Hai Hai

• ( 8 reviews )

2121 University Ave, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 55418

Serves meat, vegan options available. Southeast Asian restaurant with labeled vegan options.

Phenomenal vegan options crafted with plants in mind first. For vegan-upon-request options, plants are surely the hero while meat is the unnecessary sidekick. Fried tofu, shiitake crepes, Balinese cauliflower, fried potatoes, and papaya salad are some impressive vegan offerings. Open Tue-Fri 3:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 10:00am-12:00am. Closed Mon.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Asian, Fusion, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by LPDS

BrantMiller

Points +24

31 Aug 2021

Lots of vegan specific options

We went to dinner there and they had some fantastic vegan dishes.

veganwflightbenefits

Points +462

10 Sep 2020

Great and Covid Compliant

Great food, right across from crepe and spoon if you want ice cream after. Extremely on top of covid procedures, cleaning, etc. Feel safe and full.

Aliy

Points +175

18 Jul 2020

Amazing Food

Hai Hai delivers an adorable atmosphere with several vegan options, labeled on their menu. The Vietnamese Crepe is very good with fresh herbs, and the cauliflower with coconut rice is super flavorful! Would definitely recommend!

schel112

Points +393

05 Mar 2020

Pretty good...

I’ve tried everything vegan on the menu, and it’s all pretty good, with the exception of an off putting flavor from something they put in the Hanoi sticky rice bowl. Crepes are great, vegetable dishes are flavorful, and drinks are good, but super expensive. My one gripe about this place is that it’s always super busy, and once was served meat in my spring rolls, and wasn’t given much of an apology for it because of how slammed they were. But other than that, plan to come during off peak times and you’ll be fine!

Pros: Lots of things can be made vegan , Great patio

Cons: Always super busy

Laura1G2C

Points +795

02 Nov 2019

Fresh & flavorful options

I always recommend Hai Hai to visitors from out of town. They offer such unique dishes that don’t shy away from heat and flavor. My favorites are the salt and pepper tofu and the Balinese cauliflower. The menu changes occasionally so I usually try something new each time I go. And I hit up Crepe & Spoon across the street for dessert. ;)

Pros: Unique, flavorful options , Tropical atmosphere

Cons: Gets very busy at popular times of day

pbullfriend

Points +86

15 Oct 2019

overrated

Had seen good reviews and was very excited to go there. Now I think that someone added the vegan options to the menu because plant-based is getting popular, not because they actually cared about that type of food. Salt & pepper tofu was pretty good. Can't even remember what else we had - it was really meh. It looks like more thought went into the drink menu than the food menu.

It was SO loud at Sunday brunch that I finally had to ask the server if they could turn it down because my friend and I couldn't hear each other. She did do so, thank goodness, but said that other people wanted it louder. Maybe the answer is to go there if you're in a mood for loud music and interesting drinks, rather than to concentrate on food.

Pros: Interesting-looking drink menu

Cons: Expensive for dull vegan food, Super loud

etoiles

Points +94

Vegetarian
27 Sep 2019

Love this place!

We were visiting Minneapolis and were disagreeing on where to eat when my husband showed me this menu. It looked good with multiple vegetarian/vegan options. What I didn’t expect is how blown away I would be by the food which is amazing and I’m still thinking about it a month later. I got the salt and pepper tofu as appetizer which was not as expected in a good way. The tofu was creamy with a lemon tofu sauce underneath. Not a hard fried tofu like many places do. I got the vegetarian crepe which is a hard crepe stuffed with vegetables and you cut it into wedges, add sauce and fresh herbs like basil and cilantro and eat it in a lettuce wrap. Incredible. I definitely plan to return here.

Pros: Unique menu items , Delicious and fresh food , Reasonable price

Cons: Server too a while to take our order

LPDS

Points +40

10 May 2019

A few great options

Amazing cocktails, great food, and a really fun and relaxing atmosphere. Dinner here and desert at Crepe & Spoon is the perfect evening combo.

Return to Minneapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hai Hai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.