Habebe's Lebanese and Vegetarian Takeaways

Contact 03-4429861

30 Shotover Street (at Beach St), Queenstown, New Zealand,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Lebanese cuisine with a selection of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free food. Has made-to-order wraps and whole-grain pies (vegan ones offered), daily vegan soups, and many different salads. Accepts EFTPOS. Location is in the first walkthrough down from the clock tower on the corner of Camp Street. Open daily.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Lebanese, Non-veg

First Review by SirEatsAlot

Best lunch in Queenstown! 5 Stars! - Edit

My partner and I stopped into Habebe's for lunch on our last day in Queenstown and my only regret about the trip is that we didn't go sooner! We would have been back daily if we had known how great it was.
We tried their Lentil & Vegetable pie, felafels, some salads, coffee and hot chocolate. Everything was beautiful. The staff were very helpful with which things were vegan, what could be made vegan (HOT CHOCOLATE!!!) and they gave us a fantastic meal and a very reasonable price. I cannot recommend Habebe's more, for a very affordable place to eat right in the heart of town with plenty of vegan options.

Pros: So many vegan options!, Very helpful, happy, and kind staff, Incredible food

Cons: No cons at all, I wish I went there sooner!

Mostly Vegan! - Edit

This is one of the best options for vegans in Queenstown. They offer a range of salads (all vegan) which they will smother in tahini and chilli sauce! They also have a couple of healthy vegan pie options and these can be served with hummus and chutney. We got takeaway a few times and took it on a picnic and even up to the snowfields. I loved that they open early (8am) and all the Vegan options are clearly labelled.

An OK Falafel kebab...... - Edit

I ordered a medium Falafel kebab to go. It was made fresh and was an ok size for a lunch snack but only had 2 falafels put in it. Fresh ingredients and good service. The falafels weren't overly tasty but were ok.

They had several desserts on offer but only 1 vegan option. I tried it. It was called a 'flapjack' but was essentially a muesli slice that used golden syrup to sweeten/bind it together - it was very nice.

Not much of a dine-in experience here but it's only a short walk to the lake front where you can take your food to & eat amongst the beautiful scenery.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Friendly service, Reasonable prices

Cons: Falafels could have been tastier

Salads - Edit

We had just arrived in Queenstown and we were super hungry. We walked around all the restaurants and it was relatively hard to find vegan options. Then we found this restaurant! The food was incredible. I had the warm salad (a mix of salads: carrot, beet, spinach, quinoa) and the falafel. It was topped with a hummus and medium chili sauce. They have plenty of vegan options. Would recommend!

Amazing kebab! - Edit

A hidden gem in Queenstown! Lovely staff and many vegan options. We had a falafel kebab with tabbouleh, cabbage, carrot, beetroot and garlic tahini - it was the best kebab I've ever had in my life!

Pros: Many vegan options, Made to order food, Vegan options clearly labelled

Cons: Also serves meat, A tad on the expensive side, Closes early, not open for dinner

Delicious Veg-Roll! - Edit

I found this restaurant/cafe through HappyCow.net and I can really just recommend this place. I had a veg roll for 7.50€ and a quinoa salad for 2$. The roll itself would have been enough for me for lunch. And it was really delicicous! A lot of food for a small price.
They offer huge range of vegen salads, rolls, pies and coffee.

Pros: Small prices, Very tasty, Friendly staff

Great find - Edit

Oh man, what a find. I'd describe this place as a vegan cafe that also sells meat options. You can't accidentally order something that isn't vegan.
I had the vegan vege roll pie (a very reasonable $7.50), two salads (green beans and potato salad) ($2 each) and a falafel to try.
The vege roll was spectacular. A massive serving that felt healthy and was absolutely delicious. A real attraction.
I chose a couple of salads to go along side it, though I felt pretty full from all the food I ended up with (and I'm a big eater). The green bean salad was light and refreshing, though wasn't quite a next level experience. The potato salad was largely along the same lines. Lots of other salad choices I'd like to try some time. One woman came in and ordered one of each!
The falafel was a little disappointing - quite dry and not as tasty as I would have liked. Obviously home made, however, and it felt made with love and wholesome ingredients.
Overall totally stoked with my meal here. I wish I was in Queenstown for more time to come back more!

Pros: Friendly staff, wholesome food, tonnes of vegan op

Cons: Some of the food a bit average

Food OK except for falafel & hummus - Edit

Had a lentil pie (NZ$7.5) with four salads (NZ$2 each), plus two falafel and hummus. A big pile of food for less than NZ$20. Lots of vegan options. The pie was good even after reheated. The salads weren't too shabby either, clean, fresh tasting, and all vegan to boot. Hummus was on the mealy side and merely passable, while the falafel were downright horrible. They were dry, didn't taste like much, too chunky, and fell apart easily. Nothing in them reminded me of falafel. To call them as such is a complete travesty of the original food. Funny, two of Lebanese signature dishes turned out to be the worst things on the plate at a self-labeled Lebanese restaurant. That said, this place is still a good option in Queenstown where vegan food is surprisingly few and far between. One caveat: they are open till 5 pm only.

All things considered, this place is between a 3 and a 4 but probably closer to a 3.

Pros: good value, vegan options

Cons: horrible falafel & hummus, Not open for dinner

Vegetarian/ Vegan eating place - Edit

I would highly recommend Habebes to any Vegan visiting Queenstown. The staff were very friendly and helpful, even delivered an evening meal for me to my Motel as I got back to Queenstown too late to go and buy it. The food was delicious, and there was so much choice, good value for money too.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly helpful staff

good falafel - Edit

I got falafel, which came with a few salads that you could choose and then it was all wrapped up together. Even though the falafel was different than what I'm used to, it was still pretty good. Overall, a good protein filled meal. I also got a soy berry smoothie which was excellent.

Good food. Eat here. - Edit

Really good, healthy-ish food. You have to ask to figure out what is vegan/not vegan, but the staff seemed knowledgeable. Portions were a bit on the small side, but the prices were reasonable and everything I tried was delicious.

Pros: Healthy, Good food, Good staff

Cons: portions could be a wee bit bigger

Return to Queenstown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Habebe's Lebanese and Vegetarian Takeaways closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2505 times since Mar 2010.