Habanita

• Veg-friendly
Contact 0034-606716456

Calle Golfo 3, Seville (at Plaza Alfalfa), Sevilla, Spain,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bar and restaurante. Offers a wide variety of vegetarian and vegan items, clearly marked on the menu. Located in el Centro.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Cuban, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

Good option for vegans - Edit

For anyone struggling to find vegan friendly food places this would be ideal. Menu is very clear to see what options are vegan and there are quite a few to. choose from. Food wasn't outstanding and service was ok.

Pros: Clearly marked vegan options

Cons: Not the cheapest meal

Great vegan choices - Edit

Menu is really clearly marked veggie or vegan and the food is delicious. Had the best vegan coconut cake too...friendly service and reasonable prices.

Pros: Great vegan selection , Vegan clearly marked on menu

Lots of interesting veggie/vegan options - Edit

I'm surprised by how mixed the reviews are here. I've been twice and really enjoyed my food on both occasions. Over half the menu is vegetarian, and around half of that is vegan (all clearly marked).

The feta and mint samosas are definitely a highlight, and I've also enjoyed the aubergine, falafel and fried banana dish. It might be a little tricky to find, but if you're in Seville it's definitely worth checking out. Service was good too, the staff seemed friendly.

nice place, boring food - Edit

Unfortunately, I found the food rather boring; it lacked creativity and (for my taste) spices.
We had crudites with hummus which was pretty good with mainly fresh vegetables. My main was a seitan steak with potatoes. The potatoes unfortunately lacked any spicing (or salt, for that matter) and were only accompanied by some few leaves of field salad. The steak was nicely spiced but was rather thin and had a rubber-like consistency. In my opinion, the dish would have really needed some sauce, some spices, and maybe some additional side of vegetables. My boyfriend had fried yucca and beans with rice and this food as well lacked salt or other spices.

Pros: nice, cozy room, good location, good selection of cocktails

Cons: food is rather bland, not creative

Best veg*n lunch so far - Edit

We've spent a lot of this trip to Seville hunting out the veggie options (thanks Happy Cow!) as we have limited choices for eating out at home.

Habanita is the best by far - not just veganized traditional tapas, but original and delicious veggie dishes - a wide selection of vegetarian and vegan alike, some with a wonderful latin twist.

Pros: Variety/Choice, Delicious Food, Great Service

Cons: Hard to find at first, Above average prices, You might eat too much..!

Delicious - Edit

This place was great! Lots of vegan and vegetarian options. We ordered three vegan items and shared. We also had coconut flan for dessert which was also vegan. Kind of hard to find, but worth it!

Pros: inexpensive

Cons: none

Hard to find yet worth a visit - Edit

It took some time to go through all those streets but finally we made it. We had some yuca, pisto and other portions, some Spanish, some Cuban-inspired. While it may not be a work of genius, it is a nice change from the otherwise rather reactionary Spanish cuisine.

delicious! - Edit

My friend and I shared vegan croquettes, and had the vegetarian steak as an entree (very juicy and delicious), and we shared coconut flan for dessert. I really enjoyed it and might return again during this trip. It is tucked in a little corner but they had an A-frame out to know where to turn

Pros: options are labeled, non-veg if you're with non-veg friends, friendly staff

Nice veg-friendly place - Edit

I went to Habanita tonight with two non-vegetarian friends.

We decided to order five vegetarian tapas (you can order 1/2 dishes for about 5 euros or so, and full dishes for 10 euros or so), and we order vegan croquettes, goat cheese with marmalade, spinach croquettes, samosas with feta and mint, and rice with mushrooms. All was very tasty and good, we had sangria which was also very good and in the end we spent 14 euros each.

The atmosphere was nice, and the place was full when we left at 22:30. I think that this is a good option when you are eating out with non-vegetarian friends, and it offers many veggie options (I counted more or less 15 vegetarian dishes).

