HanGawi

• Friend
212-213-0077

12 E 32nd St (at Midtown East, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10016

HanGawi's all-vegan menu is based on mountain roots, greens, and grains that have comprised the staple diet of ancient Koreans. Enjoy vegetarian dumplings, tofu clay pot in ginger sauce, vermicelli delight, multi-grain rice, bean curd with kimchi and vegetables. Traditional teas, folk and zen music, decor filled with antiques and artifacts, a relaxed atmosphere of peace and refuge. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon-Fri 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sat 1:00pm-10:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Korean

First Review by Stevie

Wouldn't come back - Edit

We had high hopes for this place.
It's a Korean restaurant in Midtown Manhattan. We found the atmosphere of the place quite nice and the staff was very friendly and helpful.
We chose to order the lunch menu ($25) that included : 1) salad of the week, 2) dumplings, 3) rice bowl w/ vegetables and 4) weekly desert (chocolate ice cream).
The portions were okay and the food was overall good. The rice bowl needed more flavour, but everything else tasted good.
However this is when the problems started. A table of two ladies just next to us felt sick after the meal and threw up (the had had the lunch menu as well). It didn't hit us that hard but after leaving the place and for next hours we didn't feel very good either.
Maybe it was just bad luck but I don't think i'll be eating here again.

Pros: atmosphere, service

Cons: not sure about food quality/hygiene, pricy

An Authentic Experience! - Edit

Hangawii is a lovely authentic Korean dining experience where you leave your shoes at the door and sit in very comfortably cushioned booths. Candle lit and wonderful decor. The drinks and food are one of a kind!

Pros: Authentic , Incredible food , Great Service

Cons: Pricey

can't stop thinking about it - Edit

I had dinner here and I loved it so much. The atmosphere, apps, entrées, and desserts!!! It was all so good!!!

Wow - Edit

The food here is incredible, and the ambiance is just amazing and unique. My dad is a grumpy person who hates everything...this is literally the only restaurant he's been to in years that he actually LOVED...he couldn't stop talking about it for weeks!

Pros: Incredible food, Wonderful ambiance

Elegant but far overpriced - Edit

It is a elegant korean restaurant that serves vegan meals. The deco is very pleasant and the experience of eating while seated in a hole deserves to be known. However, the food is not so exciting at all. It is all about sauces. And the worst thing, it is very expensive. I had to pay 19$ for one eggplant. It is way too much for me.

Pros: something different

Cons: very expensive, dark

TASTY KOREAN - Edit

Great food in midtown, nice place for a quiet dinner with friends. vegan friendly, had a hot pot dish. Decor is great and you get the experience of an old traditional Korean restaurant. Be sure to make a reservation!

Best deal is the Prix Fixe! - Edit

HanGawi's Prix Fixe menu may seem pricey on the surface, but you will leave stuffed, and taken care of like never before! It's a bargain to get that level of service, with so many finely prepared flavors, course after course! This is a perfect birthday, anniversary or must-visit when you're in NYC to have the best vegan Korean meal of your life!! It was so special, it felt holy. I will always be "HanGawi" for more!!

teeny tiny portions - Edit

The ambiance here is lovely and the service is great. The food is good and very nicely presented. BUT everything is overpriced and the portions are ridiculously small. I paid $17 for a mixed pancake appetizer and it was 3 pancakes, each one cut into little pieces. I got a prix fixed lunch for $24 and it came with the smallest salad I've ever been served, although it was delicious. It came with a dessert which was 2 one inch diameter scoops of vegan chocolate ice cream served in a gigantic bowl. An hour later I was hungry again. With a tip, my tab was $70 for the prix fixe lunch, the extra appetizer and a cocktail. It was a good meal but not a great one, especially for the price. I've always been curious about this place and, my curiosity having been satisfied, I will not return.

