First Review by katieh

Awesome collard greens! - Edit

I was visiting from out of town and was very excited to try the biscuits and gravy. Every chance I get to try vegan biscuits and gravy, I take it! I'm used to a more traditional southern style, sausage gravy and biscuits, so I was a little disappointed, but the dish was still very good. Would I order it again?...no.

My boyfriend ordered a side of collard greens and garlic mashed potatoes, and holy moly those collards are some of the best I've had! I highly recommend.

More like SCAMdlebar - Edit

It's a pescatarian restaurant. The menu treated veganism like a joke. They can make menu items vegan the same way Taco Bell makes things vegan, by removing the ingredients that contain dairy and not offering a substitute. Unlike T. Bell, everything is ten dollars, even chips and guac, so after looking at the menu I decided not to give them my money.

Pros: It's cool that they don't have cows, pigs, chicken

Cons: My waiter was wearing an NRA hat and had a holier , No substitute for dairy products., They don't seem to take veganism seriously.

I lurve Handlebar! - Edit

I love love love Handlebar! I wish I lived closer so I could go more than once every couple of months! Sooooo delicious! We love the Plantains Maduro, tofu diablo, the fried avocado tacos, french toast, biscuits and gravy, and side collard greens! There are tons of other delicious things there too. We also love their vegan ranch and in house made giardiniera, SOOOO GOOD! They have great mixed drink and beer selections too! In the warm weather they have a wonderful patio out back. Check it out!!!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 21, 2009

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, excellent beer

Cons: usually have a small wait, noisy

It's Portland in Chicago! - Edit

This place totally reminds me of Portland, and in a good way: hipsters everywhere, crowded, loud, and tons of awesome vegan food!

I had the french toast and biscuits and gravy (both veganizable) - totally badass. Other stuff there looked super good too but I could only eat so much. Their Metropolis coffee was outstanding, too. Staff was friendly (hipster surprise!) and we had a nice seat at the bar even while the place was packed. It's often busy so be aware of that. Killer menu with tons of vegan options (not sure why they insist on serving fish...) and near some other cool stuff in Wicker Park too. Handlebar could be the new Pick Me up... (!)

Pros: vegan-friendly, deliciosu, great atmosphere

Cons: busy

Super find in Wicker Park - Edit

We recently stumbled upon this bar when we wanted some late night food in Wicker Park. I had remembered reading about this place as having vegan options. I cannot believe it took me this long to come here! I had a "chicken" ranch salad (all vegan) and it was delicious! My meat eater boyfriend enjoyed some vegan sandwich also. For dessert we had the blueberry hand pies and they were amazing. Definitely recommend Handlebar to others!

Pros: Hand Pies, Not to Busy, Patio

Cons: Staff not super attentive

Love this place - Edit

Handlebar may be one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago. I love the fried pickles with vegan ranch dipping sauce! The mash potatoes are vegan and most of the menu is vegan or can be made vegan. They also have some great cocktails. It is definitely a casual atmosphere and the back patio is great in the summer. The staff is great too... you have to love bike-riding punks and musicians.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Delicious comfort foods, Brunch menu

Cons: Doesn't open until 10am

fried pickles! - Edit

Best fried pickles I have ever had. Okay, I think I've only had them 3 places, but Handlebar's are the best! Love the buffalo 'chicken' wrap. I think the wrap is a better deal than the salad, personally. Awesome staff. Small but respectable beer menu.

Pros: many awesome options, great servers, good beer selection

Cons: serve seafood, loud, a bit pricey

Two Words: Biscuits, Gravy - Edit

I could never say enough good things about Handlebar... where to start. Cyclist friendly, easy to get to from the blue line, incredibly nice and attentive waitstaff, amazing food! If they have the specials, usually they are amazing, the fried pies are to freaking live for...

Try these things: BISCUITS AND GRAVY (the best, by far, vegan by default)... fried pickles and french fries w/vegan ranch dressing, and the buffalo "chicken" wrap. To be honest everything I've had here was at least good, if not awesome - not to mention the prices are fair and affordable.