Pros: Many veg options, Resonable prices, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Serves meat

Best in Spain! - Edit

This place is excellent. The owner is incredibly friendly and the wait staff is as well. Although it's not the best restaurant I've been to, it's certainly the best I've been to in Spain. Their tapas are reasonably priced and incredibly delicious. The croquetas veganas and the patatas con mojo picón especially. If you're in Sevilla and looking for a place that will satisfy both vegans and non-vegans, you must stop by. You'll leave feeling full and happy and will certainly want to return. :)

Pros: Vegan and non-vegan dishes, delicious patatas con mojo picón, nice little outdoor dining area

Nice but bit overpriced - Edit

Its a nice place with many interesting vegan options but is a little bit over priced. You can go for menu del dia instead of choosing multiple things from the menu! Banana in savory sauce was really good.

Variable - Edit

We went to this restaurant twice because I think we chose poory on the first visit when we got 2 types of croquettes and spinache balls, all of which were deep fried and came on a bed of iceberg lettuce. They could definitely improve on the presentation of these dishes, relying on iceberg lettuce shows an extreme lack of creativity.

However, when sneaking a look at other customer's food I developed a serious case of food envy so a few nights later we tried Habanita again and it was fantastic. This time we had Flower Salad with goats cheese, lentil and tomato salad, and Fufu which were all delicious.

Pros: Friendly service, Some very good dishes

Cons: Heavy reliance on iceberg lettuce

Tourist trap, flavorless, rip-off, to be avoided - Edit

We went here because it was highly recommended. Unfortunately we were not only disappointed by the lack of any flavor in the food but also with the price, selection and quality. First off, this is NOT a vegetarian restaurant- they only have a few vegetarian options. I ordered the beans and rice and it was served lukewarm and appeared/tasted like it had been reheated several items as it was crusty and dry. We were charged extra for sitting outside, extra for bread and 40 cents extra for each of the 2 tasteless plastic packet of olive oil. I ordered a Piña Colada and it was served unblended and tasted like there was absolutely no rum in it. My partner and I tried several other side dishes, all of which were flavorless. We were appalled when we received the bill. It turned out to be our most expensive and tasteless meal in our 2 week trip to Spain. As a side note, the bathrooms were filthy and the cleanliness of the restaurant itself was questionable. After dining here for lunch, we went up to the La Alameda de Hercules neighborhood for dinner. We ate at another restaurant called "Arte y Sabor" in which we were given free olives, olive oil, and free bread. The food was half the price and twice as good.

Pros: Nothing

Cons: Price, Flavorless

Einfach top! - Edit

Hier wird veganes und vegetarisches Essen angeboten, ebenso etwas Fleisch und Fisch. Die Karte ist optimal gestaltet, so dass jeder direkt unterscheiden kann, welches Essen vegan oder vegetarisch ist. Dafür schon mal 5 Sterne!
Das Essen war das Beste, was wir im ganzen Urlaub gegessen haben! Die Küche hat es geschafft, " normale" Speisen in vegane umzuwandeln, einfach sensationell! Personal sehr freundlich, schnelle Bedienung, nur zu empfehlen!

Very good - Edit

Nice place to go in Seville if you are a vegan.

The vegan and vegetarian options are listed in the menu, you can also check them in their site:

Don't miss the yuca, an interesting dish if you never tasted it!

Pros: Staff, Taste, Location

Home-style cooking - Edit

Went to Habanita with carnivorous family members and we all found something to eat. We appreciated that vegan and lacto-veg dishes are marked as such on the menu.

The owner was very friendly and took good care of us. The food is rather like a simple, wholesome, home-cooked meal — not an explosion of flavor, but satisfying. The yucca with fried garlic was an interesting novelty for us.

Variety of fresh juices is a plus.

Pros: vegan-friendly menu, fresh juices

best food in town - Edit

we really loved to go there during our stay. the food was so nice, especially the salad....the owner was very friendly....its a little bit hidden but its ok.....the price was also okay (summer 2012).

Habanita - Edit

One of the places in Sevilla where they have plenty of veggie/vegan. The food is ok but definitely not the best caribbean i've already eaten. They have a nice courtyard where you can sit far away from traffic and noise. It's in a dead end street so it can be a bit hard to find.

