Hagabions Kafe

031-123082

Linnégatan 21, Göteborg (at Järntorget), Gothenburg, Sweden

An outdoor/pub cafe which is part of a cinema. Tram Prinsgatan. Open Mon-Thu 5:00pm-11:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-2:00am, Sat 1:00pm-12:00am, Sun 1:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Buffet, Swedish

First Review by greysquirrel

nice but might be full - Edit

Just been there and had great food. Has several options to choose from.

One can also just stay for a good beer, because they have some interesting beers, as well as non-alcoholic ones.

The atmosphere is nice, with people of various ages, but mostly they look like people interested in reading, film, debate, etc. that kind of bunch. I liked it.

Pros: several vegetarian options, vegan options, good non-alcoholic beers

Cons: can be full

Can't get a table - Edit

We are vegan and have lived 200 meters away for a year and, despite many efforts, have never been able to get a table. They tell you to just wait and watch for someone to get up. What kind of a system is that?

amazing food & service - Edit

half of the dishes on the menu they didn't have anymore when i came so there was nothing vegan left on the menu but the nice service lady went and asked in the kitchen if they could still make something vegan for me so i received this amazing sweetpotato-dish.

Delicious soul-food - Edit

Really delicious and creative food! We had a "meat"loaf dish with mushrooms and a red curry and both were really, really good. Rather casual bar-style atmosphere with lots of outdoor seating but also a small room to sit inside. They were really friendly (translated the whole menu into English for us) and the food came really quickly.

Pros: Delicious food, Reasonable prices, Friendly staff

Cons: Not too many indoor seating

Nice vegan option - Edit

I had the vegan red thai curry. It was very tasty - nice and spicy. Was all very fresh and overall a very good vegan option. The soup was also vegan and I believe there was another option on the menu too. Very nice selection of beers, and the waitress spoke impeccable English (but that seems to be normal for the Swedes - most of them put native English speakers to shame!). I went early (around 5.30pm) and got a seat, but it quickly filled up while I was eating; it's not a large place, so my advice is to get there as early as possible. Clearly a very popular place, and rightly so. Will be back when I'm next in Göteborg :-)

Pros: Tasty, Fresh, Quick service

Cons: Busy

Don't like the atmosphere - Edit

First it's crowded, hard to find a table and after you have to wait 30 min to have your meal. There's only outdoor seatings so even if the weather is good, you will be disturbed by smokers.

Not bad... - Edit

Easy to find on main road. I went on a Wednesday just after 5pm (which I think is the time it opened). No English menu but I asked the staff which items were vegan - pumpkin soup, Thai red curry, and a quinoa salad. I had the curry with Ginger Joe ginger beer. The beer was delicious, the curry not so - tofu was half crunchy, rice wasn't cooked properly/may have been old, the only vegetables were pickled on the side. The sauce was nice.

The place had a really cool atmosphere, laidback and on-trend.

Pros: Good atmosphere, Friendly staff, Good value

Cons: Ok food

Excellent! Go for a visit! - Edit

This outdoor/pub cafe is part of a cinema. There is a large outdoor space with seating and umbrellas. It is on the main road and easy to find. The menu was not in English but they were happy to translate. Order at the bar and they bring the food (20-25 min wait on food). Sunday night there were tables but I think there is a wait for a table most nights.

We loved our meal and would recommend visiting. The 'meatloaf' (nut and mushroom based) was delicious. I would order that again and again.

We also had a goat cheese melted on bread thing, which was nice but nothing unbelievably special.

We visited Sunday evening. The pub is open during the day but the veggie kitchen is only after 5pm I believe.

Visit this delicious place!

Pros: excellent good, nice staff, excellent English, large outdoor seating

Cons: 20-25 minute wait for food, Hard to get waiters attention at times, On main road(street noise)but easy find

Arts Cinema Cafe & Bar - Edit

Visited on 23rd September 2012. This is the cafe/bar of an arts cinema with a chilled atmosphere and 'arty' crowd. On the menu (which is in Swedish but the helpful barmaid explained everything) were 4 starters, 3 mains (2 vegan)and a bunch of cakes etc. I would say that if the menu doesn't change daily then it for sure changes frequently. There is a large wine/beer/cider list. We had chilli - it was amazing!!!