Pros: Great Food, Very Kind Staff, Good Music

Cons: BUSY on weekends

Delicious!!! - Edit

I visited this place last night after reading all the great reviews on Happycow.com and boy did exceed my expectations. I had the Seitan Stuffed Tortellini and tasted the Spinach Salad (minus the goat cheese of course). So incredibly yummy. The waitstaff was also super nice. I will def be back. Oh and my nonvegan/nonvegetarian friend loved it too!!!

Pros: Many menu options, Nice atmosphere, Great staff

Cons: Yummy food, Very Clean, GO!!!

this would be rated a 5, except they serve fish - Edit

i love everything on the menu(except the fish)!! everytime i have gone to Handlebar everything has been perfectly delicious. It is hard to pick one thing to order because everything sounds awesome and then they have the specials. Plus even my carnivore-friends look forward to eating there...plus they have huge outdoor eating space in the summer!!

Pros: awesome food, good bar, huge outdoor patio

Cons: free bicycle parking, nachos, yep! there are no cons except the fish!!

Good for lunch - Edit

The BBQ seitan sandwich is soooo good! I stopped in for lunch and was surprised at how tasty the food was. It's a little too noisy and crowded for dinner but I'd go back for lunch anytime!

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Generous portions

Cons: Noisy, Good value

Good Vegan Bar Food - Edit

They have a good variety of vegan bar food--the bbq seitan sandwich is great (and huge), as are the fries. The Buffalo 'chicken' wrap is a little on the salty side, but still tastes good. Lots of good beer and other drink specials--I recommend the Saturday margarita (it comes in a pint glass), especially on a nice summer day sitting outside in their "beer garden." They also have brunch which is quite good. The vegan biscuits and gravy are tops on my list.

It does get a bit noisy and crowded on the weekends, but it is often worth the wait.

Pros: good food, big servings

Cons: can be noisy

Dun dun, Seitaaaaaaan! - Edit

This a great Wicker Park spot if you don't feel like eating at Earwax or Sultan's. I've enjoyed every dish I've ever tried (my favorite probably being the BBQ seitan sandwich) and all of the sides are pretty amazing too. In addition, they have a well stocked bar of great micro-brews and lovely outdoor seating when it's warm enough. The service is generally decent/good but I've also been a bit bummed out a couple times with the wait staff after receiving attitude. Their demographic is generally young, hip, and yep, people that like bikes. Handlebar is a good spot and worth trying out at least once. FYI, it fills up quickly and can be a wait. Also it's been known to get noisy and cramped.

Pros: Great food!, Unique dishes., Great selection of booze.

Cons: The wait staff (sometimes)., Noisy & Cramped

Great Vegan Options! - Edit

OK I've eaten here many times since the first time I came here and was compelled to re-review this place. I love this restaurant, as do my non-Vegan friends. I've had something different every time, I've had the Vegan stuffed ravioli [amazing], Vegan Breakfast Burrito [my favorite - and yes I dream about this one ;)], Vegan Mashed Potatoes, and the Vegan Buffalo Chicken Wrap [heaven - as everyone (including the carnivores) agreed]. They also have coffee here too. This is in a great location, the employees are VERY nice, and the decor is quite nice as well. This is among one of my Chicago favorites now, I highly recommend this one! [This place gets 5 cows from me, but it only lets me rate it at 4 since they have meat.]

Ditto to the last reviewer! - Edit

I finally made it over here and had a great server and outstanding food. Pretty much everything is available vegan. The place is very clean and nice, which is a fresh alternative to the other vegan friendly joints in the area ;) I will definitely make a point to go here again!

Pros: tons of vegan options

Fabulous food and atmosphere - Edit

I take every chance I get to eat at The Handlebar in Wicker Park. The food is excellent- delicious, well presented and best of all, affordable. The servers and knowledgeable, cool, and helpful. They also have excellent beer (and non-alcoholic) options. The atmosphere is laid back and dress can be casual since it is a popular bike messenger and Critical Mass spot.

Pros: excellent food, great prices, comfortable atmosphere

Cons: none

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Handlebar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2836 times since Aug 2007.