A Tasty, Healthy Oasis In Spain's Dietary Desert - Edit

I loved Habanita. First and foremost, the food is exquisite; I especially loved the fun "Three Tenors" soup sampler, all three of which are delicious, the sublimely seasoned artichoke salad, the sweet, nutty, rich taste of the Caribbean rice/bean dish, and those melt-in-the-mouth wild mushroom croquettes, oh my gosh! On two occasions I brought friends who were also impressed. Helen, a tourist from Singapore, loved it and couldn't help making involuntary, audible moans of satisfaction during the meal. Cristina, a fellow dancer living and studying in Sevilla, was still talking about those mushroom croquettes days later. The cooks at Habanita know how to put a distinctive, unique spin on the same old, same old. I ate there every day of my week-long stay. The staff, especially Alberto, is welcoming, the restaurant is clean and cheery, and I love Plaza Alfalfa. My advice? Take the time to find this little gem, don't obsess over price (I did not price-shop, but Spain is expensive however you slice it and I felt the prices at Habanita were perfectly reasonable), and enjoy a warm satisfying culinary experience. Cheers!
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 21, 2012

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Great Staff

Nice food and friendly people - Edit

We had lunch here. Everything is clearly marked so we found the vegan choices easily. We opted for black beans and rice, fried yucca with garlic sauce (which was very dense but tasty), a tomato salad and artichoke salad. We were also given plenty of bread and breadsticks, in case we hadn't chosen enough food (which we had!) We had a glass of Sangria and two coffees and the bill with tip was less than $30. really liked the laid back vibe and the friendly staff.
Updated from previous review on Monday June 18, 2012

Pros: Friendly staff, good vegan choices clearly marked., Nice food.

Expensive, inauthentic, and bad - Edit

When in a foreign country, vegans would do as well as other tourists to judge a restaurant based on the extent of its local clientele. This is the pot calling the prospective kettle black, because it was not until halfway through my mediocre and overpriced meal that it occurred to me I was surrounded by English, French, and heavily-accented Spanish. Had I been paying attention, I may have spared myself a very bad experience.

The poor food was universal, as I tried three different unpleasant items myself and observed a mix of disappointment and obliviousness on the faces of others. Spain is generally a wonderfully inexpensive country to eat out in and Seville has an excellent vegetarian restaurant for lunch & dinner (Gaia) with enough options to suit repeat visits, and if you're in the neighborhood of La Habanita you may as well go around the corner to Huelva Ocho (with 10+ vegetarian options, many of them vegan). If you live here, you should be cooking more frequently at home with the excellent, cheap Spanish produce (even if you don't, cold dishes can be thrown together in a hotel room with a knife, a bowl, a spoon or fork, and some olive oil & salt). Besides these options, there are always a few legit tapas in every bar, though it's best if you speak enough Spanish to have a conversation about what you're ordering (in Sevilla, "espinacas con garbanzos" is just that, while "arroz" usually means seafood paella; menu-reading Spanish and/or a phrasebook won't be enough here).

For what it's worth, it should be said that the ostensibly Caribbean fare on the menu is *not* "Latin food" (as some reviewers dubbed it). This is someone who has heard of the names of certain dishes and has tried to concoct what they think they might be through a mix of internet recipes and overconfidence in their cooking skills, with no success whatsoever.

It should also be explicitly stated that this is *not* vegan-friendly. There is no less flesh on display than at the other restaurants in town, nor are there many more options for veg*ns (certainly when compared to a proper vegetarian restaurant, like Gaia, where one eats large, creative, diverse, excellent plates for less than Habanita, without people munching on [equally-ill-prepared] animals alongside you).

In the end, I'm disappointed this restaurant even exists on happy cow. It doesn't belong here. If this is vegan-friendly, so is ordering popcorn at a bullfight. Go elsewhere.

Pros: Tourist-friendly

Cons: High prices, Inauthentic recipes, Bad food

Decent food and good vegan options for Sevilla - Edit

Sevilla (or rather Andalusia in general) is certainly not a vegan friendly place. With this in mind, Habanita was a welcome option to have dinner since it has several vegan options clearly marked in the menue. The food was OK. Some items were overly expensive (the tomato salad consists of 1 or 2 tomatoes max and costs EUR 6,-), others were not.