Pros: Great food, Chilled out atmosphere, Helpful, friendly staff

Cons: A little pricey (maybe not in Sweden?)

Nice atmosphere, food ok - Edit

Beautiful little cafe with nice lighting and decor, but the food was a little disappointing - I ordered a tofu curry which was simply chunks of tofu in a curry sauce, no vegetables at all and a very small portion of rice. Basically what there was was good quality - but I was by no means full. Also, vegan options are not clearly marked.

Delicious! - Edit

So good, we went there 2 nights in a row! Cafe bar inside an arthouse cinema, with several options on the menu. We tried the lasagne, mushroom ravioli, chinese hotpot, and 'meat' loaf with potatoes and cauliflower, all of which were delicious. I also had the blueberry pie with vegan ice cream, which was fabulous. Really tasty food, relaxed atmosphere, and nice price. Oh, and great coffee - but it is Sweden after all!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Busy just before movies begin

luxury - Edit

Great vegan food in the best atmosphere, feels like Kreutsberg. They change the meny often. Very hip place so it tends to get crowded especially weekend evenings.

Pros: exellent food, friendly staff, great atmosphere

Cons: crowded

We kept going back - Edit

All vegetarian art cinema restaurant. Menu all swedish but staff happy to say what was vegan(and, reassuringly, go and check with the chef). When we were there there was a vegan "tofusill" variant on the traditional swedish herring dish (delicious and my favourite), a thai curry, a chinese hotpot and an aubergine dish. Deserts not on menu but ask; the apple pie is usually vegan, was excellent, and came with tofu ice cream. If it's hot they seem to decamp to the outside bar, we thought they were not serving and nearly left, but persevere as food is worth it. Nice vibe and 20 mins pleasant walk (or 5 mins tram) from city centre.

Pros: Good food, vegan choices, arthouse films

Cute cafe, not sure about the food - Edit

We found Hagabion and went in to the cafe. It was a smallish place but had a really nice atmosphere and as mentioned is part of an arthouse cinema with cheap and often short world films to see too. The coffee was the strongest I've ever had and I wouldn't say it was the best quality. I didn't notice any meals available, just pastries - maybe there's another part to the cafe we didn't see?

Pros: Atmosphere, Unique style

Cons: Average quality, Limited food

Great food, nice atmosphere, moody staff - Edit

The quality of the food has gone up and down over the years but now it's better than ever. Interesting, tasty and creative menus and buffet. Altough not completly vegan, very vegan friendly with a lot of vegan options. Great value, especially the lunch buffet. The atmosphere is nice. The staff is usually pleasant, but at times a bit moody.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Good value

Cons: Quite busy at times, Moody staff

Cosy and nice - Edit

I like this place a lot. It has a great atmosphere and are very cosy with a disco ball and sofas. The staff are slow but so cool that you forgive them. They have great vegan food options, quite expensive though. They use to have som pies, like applepie, raspberry pie and blueberry pie. Sometimes you can get vegan vanilla custard with it. They also have soy milk to get in your coffee or hot chocolate and a wide variery of tasty cold drinks.

Pros: atmosphere, music, hot chocolate

Cons: price, cash only

Nice place with vegan choices - Edit

I went there for a coffee and a meal. Both were quite good, I had a vegetarian lasagna.

The place is nice to sit in, talk, or read a book. The wait for the lasagna I ordered was longer than I expected but I was there at 17:00, right when the kitchen opens on the weekends. Maybe it gets faster a bit later.

Pros: Atmosphere, Food

cinema cafe - Edit

this cafe is really great! its no smoking, and vegan. it has couches and tables and is great for chilling out, we stayed there for ages and we ate mock tuna and vegan lasagna. its a part of an arthouse cinema so you could catch a flick straight after to let your tummy settle.

Pros: excellent mock food, cosy atmosphere, yummy cakes

Return to Gothenburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hagabions Kafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.