Hanny Green Rumah Herbal and Healthy Cafe

0361-5581459

Jalan Popies Lane I, no. 5, Block A, Kuta, Bali, Indonesia,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small casual cafe offering salads, juices, pasta and more. Has labeled vegan choices. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Balinese, Non-veg

First Review by Kirke

Disappointing despite low expectations - Edit

Despite the mixed reviews on happy cow, we decided to give this place a try due to the promise of clearly marked vegan menu options. Although the menu did indeed have many options for vegetarians (marked V) and vegans (marked VV), we had a pretty bad experience here overall - and we went with low expectations to begin with.

We tried two 'juices' - called 'stop' and 'passion' - and they were basically coloured water. We couldn't taste any of the listed ingredients (e.g. ginger, carrot, spinach), and they were both served with a pot of honey. Although we appreciated the fact that the honey had not been mixed into the drinks, it was a shame that it was served to us since we ordered all vegan food (but as other reviewers have said, this can maybe be forgiven as not everyone considers honey non-vegan).

Food wise, we ordered four vegan dishes: the hanny green's vegan pasta, the vegetarian mi goreng (fried noodles), the vegan arancini balls, and the fried eggplant. The pasta came first, and was actually pretty tasty, though my partner thought it tasted cheesy so we were a bit unsure as to whether it was definitely vegan. The mi goreng came next, and came with chicken! We obviously sent it back and the staff were very apologetic. When the veg version came out it was very sweet tasting (hopefully not with honey?), and right at the bottom of the dish was a small piece of chicken. 10 points for figuring out what happened there. Not good. The next dish was the arancini - bland, deep fried balls of plain boiled rice with a few token pieces of veg mixed through. The flavourless rice balls were served on a bed of raw carrot and cabbage which was arguably the best part of this dish. Finally, the fried eggplant arrived. Very oily cubes of eggplant coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried (was the bread vegan? Were the breadcrumbs stuck on with egg?). From the menu I had assumed that the eggplant would be panfried, not breaded and deep fried, but fair enough that was my mistake (and the dish was still marked vegan on the menu - maybe it was).

The staff were friendly, but we were unconvinced they understood the meaning of vegan - we couldn't get a clear answer when we asked about ingredients and the chef obviously thinks it's acceptable to re-serve a dish initially cooked with meat to a vegan so long as (most of) the chicken has been picked out. :(

We won't be going back.

Pros: friendly staff, cheap

Cons: unsure whether the vegan food is actually vegan, VERY watery juices, poor attitude of the chef (serving a dish initiall

Great service, good choice for vegans, brilliant price! - Edit

I ate here alone and the staff we lovely and made me feel very welcome. Happy to see multiple vegan options clearly labelled on the menu, as well as soya shakes and hundreds of fruit juices. I had a creamy coconut and green veg pasta with a side of tofu and a bottle of water for 49k (around £2.80) - definitely recommend!

Pros: Lots of vegan and vegetarian options, Really good portion size for the price, Off of the busy highstreet

Cons: Noisey as situated on a corner so you have contact, Not the easiest place to find

Lousy - Edit

A bad example for vegetarianism.

What kind of health cafe sells cigarettes and allows its staff to smoke in the dining area?

Food was really rubbish too. A pricey juice tasted mainly of water, spring rolls had dreadful batter, crostini was completely soggy and uncooked, tempeh steak came with tomato sauce!!!

Service was incredibly slow and waiter could not speak English.

I recommend - find another place!

Pros: central location

Cons: Low quality cuisine, Low quality ingredients, very slow service

a nice small place - Edit

I found this small place during a walkabout. It gave me surprise as the food was very good and i felt friendly athmosphere.
And no expensive price!

hey, that's wrong address - Edit

Pls notice that the right address is Jalan Poppies 1 , not Poppies 2. go in Poppies 1 you will find it ! Very good selectio of coffees available now

Return to Bali Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hanny Green Rumah Herbal and Healthy Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.