It's very hard to find. We actually had a map showing the street in the wrong place. Its off c/ Pérez Galdós. Just look around there.

Pros: vegan options, friendly staff

Cons: some items overpriced, hard to find

Amazing amazing!!!! - Edit

Some of the mediocre reviews on here blow my mind! This place is delicious. My boyfriend and I are vegan and have been basically starving in Spain until now. With the exception of 2 places in Madrid and one place in Salamanca (el grillo azul...delicious!). It's a little hidden but if u expect that, then it's not that hard to find. Just ask. We've already eaten here twice and I'm sure we will continue to eat here for the next few days while we are in Seville. The rice and beans are anything but ordinary, they are so good! They have a menu in English and an entire section of vegetarian and vegan options. The jacket potatoes, ratatouille, seitan steak, falafel are all so delicious! After going for lunch and dinner, our waiter (maybe the owner?) brought us a complimentary shot of honey rum and oh my goodness it was yummy!!! I think the staff is so pleasant, the service is great, the decor is nice. It's a holy land in this meaty country!!!

Pros: Service, Food, Decor

Cons: A little hard to find

Good food, dated decor - Edit

I visited Habanita in September 2011 with my non-vegetarian husband. The restaraunt is located in a side street so difficult to find - we walked past the street several times before another tourist guided us there as he happeneded to notice the place while wandering around looking for another restaraunt.

The decor of the restaraunt is that of a typical Spanish cafe, though slighltly dated. We sat outside for our dinner, which was pleasant enough even though there was no fan or air conditioning outside.

Both the vegetarian and the non-vegetarian food we ordered was good, though service of the non-vegetarian food was slow.

Pros: Good food , Quiet restaraunt , English menu!

Cons: Dated decor

Lots of Food Options - Edit

Lots of food options on the menu. We ordered feta/spinach samosas (very good), goat cheese/quince salad was delicious. Service was ok. Ambiance wasn't great as this restaurant is in a backyard of some buildings. Location was about 20 minute walk from cathedral in Plaza Alfalfa and is then one of the side streets off of the plaza.

Salty Seitan - Edit

Portions good sized - had a bowl of yucca. Felt the Seitan steak I had was very salty and a bit too crisp.Nice courtyard - a bit tucked away.

Pros: good portions, not very cheap

Cons: too salty, off the beaten track

Very disappointing! - Edit

After reading such great things about it I was very excited to go here and very pleased when I found it. However I found it to be completely disappointing and not living upto the hype at all! The staff were friendly and it was an ok little place. I thought it was fantastic that they had marked all the veggie and then seperately, vegan options, on the menu. But the food itself? Nothing to write home about! The black beans were fairly bland, the vegan nuggets were like cardboard and the salad was just some iceberg lettuce and some tomatoes for about 9 euros! I thought it was very overpriced for what it was. Looking around I saw someone had ordered a spinach lasagne. It was literally a piece of lasagne with a few shreds of iceberg next to it for 12 euros. I thought I would struggle to be vegan in Seville so that's why I had tracked this place down but there are much better places to eat for veggies and vegans - and cheaper too!

I would probably go back - Edit

Great location, several vegetarian options, quick and efficient service , wait staff spoke English.
The food was only so so, my friends and I tried a few different things and none of us were impressed.

Pros: Friendly service, Veg options, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Food was only so so

Best veg in southern Spain - Edit

This gem is well-hidden -- the street didn't appear on my map -- but it's worth asking for directions,even more than once, so that you can rest your tired tootsies and restoke your sightseeing engine in this colorful haven of hearty veg fare. Everything we ordered here was good, and the manager/owner welcomed us as if we were old friends. My only regret is that we passed through Sevilla so quickly that we only got to eat here once. But we hung on to the Habanita business cards for the rest of the trip and when the options were grim (which happened way too often) we'd look at each other and sigh..."ahhh, Habanita."

Pros: selection, decor, staff

Only because it's in Seville - Edit

We ate here twice during our stay in Seville. The first time I thought it was really good; second time so-so. Then I figured out this place is popular just because it's in Seville, where vegan options are very limited. Food is tasty, but portions are rather small. It can get a little expensive in the end. They do have a menu of the day, although they don't hand it out together with the standard menu. Make sure to ask for it before you order, big savings!

