Habib Wholefoods

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 96395515

260 Flinders Street, Shop 2 (at opposite Flinders Street train station), Melbourne, Victoria, 3000

An organic health food store. Carries some vegan items including cheezly, mock meats, bread, and beauty products. Expanded and growing range of vegan and organic foods, and health & beauty products (May 2010). There's a tiny deli area near the cashiers, and all the salads are vegan as are most of the desserts. Convenient location for tourists as it's near the train station and Federation Square.

First Review by gr8vegan

ch-ch-ch-ch-changes - Edit

What's going on here? I've been stopping in at Habib for drinks and snacks for years. I went by the other day and the first thing I saw in the bain-marie nearest the door was a nasty old chicken carcass! They were cooking burgers on some kind of electric grill plate behind the counter as well. The small counter of vegan stuff is still there. I bought a brownie and found it pretty stodgy, tasteless, and horrible. A lot of the shelves at the back of the shop are starting to look a bit bare. I get the feeling they're moving away from wholefoods and veg*n stuff and trying to appeal to a more mainstream grocery market. Which seems silly because there's already a new Woolworths express almost next door.

Super awesome! - Edit

TONS of vegan prepared foods & desserts, plus lots of vegan items for sale to take away and cook for yourself.

Owner is EXTREMELY friendly, and we loved him.

Pros: Super friendly, Vegan desserts

Cons: Serves meat

Delightfully surprised - Edit

I've been working in the city over a year and a half near here and only just recently discovered this amazing place. I tried their vegan lasagna today and was amazed at how utterly delicious it was and so filling.I'm not a big lasagna fan usually but decided to try and I was not disappointed. I'll certainly be coming back here more often to try more of their food. They stock an array of wonderful vegetarian and vegan options from snacks to clothing to hot delicious food.
The place is a little dingy but don't let that fool you, it's a treasure trove of goodness. Staff are very friendly.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 28, 2015

Pros: vegetarian, vegan, food

Cons: dingy

Sad Soup and Salad - Edit

I tried the chickpea and lentil soup and the kale and millet salad. Sadly, both dishes were poorly prepared. The soup was little more than broth and the salad had very little flavor. I'd suggest skipping the prepared food altogether.

Pros: Grocery seemed well stocked

Cons: Bland food

Great lunch options - Edit

I can't comment on the quality of the products in the store part but I enjoyed a vegan lasagne and chocolate cake for my lunch from Habib. They had a good choice of lunch options and are very well located near to Flinders St Station.

Beware: aggressive staff & out of date baby food - Edit

I purchased two satchels of Belamies Baby food from Habib only to discover, after I fed half a satchel to my baby and she broke out in a rash, that it was almost 1 year after the "best before" date , the other satchel was also out of date by about a year. When I purchased the satchels there was no prominent sign saying that the food was out of date. I called the store and the staff member I spoke to thought I was another person who had also just complained about the baby food. He proceeded to be very defensive and rude so I hung up. Over the next hour I received several aggressive messages to my mobile and then a text message insulting me. I can only hope Habib's signage has been fixed and no one else has to experience how rude and aggressive the staff member was to me.

Wish I had a place like this in WA! - Edit

Habib Wholefoods has such a broad range of vegan products I don't want to leave. It is large and stocks vegan treats that make my mouth water. The staff are friendly and the store is presented nicely. It's in a great location being across from Flinders St Station and I'd definitely return when back in Melbourne.

Pros: Many vegan products, Well priced

Great selection of vegan foods! - Edit

I love Habibs, and always visit whenever I'm in Victoria. He has a wonderful selection of vegan foods - everything from salads, wraps, frozen foods and desserts like cupcakes and cakes (ohh, the desserts are simply divine!). The owner is really friendly, helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to vegan products. A must for all vegans to visit! The one downside is that it's expensive -- I've seen some of the same products stocked in Habibs in places like Woolworths for half the price (but those products I would just buy in Woolworths anyway, and don't mind spending a bit of money on the products at Habibs that I wouldn't normally be able to find).

Pros: Great selection of vegan food, Convenient location, Great service

Cons: Expensive

Finally some cheese! - Edit

I live out in the country where mock meat and dairy products are scarce so whenever I make a trip into Melbourne I bring along a cooler bag and stock up! I try a new flavour of Tofutti ice-cream each time I go and they are all to die for (so much better than So Good, which is the only soy ice-cream available in my area) and I had never had soy cheese before but Cheezly is amazing. Everything is expensive but who doesn't like to spoil themselves every now and then?

Pros: Good vegan range, Mock dairy, Good location

Cons: Expensive

I love this place. - Edit

Such a good range of food, especially the desserts on the occasion. The cheesecake they made themselves is also really good !

Pros: Good range, Good food, Easy access

Cons: Sometimes a bit pricey, Too far from my house :P

Convenient location - Edit

We stumbled upon Habib while looking for other places listed on Happy Cow. We've glad we did. While they carry some meat and cheese, there's plenty of vegan items. We bought some Cheezly to add to some picnic sandwiches we had and we got salads to go - potato and some sort of noodle - both tasty. We got a raspberry muffin to go as well which was really delicious. It's located right across from the Flinders Street train station in the CBD, so it was super convenient for us.

Pros: vegan stuff, small deli area, convenient location

Cons: carries meat and cheese

Don't let the name confuse you Habib knows Organic - Edit

Maybe its my American background, but anything named Habib sounds like a bit of a joke, but luckily I got past the name and went inside. This is one of the most well stocked Organic store I've seen in Australia. They have a selection of baked vegan items, too. There are some regular items when you walk in the door that can throw you, but keep venturing in and its a full fledged organic grocery store with all the vegan items.

Pros: good cold drinks, CBD location

Return to Melbourne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Habib Wholefoods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4314 times since Dec 2009.