Pros: good service, nice atmosphere

Cons: expensive, very very small portions

great ambiance - Edit

Ordered a mushroom medley with spinach and it was delicious. The ambiance is very nice with dim lighting and candles. Our waiter was very friendly. The food is definitely on the pricier side, but it's a nice place to go on a special occasion.

Fantastic Korean Vegan! - Edit

Delicious, formal, pricey, traditional. Shoes are taken off when entering. Seating is traditional Korean style, with recessed leg-area. Many many delicious options - the tofu steak was superb, as was the service! Highly recommended!

Pros: great selection, great food , great service

Cons: pricey

best vegan Korean ever! - Edit

I know is not Korean but make sure to get a vegan cheese cake together with your traditional Korean dish . You will love it!

Excelente!!! - Edit

Increíble lugar!
Muchísimas opciones divertidas para probar.
La atención es excelente y precisa.

Cons: Un poco ruidoso para ser un restaurante oriental.

A New York City Vegan Gem - Edit

A MUST FOR VEGANS VISITING NYC! The steamed dumplings were out of this world as was the Korean beer. The kale dumplings were so good. The food was inventive and very satisfying and authentic. The kimchi was very nice and served complimentary with the meal.

This is a sanctuary in the middle of the hustle and bustle city. Feels like going back in time to a quaint Korean village, you even take youR shoes off at the door which gives your feet a welcome relief from walking the city!

Charming wood decor, very tiny and cozy eating gets everybody settled down from the New York frenzy, the interior looked like something out of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, very enchanting.

Owner was delightful, smiling and polite, all the wait staff in traditional garb gave the atmosphere a sense of respect for the dining experience that has long been forgotten in our western world, very good for the digestion.

The main dishes can be a bit oily, I would ask if they could be made without oil next time. The fried tofu and broccoli was insanely good.

I don't think you can go wrong here, even non-vegan foodies hit this spot apparently which makes me think the quality of this food can give people the nudge to go vegan.

Pros: authentic Korean cuisine, variety and taste, gluten free menu

Cons: a bit oily, not cheap, small, need reservations

Amazing! - Edit

This was our first dinner out in NYC. We sat and ate till we couldn't get up. They just kept bringing more plates! The drinks were divine. Highly recommend HanGawi!

Peaceful (and scrumptious) - Edit

This is far more upscale than the typical vegan establishments that I frequent, but I still highly recommend it. The ambiance and decor are lovely, and the food is sublime. I really like the stone bowl dishes.

I love Korean food, but it can be dicey as a vegan, given the hidden meat/fish products that are common to the cuisine. Hangawi solves this dilemma for me. I don't always splurge on fancy dinners, but when I do, it's often at Hangawi.

Pros: Ambiance, Stone bowls

Okay food, great atmosphere - Edit

I went here for a birthday dinner and was unimpressed by the food. It was underseasoned and I haven't felt the need to return. The ambiance on the other hand was excellent. The restaurant was beautiful and service was great.

Pros: Ambiance

Cons: Okay food

authentic atmosphere! - Edit

We visited NYC for one day and wanted a relaxed vegan place just a moment to escape the crowd.

We ordered the Mini Emperor's Lunch ($22) which wasn't so bad (see pictures above), the service was great and the atmosphere unique.

Pros: nice atmosphere, good service, tasty food

Cons: maybe bigger portion of rice , the price!!

Absolutely inspiring - Edit

I was blown away by the creative, vegan Asian menu. There was so much choice and everything I ate was perfect. I shared three starters: stuffed shiitake mushrooms, kale dumplings and mixed summer/nori roll tasters. My main was a build-your-own wraps. It came with lettuce warps, raw veggies, mushrooms, three kinds of rice and a delicious dipping sauce. For dessert I had their amazing date paste tea, soy ice cream (vanilla/almond and chocolate) and a tofu chocolate pudding (which wasn't that amazing). The atmosphere and decor was authentic and beautiful, and the service was spot on. I highly recommend HanGawi for vegans and non-vegans alike.

Pros: Excellent quality food , Professional service , Great atmosphere

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has HanGawi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.