tea/ coffee.

Pros: great food, great vegan choice, lovely restaurant

Decent food. - Edit

I've been going to Hansa's on and off over the past five years, and have found it to be a decent restaurant serving traditional vegetarian dishes.

There's a thali that can be made vegan for £9.99 and is tasty and very filling. The spice bomb is definitely worth a try, and the other dishes on the menu provide a wide variety. If you're after a considerately prepared Indian meal this is the place to go in Leeds.

The Sunday buffet is also pretty good, it's alright for vegans, and they'll make some puris for you if you ask. Can be a bit samey though.

Pros: Good variety for vegans, Individually prepared dishes, Attentive service

Cons: Sunday buffet can be a bit samey.

Disappointing - Edit

I've been to Hansa'a twice now and I have to admit that on both occasions I have been disappointed with the food. I found both curries we ordered very very hot to the point that they were not pleasant to eat - and it's not that I'm not used to spicy hot food, so not sure if we just had bad luck.
On the positive side: It's great that it's all veggie so lots of choice and although it's a little out of the way, it's next door to the Reliance, so handy for a drink before or after.

Pros: choice, next to Reliance

Cons: food disappointing, a little out of the way

Favourite restaurant by far - Edit

Hansa's is definately my favourite restaurant. The food is always delicious, there is a great ambience and the staff are always friendly, even when its packed (which it often is) booking is recommended on a weekend. My only problem with this restaurant is that I use it as a comparison everytime I eat elsewhere. If you have a chance buy Hansa's cookbook, it is worth it for the cabbage, potato and pea curry alone.

Pros: great atmosphere, delicious food, friendly staff

Cons: not open sunday evening

Ok but you can get a better veg curry in Leeds! - Edit

We went to Hansa's Friday evening in May 08 having booked a table in advance. The website looked impressive and the restaurant was lovely. It was a bit out of the way to get to, away from the main Leeds bars. We took a carnivore friend with us who was happy to go veggie for the night. It was disappointing. The wine and service were lovely and the price very reasonable but the main curry dishes not impressive at all. I ordered a cauliflour curry, my vegan boyfriend ordered a runner bean curry and the meat eater went for a potato one. The cauliflour was very nice but the portion was too small. The runner bean and potato ones were not good at all - we wondered if a whole potato had even been used in the latter! We filled up on the lovely coriander rice and excellent fenugreek bread but we would have had preferred a hearty curry to go with! The carnivore is not giving up meat any time soon following this! I would recommend going to Akbar's (2 sites in Leeds, one on Greek Street) and choosing off their veggie list if you want a great curry in Leeds.

Pros: Excellent service, Great carbs

Cons: Small portions, out of the way

Hansa's, Leeds - Edit

This place has won awards as an Indian restaurant and it's not difficult to see why. I've eaten here a couple of times; Sensational. Great food giving my taste buds a real day out. Those little bread things melted in my mouth. No probs getting vegan food when discussing with the waiting staff. I went to the Sunday buffet with a non veg*n friend who was pretty aprehensive about what was in store. He loved it and this seems to have helped open his eyes a little.

Restricted opening at weekends (closed Saturday daytime and only open for lunch on Sundays). The choice is a bit limited in the Sunday kunch buffet.

I found the food here to be out of this world.

Pros: Sensational food, Sensational food, Sensational food

Cons: Restricted weekend hours

Return to Leeds Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hansa's Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5763 times since Aug 2007.