Pros: tasty

Cons: small portions, can get expensive, smoking allowed

Great place, a must-visit for vegans - Edit

You may by now have figured out that there aren't a whole lot of vegan-friendly places in Seville. Habanita is one of them, and thankfully it's a rewarding experience, a little hard to find (just off Plaza Alfalfa, near the Cathedral - probably best to mark it on your map before going to Seville) but worth the effort. As mentioned, the place itself served meat-intensive Cuban food, but a member of the family must be vegan or something, because they have a separate part of the menu (online too) that clearly indicates which dishes are vegetarian and which are vegan. We came here for lunch AND for dinner, the food was so good! Black beans and rice, friend plantain balls with tomato sauce, a HUGE pile of potatoes in spicy sauce, soy chicken nuggets... Pretty much anything your little heart desires. A nice, super-quiet courtyard is there for you to enjoy your food outdoors when it's warm. My wife's only criticism was about the sangria, where all the sugar was sitting at the bottom of the glass. So don't order the sangria but get everything else! As others have said, I'd give the place 5 stars if Happy Cow would let me. But I can't because it serves meat as well. Don't let that stop you from dining here!

Pros: Delicious vegan-friendly Cuban food, Nice ambiance, including courtyard, Friendly staff

Cons: Can get a little expensive, Slightly tricky to find

Delicious Food - Edit

My husband and I just got back yesterday from Spain. We found out about Habanita from one of the locals when he found out we were vegetarian. It's not totally vegetarian, but it offers MANY vegetarian and vegan options and clearly marks them on their menu - so, no guessing. The food also had a lot of flavor, which seemed to be lacking from most veg food in non-veg restaurants in Spain. Habanita is a little tucked away in a courtyard, but it's not that hard to find as they have a large colorful sign placed outside of the courtyard on the sidewalk. This is a very good find and is a must for any flavor-loving vegetarian in Seville.

Pros: Flavorful, Good atmosphere, Delicious

A Cuban Veg gem of a restaurant! - Edit

Since Cuban Veg food is pretty hard to find outside of Cuba and difficult to find in the USA and we really relished the experience of going to an authentic Cuban restaurant. The atmosphere is lively and the staff are friendly and accommodating, the drinks are amazing, but expensive. I'd probably be a regular here if I lived in Seville, great time and wonderful food.

Pros: Beans and Rice, Drinks!

Visit in late June - Edit

In common with other visitors to this resturant it was a little tricky to find.
Being a mixed veggie and meat place my other half was suited as well. The best thing for me was the traditional almond and garlic soup. The chief came out to explain how she had made it. She didn`t speak english and I don`t do spanish but we communicated through the language of food and sound effects, excellent.

Pros: Fast service, Friendly service, Excellent soup

Cons: Finding it

Great menu - Edit

as mentioned by others little hard to find but worth it. Food really nice and loads of veggie, vegan and few meat options. Labelling great and menu is so varied will suit the health sort of person or like me if your happy with fried food. I had lentil stew which nice bit stodgy as was my boyfriend veg soup but v healthy, I also had veggies chicken nuggets not so healthy but tasted good. Having meat on menu good if you're travelling with meat eater keeps everyone happy

Pros: Good Food, English varied and labelled menu, nice decor/atmosphere

Cons: little hard to find

OK place - Edit

unusual location, very popular it seems. patio seating, but courtyard blocks sun. is indeed tricky to find. english menu & servers. separate veggie insert with a lot of choices, although i found the brown rice soapy-tasting. entrees not "healthy" so to speak (lots of fried options). lentil soup was amazingly delicious, though. mentioned in Lonely Planet guide. rations & media portions abound for almost each item. some dishes OK.

Pros: lentil soup, vegetarian menu, english spoken

Cons: flavours off, lots of fried items

great place - Edit

Had some great tapas here and nice cocktails - went on a monday and it was quiet so got a seat outside. had nice range of food. My daughter who is one also really enjoyed the place. can be hard to find but worth it.

