CLOSED: Hal and Al's

• Vegetarian

Contact 614-375-4812

1297 Parsons Ave (at E Gates), Columbus, Ohio, USA, 43206

Bar and restaurant. Underwent change of ownership July 2014 and is no longer vegan only. Happy hour specials. Live music on weekends. Confirmed closed, July 2014.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by sfnick

Great Vegan bar in Columbus - Edit

Hal and Al's isn't a "vegan bar", it's a bar that just happens to be all vegan. And they do an excellent job at serving delicious, cruelty free bar food. I got 3 beers and a buffalo pizza, all while listening to some great live music.

Local Ciders and Fried Avacados! - Edit

They have an amazing selection of brews! My favorite is the local cranberry cider! Some of them aren't entirely vegan as they contain local honey. Their fried avacados are great!! They have a cute little patio as well as an old school arcade game system. They also have a really diverse amount of shows there that are always a nice surprise! Love seeing this place do so well on Parsons and I feel like it's all the more reason to support it! Love seeing their keg bike at Columbus events such as Pride and Doo Dah! They do a great job of event planning and advertising specials via facebook. Great place to support and help make the neighborhood that much better!

Pros: Excellent Beer Selection, Cool Vibe , Great addition to the neighborhood

Cons: Mostly fried bar food

Ray of Light in a Dark stormy area - Edit

OK maybe thats over the top, but the area of town is slowly coming up, YES the outside is a little hmm what everyone said. Try it when they have the food trucks everylast Sunday of the month. Bring lawn chairs and a fold up table or take it all inside.
OR eat it inside from their great menu, Fried alvacado light and crunchy outside soft and creamy in, Sweet potato fries to die for (our were cooked light and not greasy, also asked for no salt). I had a brat and my wife had the taco salad or burrito. BUT we also ate off the food trucks that day so I can't remember all of it. Very nice large selction of beer with a staff that knows at least a thing or two about beer. LOL! The patio is open and we have not tried it yet but it looked bright and inviting (if you don't like the dark inside go during the day and eat on the patio). We plan to visit again real soon. Maybe on the Luna Sunday???? ps if you have adult teens they will be welcome to eat, but I still would not take wild children that run amoke ;) you know what i mean oh did I say saurkraut balls?

Pros: Beer selection, All vegan no worries, Patio all fresco

Cons: Inside IS A BAR, Food Trucks are only once a month, No very inviting from outside

hal and al's - Edit

An awesome vegan bar! Maybe not the healthiest meal we've ever eaten but absolutely delicious!! All of the food was fantastic. We had pizza, enchiladas, chili mac, sauerkraut balls, a corn dog and deep fried avocadoes, mushrooms and pickles. For dessert the deep fried oreos were great! The beer list was huge with many local selections. They even had shots named after our favourite Saved by the Bell characters! All of the staff we dealt with were super friendly and helpful. A truly unique dining experience!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, unique menu options

Greasy comfort food, but so comforting - Edit

I went here a few years ago, and the food was great. All kinds of greasy vegan snacks, like mini-corn dogs and onion rings, etc. The prices were pretty good, and we definitely left with full bellies.

Pros: Vegan, Comfort foods

Cons: Drunks

great vegan bar! - Edit

We love Hal & Al's from their tofu scramble brunch to their tasty vegan bar sides like sweet potato fries and artichoke dip and especially the sauerkraut balls! Awesome beer selection and live music too!

Pros: food, beer selection, music

Really wish there were more places like this... - Edit

Hal and Al's is a great placed - very laid-back environment. The night that we went they had live music and the artist was actually really talented and entertaining! If you're looking for health food, this isn't the place for you. They serve typical bar food. My husband and I shared the BBQ Luna Pizza - amazing! It had a somewhat crunchy pretzel crust, diced onions, a tangy BBQ sauce, cheddar daiya, and the best part - the burger crumbles! If I could go back, I would totally order a Luna burger. They also have an extensive beer selection and everything is very reasonably priced. I wish there were a place like Hal and Al's where I live!

Pros: great food, great beer, great atmosphere

Wonderful! - Edit

Stopped by here on our way out of town (thanks to Happy Cow!) We loved it! We were the only people in there, and the bartender/waitress made us very comfortable! We ate a pizza, mac & cheese & a veggie burger. The pizza crust was made of a pretzel dough, which was a bit hard to chew through (our 2 & 3 year olds wouldn't eat it, but they devoured the mac & cheese), but overall the food was delicious. Great atmosphere. I would love to see the place when it's busy. I bet it's a blast!

vegan heaven! - Edit

yeah, thats right, this place is all vegan with all the stuff that you ate before you were vegan! fried anything, from avacado to oreos, meat subs like corn dogs, brats they use daiya cheese that actually melts, really! the dogs are hand-dipped with their own batter. mellow atmosphere and 20 plus beer taps make this place top 3 in columbus, maybe even 1 for being all vegan. get you some hal n als, you need it! monday is $2 corndog, $1 basket of fries, so if you are too cheap to try something new, it doesnt get better!

I love this bar! - Edit

The sauerkraut balls are crave worthy! Luna burgers are very good but I would prefer a softer bun. I have brought my young daughter here many times and have never felt unsafe.

Pros: vegan junk food!

Cons: Meh Tofurky brats

Very delicious(: - Edit

Kind of a bad location but it was soo delicious everything we ordered was so good I have absolutely no complaints the quesodilas were amazing(: if you are looking for a friendly atmosphere and all vegan food hal and al's is what you are looking for.