Pros: great menu, good location, good cocktails

Wonderful lunch - Edit

We had a great lunch here. It's amazing to find such a variety of vegetarian and vegan selections on a menu in Spain. We particularly enjoyed the black beans and rice and the Yucca.

Pros: excellent food, great selection, helpful to English speakers

Lovely - Edit

Very nice little place, open during siesta, which is nice. Not terribly expensive, and still tasty. Menus in English and in Spanish, with clearly marked vegan and vegetarian options. I got the habanita eggplant, which was yummy. Sad thing is is I couldn't find it again to save my life. Though Spanish may not be needed to order there, it might be helpful when asking others for directions to the place!

Pros: yummy, veggie friendly, reasonably priced

an oasis of delicious food - Edit

2 visits over 3 days confirmed that this is a terrific little place. Great food (some meat dishes too, but all very clearly labelled on menu). Very good price and overall jolly nice. Bit tricky to find but ok with a good street map and the map on the Habanita website.

Pros: very tasty food, good wine, good value

Good place, good spot - Edit

Not exactly cheap, but reasonable, with various portion sizes, which is nice. The vegetarian and vegan labels on the menu were a pleasant surprise, and the food was good--not the best we've had here (Almanara), but quite good.
It's near the hip Plaza Alfalfa, close to a lot of good bars, and should you somehow not find anything on their menu to your taste, there's a very good pizza place with good veggie pies (not vegan) right around the corner.

Pros: good food, good location, clear marking of veg items

Habanita, Seville, Spain - Edit

I visited this restaurant on the advice of other users of this site and have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with the positive reviews that it has been given. We received a genuinely warm welcome (the proprieter spoke good English and presented us with menus in Eng and Spanish w vegan/veg options clearly marked), the food was delicious and served very quickly, the place itself is cosy, bright and clean and had at least one highchair, the veggie menu was extensive but there was plenty of meat options to keep my carnivore husband happy, and for a bonus it is only 10 mins walk from the cathedral in Seville (you do need a decent map to find it though). You can have a variety of portion sizes (tapas, rationes and full meal size) for most dishes and although the dessert menu was limited on the day to 3 cakes the white chocolate cake that I chose was to die for. The price was comparable to most tapas places, I certainly felt that it was neither too expensive nor particularly cheap. As an eg of dishes I had: roasted goats cheese and jam, Roquefort croquettes (very yummy), Leek, courgette and feta cheesecake and Habanita aubergine bake - all as tapas sizes - they were about 2.50e each and came with bread. I hope you try it and I hope you love it as much as we did, a real find!

Pros: Lovely food, good range , Warm welcome, Children welcome

Cons: A bit difficult to find

oasis in sevilla - Edit

tucked in, yes, but easy to find with google map (or turism office map). great vegan and veggie food, well marked (not everything is vg) ... loved rice with mushrooms and tofu, also liked the rice with black beans (frijolitos). outside and inside tables (with AC, though they allow smoking), provides a calm respite from a busy (and hot!) city... friendly staff... been there already 3 times in a week!

Pros: vegan and veggie food, nice, relaxed atmosphere, reliably open

Cons: some smoking

Tucked away - Edit

We ate here in Jan 07 - it seems very popular (an american raving about it whilst we were there)- alot of small 'tapas' type dishes mainly make up the veggie meal, however alot of these were Cuban based which may be a problem for some (I tried them - wasn't too keen myself, but you might like them!). We didn't feel inclined to eat here again, though - I didn't really want to rate it 'v good' nor 'fair' would have preferred 'adequate'

Pros: some veggie choice, Is obviously popular

Cons: Difficult to find, limited veggie choice

Habanita, Seville - Edit

I breezed in here for Sunday lunch. The waitress spoke less English than I speak Spanish (that's saying something) but ordering wasn't an issue. Vegan vegetarian offerings are clearly marked on the menu. I chose a few of the vv options from the tapas menu and away I was. A nice alternative for when vegetarium is closed. I'd rate Habanita high than 3/5 below if it was 100% vegetarian.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Decent opening hours

Cons: Not 100% vegetarian

Return to Sevilla Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Habanita closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5594 times since Aug 2007.