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, great prices

Cons: bad location

Vegan Bar Food - Edit

I think the thing that threw me off the most about this place is that it is a straight up dive bar. From the previous reviews, I thought that it was just going to look sketchy from the outside, but I misread them and was thrown off. The decor is non-existant. This is a place that looks like a typical dive on the inside.

Orders are placed at the bar. If I were to go back, I would probably just sit at the bar for convenience sake. I ordered the Luna Burger and a side of fries. You can add any extras to the burger for free! I added Daiya, grilled onions and grilled mushrooms. It was delicious. I wasn't a huge fan of the pretzel bun, but I think that was just because of personal preference. The fries were very greasy. They were salted well, but I would skip them if I ever went back.

Please note that not all the beer is vegan. My husband is a huge beer drinker and knows all there is to know about beer. The Founder's Breakfast Stout contains milk chocolate.

This is not health food by any means, but I give them 4 cows for making it all vegan.

Pros: All vegan, Inexpensive, Nice staff

Cons: Dive bar, Greasy

Don't let looks deceive you - Edit

I had read about this place on HappyCow, but when I got there I was hesitant to go in since I was by myself and it looks kind of sketchy from the outside. As soon as I stepped inside everything changed. If you only go to one place in Columbus make it this place! The food is incredible (especially the Luna Burger with the to-die-for pretzel bun) and the beer selection is excellent. I had the bartender recommend something local and was not disappointed. I wasn't able to stay past dinner time, but I could tell even before 6 pm that this place is a great hang out place for people of all ages. So fun!! I am thinking of planning another trip to OH just for Hal and Al's!!

Pros: Delicious food, Good beer selection, Great atmosphere

Cons: None whatsoever!!!

Great Place & Great Food - Edit

I took 2 non-veggie work buddies here on our one night in Columbus. They were a little concerned when we arrived as from outside appearances it looks like a dive, but once we went inside everyone was happy. Looks can be deceiving! The place had a great atmosphere, music playing, lots of people. Then the food, we tried chili, fried mushrooms, fried pickles, a luna burger, sweet potato fries, and sweet pretzel bites for desert. Everything was wonderful. For drinks, Blue Moon, Wyders Raspberry Cider and a Miller Lite. All in all - wonderful, and best of all totally vegan. It was great to be in a bar and be able to order anything that appealed. Cannot recommend this place highly enough. Now if only we can get something similar on the West Coast. Didn't expect to find somewhere like this in Columbus, but glad I did.

Pros: Vegan Menu, Plenty of Beer/Cider Choices

Cons: External appearance

EXCELLENT FOOD - Edit

I have yet to be disappointed. The food is great and the happy hour drink specials are even better. I personally recommend the soft tacos but doubt you would be unhappy with any choice. The sushi on Thursday nights is incredible.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, good happy hour

Cons: lack of windows (old building)

Excellent, wonderful with a great atmosphere. - Edit

At first I was hesitant but once I entered and Sat down I loved every minute. The band brass basics was playing and they are excellent. The food, staff, and establishment is five stars. I would recommend it to anyone who desires a new place that is off the beating path. So, enjoy your food, drinks and song .....then write your review to tell others of your great experience.

Good character - Edit

I just ate at Hal and Al's bar/restaurant. The staff was very personable, fun, and knowledgable of the fair. The selection of beer was great! I had their veggie burger and home made vegan chili cheese fries, with a bartender chosen beer....outstanding. This may be the first time that I have ever been offered a bill and a handshake with a genuine smile. This was very reasonably priced. I have been out of town for days and it was great to get some feel good food.

Pros: Taste, Staff, Atmosphere

Deep-fried vegan wonderland - Edit

This place is pretty amazing. It's a bar, so it's open late, the food is entirely vegan, and it's typical, greasy bar food. Veganism and health are related, yes, but many vegans enjoy the faux fried counterparts that our meat eaters enjoy, not to mentioned the glory of deep-fried mushrooms and avocados.

The food is fantastic, service good, and priced appropriately. They make some excellent dipping sauces and apparently have a wide beer selection (as a non-drinker I can't really comment).

If you're looking for raw, light, local vegan fare, look elsewhere. But if it's midnight and you're craving some deep-fried tofurky brats, head to Hal and Al's. Amidst the shady blue exterior is a friendly bar with some great food.

Pros: all vegan!, deep-fried craziness, open late

Cons: location

Amazing Vegan Comfort Food! - Edit

Ended up finding this place while travelling using the VegOut Iphone app and was completely blown away by this place.

I've been to many vegan restaurants in multiple states, and Hal and Al's definitely makes it into my top five. In our two visits, we've ordered pretty much everything on menu from the sweet potato fries and outrageous deep fried avocado to the sausages, burgers, mac and cheese and taco salad. It was all reasonably priced, flavorful, and delicious. Another great thing, both times we went there we brought non-vegan friends and family and they loved the place.

Lastly I have one word for you, Pretzels. The pretzel bun on the burger is one of the best buns I've ever had. And if you have enough room after your meal, get the pretzel bites -- they are little bits of pretzel dough rolled in sugar and cinnamon and are completely addictive.

p.s. I didn't really feel that this is a con, but the restaurant is in a bar, and the building lacks windows, it's not the most inviting from the outside. That said, once you're in, you'll find it a really relaxing place to eat and hang out it -- I just wish I had a place like this where I live.

Pros: Great comfort food, Great place to hang out, Perfect place to bring non-vegan folks

Return to Columbus Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Hal and Al's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9068 times since May 2010.